[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone actually believe in Mermaids?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: The Moon.jpg (343 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
The Moon.jpg
343 KB, 2880x1800
It'd be kinda interesting if it weren't for that mockmentary.

Pic completely unrelated.
>>
>>17879241
its definitely possible due to convergent evolution. But I don't really see any benefits of any aquatic organisms to develop body parts similar to humans in order to have better chances of surviving. But at the same time, I dont know what it takes to have best chance of survival in deep water. So don't take my word for it
>>
>>17879250
Perhaps in order to use tools? But then again, the Octopus seem to be the ocean's solution to that.
>>
File: crypto_cephalopods.jpg (126 KB, 1024x748) Image search: [Google]
crypto_cephalopods.jpg
126 KB, 1024x748
Mermaid sightings were dreamed up by horny sailors long ago. Cephalopods are infinitely more interesting.
>>
>>17879241
You're momma does
>>
What is the mockumentary? The Little Mermaid?
>>
okay but is there any truths to mermaids
>>
>>17879858
No. "Mermaids: The New Evidence" or whatever that one was called
>>
>>17879241
What does that mockumentary have to do with anything?
Thats like saying aliens arent interesting because of The X-Files
>>
can u marry a mermaid??
does the bakery have to make the wedding cake?
what about mermaid abortion

ask trump pls i need to know b4 i cast my ballot
>>
A lot of people think it was manatees. People think, how could sailors, even as drunk as sailors, think a manatee looks like a half person? They are thinking of manatees the way they see them in aquariums. Look from above into murky waters, and you'll see the "tail" part vanishing. It would look roughly human-sized, and lateral, not like a fish which has a vertical tail. It looks very odd. I think it was likely a manatee.

However, creatures that have a fish like body but a humanoid or closer to humanoid torso, that seems like a handy thing to develop. Especially among calm atolls and warm reefs. I wouldn't bet on such a thing existing, but I also would accept it if they found one. Arms are dang "handy."
>>
Much like OP's photo, all evidence we have of mermaids has turned out to be two things in a composition, stuck together to make a new thing that we can admire, but never see for ourselves.
>>
>>17879241
There are sighting reports, enough to fill a certain number of books. This would suggest that some people actually believe in Mermaids as they claim to have seen one themselves.

I heard a second hand report from someone I knew personally who heard a loud splash (like a tailfin on water) and saw a human elbow lowering into the surface when they turned around off the coast of the pacific ocean. If it were a person swimming or even diving you'd think they would eventually resurface, but they never did.
>>
>>17881000
Sp00ky
>>
>>17880986
Well, you can see something close to my photo. Get on top of a tall hill on a night which a supermoon takes place. Almost as big.
>>
>>17879241
I made love to one once on a beach in Florida. My gf at the time even broke up with me over it.
>>
File: hook-mermaid1.jpg (31 KB, 700x320) Image search: [Google]
hook-mermaid1.jpg
31 KB, 700x320
>>17881059
I agree.

I spoke about Mermaids during Cryptid of the Week segment here at 10 mins 19 seconds
https://youtu.be/rK1bIqszw34?t=10m19s

includes some other well known reports and the history of Mermaids.

Anyone remember the Mermaids from Hook? That was a great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qih68ZSni4Q
>>
>>17881065
That is by far the biggest lie I've ever seen
>>
>>17881157
I bet Pan had a hard on that entire time. I wonder if he was actually contemplating just staying there.

Man that's a great movie.
>>
The question, rather, is can you have secs with mermaids.
>>
>>17881062
Not really. Not even close to as big. Best you can do is wait for a supermoon (which isn't all that bigger than a regular moon) and use a telephoto lens. You have to be far enough from the landscape you want to capture to get it all in there. Then it will seem pretty big, which is honestly what the photographer probably did in the OP pic to get the lighting closer to right, using a longer exposure time to brighten it up a bit, then s/he took another photo of the moon with 1/30 to get the exposure right, and with an even longer focal length so that the resolution would more closely match. He shot in RAW most likely, and spent the better part of an hour in lightroom and photoshop getting the composite just right to make this gorgeous photo. I'm sure if you use your naked eye with your method, it would look this big, but try it sometime.

And that composite method, and level of care and craft is exactly what the fake "mermaid" remains found thus far have benefited from when people try to fool the public with mermaid hoaxes.

All that said, the >>17881157 post is nifty! Fun!

And while I'm not saying that mermaids don't exist, I'm answering the question of whether there is any hard evidence of them or not. And that answer is no. Really, we could look at that lack of evidence as an opportunity to explore more of the oceans and find out all the things we can discover down there. I'm excited!
>>
>>17883269
>Man that's a great movie.
it really is
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.