[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sensory Deprivation Tanks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: sdt.jpg (28 KB, 680x400) Image search: [Google]
sdt.jpg
28 KB, 680x400
What happens to human brain when all sensory input is cut off and the only thing left is, well, the mind?

Any good articles on this topic?
Documentaries?
Anything even slightly credible?

Thank you /x/ers.
>>
>>17826841
I have no idea, but I bump this thread because I want to know too.
>>
without input, it makes up it's own. hallucination.
>>
Any good way to do this at home?
>>
>>17826841
visual and auditory hallucinations
>>
>>17826955
meditate
>>
File: echo.jpg (375 KB, 812x660) Image search: [Google]
echo.jpg
375 KB, 812x660
>>17826955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXVGIb3bzHI

You could try building echoeing chamber.
>>
File: crazy.jpg (151 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
crazy.jpg
151 KB, 1920x1440
>>17826938
Crazy, crazy, crazy ideas going through my head right now.

Take a newborn baby and put it in one of these seonsory deprivation tanks.

What happens? Where does the brain pick up the 'input' from since it never experienced it?

We might be onto something lads!
>>
>>17826976
Out of the frying womb, into the fryer chamber.
>>
>>17826956
How to trigger?
>>
I've been in one of those sensory tanks once, in LA.

It is a very surreal experience, I signed up for it after I got notice of an experiment for a TV show, supposedly. They interviewed me about my experience in it afterwards.

You get completely naked, and step into a large about 4x8 pod type thing. The water is deep enough to float in without touching the bottom if you lower your hands a bit, and highly salted, so you naturally float without having to really be aware of it, even when fully exhaling.

Obviously pitch black, no sound, nothing.
>>
>>17827069
I would like to know more.
Also wouldn't the water feed the sense of touch?
>>
>>17826976
damn dude this is worth discussing
>>
>>17827069
I did it for a 3 hour session, which did feel like far more.

After only a fairly brief time you begin to feel disoriented, and I had real trouble telling which way was up, even though the water should have made it obvious, I kept having the sensation that I was on a ceiling, or even upright, and occasionally had the sensation of slipping downward or deeper into the water.

I had some very scary sensations of the area behind me being huge, like some giant infinite amount of water. The utter blackness starts to feel just like a void, and you start to fill it in, and I began to close my eyes as I had the horrible sensation that something gigantic was moving around me.

You start to see lights and luminescence when there is none, little tough to describe. Like northern lights. The brain apparently firing to fill in when it knows there should be stimulus.

Another really odd thing is your hearing gets odd. You hear echoes of things that aren't there, similar to whalesong or like an underwater bell. I talked to one of the other girls who did the experiment, and she said the noise was the scariest part for her.

when they finally opened up the tank, the camera crew was there and such, and they said my expression upon being let out was quite disturbing, and for a while I had a bit of trouble figuring out what was real or not.
>>
>>17827097
How much does this cost?
>>
>>17827107
I have absolutely no idea what it would normally cost, I know they do offer it to sign up for normally.

This was for the show, so they covered any costs for us, and paid us to appear.
>>
>>17826976
what's your plan exactly? if you want him to at least survive you'd need to think of a way to feed him without using his sense of touch and taste and also you'd need to find a way to clean his piss and shit without stimulating any of his senses, and how will you extract information about his subjective experience exactly? it's not like he can talk
>>
>>17827077
The water is very desensitizing after a while, the high mineral content makes your skin get tingly and then a little numb.
>>
>>17826976
If you leave it without sensation for too long, it'll get fucked up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2865952/
Sorry for boring study link, but all the other results were for normal parents or were pushing political agendas.

Study was done on preemies in incubators. One of the findings:

>Although caloric consumption did not differ between the two groups, infants receiving mechanosensory stimulation averaged 47% greater weight gain per day than the unstimulated controls and were discharged an average of six days earlier.

And that's just the sense of touch.

I remember reading somewhere that full deprivation causes the baby to just waste away and die, but my Google-fu failed me today.
>>
>>17827097
>>17827069

so you got naked on tv?
>>
>>17827308
Yes I did. That wasn't quite what I was bringing to the thread though.
>>
File: Image39.jpg (149 KB, 828x1076) Image search: [Google]
Image39.jpg
149 KB, 828x1076
>>17827312
So how big is that dick anon?
>>
>>17827324
Gaah I'm female.

this is what i get for trying to get involved in /x/!!!
>>
>>17827335
how much does your vagina weigh?
>>
Read a little bit about building one myself but have never had enough funds
>>
>>17827350
Interesting side note though, did see the dick on one of the other people they had take part in the experiment, and was pleasantly impressed.
>>
>>17827363
Who builds these pods? I'm curious if you can buy them online.
>>
>>17827369
The things were huge, as i said before about 4x8, but then about 5 feet tall. Large a large hot tub.

