[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aquatic ape theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 15
Hey /x/nons! Just discovered the aquatic ape theory.it has definitely caught my attention ..clueless, what I know..theories some time during our evolution from jellyfish like creatures to hairless apes we went aquatic for a period of evolution due to change in climate and adapting ?
>>
File: 66919456.jpg (103 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
66919456.jpg
103 KB, 400x400
>>17837575
>>
It's one of those things that's a solid hypothesis, but not supported by any real evidence.
>>
>>17837579
>>
One of my cousins was born with a tail. .it always reminded me of evolution. ..we even called him monkey boy because of it...it was removed at birth but we kids were cruel. .now I'm thinking dorsal? Dolphin boy? I don't think we had mermaid tails but I'm guessing a tale remaining for balance? Who knows. .and comparing us to other sea mammals. ..were we dolphin-like or sea lion-esq ?
>>
>>17837579
It was made for aquahumans you racist prick.
>>
>>17837580
Yes, no doubt in part because academia is so set in its ways that it refuses to fund alternate hypotheses. Every real scientist had to deal with ridicule in their era. You have to want to expose the truth more than you want to have a career if you want to change the way science thinks.
>>
It makes sense but think farther back, when we were furry little primates and making the move to bipedialism. Also think flooded freshwater plains. I'm very convinced a move to a watery environment influenced our ecological adaptation at one point.

Also this is something that "mainstream" science is aware off. I learned about this in anthropology school in the 90s, it just a theory though, like oh so much of anthropology. No reason to get bent out of shape about it.

OP your pic is too small.
>>
>>17837575
I think it has some credence, because humans ARE very much dependent on water and much better adapted to its presence than any other apes.
>>
>>17837719
probably more like hippo or otter and way before the genus Homo
>>
IMO the theory is shit. Even back when humans were developing waterways had too many predators and diseases for that to be an effective way of life.
>>
>>17837575
why would we have hair at all
>>
according to my frequent and intense lsd fueled studies of the history of my molecules we definitely existed as some kind of merpeople before we walked on dirt permanently. lends credit to atlantis and whatnot. itd be neat to hear scientists say it but im too wrapped up in my own delusions to think im wrong
>>
File: iNyCqTH.jpg (186 KB, 1223x460) Image search: [Google]
iNyCqTH.jpg
186 KB, 1223x460
copying and pasting the points I wrote in the other thread

I believe in this 100%

>What is the Aquatic Ape Theory?

it basically proposes humans only evolved to our current form because we were semi aquatic (shore dwelling) at one point. There is a lot of interesting points for this.

-humans were forced to become bipedal due to how much time we spent wading in the water (had to stand to breathe)

-human babies have a dive reflex out of the womb.

-humans have very little hair compared to the other apes, but same as marine mammals like seals, dolphins, walruses and whales.

-humans have the ability to store massive amounts of fat, same as the forementioned marine mammals. The other apes cant do this. Fat helps with buoyancy and keeping warm.

-humans got the raw materal to evolve a large brain and intelligence because our diet was high in omega 3/6s from shellfish and other marine food. Compared to the dumb chimps and gorillas stuck eating leaves.

-humans have webbed fingers, unlike other apes. This was the start of a path we never went down in the end. (or did we.....were mermaids the legends of a divergent subspecies?)

-humans have a relatively long penis, this helped in underwater mating

-humans are one of the very few mammals that has a default front-front sex position ( missionary). This is only practiced by marine mammals. Land mammals do doggie style.

theres a whole lot of other stuff, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head. The webbing between our fingers sold me on this theory. There is a reason we have it.
>>
File: 1460839617119.png (856 KB, 3072x2170) Image search: [Google]
1460839617119.png
856 KB, 3072x2170
>>17837575
>>
>>17838704
It has no credence at all. Every living being is dependent on water. We are not specially adapted to water, many other land animals can swim, but it doesn't mean they can live in water. Look what happens to our skin when we spent a short time in it. We can't use oxygen dissolved in water. We're purely land creatures.
>>17837871
It's what everyone that believes in stupid theories says, but if you ask them for evidence, they can't say anything. Science is based on evidence, not pure belief in something just because it sounds "cool and new".
>>
>>17839957
>
-humans are one of the very few mammals that has a default front-front sex position ( missionary). This is only practiced by marine mammals. Land mammals do doggie style.

