[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird Sensory Memory Shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
So does anyone else have really strong associative memories? Like one situation will make you feel really intense things? They're not feelings, but they will make me feel things. They're something else, but similar to emotion. There aren't any labels for them. I've never heard anyone else talk about them. And they're always different. Like how cold, stormy nights make me feel a bunch of ways. They get really specific too. If there is a house in the rain that is painted white, it will probably feel different than if it is painted red.
It's not a huge concern, as it rarely is strong enough to affect my daily life, but I really just want to know if I'm the only one feeling this. I've tried telling a therapist before, but she didn't know what I was talking about.
>>
Pay closer attention to them.
>>
>>17774270
My therapist wanted me to keep track of them in a journal, but I have no idea how I'd even begin categorizing them.
>>
Sounds like mild synesthesia

It isn't always tasting music and hearing color.
>>
If i hold a fingernail clipping in between my lips, i feel a sense of despair. It always calls back to mind some night terrors i had when i was a kid.

Any very small object does that for me, but the fingernail clipping has to be in my lips
>>
>>17774344
Yeah, I'd figure that it would be something with my brain. My brother has really bad autism and my dad probably had asperger's, so it would make sense for there to be something wrong with me as well. But there is literally no way to even begin to explain what these things feel like. How would I go about explaining it someone accurately? I don't even have the terminology for it.
>>
>>17774355
Yeah, what I feel is kind of like that, but just not purely emotion. The emotion is brought on by the thing I feel, not the situation itself.
>>
>>17774366
Would you say the situation imposes a certain atmosphere on you, rather than emotion? The way remembering an old smell can take you years back?
>>
>>17774369
Yes, yes. Both "atmosphere" and "vibes" are words close to what I would describe as being the first thing I'd experience in a situation. Then from that atmosphere, I'd get the emotion. I experience both, just one before the other.
>>
>>17774373
That's interesting. After hearing you talk about it, i think we might experience the same thing. It's been that way for me since i was a kid, i enjoy it. Maybe it happens to everyone at some point, but they ignore it. It's probably just autism lol.
>>
All the time. I get it from most things, such as people, situations, and certain objects.
>>
>>17774378
Yeah, I've talked to other people about it before but only rarely, and the guy I talked to said that he kind of understood what I was saying. I'm really interested if everybody feels it but some more to an extent.
>>
>>17774255
>>17774344
>>17774392

I know what you mean exactly. It happens to me on a semi-regular basis, it happens more often to me in situations that make me feel like im in some kind of movie. Ill end up feeling like a sepia tint over my life if that makes sense, which makes me think that it is synthesia in some way, because there are somewhat close to 157 different types of syntehsia.
>>
>>17774388
It's not really "things" for me, but visuals. It is very hard to explain. It is such a deep part of my life that I think of objects/situations/people as the things I feel. A lot of them don't make sense. And everything in a situation is a contributing factor. Down to the last detail. The light source in the room, the shoes I'm wearing, the time of day. For instance, I was making pancakes earlier and it's super humid out so all of the surfaces in my house feel damp, but it's also cold out and all of the windows are open. The only light that was on in my house was the light above the stove, and as I was making my pancakes I experienced this feeling that reminded me of my childhood and low light levels and smoking cigarettes and the sound of a fan blowing in another room. It was also kind of angsty, but with apathy. Like you know you're in a bad situation, but you're too far gone to care. Anyways, it wasn't that strong that I had to stop making my pancakes. I just kind of flipped one and thought "huh, that's new."
It might have been the smell of the wood in my house being all damp. I don't know. Sorry for rambling on.
>>
>>17774411
Also this, certain places and object settings and stuff make me feel like the atmosphere from a "Scene" that may or may not exist.
>>
>>17774408
Yeah, I get that. But I don't know, people talk about synesthesia like it's physical. It's not for me, it's all emotional. I don't actually feel wind against my face, but it's more the memory of it. Even if I've never experienced the exact memory that I'm feeling.
>>
>>17774417
It doesn't have to be physical at all, thats the thing about there being so many different types of it. You can have vision -> emotion synthesia. but i really do understand this exact phenomenon you are talking about because ive been trying to put words to it for a long time and never found someone else who understands it.
>>
>>17774425
Yeah. I think that it's just everything in general. Every single sense I'm experiencing combines to give me that strange 'feeling.' If I'm listening to music, it will also intensify the situation massively, or sometimes music will give me one of them. Usually my music associations are a lot stronger than just being in a situation.
>>
>>17774439
I feel you about the music. Whenever it happens to me i typically get a really vivid daydream type image flash into my mind of the scene that im feeling too.
>>
>>17774446
Exactly. I don't know, it's kind of poetic. I could go on for hours about all of the details about what I'm feeling when I experience them. They're sometimes super dramatic and strong too, and they'll amp me up. My therapist is worried about this because sometimes they have to do with death/blood/sacrifice/murder and I can go into intense detail about it.
>>
>>17774452
I understand about the detail because its super intense, its almost as if you can feel everything happening in the little area your mind just created about this feeling. My strongest ones are typically a feeling of nostalgia for a time that hasnt happened yet if that makes any sense, and like a lot of upscale emtpy apartments with low light shining through. I have those recurring very often.
>>
>>17774460
Yes, I get your nostalgia thing! When I feel actual nostalgia for stuff, it's very similar to how the things feel. For me they're not often very "intense" just very detailed. Very rarely are they so intense that I have more than a passing thought about them, or that they're suddenly my whole world.
>>
>>17774468
I'm glad im not the only one who understands this. It'll happen sometimes and ill explain to my girlfriend when it does and i just kinda get a head nod and a crazy look. I honestly wonder if there is a word out there for this that isnt synthesia, because it is so specific
>>
>>17774327
Its hard to explain. Reach a vision in your head and dig. If you want to know more ask me
>>
>>17774486
What do you mean?
>>
Honestly just seems like living in the moment. Truly experiencing your surroundings and allowing your subconscious to make connections with present time
>>
>>17774255
Maybe you're over analysing déjà vu?
>>
>>17776882
I know exactly what he's talking about. It's not in any way deja vu.
>>
>>17776951
I bet it's related. Déjà vu is weird. Our memories are weird.
>>
>>17776882
Nope, deja vu is distinctly different for me. It's not like that.
>>
File: 1458612760050.jpg (67 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1458612760050.jpg
67 KB, 625x626
HOLY FUCK

