[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think that free will exists? What is your reasoning? Post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 10
File: v5bbRfO.jpg (499 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
v5bbRfO.jpg
499 KB, 2000x1500
Do you think that free will exists? What is your reasoning? Post anything related to this.
>>
In the perception of the individual, yes. From an outside perspective, no.
To me, whether or not I eat french bread or rye is a choice I make arbitrarily, in reality it's most likely determined by my dna and circumstance. My reasoning for this is that in the absence of a substantive proof of the soul and given the deterministic nature of our apparent universe a hypothetical universe with the exact same conditions as our own would have all of the same stimuli as our own, such that one given infinite regression of any given choice would always make the same choice.

TL;DR: to you it seems that french bread is just better but in reality it's just your brain chemistry and life experience making you make that choice. thereby from the moment of the big bang your choice was a given.
>>
File: string theory-free will.png (92 KB, 620x3439) Image search: [Google]
string theory-free will.png
92 KB, 620x3439
>>
>>17794539

Interesting perspective. If reincarnation is real, this has horrifying implications in terms of eternal return or whatever it is called. Can't deny your logic though.
>>
>>17794553
I was actually kinda turned onto this idea by these weird events I have where for about five seconds at a time I experience severe deja vou. It's probably minor epilepsy or some other disorder but it made me start thinking about stuff like infinite recursion.
>>
>>17794498
I think it's an unproductive subject. The people who are spend much time discussing it are either neurotics or show-off intellectuals. I don't really care which of those you are, they're both annoying.

If free will exists, then fine, do as you like. If not, then you're not capable of perceiving that it's not free, so do as you like to the extent you're permitted to. The issue doesn't matter in any kind of a practical way.

If you're looking to blame God or Fate or something for your failures, I can't stop you. If you want to agonize over a sense of lack of agency, I can't stop you. I can tell you that most people work through this sort of thing in High School.
>>
>>17794587

That seems like it would be cool but I can see how it would be creepy. I don't experience it nearly that much but I heard someone say that when you have deja vu if you quickly do something different it will go away. Sounds like bullshit, but have you ever tried it?
>>
>>17794593
If I'm talking to someone I mention that "it's happening" that helps. If I'm alone or I "know" I'm about to say that I make a weird noise or violently jerk my head to the side. I get weird looks in public but it does work.
>>
>>17794498
>think
No. I know free will exists. I know this because I can think.
>>
>>17794619
>what is causality
>what is the pleasure principle

Not thinking hard enough.
>>
What is free will?
The ability to make an unpredicted decision. If this is the case, does a person lose free will if another can predict their decision? Let's say DNA determines the choices you make. Is this a cause or an effect of the person making that choice? It can be argued both ways which presents the problem of free will. The concept of free will is most likely unique to human thought. Objectively, what happens happens.

The idea that we choose to commit to action changes nothing. Does a virus choose to infect a host? It's just semantics. This conversation only exists due to confusion in semantics. Literally the entire discussion of free will boils down to a misunderstanding of the meaning of choice, a word humans created to represent the idea of selection in survival. Now our choices seem more mundane, choices are no longer vital to living. So we discuss free will, venturing to provide meaning to a very primitive concept.
>>
Jeeeez still here?

Did you take your meds?
>>
>>17794539
But isn't that basically free will? It was a part of you who made that decision.
Maybe I like french bread, but that day I woke up wanting some good rye and everybody will be like "why didn't you get the french bread" (since that was expected of me) and I'd just tell them I wasn't feeling like bread that day.
>>
>>17794630
>what is causality
Irrelevant.
>what is the pleasure principle
I bet you think people with anhedonia aren't capable of being human then, huh?
>>
>>17794965

Not just content to be ignorant, but proud of the fact.
>>
>>17795044
Until you can present a non-rhetorical argument, kill yourself. Every moment you don't kill yourself is evidence that I'm right about free will.
>>
>>17794498
This is freaking trippy to think about, because our brain controls everything we do, even the "self" is 15 seconds delayed, as in the brain has already made up your mind. and brain does not equal mind. So is it our soul or subconscious that really is free will, while on the outside we are inhibited? Coming from a physicist, to answer the question...i don't know. :/
>>
>>17795060
The mind emerges from the brain. There's no direct causal link between the two semantic phenomena.
>>
POST! I did this, of my own intent. Perhaps I was "compelled" to do such a thing but..

But fuck, i've done this under my own insanity, and I shall stab anyone who doubts me.

