[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meditation General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Can we get a mediation general thread running, /x/? Dump what you've got on meditation- links, advice, any information you would like to give would be helpful. Hopefully we can get enough to have a proper OP with links next time. If you're seeking enlightenment, inner peace, or the secrets of the mind's innermost workings, Meditation General is for you!
>>
>>17888755
I've been meditating for about half a year now in the Burmese sitting style and want to try to move to Lotus. What kind of exercises should I do to make myself flexible enough for it?
>>
somehow put my back out from my first time meditating. what's the best sitting position for someone incredibly lanky?
>>
>>17888755
I used to practice zen meditation in the lotus position as a teen. I've also tried yoga, self-hypnosis, psychedelics, and mindfulness.

Nowadays, my best meditations are done whilst contemplating the Tao, often sitting in a chair, reading collected commentary on the I Ching.

I also enjoy smoking an unfiltered cigarette, sitting with my feet firmly planted on the ground, and my spine straightened.

Finally, I have a tick with my right hand, where I allow it to take whatever sign feels comfortable at the moment. It looks odd from an outside perspective, but I find it really helps me keep my mind on a task.
>>
>>17888842
Have you tried a chair? It worked for me, planting my feet and keeping a straight back.
>>
>>17888842

Best of all positions is the full lotus, with proper cushions. Second best is probably seiza, with a pillow between your ankles.
>>
>>17888852
Thank you for your contribution, may you find peace and purpose in your meditations.
>>
Any good books for beginners?
>>
>>17889746
While not in specific reference to meditation, I found some of the information in Yamamoto Tsunetomo's "Hagakure" very helpful in contemplating the purpose and responsibilities of one's life.

Sun Tzu's "Art of War" is another good jumping off point for Far East philosophy.

The collected teachings of the master himself, Confucius, are also particularly poignant in this regard.

For a more traditional approach, I recommend religious texts including, but not limited to, the Bhagavad Gita and literal translations of the Old Testament.

Beyond that, (in no particular order,) I suggest reading excerpts from Elisabeth Haich, Carl Jung, E.C Whitmont, Paracelsus, Plotinus, Abraham Lincoln, Marcus Aurelius, and Chandogya Upanishad, amongst others.

There is no right or wrong way to start the unraveling of the ego, all that is necessary is an earnest desire to learn and apply a new way of looking at things.

Good luck!
>>
>>17889746

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind.

The Three Pillars of Zen.

>>17889907

Good lord...
>>
>>17890098
I like to read.
>>
>>17889907
I neglected to mention, if you prefer a more sensual approach, both the tenants of Kundalini and the Kama Sutra can be particularly helpful.
>>
>>17888755
A study showing that mediation increases grey matter in the brain. There are several others that suggest this to.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3004979/

"grey matter includes regions of the brain involved in muscle control, and sensory perception such as seeing and hearing, memory, emotions, speech, decision making, and self-control"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_matter#Function
>>
>>17888827
The lotus sitting style requires flexibility? Isn't it the same as Indian style?
>>
>>17890655
>The lotus sitting style requires flexibility?

Some, yes, but flexibility is easily acquired through practice.

>Isn't it the same as Indian style?

Who knows?
>>
>>17890655
No cause your left foot is above your right leg hoisted by the knee sort of. Look at pics.
>>
>>17890655
What we call indian style, the hindi people call the half lotus.
>>
>>17890655
>requires flexibility?
It does you get better I was not able to go into this position for some time but a little stretching and yoga helped.
>>
Meditation only makes me see demons around me trying very hard to get close to me but not succeeding. Reading the Bible makes them back up and go away. Calling on Christ makes them open up a path in front of me.

I think I've finally woken up to who is protecting me.
>>
>>17893199

Eh, fuck off. You're lying and off-topic.
>>
>>>meditation
>chill out, be cool and peaceful brah
>don't hurt anyone. reflect on peace
>love yourself. but not more than others
>be patient. learn more
>>
What is /x/'s favorite position for meditation? Based Burmese position here, just try and get your legs to fall asleep in that!
>>
>>17893504
>meditate sitting down
>meditate standing up
>meditate at all times, all the time
>favourite position?
>Nigga life is my favourite position for meditation
>damn.
>>
>>17893199
Funny, I've always found the teachings of the New Testament to be rather divisive and (somewhat ironically) ethnocentric to the white European agenda, in specific regard to the cycles of dominion and revolution.

This is not to say that your interpretation of the legend of Christ couldn't be a comfort in your meditations.

I do, however, find it very unlikely that you're being honest.
>>
>>17893504

Full lotus, though I've sat in seiza quite a bit in the past.
>>
>>17890260
any specific recommendations for texts about kundalini? a quick google search brought up a bunch of new age stuff that is too recent for what i'm looking for.
>>
>>17893199
Get your Jesus crap out of here!
>>
>>17893733
Look into Glen j Morris specifically pathnotes . Or 'cave meditation'
>>
>>17893199
I find this to be bullshit. I'm a Christian and meditate every day so you can just go back the the Westboro Baptist Church.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.