Absolutely true... oh wait except chimps and bonobos.
>>
>>17839957
>default front-front sex position ( missionary).
No we don't.
>>
>>17840011
By "some credence", I didn't mean that we actually lived in water. But things like the human nose, as opposed to all other apes', being shaped so we can go in the water without water immediately entering our airways, and things like that do mean, in my opinion, that water played some part in our evolution.
>>
>>17840045
We're not even born with an ability to swim. We have to learn it. It's a dumb "theory" not based in reality. Saying that water played part in our evolution is painfully obvious, because, like I said, all life comes from water. A topic like this does not belong on /x/, because most people here lack even the most elementary biology knowledge from school, therefore they will easily buy even the most outrageous bullshit as long as it has a pretty illustration and story to go along with it.
>>
File: xcltQCH.jpg (63 KB, 620x640) Image search: [Google]
xcltQCH.jpg
63 KB, 620x640
>>
>>17840174
>We're not even born with an ability to swim
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_swimming
>>
>>17840195
kekekek
>>
>>17840195
that alone should people make oppose this shit.
We shouldnt give fat people more excuses to be disgusting
>>
>>17840224

Just let them return beneath the sea so we don't have to look at them any more
>>
>>17840196
An infant is surrounded by a fluid, they don't swim! Throw an infant in the water, see what happens (being surrounded by water is common for all mammals, humans aren't special in this regard). All oxygen and nourishment comes from the mother. It's as if you people ignore all the evidence for us being land-based and grasp for straws. You ignore that we're killed by water.
If we had an ancestor like that, then we wouldn't have this discussion right now. Like I said, it's another "theory" that is closer to wishful thinking, than any, serious, scientific research.
>>
>>17840259

this isnt about it being in the womb.
>>
>>17839957
Aren't webbed fingers and toes a hallmark of inbreeding? Normal people don't have that, anon.
>>
We wuz fish.
>>
>>17840195
Whales returning to the sea is a beautiful sight.
>>
>>17840283
Webbed fingers are typical in chromosome disorders, yes. Pic related is a retarded person.
>>
If we were adapted to a semi aquatic lifestyle why do our bodies literally rot if exposed to water for relatively short periods compared to aquatic mammals?
>>
>>17840288
>>17840195
I like the bullshit they feed themselves about fat being healthy. Did you ever see a fat, old person? Of course not, they all die before they're 40. Basically, they're living proof that being fat is both physically and mentally unhealthy, medical science serves as just additional proof for that.
>>
>>17840295
>Did you ever see a fat, old person? Of course not, they all die before they're 40

What? I mean, the rest of your statement is alright, but this literally makes you sound as if you never came into contact with the outside world.
>>
>>17840301
did you ever see a really fat, really old person?
>>
>>17840301
Maybe it's because I'm not American and firstly, fat people are rare here, secondly, they die fast and early due to heart failure, non-alcoholic liver disease and other, typical diseases, which are connected to excessive weight.
Everyone here knows being fat is a bad thing, fat kids are bullied to lose weight and they're thankful for that when older.
>>
>>17840305
>>17840309
I'm not American either, but I get a lot of work at retirement homes. Actually most old people seem to be overweight.
>>
>>17840321
overweight, maybe.
but landwhale style is pretty rare
>>
>>17840321
Perhaps you're thinking about old men and beer bellies. I've been working at hospitals, mainly with x-rays, and never seen a fat, old person. The only landwhale I've seen in here works at a nearby shop. She's a single mom and even though she's young, no man wants to have anything to do with her now. Even the biggest cucks don't want that, since they'd be known as pig fuckers AND megacuckolds, because nobody in their right mind would take an used goods single mom. It's only okay when you're a single dad, but even then, there are single women that would marry you.
>>
>>17840326
Landwhale style is generally pretty rare. i only know two of this kind and both are well over 60.

