[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Missing 411
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (13 KB, 191x263) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13 KB, 191x263
So what do you guys think about David Paulides' work on the conspiracy concerning disappearances in our national parks? Regardless of what you think of the man, his work on this subject is thorough and mostly bias free.
>>
>>17780968

No. It's full of bias. Literally the first case of the first book (Bart Schleyer) shows this. Cherry picking of details, blatant omissions. Read Paulides account and then read the tons of news reports, findings, etc.

He makes mountains out of mole hills, discredits paradoxical undressing - was has been described in literally hundreds of cases of hyperthermia, and generally molds cases to make it all seem far too mysterious to ignore.

But good on him. He tricked me into buying one of his books. I did break even on eBay though. But yeah, he's full of shit.
>>
always debating about getting this
can I get a brief synopsis of how its set up?
like is it just a complication of stories and interviews or is there more to it?
because if thats the case I can just google all that stuff
>>
>>17782140

It's a case by case example for each state/park with Paulides commentary and analysis, which aren't worth a fucking shit.
>>
he's a fucking idiot.
>>
>>17781419
> discredits paradoxical undressing
Rightfully so. This usually just happens when your so cold that your toes and fingers freeze off. In lots of those cases it wasn't simply cold enough.
His books are worth the read. Just stay critical and don't believe everything blindly.
>>
>>17782672

>This usually just happens when your so cold that your toes and fingers freeze off.

Cite.
>>
>>17781419
regardless of dp's research, do you think there is something strange about some of the disappearances in the wilderness and the city?

I really don't know what to think of it all, some of his "detractors" on the internet seem a little bit too passionate, but at the same time there is something "off" about the guy. (I haven't read any of the books btw)
>>
>>17783699

I'm basically in the same boat that you are. I've tried to look into some of the cases I've heard him talk about, though there isn't exactly a wealth of information available on them outside of what he presents. This subject is probably more fascinating to me than any other /x/-related topic, but it's a bit difficult to do your own research.

As far as Paulides himself, aside from the fact that, yes, there are people who say he's either nuts or he's less than completely honest, listening to him does bother me a bit. When he's telling his stories, particularly on C2C, he has this tendency to try to pause for what he seems to believe is subtle dramatic effect, but to everyone but him it just sounds like inexplicable six second pauses in the middle of his sentences. On a couple of occasions I believe I noticed that whoever the host was on those nights (Noory maybe?) was also somewhat irritated by this, sort of a "Dude, this is my radio show, not your personal fucking podcast - tell your goddamn story" type deal.

The point I was getting at is that if he puts value into theatrics like that, I worry that it isn't impossible that he has exaggerated claims or worse. It would be nice to try to sit down one night and compile sources of information on some of his cases for an /x/ thread though.
>>
It's predator predators. Ha.
>>
>>17783699

A few are baffling, no doubt. Those kids in the desert in Arizona or New Mexico or Texas or wherever it was that claimed they were protected by apes is fascinating if true.

That said there isn't some huge correlation or underlying force surrounding the clusters like he makes things out to be. There are clusters because, believe it or not, a lot of people visit national parks and, occasionally, they go missing because it's the fucking wilderness.

But here's how I learned he was full of shit. I bought the first book and read all the way to the Theresa Ann Bier section. I knew about this case relatively well because I have a huge interest Bigfoot. What he presented didn't jive with anything I had read. I posted the discrepancies in 2014 on here if you want the details; search the archives. This made me wonder so I began fact checking, starting with his very first case. What he presented and what actually happened were definitely at odds.

I also posted, around a similar time, my emails between a Park Ranger assigned to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. They absolutely keep records of missing persons. But they do not keep a master list or an Excel spreadsheet of every case. Because their method of storing information was at odds with how Paulides thought it should be done, he automatically included them in the conspiracy.

Dudes just a fucking kook.
>>
the biggest mystery is why no-one's scanned any of the books and put them online.
>>
>>17784741

If you want to read them that bad, they're only $25. That's pocket change.
>>
More people go missing in our cities than in our wilderness areas.
>>
>>17784915

He wrote a book about that too.
>>
>>17784741
We used to have threads where anons transcribed portions of the books. Was pretty based.
>>
>>17780968
OP there is a dedicated variety of idiot that loves to shit on this subject. They bought his book, he isn't the best writer, and they feel slighted. Maybe there right about the book, but it is beyond doubt that hes blundered into something.
>>
>>17784751
Shipping costs another 50 bucks, at least to where I live.

Unfortunately, the prices for his books on amazon or ebay are even higher
>>
>>17784960

That was me. Lol.

>>17784973

Writing style is immaterial. They read like editorials. Nothing wrong with that. He hasn't blundered into anything, he manipulates information to suite his "OMG SOMETHINGS HAPPENING" story.

Don't believe me? The first chapter of his book can be previewed on Amazon. Read his presentation of Bart Schleyers death and then read the reports and findings of others. See if you can't figure out who's changing the story. It's not hard. Bart died in the woods, not from a predator, and his body was scavenged by bears. Nothing spoopy about that.

Check the archives. I posted transcripts and screen shots of the email conversations I had with a park official. They keep very good records of missing persons. What they don't keep is a master list and Paulides uses this small technicality to discredit them.
>>
The most eerie, interesting missing kid story I ever heard was about the kid who wound up in a cave and he described who he was brought there by as robot grandma or something like that. Such a freaky story, I want to read on it again, but Google comes up with nothing. Probably doing it wrong. Anyone know what I'm talking about that can help?
>>
>>17785120

Happened at Mt. Shasta. Said the entity resembled his grandmother who he called Kappy. Paulides includes this story in his first book. Another good story of true.
>>
>>17785120
>>17785134

Found it for you.

https://m.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/2rp21p/missing_child_robot_grandma_national_parks

Notice the comments. Others calling bullshit on him for the same reasons.
>>
Thanks guys, you the shits.
>>
Unless it was the same person both posts, in which case redact the 's' making shit plural.
>>
>>17784946
The young men who vanish at night, with some ending up dead in a river nearby? Yeah it's odd, my mother knows someone whose son died in such circumstances (though he might have been actually drunk/high, I don't know and don't think anything spooky happened)
Some things about what DP said in his radio interviews bug me though; like when he points out that a lot of the victims are of german descent, but isn't that the case of most european/caucasian people in america? I think one host casually pointed it out at one point but I'm not sure... perhaps I'm nitpicking but come on.
He also claims that the victims are successful young men and not the kind of people you'd expect to see disappear or die like that (ie hobos, hookers, drug addicts...) but it can be argued that outcasts are not "immune" to such tragic events, but the reason we don't hear about them as much is merely because no one cares about them sadly. How many "drownings" are reported each year in manchester for instance, and how many of them fit the profile?
I still think there's something weird going on no doubt, but the author is hard to trust really.
>>
>>17785898

I haven't looked into those cases. I do remember Knapp interviewed him about that book either early this year or mid last year. I remember working in the yard and listening to it on C2C.

Anyhoo, he likes to point out patterns in the woods too. One is that they're found by water. Well, no shit, people think following rivers will lead them to people, albeit true or false. He also fixated on bad weather popping in and out. Well, again, no shit. Weather changes at the drop of a hat in high elevations - no surprise that it happens in these mountainous areas.

Regardless, as someone said in the Reddit thread, he's making money by willfully exploiting personal tragedy and that's fucked up.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.