Do it.
Doubt Me.
>>
File: AHxiH5f.png (825 KB, 1913x4041) Image search: [Google]
AHxiH5f.png
825 KB, 1913x4041
>>17794498
I'm being hit with everything the forces that be can throw at me and I am enjoying the ride instead of letting it consume me. If there was no free will , I'd say "aw shucks life is bad, I'll be depressed". Nah, I am going to control my life and destiny. But I'm not a rapper

>mfw the weak, petty attempts the universe throws at me now.
Each time it tries to bring me down I laugh now.

tl;dr if you get through the initial lows that life gives you and realize you have control, it's easy sailing.
>>
>>17795081
did you feel compelled by your emotions as a response to the thoughts brought about by this thread? lol. ;)
>>
>>17795086
Do you feel safe behind your internet rhetoric? Will it help you feel less emotions when you get /x/ v&?
>>
>>17795084
you know, what makes us different i've described to science friends (at least to me) is the fact that we can question it, even if there isn't free-will. It definitely explains there is something more playing out. Whether it is the universe having a conscious mind or free-will
>>
>>17795053

Just triggering you. ALthough I certainly don't see how it proves fuck all about what you're saying.
>>
I chose to post this. Your post did not make me. Nor anything else.

I am here, Because I have chosen to be. (counter arguement) Everything I have done and not done, led me to be in these certain circumstance where I had options available. Of those options, I chose to Respond to your post. Thus.. my response.
>>
>>17795060

Yeah I have read about the delay, how we subconsciously make a decision almost as soon as it is presented to us, regardless of whether we think about it for 15 seconds or for hours. I keep coming across weird shit like this that seems to suggest that free will actually is just an illusion and that is why it keeps bugging me. I suppose it wouldn't make any bit of difference if it was an illusion or not, but I can see how someone could become paralyzed by thinking about it too much.
>>
>>17795104
I told you to kill yourself. If you can resist my will, that is, if you can resist killing yourself, that means you have free will. Objectively. How or why is irrelevant; if you don't kill yourself right now, you have free will relative to me.
>>
>>17795134
uhh..no...that would be his mind deciding it is best to keep going, so not a good example.
>>
File: bana.gif (9 KB, 151x278) Image search: [Google]
bana.gif
9 KB, 151x278
>>17795098
I agree. I'm religious but things also don't seem real at times. I show up almost every day to work late and my boss looks at his watch and gives me a look: I just shrug or walk by him.
>his face every day when I come in
>>
>>17795139
That's called free will, idiot.
>>
>>17795134

You're a complete retard, who favors semantics and sounding smart to critical thinking. Whether or not someone has the ability to do something is totally seperate from whether or not they ultimately have any choice, or if the shit is completely preordained by the number of neurotransmitters acting in their brain and other factors. We don't know for sure if these chemicals give us the ability to choose rather than go along blindly with baser instinct, or whether those neurotransmitters are actually making the decision on our behalf.
>>
The only choice you have is on what you focus your mind. And the only thing you can know is that it at least seems like you have some control of your thoughts. Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but it seems like people tend to get what they desire. So why not desire as if you have control? It doesn't matter if you dont. Maybe the only thing you can choose is whether or not you believe you can.
>>
>>17796006
Does that change whether or not it's true?
>>
>>17794539
First post nails it. This is what physics seems to be pointing to. But as anon rightly says, at least we have the perception or illusion of free will.
>>
don't touch me there, those are my special places
>>
>>17794498

h
>>
>>17797276

I see what you did there, but not mad about it since you didn't have any choice.
>>
partly, yes. we have free will in so far as being able to use basic cognition but beyond that we have no free will when we consider organs other than our brain. our heart, lungs, liver and entire body operates without our will.
>>
It makes sense to act as if you have free will, because even if there's no such thing as free will it means you were destined to act as if you have free will either way.
>>
I think the vale is thin enough to make us believe in free will. But what does free will really mean?
>>
a water molecule going down in a river stream can be predicted if you consider a huge number of factors, our brain, the responsable for our actions, is composed by matter as well, could it be predicted just like a water molecule can?

If the answer is no then we are some kind of god, breaking the natural predictable order of the universe.

