[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could old legends about a certain language be true? (not roleplaying)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: why fit.png (111 KB, 417x234) Image search: [Google]
why fit.png
111 KB, 417x234
Alright /x/,

I don't know where else to post where someone would actually take it seriously, but not go full reptillian on me.

Long story, I got really REALLY into an ancient dead culture, and their language. In their lore what you wrote down was actually considered a "spell" I guess, like whatever you wrote would actually come true. They really believed it, and for that reason there isn't a lot of their writing around anymore.

Anyways, their alphabet is shorter than english but close enough that if you were to combine similar sounds (c and k, e and y etc.) you could get them to match phonetically. So in my boredom in highschool, I matched them up, and wrote some shit about some chick that was harassing me at the time. I cackled like the edgelord that I was at the time, and forgot about it later that day.

I wrote vaguely wishing her "misery", and it actually came true. Within a week there was a death in her family, albeit not a close family member, and she rapidly descended from your typical popular girl that would make r9k rage to a shell of her former self. Never graduated highschool, several children before 20.

Logically its a coincidence, but I have never opened that book since and my bastard cypher is still in it. Im 100% serious about this I know you all have skin walker shitposting to do, but could there be anything to this?
>>
>>17783859
Sounds similar to how runes work. Make a symbol and believe in it so hard that it manifests over time.
>>
>>17783859
It's never about the language itself, it's in the meaning. You could have done the same thing in plain English, edgelord
>>
>>17783885
I had wished her ill will for quite some time, wouldn't it have happened before then?

>>17783873
So this isn't unheard of? The thing is I didn't stew on it after I wrote it, I was shocked and honestly horrified when I heard the news, and what happened since.
>>
>>17783873
>>17783891
Although it very much could have been subconscious.
>>
>>17783891
Usually the faster you forget about making it, the faster it works. It's a very subconscious manifestation.
>>
>>17783925
Do you think it could work for more specific things? I just found the book in a move, I am tempted to test it, but I don't want to get over my head dealing with something that could turn out to be sinister.
>>
Name the culture. Name the language. Name the sources you used when researching them. Never start a thread without disclosing your sources unless you WANT to be accused of roleplaying - vagueness and unwarranted secrecy are the bread and butter of roleplayers.
>>
>>17783956
I would, but the last thing I want to do is give unleash something like this if its real. Shit meme magic seems quasi true sometimes. I can't find anything on the language itself besides "wasn't used much, people thought it was magic". I have been mainly looking online through my University's library. Most of the articles focus on the artwork, not the language itself, of the culture.

I just want to know if there is the slightest chance this could have been real.
>>
>>17783956
>>17783972

Without going indepth, its eastern-northern European in origin and was untouched by Roman conquest.
>>
>>17783972
>>17783975
What is better? That a few evil men know or that the masses do?
At this point it cannot be hidden, and its power must have been and is being abused right this very moment if what you say is true. No?
>>
>>17783972
I guarantee you that if you aren't bullshitting that somebody is already using the language for occult purposes. With that said, you're probably bullshitting.

If any of it really happened it was a coincidence.
>>
>>17783972
>typical roleplayer excusemaking

Post the articles. Post the artwork.
>>
>>17783972

If it were to go mainstream, then people would start taking steps to counteract it. Then, it wouldn't be a danger any more. It's more dangerous to let it remain a mystery and retain it's power.

That being said, this is sounding like a load of bullshit until you provide a name.
>>
>>17783998
>pony druid
Tripfags are cancer
You just took it to the next fucking level mate
>>
>>17784005

My bad. I was playing a PnP RPG earlier. I wouldn't just go around with a trip. That doesn't make sense.
>>
>>17784005
I'll take thirty MLP tulpamancers over a single OP asking "hay are these legends you never heard of and which I certainly won't tell you about a magic system I won't describe true???'

At least the tulpamancers want to share information.
>>
>>17784010

Wait. Are there really discussions of tulpas on /mlp/? How is that not considered off topic?

I literally just go there for the games.
>>
This sounds like a waste of time.
>>
>>17784010
>>17783998
>>17783986
>>17783983
Alright hold on, posting an example pic of the article that sums it up best, and where I think this variant could have come from.
>>
>>17784016

A name would still be nice.
>>
>>17784014
I don't know if they do, I don't go there. Tulpas are associated with bronies because of that Pinkie Pie story. Maybe there's an overlapping interest there.

>>17784021
Seriously. We could actually help research if we knew what to look for.
>>
Theban?
>>
File: runes.jpg (47 KB, 363x645) Image search: [Google]
runes.jpg
47 KB, 363x645
Alright not an "article" but this is a nice summation. The first post pretty much guessed it, they are indeed runes but they are from a non scandinavian area (you can see the picture makes mention of runes being found all over europe, the viking ones are just the famous ones)

The "alphabet" is not at all what google gives me for the Vikings. For Example R as a well as a few other runes are different, there is no Z, along with some of the shared runes being depicted at different angles. So I am guessing there was some divergence between different peoples and their runes, perhaps the viking version is watered down?

Sorry if this incoherent but I am unused to typing everything out in this little box. Anyways that is specific as I can go, I am sure as shit not posting the actual runes themselves or the specific culture/tribe.

Is that good enough to have a discussion on whether there could actually be some power here?
>>
>>17784067
So I guess what I am looking for is any suggestion that runes or any other kind of language have had tangible consequences.

I am also considering testing them again, though I need to be careful of my wording. Any ideas for something vague I could write that has a realistic possibility of happening?
>>
>>17784088
*by tangible I mean other than viking lore
>>
>>17784031

Just googled Pinkie Pie tulpa.