Sure it's not healthy and they generally die earlier, but they still have a chance of getting old. Some people are just lucky.
>>
>>17840339
See, you only have seen one of that kind. They are just to rare to make a general statement like "they all die before they are 40".
>>
>>17840345
They are rare exactly for that reason. Nonexistent when old for that reason as well.
Nothing is worse than a fat woman. A fat guy can be funny and a likable personality, while fat woman embodies all the bad parts of a human personality - lack of self-control, constant whining and untrustworthiness, to name a few.
>>
>>17839177
>waterways
I think the hypothesis is based on coastal areas and islands, not waterways.
>>
>>17840358
Men in general are more like able as people than women. When obesity is a factor men often compensate by developing their likeable personality traits, whereas women often double down on their dislike able traits. I like how this thread has become /r9k/ and /fit/. OP just wanted to talk about mermaids.
>>
>>17839957
I'll add some off the top of my head:

- Our nose is shaped in such a way that it prevents water flowing into our nose when diving into water unlike the other apes where it would rush in

- If you put a chimpanzee face-down into water their heart-rate rises, they inhale water and drown - if you do the same to a human their heart-rate drops and they close up their airways

- newborn human babies will hold their breath in water (not sure if this is what you meant by dive reflex)

- the fine hairs on the human back follow the pattern water resistance would make on the back as you swim (something like that, anyway)

- a time spent semi-aquatic would help explain how humans evolved successfully between quadrupedal and bipedal (thanks to the support of water)
>>
>>17840011
>We are not specially adapted to water
dive reflex; subcutaneous fat; nose bridge; hairlessness; newborns have an instinct to hold their breath in water.
>>
>>17840580
>If you put a chimpanzee face-down into water their heart-rate rises

wouldnt the same thing happen with a human, who doesnt know whats going on?
>>
>>17840174
we're not born with an ability to walk or speak either, and children will swim earlier than they can walk or speak.
>>
>>17839957
>-humans got the raw materal to evolve a large brain and intelligence because our diet was high in omega 3/6s from shellfish and other marine food. Compared to the dumb chimps and gorillas stuck eating leaves.

WIth this you're suggesting that all marine carnivores should be on par with humans in terms of intelligence.
>>
>>17840259
>we're killed by water.
nowhere near as easily as our nearest relative is.

>We believe that new exhibits should avoid the use of water moats as a primary containment strategy for chimpanzees. Too many chimpanzees have died as a result of drowning and this risk should be avoided when renovated or constructing a new facility.
http://www.lpzoo.org/conservation-science/projects/chimpanzee-ssp/goals
>>
>>17840283
all humans have webbing between the thumb and first finger, unlike our nearest relative.
>>
>>17840292
adaptations don't have to be perfect, it only has to be sustainable - and there are enough tribes who live by fishing and diving as evidence that it's sustainable.
>>
>>17840593
>dive reflex
isnt exclusive to aquatic mammals. it is just a beneficial feature, so it didnt get lost in our evolution

>subcutaneous fat
this is nothing water specific either. you will find this in almost every mammal (and other animals)

>nose bridge
care to ellaborate on that?

>hairlessness
this has to do with heat regulation.
We come from very hot habitats and sweating was just a "better idea"
>>
>>17840605
because it is way easier
>>
>>17840601
Holding back one's breath in water is pretty instinctual. People only drown when they start to panic or when the CO2 in their blood gets so high that their body tries to force them to breathe.
>>
>>17840601
It seems like it happens even to infants.
>The mammalian diving reflex [...] exists in weaker versions in other mammals, including humans, in particular babies up to 6 months old
>Bradycardia is the first response to submersion. Immediately upon facial contact with cold water, the human heart rate slows down ten to twenty-five percent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex
>>
>>17840614
opportunity isn't enough in itself, having an environment which is amenable to higher intelligence isn't any use if the mutation towards higher intelligence never happens, or if there isn't enough selective pressure to spread the mutation.