If the answer is no then it's a big irony, being forced to think about free will

TLDR; universe was predictable before life came, now maybe it isn't
>>
>>17794589
i like you
>>
>>17794589
This.
>>
>>17794589
I just think he is retarded but whatever.
>>
>>17798262
mentioning high school(stupid shit) and being generally dismissive, is a sure sign.
>>
>>17798149
Deep
>>
bumperoo
>>
>>17797253
Which is perhaps for the better. How can there be ethics and morality without free will?
>>
What if we try to think of it from the pov of existing outside of time, if we were watching a single person's timeline. Now from the person's pov they are making choices of their own volition every time, however from our pov the choices had already been made and they are just following a line that is already in place. So if time existes then free will may not be what we normally think of it.
>>
>>17794539
Until we disprove the non deterministic nature
e of matter at sub atomic levels, randomness does exist. So no, there is no free will but it is not clear whether everything that happens is completely set since the beginning of creation.
>>
we generally have free will in the sense that we are mostly uncompelled. like there is no law forcing me to turn left instead of right, most of the time. some things are constrained by laws and the threat of violence, but they are a relatively small subset of the set of all things we could do.

it's impossible for beings as simple as humans to predict everything that a being as complicated as a human could do, not because the relationships cannot be understood, but because the initial conditions and other influences cannot be known to an arbitrarily precise degree. this makes our actions unpredictable from a practical standpoint.

we can reason that we don't have free will in the sense that our decisions are influenced by our memories, our current environments, and our genetics. in theory a perfect mind like God or a super duper AI could handle all the info and predict everything we are going to do. to some people this means our will is not "free".

finally there is a quantum influence which our science does not understand well enough to quantify. our minds depend on our brains which are just collections of neurons firing simultaneously and little bits of electricity zipping around. at some point a tiny influence like this will take place at the quantum scale and we currently have no idea how the universe "decides" whether a particle is going to decay now or in the next instant, or whatever. this kind of uncertainty may be built into the structure of the universe, and the result may be that not even God could really predict what our brains will do.
>>
>>17794498
Cool thread OP.

My take is, "in the moment" yes there is an illusion of free will, but ultimately in retrospect it's all predetermined. The universe is just a bunch of particles interacting with each other like a big, super complex game of dominos. So in the moment, it seems like we're all making a conscious decision to post in this thread and do whatever else we're doing, when really it's just the dominos in our brains bumping around and doing their thing.
>>
>>17794589
This post is neurotic as fuck and there are all sorts of unproductive topics in philosophy. Get off your soapbox homie.
>>
File: FreeWill.jpg (152 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
FreeWill.jpg
152 KB, 640x640
Psalm 82:6
I said, "You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.
>>
>>17794498
Biocentrism - Robert Lanza

Read it.
>>
>>17800896
If your actions are known before you make them by forces unknown to you how can you claim freewill.
>>
You cant really argue whether free will exists or we all follow a deterministic path. There is enough evidence to support every claim.

I do think determinism might be more applicable on a cosmic level. I.e. it has been determined that the universe WILL get to heat death.

But i think it is more efficent for nature to have evolved so that organic lifeforms can think and adapt and adjust to the world around them.
>>
>>17802637
Good ol death good.
>>
>>17794498
I think it exists on the basis that every creature out there is supposed to want it's specie to survive, and be part of that survival.

We sure as fuck don't
>>
You are given a choice not free will.
>>
>>17794498
i just slapped my ass and jerked off onto a piece of bread
then i ate THAT piece of bread and shot myself in the leg
i did not cry
instead i drank my blood from a cup
why would someone else make me do that?
>???
>free will
>>
>>17802713
>Good ol death good.

Wat chu talkin' bout, Willis?
>>
>>17795053
Not anon you're fucking with but this is an entertaining reply, I like it.

Kudos, motherfucker.
>>
>>17794539
Not really. Just because something seems more pleasing based on our receptor cells doesn't mean our choices are determined. Our CNS and brain must integrate and process stimulus from our environment.
Even if something seems better, it doesn't mean our bodies will choose for us based on instincts. The brain must still think about what results are wanted out of a reaction, and based on that, we make our choices.
>>
>>17795084
I can relate to this.

I have also found myself hating money. I will still get it to get shit(lucky I have already put in a lot of 'career spadework' so I earn okay money) but it no longer creates any kind of stress for me.

Do you find anything similar?
>>
>>17795060
I thought it was 'up to ten seconds'?

Not trying to be a fag just want to know 100%.