Literally just someone being affected by a character in a television show enough to change their ideology but unable to accept the fact that they're capable of change. Which is... really all tulpas ever are. But, seeing it happen with a television show character makes it funnier.

>>17784067

Hey, that's some nice illegible text you've got there!

There's nothing to discuss here if we can't research it. As was brought up before, this random runic language having power when you write something in it makes as much sense as English having power when you write something in it. If that's not the case, then we need a reason to believe as such.

In other words, we need to be able to do our own research. And, since you won't let us (most likely because this doesn't exist), this is where the discussion ends.
>>
>>17784088
Kill a neighborhood cat or something.
>>
>>17784098
>>17784088

Or, you know, say something that doesn't involve death. Like, "There will be a light rain tomorrow."

Make sure you get the right meaning of the word "light", though.
>>
Seriously, we're a bunch of fanatics that would probably come up with counter measures to prevent spooky rune voodoo. What's the tribe? Give a name or you're obviously some role player backed in a corner
>>
>>17784102
But that's something that can be predicted with science.

Say something like, "I'll witness a car crash" or "I'll get contacted by an old friend"
>>
>>17784067
So you "matched" the runes somewhat to the phonetic sounds of our alphabet and now you think you used their language to "curse" some girl.

That's like writing in english but using thr cyrillic alphabet you fucking toad.

No, that's fucking not how language works, you fucking roleplaynigger. Go play with your slav shit runes somewhere else.
>>
>>17784067
Is it Gothic? Otherwise you're thinking of a slav or Finno-Ugric people
>>
>>17784105

Shouldn't you specifically do something that CAN be predicted by science SO THAT you can test it?

If you look up the weather report and then see that it's not supposed to rain and then you write that it's going to rain, then you have something at least slightly scientific in your testing.

If you just write some random occurrence and then that occurrence happens, there's no solid reason to believe that it wasn't just a complete coincidence.
>>
>>17784088
God damn it, OP, you have been an incredible faggot this entire time about a subject which isn't even remotely secret. I'm so annoyed with you. But I'm going to answer your question.

The concept that things you write become true is standard to runelore. It's not a secret mystery. The runes were not lost because they're "dangerous". The idea that a tool that could be misused should be banned is a strictly modern concept. If you don't want to hurt people with runes, don't be a vindictive faggot who curses people. Use runes to win money or make your houseplants greener instead of ruining people's lives on a whim. Hey - maybe try unwriting your curse, eh?
>>
>>17784117
>years pass by and OP never thought to just write "I wish for her misery to go away"

This amuses me greatly.
>>
>>17784096
Fair enough friend, I guess I was just looking to see if anyone has any confirmed or at least suspicious circumstances of this working before. Google mostly gives me lame tarrot reading websites and such.

>>17784102
I like that thought, weather could be a safe thing to start with. will check my local forecast to try and get it the opposite of a few days out, give it a chance to actually affect it.

>>17784103
>>17784107
Thats why I was so alarmed, it doesn't make any sense. I am guessing there is something to do with the intent, as well as the runes themselves.

>>17784108
Fucking knew some anon would know enough about this area I shouldnt have posted more detail.

>>17784115
Right thats what I meant, shitty wording.

>>17784117
I found the original paper and tore it up when I found the book recently, does that count? I had heard of runes supposodly working, but well, hadn't ever actually SEEN them work, do you know what I mean?

Alright weather forecast for Monday in my area is 71 and completely clear, I shall write for rain. Any day before that is cloudy, so it could either way and any effect could be debated.
>>
>>17784126
I honestly didn't think it could possibly connected. Denial I guess, I mean most likely it really wasn't anyways.
>>
>>17784131
>scared of Gothic runes
>not writing proto-germanic in elder futhark
>>
>>17784140
>proto-germanic
Those stupid Indo-Europeans
>>
>>17784131
I am honestly not sure what you are trying to hide. Runes are not some secret and it is very well known that the people used to think they are magical.
It is not even that hard to narrow it down with the info you already provided so even an idiot could find it.
If you never wanted to spread it then you should not have made a thread about it and if you wanted to discuss it then you must provide information.
It seems like you are just a attention seeking roleplayer right now.
>>
>>17784133

Well, now you've had the thought.

So, better safe than sorry. Be considerate, even if it makes you look like an idiot.

Make sure you word it like not an idiot, though. Don't say "Lol I wish for her to have happiness!" Actually specify that you want the misery you wished upon her to go away.

Unless you actually want to make it up to her. Then, hey, I guess play god!
>>
>>17784161
These specific ones seem obscure enough I still feel they would be hard to find, I don't see anything close in google. Might have been something to do with the actual way I aligned them too.

As I said before, my theory is that in the same way that english evolved from old english the runes evolved, and lost some of their properties.
As they lost potency, the stories of their magic stayed even when they were no longer true.
>>
>>17784171
Definitely Anon, never hurts to try. I will see if the weather ends up being true, and then I will try and carefully word it that way.

Do you think tearing up the original paper would help? From what i have read it should.
>>
>>17784184

Hey, science. Tear it up and see what happens.

Of course, you should tear it up AFTER you make your wish to undo your wish first since tearing it up is an action that couldn't be undone. Thus, for the sake of testing, it should be done last.
>>
Dollars to donuts it's one of the rune alphabets in this link:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/runic.htm
>>
>>17784131
>do you know what I mean?

I do. Success rattled you, and you tried to shutitdown.jpg.

If your experiments convince you to believe in rune magic, don't be afraid. Provide details and magicians can help. If your experiments convince you not to believe, though, that's fine too - and there's no reason not to share what you know when you "know" that it's harmless.
>>
>>17784177
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/gothic.htm

Also, I was talking shit before but I was writing phrases in fuþorc and lightning struck from a clear sky
>Spooped
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.