I'm not saying the other anon is 100% right, though - in my opinion it isn't the omegas specifically so much as richer nutrients in general from both seafood and red meat together - and a widely-varied omnivorous diet overall.
>>
>>17840625
the nose bridge by sheltering the nostrils helps to stop water rushing into the nostrils in a head-first dive.

>hot habitats
subcutaneous fat is a more effective insulator in fluid, unlike hair which is a more effective insulator in air.

aquatic mammals tend to be hairless and use subcutaneous fat to insulate, mammals adapted to live in dry heat tend to have short-hair coats.
>>
>>17840633
>>17840644
alright
thanks, I didnt know that this was such a human thing
>>
You guys know there is absolutely no evidence for the aquatic ape theory right? Just that fake mockumentary.
>>
>>17840673
It's not like the shape of our nose really prevents water from flowing in. It is just a mild annoyance anyway. Animals dont just run full of water, jew nose or not.
Pretty sure the shape has more to do with breathing and smelling.

>subcutaneous fat is a more effective insulator in fluid
that might be true, but it is still a very common feature among all animals, regardles of the habitat

>mammals adapted to live in dry heat tend to have short-hair coats
this is true. But we evolved to be the best "sweaters" in the animal kingdom. Sweating in the way we do it, is indeed very special to us.
It turns out that this a very effective technique to regulate body heat (except when you are in the water). It is one of the main reasons we became the best persistance hunters in the world.

for the record, I like this hypothesis and dont think it is absolutely implausible. It's just not as obvious as some people make it seem to be
>>
>>17840295
You've obviously never worked retail.

Have you ever had a morbidly obese 60-something lady on oxygen hand you a food stamp card and then get angry at you and call you a lazy shit for not processing the elaborate food stamp system quickly enough?

This is a pretty common sort of experience.
>>
>>17840846
Oh boy. How can you even get to this situation? How can you get so fucking fat?
>>
>>17840839
it's the impact of water rushing into the nose, not so much whether it flows in as you're swimming.
>the shape has more to do with breathing and smelling
if so I think it would resemble other primates' nostrils.
>best persistence hunters in the world
As I understood it almost no human tribes currently use persistence hunting and the handful who do don't rely on it. Once you have tools you don't need it:
>chase an animal across the savannah to tire it out
>spear it with 20 spears right then and there
If it was important in human hunting it would have to have been before tool use, I think.
>>
>>17840295
I completely 100% agree that fat is disgusting, but I work at a long term care facility. Majority of our population is 85 and up and majority of them are fat asses... Js.. I don't agree with the choice to be over wieght, it's disgusting and irresponsible, but don't make shit up when you obviously have no clue what you're talking about...
>>
>>17840925
well, the persistance hunting goes hand in hand with the usage of tools
>chase an animal across the savannah to tire it out
no primitive tool will help you with that part. if you cant shoot it with a surprise spear, you will have to beat it with endurance since most savannah animals are faster than us.
Until we had domesticated animals, this was crucial for our survival.
>>
>>17840340
No, no, my facility is full of rich fat fucks that we have to use a special mechanical lift to get the out of bed.

You guys just don't see them because they end up at skilled care facilities like mine.
>>
>>17839957
>human babies have a dive reflex out of the womb.
They spend literally their entire lives in amniotic fluid up until that point, you know
>>
>>17837575
>posts picture for ants
>>
How's this a conspiracy theory?

Shouldn't this be on /sci/?