Isn't 10-15 seconds considered an eternity in relation to the brain transmitting signals?
>>
Whether free will exists or not is an irrelevant discussion. The reasoning for this is that the only thing that helps us navigate life is the ability to construct predictive models. If information does not assist us in forming a predictive model, it's existence ultimately is irrelevant. Since we cannot falsify or determine whether free will, or predetermination are correct, and even if we could, it would not help form predictive models, that means ultimately the answer is irrelevant.

Its a bit like the "are we living in a computer simulation" question. In all likelihood, we are, there is a much greater chance statistically that we are, than that we are not, however since this doesn't really effect the ability to form predictive models, its mostly irrelevant.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
True freedom doesn't exist.
>>
>>17795155
Haha your boss sounds like a spineless pussy

> I'm religious but things also don't seem real at times

Can you elaborate?
>>
>>17804516
Except we do have free will since our CNS and brain will integrate, process, and interpret stimulus from our environment and make decisions based on desired outcomes. Desired outcomes don't always have to be something that is pleasurable or something that is more natural to our instincts.
>>
>>17804521
it does for anyone that doesn't want a family, material possessions, and the ability to live comfortably
>>
>>17804529
that doesn't prove the existence of either free will, or predetermination. It could be that everything is free will and the firings of our nervous system and brain are entirely under control, and our will is all that drives us.

However as stated earlier in the thread, this could be an illusory state because of our perspective and it is just as likely that all of these events occurring in your nervous system and brain we're entirely predetermined, you would have no way of knowing from your perspective.

Since this is the case, it does not help us form any predictive models and therefore is irrelevant. Whether an outcome is desirable or not and instinctual behavior, have nothing to do with the ontological discussion here.
>>
>>17804535
Choosing those things doesn't mean you don't have free will. It just means that you've used your free will to select a situation where you have those things.
>>
>>17804556
>our nervous system and brain are under control
No. Our neurons that are part of the CNS and PNS only send electrical signals to the brain where the brain is going to interpret it. I dunno what you mean by those things are under control.

>our will is what drives us
Again, no. We make decisions based on desired outcomes out of reactions. We may not want to go workout tonight because its easier to just play vidya, but the desired outcome is what drives that pursuit.

>all these events occurring in your nervous system and brain are entirely predetermined
again no. The body has many different organs that function differently. Our receptor cells pick up stimuli from our environment, sends electrical signals through our PNS up to our brain, our brain processes and interprets the signal, another signal is sent out to appropriate body parts through CNS to bring about some reaction in our body. If you truly believe everything we do is predetermined, then i feel real sorry that you live in such a sad state where you have to blame something else for your misfortunes.

If you really think our reactions are not spontaneous, then maybe you should look at other living organisms other than humans. Such as plants. They make reactions based on desired outcomes and have evolved to make those outcomes easier to achieve.
>>
>>17804559
dont be a dumbass. The anon he was responding to said no one has true freedom, meaning we are all slaves to something. That anon that responded was just saying how bums gets to live any way they want without giving a fuck about anything
>>
>>17794593
I do this, if I hear someone saying something and I know it will produce de ja vu I just stop talking or doing anything until it passes.
>>
>>17804671
How can you think it was deja vu when it hasnt even happened yet? You only realize its deja vu once it happened
>>
>>17798149
>the natural predictable order of the universe

The universe is not entirely predictable

Matter can be generated out of nowhere
>>
>>17804684
>universe is not entirely predictable
thats because we dont understand the mechanisms of the workings of the universe completely. We have many theories but few laws in science.

>matter can be generated out of nowhere
wat?
>>
>>17800150
And if time doesn't exist?
>>
>>17794539
i'm glad someone typed this out so i can just agree with it.

it doesn't seem that anything else is possible if you believe in cause and effect. we may not be able to predict the outcomes but i'm pretty sure that everything is moving along a path that can never be altered by free choice because no choice is free.

it kind of bothers me but i guess everyone else is in the same boat. and it still FEELS like free choice so maybe that's good enough.
>>
>>17800488
Except for entangled particles?

The twin particle will have a determined path
>>
>>17798149
We can predict how a lightning strike will move towards the ground but not because of predetermined bullshit, because of understanding how certain matter will react based on its properties and surrounding environment.
>>
>>17804605
>bums gets to live any way they want without giving a fuck about anything
that's pretty much bullshit. they don't have to give a fuck about the usual societal pressures but they have their own set of circumstances that they have to deal with.
>>
>>17804680
You kind of know when it starts because you feel this has happened before, and you feel that you know what will happen next.
>>
>>17804719
Then i guess we are all slaves to oxygen since that is one circumstance no one can escape. Holy shit, stop trying to be so nit picky about petty ass bullshit
>>
>>17800896
This is retarded.
>>
>>17804735
if thats true, then document it since you seem to do it all the time and can predict the next thing thats going to happen based on whats currently happening.
yall fuckers here bunch of lying faggots
>>
>>17800960
Have you taken into account the wave function of particles?

