[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wales
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png (123 KB, 830x498) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png
123 KB, 830x498
Anything paranormal or occult about Wales? I've been thinking about trying to study a Celtic language and hear that Welsh is easiest for a native English speaker. Would I do better by learning Scottish or Irish Gaelic?
>>
>>17852324
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
>>
>>17852411
"Saint Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the Church of Saint Tysilio of the red cave"
>>
>>17852324
Wales has a long history of Magic, not of the Christian kind. The invoking of benevolent and evil spirits- faeries and demons alike, go to any stone circle, any Waterfall, any castle, you'll find a story linked to magic behind it.
>>
File: WelshSpeedDating.gif (2 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
WelshSpeedDating.gif
2 MB, 260x260
>>17852324
>>
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
i'm kind of fascinated with wales myself. coming from an Irish family it would be my favorite part of mainland Britain

isn't there a famous actress from Wales who's really into being Welsh? Catherine Zeta-Jones!

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls059868541/

(pic is somebody named Eve Myles, cool name eh?)
>>
>>17852447

Are there interesting texts written in the language? Or is there even a tradition of writing about these sorts of topics?
>>
>>17852509
>http://www.imdb.com/list/ls059868541/

I had no idea. I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones was some sort of hispanic. Interesting.
>>
>>17852512
i'm welsh, ironically i don't know much about wales' history tho
but there should be plenty of interesting welsh literature we're kinda known for writing, look into medieval welsh poems and shit idk
>>
>>17852560
well they have a dragon on their flag. that's pretty pagan/satanic?
>>
The Mabinogion is pretty interesting. It includes some earlier King Arthur writings-- when stories about him still described something more like a tribal warlord than the "round table" Arthur that would come later.
>>
>>17852324
You wont find much, if you're not native/raised Welsh (northern/rural Wales) we don't share much in terms of text, songs or writings with outsiders because quite frankly it's boring as all fuck.

The red dragon on our flag represents Wales, in a folk talk there was also a white dragon and both dragons slept under a mountain, when some dumb cunts tried to build a fort on the mountain it kept falling over so a wizard told them some scaleys were in an underground lake sleeping, the dumb cunts woke them up and the red dragon whipped the tar out of the white one. The white dragon represented the Saxons.

Don't bother learning Welsh, you'll never use it unless you live in northern Wales, you'll probably get called a sheepfucker if you use it anywhere else.

There's nothing really spooky about us except maybe Devil's Bridge and the Afanc, which is like a water dwelling demon that can shapeshift and lure people to come swim so it can eat them.
>>
File: donnie-darko-8.jpg (40 KB, 714x303) Image search: [Google]
donnie-darko-8.jpg
40 KB, 714x303
i'm from North Wales, I've always felt theres a spooky vibe around. Lots of UFO sightings, notably the Berwyn incident, lots of woods and remote space for all sorts of happenings. Obviously there is consistent reports of large black cats and mauled sheep, such that the local MP here did petition the welsh government in that half assed way.

I've heard occasional stories of seeing weird hooded cultists and witch things in the woods but who knows
>>
So, for those familiar... where will I find the most/best occult-y writings?

Irish or Scottish Gaelic or Welsh?

I'm aware of other languages like Breton and Cornish, but I'm pretty positive there won't be much written material there.
>>
>>17852324
Not language orientated but its worth having a look at the skirrid inn if you want spooky goings on.
>>
ANGRY SHEEP GHOSTS
>>
>>17852324
Learn Irish.

They still think they see Leprechauns and shit so you'll be well away.
>>
Wasn't the druid spiritual centre in Anglesey? must be some spooky shit going on round there
>>
>>17852659
I'm studying in Scotland at the moment and I've heard tales of the kelpie, which is apparently similar to the Afanc that you're talking about. Forgive my ignorance if there is any as I'm not from the UK, but is there a chance that they both could be similar creatures?

From what I've heard the kelpie tends to look a lot like a horse and it's seen near bodies of water. It'll get people to stroke its body and their hands would get stuck on the kelpie, glued as if. And they'd just drag them into the water to be drowned.
>>
Gareth Bale was once a human. Today he looks like an ape
>>
>>17853757
Is this sasquatch related?
>>
>>17853730
I suppose it's possible, but most say the Afanc in its regular form is like a large crocodile or beaver.

Maybe they just take on any form they please.
>>
good thread bump
>>
>>17852324
>CTRL+F "Merlin"
>CTRL+F "Myrddin"
>no results
I mean, at least Arthur's mentioned, but goddamn.
>>
The most paranornal thing about Wales is that they have come so far in the Euros this year
>>
>>17852324
There's a red hairy monster that tries to fuck my sheep, turns out it was just a Welshman.
>>
>>17852722
Which county are you from?
>>
>>17852612
Its heraldic. England used to have a white one.
>>
>>17852612

there's a dragon in the bible,

or if it's not in the bible St. George and the Dragon is a Christian thing
>>
>>17852659
What's the deal with the sheep shagging jokes, anyway? (I ask this as someone with Welsh heritage btw, so no offence)

They seem to go back a long way. Is there an origin story?
>>
>>17854210
Iceland wales final
>>
>>17857243
I heard it has something to do with the penalty for stealing sheep. IIRC the penalty for stealing a sheep was losing a hand but the penalty for shagging a sheep was losing a finger or two, so whenever anyone got caught stealing sheep they'd just claim they were shagging it so they could get off with a lighter sentence
>>
>>17852520
> I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones was some sort of hispanic.

she is, she has spanish ancestry. Zeta isn't a welsh name
>>
>>17852411
The welsh language is strange as hell
I had a teacher who spook 7 languages fluently and he was learning Welsh he said it was such a odd language
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.