[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Divine Madness and Mental Illness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: 3dYXP.jpg (67 KB, 750x574) Image search: [Google]
3dYXP.jpg
67 KB, 750x574
What's well worth the interest of /x/ is how one would define "divine madness" and distinguish it from "mental illness" without using psychiactric definitions and rationale. The question is, can we do it? Can we define what madness, caused by a supposedly holy source, would look like? There are many examples of saints in the Christian, Jewish, Islamic, and even streams of paganism that seem to show that people can have objectively "insane" visions from a divine being. Can this happen today? Do we lock up people who might actually be prophets, simply because we have no way to know if they are such? Leaving out obvious mentally ill people, let's discuss this.
>>
>>17821977
>let's discuss this

Let's not.
>>
File: 0934O2224.jpg (40 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
0934O2224.jpg
40 KB, 720x480
>>
> using diferent wording for mental illness

wew
>>
File: bicameral.jpg (102 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
bicameral.jpg
102 KB, 356x500
>>17821977
Book & link very related to topic

http://entropymag.org/the-origin-of-consciousness-in-the-breakdown-of-the-bicameral-mind/

In a nutshell: Before language man had a sort of internal dialogue with himself, as language evolved people ignored or lost the internal voice of instinct/whatever... those that kept listening to it where seers or insane depending on your viewpoint
>>
>>17821990
Very neat. It brings up an interesting point that kind of seems both moot and relevant to our modern life. In societies which exist in a more "natural" setting, the shamans have an easier time finding spirits to commune with. In our cities and urban sprawl affected suburbs, might there be something similar? Japanese people believe that everything has it's own god and that with time it develops, gaining power and a "self". In time this becomes a manifest god or kami and sometimes gets due worship. I have to wonder if buildings might have something similar or exactly the same. It might explain why some places have a certain "feel" to them. Food for thought anyway.
>>
>>17821977
Seriously, this thread is just "hurrr, is street preacher crazy different from other crazies?" or poorly disguised bait.
>>
>>17822145
I meant more in the sense of shamanism and how it would manifest in a different setting. In this example, one not so associated with that sort of thing.

>street preacher
This is not really what I was thinking, but there can be some similarities.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.