It seems like you are oversimplifying a very complex topic
>>
>>17801013
>pics or it didnt happen
>>
>>17804699
Google: 'Double Slit Experiment'

It has been proven thousands of times over that particles appear when being observed by a consciousness, read the results for yourself
>>
Free will is little more than a grammar error, but one that damns people to irreconcilable regret as they mentally try to do the impossible and change the past. This toxic regret has proven very useful to manipulate people, and so the error of free will perpetuates.

Free will is an error in counterfactual thinking, which includes clauses such as "I should have" or "if only X had happened." These statements are literally contrary to the facts, their purpose is to model an alternative scenario than what actually happened to anticipate what to do in similar future situations. The problem comes when counterfactual thinking isn't rectified and completed, resulting in one wanting to change the past. This insanity leads to thinking that one can change the past, and the bad mental habit of "free will" forms.

If you can make someone regret endlessly, you can own them. You can sell them a cure for it, for example "salvation" and make them dependent on you. God forgives you for not being able to do the impossible and change the past. You can demonize enemies, ignore problems, degrade people's very ability to solve basic problems by applying basic causal thinking, and twist the very concept of time as it applies to human beings. Free will is the worst kind of temporal black magic there is.

The way to rectify counterfactual statements is to make it into a prescription. For example "I wish I hadn't tripped over that rock" becomes something like "I tripped over a rock and it hurt. I should watch where I am going in places where I am likely to trip over rocks to avoid tripping in the future, " The reasoning is in line from past to present and future, there is no room for regret. There is only learning.

While regret is bad if not rectified, the causal equivalent of it is guilt - the acknowledgement that someone has done something wrong. This is a lot more healthy than regret because it affirms that the past can't be changed nor does it desire to change it.
>>
>>17804862
If you disagree with my characterization of free will, try describing free will without affirming the use of statements such as "could have" or "should have." You couldn't have, because you did.
>>
>>17795139

i didn't know people capable of typing a response on a computer could actually be this retarded
>>
>>17794498
>

most behavioral psychologists and philosophers of the like would argue that NO, free will does not exist. this is due, very simply, to each individual's previous experience with reinforcement or a lack thereof.

whether the reinforcement (or, conversely, punishment) was physical, emotional, mental, whatever, you are ONLY acting or choosing to act based on that historical response. so, each and every decision (like the ridiculous "kill yourself" argument that occurred earlier in this thread) is sort of pre-determined based upon previous experience with somehow similar stimuli.

so like, you could say that my "free will" decides whether or not I eat an olive or not. and, because I hate olives, I don't eat them. free will? not really. because my prior experience with those disgusting things determines my decision to not eat them.

I really don't want to sound like an angsty teenager, because I'm not, but our lives are KIND of like those of rats in cages. we will do things because we are motivated.

some of us work because we get money
some don't work because we've experienced positive reinforcement somehow from NOT doing so.

It's kind of a strange approach to the subject of free will, but it really just comes down to our experiences. we are slaves to our prior experiences of both reinforcement and punishment.
>>
>>17794593
Works for me, but I think of recent events instead.
>>
>>17804684
OP here, yes, indeed, but before we came there was no cousciouness to observe it, think about it, we are truly something else
>>
>>17805397
the real question here is how our thoughts and actions are formed and executed, if it is a mechanical thing leading to another or do we create it from zero
>>
File: 1465186572557.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1465186572557.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>17804492
Yes, I don't have a lot though. I barely buy anything. I have a job in the field I love and am slowly working my way up. I want my own business because I want to be able to make and sell what I want, not because it is a way to get rich.

When I was younger I thought I wanted a ton of money, cars, whatever. Now I just want to enjoy my job and retire with enough for a small boat to sail the seas sipping rum until I reach life's final port
>mfw I die peacefully and Geoffrey rush and Orlando bloom bring me back from the dead
>>
Dna is information, living beings are this information on execution, evolution is inherent to such execution therefore evolving means to change the information that defines you on the run, if evolution is a fact then free will is a fact, because change doesnt happen without will
>>
>>17805397
Im with you on that one dude.