Probably made of something weird to dampen sound so completely. I'd bet they'd be as expensive as a good hot tub.
>>
>>17827324
The fact that they got shots of some of us naked, and got a nudity waiver too, was not lost on me, but that's showbusiness!
>>
File: 4255555.jpg (153 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
4255555.jpg
153 KB, 2048x1366
There are places that offer isolation tank sessions, me and my friend went and it was the funniest fucking shit ever

>Pitch black tank of water
>"Climb in and shut your eyes"
>We climb into our tanks
>Water smells really funky and bad
>Smells like a tub of piss someone farted in
>They're playing cheesy as fuck "relaxing" music
>Can't stop snickering
>Hear friend snickering
>We start laughing our asses off
>We're told to leave

It was 160 USD in total for the two of us for an hour, it was stupid as fuck and smelled awful.
>>
>>17827548
if you were in an isolation tank and could hear anything from the outside, not to mention they were playing music, it was an Isolation chamber, not a sensory deprivation chamber. Completely different
>>
>>17827557
It was pretty ghetto, didn't look a thing like how it looked on their website, didn't help that barely any of the people there spoke English, was worth the money, though.
>>
>>17827566
Sounds like a laugh.

Mine was like an induced nightmare coupled with getting naked on the syfy channel, so i think you win, honestly.
>>
>>17826976
When you have a kid just put them in an empty windowless room with no features and preferably sound proof.
Then when you have a second kid put him/her in the room and then leave them giving them relatively tasteless but nutritious food and make sure to never interact with them.

After about 5 years of them 2 alone in that room take them out and see what new language they created and or see how retarded you made your children you jackass.
>>
>be me
>first time in a tank
>1.5 hours
>at some point fall asleep
>awaken to soft music
>feel like I'm peeing

I don't know if I really was peeing or if it was just the water.

I liked it but it wasn't terribly enlightening. I was quite relaxed though and would do again.
>>
>>17826841
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Lilly
>>
>>17827369
You could probably build one pretty cheap, just make sure to put in an emergency water drain and some sort of backup exit. Then get some wood and something waterproof (a tarp) for the base, build a roof out of something opaque, soundproof the whole bitch (easier than it sounds unless your neighbor is made of subwoofers) and fill it with water deep enough so you don't touch the bottom. Salt up the water really good so you can float on it easily, close that shit up, and fucking trip out.
>>
£25 for an hour session in my city, going to try it out soon.
>>
File: 89989.png (98 KB, 283x291) Image search: [Google]
89989.png
98 KB, 283x291
>>17827548
>Smells like a tub of piss someone farted in

>>17827760
>I don't know if I really was peeing or if it was just the water.

THAT'S WHY THE FUCKING WATER SMELLED SO FUCKING BAD!
>>
>>17827097
is this what being dead feels like?
>>
>>17828005
it was a really scary thought, the worst thing being that there was no specific point at which things started, or indeed stopped, feeling normal. So it was tough for a few hours afterwards to be 100% sure about things around me. When i first got out, and i was being interviewed in front of the tank, the smell of the salt kept bringing it back to me
>>
There's a place near my gym that's always having groupons. Imma gonna try it one day.
>>
>>17826841
Gnosis can be achieved through sensory inhibition.

A sensory deprivation tank is simply a pretty great/ideal physical tool for providing the environment for access to a deep focus state.
>>
>>17827363
That is literal rape.
>>
>>17826976
Babies still have the sensation of feeling, possibly hearing and taste as well. It might just seem like they're still in the womb actually.
>>
>>17827069

Man, I really wanna' try this now.
>>
Tried it once for an hour and a half.

The water being so salty and body temp made me feel like I was floating. Made me want to dance around.

Otherwise, no hallucinations or trippy stuff of any sort.
>>
>>17829075
no, it's showbusiness.
>>
>>17829088
what about my experience makes you want to try this!? It was freaky as hell!!
>>
File: 1458017202760.jpg (13 KB, 455x395) Image search: [Google]
1458017202760.jpg
13 KB, 455x395
I used to do it quite often, but only with auditory and visual deprivation. I would tie a blindfold around my eyes, put some headphones on and listen to white noise.

I have had some very strange experiences with that. I would hear auditory hallucinations -- piano music playing; a venue packed with people talking; birdsong; people shouting my name, or just talking.

The piano music is usually very nice. It sounds like Chopin. The birdsong is also pleasant to listen to. The people talking isn't that great but bearable. Sometimes I hear words directed at me, like someone's telling me something; now and then it would just be a word like "dog" or something totally random like that.

