[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doorways
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: stalkan.jpg (564 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
stalkan.jpg
564 KB, 2560x1440
Who else noticed a strange phenomenon where walking through doorways - any kind; makes you you forget things. IE What you were trying to do, what you were talking about, what you were thinking, what time it is, etc etc. Is this why Ancient forums and gathering grounds were huge rooms / spaces or town squares?

Can anyone dish out theories on why this happens; evidence helps too.
>>
Psychological, perhaps? Doorways represent a separation in space -- perhaps they create a similar separation or break in the consciousness?
>>
Leaving thoughts in rooms is a bug in the memory palace system.
Just put the thought in the room you're going to before you go.
>>
http://nrgiseternal.com/index.php/topic,1525.msg14665.html#msg14665

This has the answer you seek op
>>
Its a psychological phenomena called threshold syndrome, basically your brain relates doors to another set of things, rules behavior. Etc. That "reboot" can make youbforget things. Solution: Go back tobthe other room and back out.
>>
i heared its like this: your brain connects different thoughts and memories in our mind. not only that, but as well what we smell, see, feel, where we are etc.
now you get the idea to go to the kitchen and get some snacks. the moment you leave the room a new part of your brain/mind loads, the one of the floorway, and later then of the kitchen. the idea with the snacks however had a connection with the livingroom where you no longer are, and thus it just slips to the back of your mind and you forget it for the time being.
if you then go back to the living room there is good chance you remember what you wanted to do because the connection witht he livingroom to the snacks is reestablished and makes it easier to remember
>>
>>17906245
somewhat on topic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci
>>
It's the same with how revisiting a place where you had an experience can make it easier to recall that experience.

Technically anything can trigger a memory, a sight, taste/smell, sound, feeling or thought. A location is usually more than just what you saw there (more stimuli). Memory is quite strongly linked to physical position.
>>
>>17906245
Haven't you ever watched QI?
>>
>>17907286
Nope.
>>
>>17906245
It's from the change in context. I don't know as it's ever happened to me, but I also don't know that it would've happened to you if you hadn't been told that that happens to some people when they walk between rooms.
>>
I take a sideways look at life. Imagine if we didn't have doors. It'd be like we were all living in one massive room. Spooky.
>>
It's called the doorway effect, for whatever reason, it causes a psychological change that makes you forget things.
It's nothing spoopy and mystical, now go read a book and stop being retarded.
>>
>>17907451
Science is just an organised conspiracy to discredit magic.
>>
>>17907476

Yes sir
>>
>>17906245
It's a real thing. I remember reading about it somewhere. Doors are considered, "event barriers" so in your head when you walk through a door your brain considers it as a new event, at least partially separate from whatever you were doing before. This mental separation is what may cause you to forget about whatever it was you were going to do in that new room.
>>
>>17906684
this is the correct answer.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.