Shits out of control
>>
>>17805491
Thats awesome.

Im trying to become my own boss as well
>>
The truth of determinism is as certain at this point in history as gravity or evolution. Not only do we not have free will, but the concept isn't even coherent(as has been demonstrated in this thread).
>>
>>17805822
4th year phil major. seconding
>>
There are obvious Chemical reactions happening because earth is a ball of heavy molecules being burned up by the sun, but every once and a while you'll see someone operating outside of the usual chemical reactions.

"Good morning"
"Good morning"
"Good morning"
"How's it going?"
>>
zack gould gave consciousness to the universe
>>
>>17805397

You're not the OP... ?? I'm confused what benefit that you think it would give you to appear as such. I don't fucking know much, I'm just the guy that started the damn thread... doesn't give me some authority to speak on that shit... also... matter doesn't fucking come from nowhere, retard.
>>
>>17805811
Really? What type of business?

I just can't see myself working so hard and using my Talent to basically make someone else rich and feel held back if I can't follow my own path.
>>
>>17794498
Yes it exists, but you're not part of it, you were part of it when you wrote your life's 'future experience configuration sequence book'(not of the future events, but of 'experience' you gain to form a special configuration by the end of your life) before you were born. You right now have the ability with enough willpower, to break from that 'ultimate synchronization' fully, but the bad(painful) experiences you have in this life are MUCH better than what awaits you if you have actual "free will".
99.999......9% of physical existence has free will ahead before the existence solidifies into our 4-D world. (then follows the 'experience-wise' plan it had while already in existence)
A soul may be born with a complete free will( completely desynchronized from the ultimate universal synchronization system) but only as a test/exam for the consciousness coordinate(/cell).
If that soul survives the world on its own when everything(lit. everything) is against its existence, as its an alien variant/detail to the global synchronization, it has a chance to become a Source when that 'free' soul becomes strong enough.
A Source is a 'huge' soul that does not reincarnate but created souls like us to do all the work for it.

Welcome to reality.
>>
>>17794541
coward.
>>
>>17806140
..does not reincarnate but creates* souls...
>>
>>17794539
every moment is a choice every moment.
>>
>>17794553
nothing is horrifying if the root of all things is love.
>>
>>17806140

Where did you learn this?
>>
Yeah free will exsists. Good bait.
>>
>>17806140
This guy
>>
I remember sitting in our baptist church growing up while everyone would argue about predestination for hours. This thread is giving me pretty heavy flashbacks.
>>
Complicated.
Prevailing psychological research kinda leans to not that not really being the case. We perceive what we do ad what we want to do but our brains are really good at making instinctual thoughts and even memories FEEL like our own and really real. It's why eyewitness testimony sucks, because our brains make us believe lies with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY even if they aren't true.

Look up experiments run on left and right brain split patients to see even more how fucked up the brain is. Our left and bright brains conflict each other all the time but kinds make up stories to resolve those conflicts.

We act a lot on instinct and primal desires more than we can comfortably realize. We're all slaves to our biology, and it's really fascinating to me.
>>
>>17804862
This is retarded because you are implying you can change the future which, again, implies free will.
>>
>>17805657
I don't think you understand what free will is.
>>
>>17794539
>>17797253
Here's what I'm curious about

What would TRUE free will even look like? Would it not require omniscience? If you make a choice, how can it be said you truly made the choice for no reason?
>>
>>17800986
You sound even more neurotic than that guy.
>>
>>17794541
this story would have been much better if the true fear came from the implication that they DID have free will
>>
>>17807271
and if you made it for no reason, would that really be "free" if you made it randomly would that be "free"

Nay I say, fuck everyone who believes in free will, but forgive them too because they dont have free will. kek.
>>
>>17807298
I think the entire issue is really semantic at it's core. What does 'freedom' even mean? We didn't even choose to exist!
>>
>>17805822
dumbass here; if we can safely assume determinism is a hard fact... could it not be possible to travel through time?
>>
>>17807340
no
>>
>>17794498
free will is a myth, religion is a joke.
we're all pawns controlled by something greater. Memes, the DNA of the soul. They shape our will, they shape our culture, they're everything we pass on.
>>
>>17807387
i hope i create a meme one day that goes down in history. as a fat ugly i will never have children but maybe i can pass my soul to the collective through memery.
>>
File: what (2).jpg (54 KB, 1214x1140) Image search: [Google]
what (2).jpg
54 KB, 1214x1140
>>17807387
It is true that change in ideas and cultural information does mirror some of the processes of biological evolution. However to confuse them as the totality of our being is a mistake. There is phenomenological experience, you experiencing the world, which cannot be encapsulated by mere memes. Memes are not the DNA of the soul, they are the DNA of cultural information, which isn't the sum of you.

