[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, long story short I'm making a videogame which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: textbox.gif (14 KB, 960x192) Image search: [Google]
textbox.gif
14 KB, 960x192
Hey guys, long story short I'm making a videogame which features sanity effects and horror and stuff.

I don't have the money to get people to voice over the dialog. So I've got two options - stick with text boxes, or implement text to speech. The reason I'm even thinking of adding TTS is because I think it could be really uncanny, and that's one of the feels I'm going for. On the other hand, it could just sound really hilarious and kill the tension.

Is there something inbetween? I remember a text to speech engine having a whisper mode, which could be kind of creepy. Or maybe I could chop the speech up and create some kind of dialect, like they do with Animal Crossing but not so dumb sounding.

What if I made the text to speech a sanity effect? The more insane your character gets, the more likely the words on screen begin to talk to you? I want some of the sanity effects to break the fourth wall.

Maybe this is a stupid idea all together. I figured you guys might be able to point me in the right direction, design-wise. I know how to do it technically, I'm just not sure if it's worth bothering to implement if the effect is just going to be wrong.
>>
Primarily text based.
As your sanity gets worse, you hear whispers. (If you want anon, I know some voice actors)
At the far end of the sanity scale, it's full blown screaming
(Pro tip: if your doing sanity stuff, don't only focus on screams or unheard whispers. Add animal noises, like scratching.)
>>
You could find people who want to do voice acting and would be willing to do this for free for exposure.
>>
>>17858967
I took the microsoft anna voice and pitched it down with audacity. If you like the way this sounds, you could just do this. Experiment with different voices and see what you can come up with.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0fA48DoeLAj
This: >>17860695
is an idea you should consider.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.