[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite Shortwave stations? Any creepy? >inb4 uvb-76 please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Favorite Shortwave stations? Any creepy?
>inb4 uvb-76

please be in the 0.000 - 29.160 MHz range

pic unrelated
>>
Bumping, love me some radio stations
>>
Bump

My favourite personally is the defunct Gongs and Chimes station
>>
>>17815480
OK, I got this shitty (maybe?) Radioshack Am/FM/Shortwave radio and I have never picked up any stations on the shortwave scan.

Is this like AM radio where I have to wait for a certain type of weather at night to pick up stations from states away? Do I need a better antenna? I could google search this but the radio was really only for listening to AM stations while taking a shower in the morning, heh, am in the am.

Not looking for a spoonfeed, what I am looking for is maybe something tried and true. Don't want to bark a bear up a tree with my chihuahua, if you catch my drift.
>>
>>17816490
How old is the radio? It may be busted or not sensitive enough if it's really old. Where do you live? I've got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Traveler-Digital-Shortwave-Storage/dp/B001QTXKF6/

(Of course, I bought it a while ago for like $30 or something. It picks up quite a few stations on clear days here, mostly news in spanish or crazy religious guys blabbering on about Jesus though. I live in central TX so I assume I get a good mix of hillbillies out in the middle of nowhere with a huge setup and also shit from Mexico where it's less regulated.

It's bet to listen on clear, winter nights (or so I've heard, I can't tell you why). You can buy new antennas, there are a bunch of different kinds. Of course, if you're really not picking up anything, I'd say your radio is probably busted.

From what I've observed in scanning the SW frequencies, finding stations are few and far between. There's the NOAA weather thing that shows up on quite a few bands. (I really don't know any radio terminology so I'm trying to be kind of general)

Check here to see if you can dial in a NOAA station on your radio. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/coverage/station_listing.html

If you can't even pick that up I'd say it's busted for sure.
>>
>>17816583
Uhm, not really sure how old it is, when I look it up I get manuals and other ephemera, not real data. Radioshack catalog 20-125. As for Texas, I bought it after I moved from N. Ft. Worth. Moved to Northern Nevada.

Haha, ok so I decided to grab it from the bathroom and check, it only goes as far north as 26mhz. No 162 for me or anything else north of 26 point zero.
>>
>>17816695
Hmmm, I think maybe that link was about some other format. Try this link:

http://www.smeter.net/stations/hf-time-frequency.php

I dug out my radio now and I'm on 10,000 kHz.I can hear a steady beeping atm.
>>
>>17816767
>10,000khz would be 10mhz.
I am getting some strange static, going to walk around and see if I get better reception. No steady beeping yet but I am getting something.
>>
>>17816807
It's faint for me as well, but it picks up every now and again. The site has other good channels to check too incase you don't hear anything.

Once you've confirmed it works maybe look into a new antenna. I found a few stations of people taking as I scanned up from 10,000 kHz to 15,000 kHz.
>>
>>17816833
Ok, here are some site survey results:
West of the house (If I close the metal front door) from the patio I get a steady beeping sound which was sanity checked by another member of the house to come from South East.

On the other side of the house, the patio with the view, I get nothing pointing in that direction (S by SE) even though about 7 degrees below me is the skyline. Up on a hill.

I have read Getting Started in Electronics by Forrest M Mims, and numerous RT-SLDR articles about Ku and L band communication (my fetish) via Iridum, Inmarsat , Et al, In alll honesty I just want to dig deeper as an autodidact, sometimes picking up masters along the way.
>>
>>17816920
If you're still around, I'd suggest heading to /k/ or /out/ and reading through one of their radio threads. It'll probably have a picture of a Baofeng UV-5R but there's usually quite a few anons in there who are knowledgeable about this kind of thing. Check it out and see if they have any links or just ask them about SW radio, someone will have better info for you.
>>
>>17819106
thanks, will do.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.