Memes, in the form of postulates, beliefs, and habits are also not the leading elements of change, questions are. Questions are not trivial, they are requests for information - it is questions that call upon memes. Questions in the abstract don't just include the linguistic act of asking a question, but every type of searching. In its most abstract sexual reproduction can be thought of as a sort of query, as well as the processes of biological evolution as a whole.

There is a very special class of questions: questions about questions themselves. This is the greatest power in the universe, as they enable one to ask better questions and answer them better. Using the memetic paradigm it is like hooking up the underlying processes of evolution to itself, memes are trivial in power in comparison. This is why human beings have been able to understand so much and gain so much ability in an extremely short period of time.
>>
>>17807394
Do you wish to change your life? Do you lack motivation and willpower? If you can write, you can change this. All you have to do is have the smallest bit of willpower to write.

What if you could merely use your own power of language to give yourself inexorable willpower? No tricks, no magic, just using the power of your own mind. It's little different from physical exercise.

It's possible, based on several premises. The first is that it is impossible for you to not do what you have fully convinced yourself to do. A lack of willpower is the result of incomplete and sloppy decision making: with only vague and disorganized thoughts in your head, you leave yourself vulnerable to habit and biological whims and urges. The power of the written word is to make thoughts concrete, to be reviewed and manipulated precisely. Writing increases the power of your mind greatly, which is trivially true: as a simple example think of how many numbers you can remember in your mind, as opposed to how many you can write down to record. Writing is so omnipresent that we take it for granted, when it is without the doubt the most powerful human invention of all time.

So via the act of writing you will determine things you need to do to change your life, starting with the very small, and then convince yourself of the need to do them via written dialogue with yourself. You will be arguing with yourself until your will wins over and your subconscious follows through with no resistance or reluctance.

The medium doesn't matter, you can use a word processor or a journal, though the act of writing on paper in ink may be helpful because it is more concrete and physical.
>>
The format will be question, thought, and action. Start by asking yourself with a question such as "How can I change my life for the better?" This can lead to more particular questions such as "What can I do immediately to improve my life?" Under such questions write a list of options, and their benefits and costs. Select one action to perform immediately, and write out why you should do it and how you think you will feel after. Think of any reasons why you wouldn't want to do the action, being honest with yourself, and argue against these reasons.

If you reach a dead end, or still feel reluctant, start the process over asking yourself why this is the case. When you are successful, you'll find yourself putting the pencil down or turning off the computer and then doing whatever you have decided to do with no reluctance, as you have fully convinced yourself to do with no lingering subconscious doubts.

After your success, return to the journal and write about it, and how you feel. You should feel accomplished and good about yourself for having acted perfectly according to your will with no discrepancy. This is the most important part: you use this positive emotion as motivation and momentum to continue the process with the next task. For tasks you can't complete immediately, use a cell phone timer to set precise times. If you have difficulty completing a task or initiating a planned task, go back to your journal. This can also be used to fight urges and bad habits, such as eating junk food or overeating. It can also be used for psychological and emotional problems, simply address the undesired and irrational emotional response in the same way. Once you have the basic journaling process established and tailored to yourself, ask how you can improve on it - this is actually a modified form of cognitive behavioral therapy, and there's load of other resources on psychological self-help.
>>
Over time, usually quite quickly, you will find it easier to follow through on your intentions. You will naturally become more organized and structured, forming a schedule and making longer term goals. Within two weeks of rigorous practice these good habits will have become ingrained in your mind as good habits. You should still use journaling for some time if you have a history of willpower problems, but the hard part is over. Eventually you won't need to use the journaling process as much, but for big or difficult life decisions journaling is always a good idea.
>>
>>17804794
>Double Slit Experiment

Yall niggas barely understand basic chemistry and biology. You really think you perfectly interpreted the theory and results of this experiment? This is fucking quantum mechanics we are talking about, P.Chem. One of the hardest fields of chemistry to understand, especially without being great at calculus.
>>
>>17794539
Determinist fag
>>
>>17807697

Could you explain more about the questions about other questions?