Though as >>17837580 pointed out, it lacks evidence, so it's insignificant.
>>
>>17840996
the amniotic fluid is inside their lungs, though.
>>
LOL we was mermaids
>>
>>17840995
That must be tiring as fuck. Why would anyone do this to themselves?
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 208x196) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 208x196
>>17841135
>>
>>17841154
fuck man.
>>
>>17841180
Yeap!!! Now imagine the post mortem care on these fucks, rolling these huge assessment back in forth in bed, complete dead weight.
>>
>>17837575
If that is true then why am i so shit when it comes to swimming
>>
File: AYYY Predators LMAO.jpg (36 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
AYYY Predators LMAO.jpg
36 KB, 480x320
>>17837575

Biophysicist reporting in.

Humans are more tolerant of water than most species, but the aquatic ape theory is disregarded because of rampant plagiarism, biased studies, and ignorance of ecology.

Most geographical regions host to this chronological step in hominid evolution also contain sharks and crocodiles which would have subjected aquatic apes to severe predation.

Ye olde pic related.
>>
>>17837719
Look at a dolphin skeleton
>>
Has anyone ITT mentioned that science is an ostracizing process that is no longer open to new ideas? No? Well then fuck everyone.
>>
>>17841991
>STREET SHARKS

Fucking CLASSIC
>>
>>17841991
>severe predation
We're talking apes here, not helpless flesh blobs.
>>
File: Dr.Croc, Phd.jpg (31 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Dr.Croc, Phd.jpg
31 KB, 320x320
>>17842097
>We're talking apes here, not helpless flesh blobs.

Sharks do not see the difference between those two things.
>>
>>17840861
Well, if I had to guess, it's that they eat alot. But that's just a theory, I don't have proof though.
>>
>>17837575
There are recent human aquatic nomads that have adapted to foraging in the reefs and relaxing their heart rate to be able to hold their breath longer. In fact they match the visual almost to a tee. I'll see if I can get a link to the video.
>>
>>17842154
Here it is
https://youtu.be/MgRpwESWPLM
It's really amazing how quickly they adapted to this lifestyle, it goes to show how plausible this theory is, it's just a regression to a more primitive form that we're more used to. The only problem I see is that if you leave a body part in the ocean for too long the epidermis can come off like a glove, but then again you'd have to leave it there for two weeks or so
>>
>>17840195
She's majestic as hell. A week later all the carp gonna go extinct.
>>
>>17840285
Underrated
>>
The most likely scenario is that as the first humans came about there were tribal people that lived more inland and hunted for food, and there were also tribal people that lived on the coast and fished for their food.

And those people interbred enough that both types of adaptation were shared and we got a unique and unlikely fusion of bipedal high stamina runners that are also semi-aquatic.
>>
>>17840789
Post mockumentary I'm curious.
>>
File: skeleton-dolphin.jpg (67 KB, 550x384) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-dolphin.jpg
67 KB, 550x384
>>17842003
Your point? Don't wanna sound like an ass just interested
>>
>>17840195
Came here to say this. Aquatic ape theory is justification for fat fucks kinda like those that use 4chan.
>>
>>17842122
For some it is medical...metabolism related or something else. I have a friend that has Addisons Disease. Her adrenal glands don't work and she has tontine steroids or she will go into a coma and die. The steroids cause weight gain, although she eats a healthy diet. Sooo, sometimes it is because the person is a lazy fuck who eats all the time, sometimes it can be out of the person's control.
>>
>>17842337
*to take
>>
>>17837575
The Aquatic Ape theory was actually first proposed by feminists in the 60s as part of the "herstory" movement and has no roots in anthropology. Their primary drive was to explain why women had long hair (so children could hold onto them while they were swimming). It's unscientific bullshit, through and through. It's a cool idea, but baseless.
>>
>>17840174
Shut up, I hate faggots like you who shoot down anything that's different. Let OP raise a discussion for Christ sake.
>>
>>17843326
You completely miss the point of a discussion.
>>
>>17842164
Even David Attenbouro thinks it's not so far fetched...now I'm gonna watch some human planet and chill..thanks for this!
>>
>>17842309
....whatever fatty
>>
>>17840024
Newfag
>>
>>17843520
Why?
>>
>>17843607
You fucked up the greentext m8. It only works at the beginning of a line, like