But that's not the extent of what I felt during those sessions. I used to do this for about 15 minutes when I first started, but it felt like an hour. Time doesn't exist when you're doing this properly. I once did it for like 2 or 3 hours and it felt like I was "in there" for 8.

And one time, something went wrong. I was doing it and I experienced what I can only describe as intensely negative ego death. It felt like I realized some intense, grim reality about the nature of existence; my mind had grasped some higher plane of knowledge but my conscience hadn't caught up or even understood. It was awful. I was aware that I was in the grasp of something very big, very apathetic, and I knew that it occupied our lives.
I felt like fucking shit. I didn't exist. Nothing exists. Nothing matters. Life is just... chemicals. Death doesn't matter. A thousand people could die and it wouldn't fucking matter. That was what I felt: NOTHING MATTERED. NOTHING MATTERED. NOTHING MATTERED. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH OBJECTIVELY: ONLY SUBJECTIVELY. These were the emotions and thoughts that entered my head. I didn't care, nothing mattered, we're all going to die, we're on a huge rock suspended in space and life is pointless. Not that even my realization of it mattered.

I stopped doing it
>>
>>17831679
You probably felt a miniscule part of the shadow, which is an infinitesimal part of that which some here call chaos, or as I know it the kingdom of shadows.
>>
File: 1458889181050.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1458889181050.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>17831679
It took me a couple of days to get over that. I can't even explain it adequately in words. It was like I had crossed over mentally into a plane of existence that, for all intents and purposes, was an endless void of pointless nothingness, and it was false and real at the same time. Kind of like I was playing a videogame and nothing matters. It's okay nothing matters; you can die and it's fine.

There's no point, no point. I don't exist and nor does anyone else: but at the same time, I was the only real thing that existed. It was strange. A complete disconnect from reality and a connection into somewhere else... it was bad. Very very bad. But I think I would like to try it again... just because it was so odd.

When I slapped the blindfold from my face and stopped the white noise, I saw parallels of that experience in the real world. Nothing mattered: it was just arbitrary. It exists for no real reason -- then does it truly exist? What is existence if it is not for a purpose? Life is flippant. That was insulting to me.

I had gone from a world of apparent truth where the non-purpose is overt (my deprivation experience), to a world where it is implied in subtle undertones, and kept at bay by trivial meanderings (reality). It was jarring. Did the truth then lie in-between those realities? Was it a hallucination? Are we just slaves to our senses? We will never know the objective, real, truth behind the reality we find ourselves in, as our senses can only detect and present so much information to us, at times incorrectly. We are the processes of a biological mechanism. We do not experience life first-hand: our brains detect poorly interpreted signal impulses and we thrive on that. That is what life is. That is what reality IS. Just a bunch of signal impulses to and from a brain, using nerve endings woven upon a sack of fleshy shit, piss, blood, semen, and saliva.

To step outside of that sack of dirt is the reality. And despite it all, I want to return.
>>
File: 1453967517213.jpg (62 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1453967517213.jpg
62 KB, 719x719
>>17831729
Yet for all that negativity, there was a small layer behind it all that I have not mentioned.

It felt bad, yes; perhaps existentially worrying, but it felt warm. It felt human. It was like I was floating in a black void of nothingness. Nothingness throughout and within, but despite it, there were presences of human proximity. I felt like it was all shit, it was all pointless -- but at the same time I was comforted. It was as if something was telling me, in music, or in thought, or emotion, or some strange language that did not use verbal communication; that it was alright, I was alright, it is alright. We all end up in this place and I am not alone. I share it with person from thousands of years past. There will be some time spent here and then I will leave again: it would be the same for us all.

It sounds stupid and pretentious, but that was my experience and my reflections upon it.

>>17831715
If you say so anon.
>>
>>17826841
I tried to build my own, because I enjoyed my experience in one. The tough part is keeping the temp precise. It's dark, so visual is out, it's supposed to be sound proof ideally, there will be a slight smell. As far as feeling, my best description would be sitting in a bathtub, at a certain moment the water hits the same temp your body is and it makes you lose sense of feeling for a moment. High salt concentration naked it really easy to float, I used Epsom salt for mine. These are fantastic for just relaxing, or meditation.
>>
>>17826976
>Where does the brain pick up the 'input' from since it never experienced
Useless experiment, they experience sounds and other stuff in the womb
>>
>>17826976
it's been done more or less, turns the kid into a crazy retard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genie_(feral_child)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkTzAEGcMMM
Everything you wanted to know (as long as they actually talk about what you wanted to know).
>>
>>17827363
Did you offer to suck it for him?
>>
>>17827335
What's the name of the show?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.