>>17807818

I like this. I will try this.
>>
>>17807288
Yeah. Something like "...but the string where still there. Every string but my own"
>>
Wow. /x/ is nothing but a bunch of blue pilled normie faggots now.
>>
>>17794498

God says "choose".

We can choose.
>>
>>17794539
Rye bread is gross. I would prefer French if I were going to have bread. I think this thread should be about bread now.
>>
>>17794498
I think life is predetermined, mostly. I have had dreams of people and places I had not seen yet. It is horrifying. The first big dream I had left me so confused. I yelled about the pic of horses i saw a few months after lmao.. The homeless were sad tho. Seeing a deer jump in front of the car was useful. I've used this to my benefit but I can't say I changed the outcome because sometimes I don't see the outcome, just the place or situation. There's a glitch in the fucking matrix, guys. I wonder if free will actually exists at all, or if we were given the choice and then the universe got stuck on repeat. The best advice I can give you is to not over think it. Be happy with what you're given and don't make that an excuse to fuck up your life.
>>
>>17794498
Nope, we have an end and a beginning in a 4th dimensional space. We are following the threads that were already in place, I am only reacting to complex inputs filtered through past experiences. It may be a very complex reasoning pathway but at it's heart it is just one ball rolling and hitting another. I can still decide to do things and want things and live a happy full life, but I am in all probability slated to die at a specific point and for a specific reason.
>>
>>17794498

We can only "choose" from what is available, and so environment is more powerful than free will because it limits our choice. While realizing your options does clears one up for progression it is a very limited progression that is set apart to you by fate and not will. The difference between the why and the what. It would take an outside force beyond your control, or another's fate, to change yours. Period. Yet that is outside your power or "choice", and so thus would be another's. All our individual fates, whether we maximize them or not, are all just tiny gears within the ultimate wheel, and thus now matter how much we choose or may be given in the end it leads us all to the ultimate fate. It is our responsibility to work out our fate within the machine, and that is where purpose can come from but in the end we can only do the best with what we've got mistakes included. Sadly, most humans are ignorant, lazy, and/or injured.
>>
edit:

We can only "choose" from what is available, and so environment is more powerful than free will because it limits our choice. While realizing your options does clear you up for progression it is a very limited progression that is set apart to you by fate, and not will. It's the difference between the why, and the what. It would take an outside force beyond your control, or another's fate, to change yours. Period. Yet that is outside your power or "choice", and thus would be another's. All our individual fates, whether we maximize them or not, are all just tiny gears within the ultimate wheel that was moving long before us, and thus no matter how much we choose or may be given in the end it leads us all to that ultimate fate. It is our responsibility to work out our fate within the machine, and that is where purpose can come from but in the end we can only do the best with what we've got mistakes included. Sadly, most humans are ignorant, lazy, and/or injured.
>>
File: 1465536066658.jpg (880 KB, 2560x1365) Image search: [Google]
1465536066658.jpg
880 KB, 2560x1365
>>17794498
I don't think my free will exists. Universal factor's play a big role in what I do.
>>
>>17794589
Typical "who cares" response. Go jump off a bridge
>>
>>17795167
Take a philosophy class some day.
>>
so let me break it down for y'all

you both have free will and dont
you need to conquer it basically
only after 6th dimension

1d is a point
2d a line (infinite amount of points)where most people live >linear thought
3d(infinite amount of lines)

exiting the dual world and one starts unidentifying with mind and rather with consciousness perceiving it. eventually if not right away it will it you the same consciousness perceives "EVERYTHING" aka" O_O im a lonely god's solipsistic fake dream oh noooo"
4d(infinite amount of 3d) aka eternity time is a circle because your the only perceiver of everything
5d(vibes) the "real illuminati" beings that are synchronizing your below dimensions in order for you to change to their "vibe". people in auto pilot are often used "mr smith agents" to attack your vibes (ik its cliché but true nevertheless) i.e. the vibes themselves. infinite spectrum of energies that eternity pov (4d) may be attached to
6d you stop relying on logic and vibrate at will
aka you realise there is no truth inherent to logic and complexity can be built in each vibe. illuminati are your "bitch" now, for say.you master the vibes, they dont master you.
here it you who command as above so below the below realms will adjust to your frequency if you are strong enough to hold it (5d being will never stop attacking you per say, but its a fun game ;)
its also where your human soul lives
in 7th you leave the body so i wont go further into that cuz its literally impossible to describe, you leave human soul behind so its beyond the comprehension of anyone on a physical body

>inb4 muh just a theory
just take acid brahh
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.