>this

But not

>
This
>>
>>17843611
I realized that. So you're really complaining about typos on 4chan and calling other people newfags?
>>
File: 1466468760276s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1466468760276s.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>17843634
Kek, do you know what this place is? It wasn't a "typo" kid, it was something that marked you as an outsider. Responding to banter with

>omg it's 4chinz like seriously?
>I can't even right now

only reinforces that. I know you have a lot of free time right now but please spend it elsewhere.
>>
>>17843652
Only a newfag uses the outdated meme "Summer."
>>
>>17844081
>meme summer
>implying summer was ever a meme
>>
>>17842506
Stop shilling.

Men have long hair too holy fuck we just cut it short
>>
>>17840614
Dolphins are intelligent as fuck, are they not? They only lack the ability to manipulate their environment.
>>
>>17842282
he´s saying WE WUZ DOLPHINS AN SHIEET.
>>
>>17839957
Fascinating OP. I don't have the knowledge to contribute , but thanks for sharing this theory.
>>
>>17844081
>outdated meme
>summer

Jesus christ
>>
>>17837575
>/x/
>discussing scientific theories

lololololol
>>
>>17844427
We Ice Age now?
>>
>>17839957
dude, you totally misinterpreted the theory evolution completely with all of your intuitive reasonings.
Many different species may have same structures due to convergent evolution and many different species can also have vestigial structures. Just because you do similar things to different types of organisms here doesn't mean you are adapted to the same conditions as those who have the same traits.
>>
>>17837719
Its called vestigial structures. Yall motherfuckers here should not be discussing scientific theories without first studying the phylogenetic tree
>>
>>17844415
dont listen to him though. All of his points are based on intuition and opinions. None of what he said was fact
>>
>>17840283

During in utero development, cells start to rapidly proliferate (grow and multiply) to form our limbs and hands/feet. Later, once the basic outline of the limb has developed, the cells that aren't needed anymore commit to cell death through apoptosis. Disorders in the apoptotic program result in "webbing" between fingers and toes.
>>
>>17844515
This is true.
Everyone who believes in aquatic ape theory based off our vestigial structures should not speak. It just shows how little you actually know. But the more you learn, the more you realize how much you actually don't know.
>>
>>17844515
>>17844531

This does not necessarily mean our ancestors didn't keep the webbing.

It might be the mechanism through which we lost it over time, though.
>>
>>17837719

You do realize people aren't born with actual tails, it's just a flap of skin that kind of looks like a tail?
>>
>>17837682
No you idiot, nobody can read whats on your picture.
>>
>>17840861
GENETICS
>>
>>17840295
>Did you ever see a fat, old person?
yes
>>
File: 1447694351848s.jpg (7 KB, 149x200) Image search: [Google]
1447694351848s.jpg
7 KB, 149x200
>>
>>17840295
>Did you ever see a fat, old person?

Yes. What planet are you from?
>>
>>17839957
A selkie
>>
then explain why blacks cant into water?
>>
>>17850423
The image said it, humans has better aquatic capacities than other apes.
>>
>>17850423
What makes you say they are human?
>>
>>17850774
>>17850788
>>17850423
'Nuff said.
>>
>>17840925
>if so I think it would resemble other primates' nostrils.

What was that?
>>
File: sheek-louch-donnie-g.jpg (80 KB, 450x447) Image search: [Google]
sheek-louch-donnie-g.jpg
80 KB, 450x447
>>17840925
>if so I think it would resemble other primates' nostrils

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
>>
>>17840295
Gurm lives. And he will finish Dream of Spring.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.