DUDE

YES

THANK YOU

I've gotten these feeling ever since I was little

The most prominent one that remains to this day is the smell of my windowsill at night while my window is open an inch.

The smell itself used to send me into panic attacks when I was small, and I'd have even more involved night terrors as a result.

I went on to associate that smell with my own death, which lead into an obsession over death and the dream life.

Which is why I am alone today at 22...and why I'll be alone until I die at 39.

..... yeah
>>
File: 1457291929003.gif (72 KB, 600x623) Image search: [Google]
1457291929003.gif
72 KB, 600x623
>>17779816
of course there were other smells that resulted in a whole spectrum of different feelings.
A lot of specific houses and towns that I've visited have had great effects on how I am at the moment and for some time after.

It almost feels like a feeling attributed to something that happened in the presence of these certain stimuli, that I have not/will not experience in this lifetime, but have in some other fucking existence.....I dunno. It's fucking weird. Literally all the people that I try to talk to about this shit has no idea. I've fucking lost everything to this kind of stuff. and I won't let it go. Cause it's real. Ya know????
>>
File: 1456938322689.jpg (629 KB, 2500x1870) Image search: [Google]
1456938322689.jpg
629 KB, 2500x1870
>>17779822
Like seriously

if anyone want to talk about this shit....

I just am so fucking alone with this, it's all I have.

and if there are more people that know this stuff, then fuck me, let us talk. I've never gained anything from obsession over this, maybe we can help each other?????
>>
>>17779827
holy fuck i am so grateful i am crying
>>
>>17779835
if OP wants to talk I'll surely be up for it, whenever he's back on
>>
Holy shit, I've been trying to articulate this for the past few weeks and have been somewhat conscious of it for as long as I can remember. But I know the exact phenomenon your talking about. I've also noticed that each "period" in my life has specific "feelings" that are only tied to that specific collection of time. Almost as if every "act" in my life has its own label emotion to attach to it. These label emotions can also be attached to places like yours can.
>>
>>17774358
That's so weird, I have it too, I thought everyone did,...shit.
>>
>>17774255
Ihave PTSD from iraq and afghan, so im pretty sure mine are of a more matierial nature than paranormal.
>>
This thread is depressing as fuck because it reminds me of when my therapist taught me what complex emotions were.

I was feeling things like noatalgia, anxiety, and self consciousness but I was describing them by how my body felt physically. Like "angry" was overheating from wanting to hit someone in order to make them stop talking, because I resorted to physically interrupting them after they wouldn't stop talking after I asked. Then I have to force myself not to move my muscles, which started the overheating
>>
>>17779837
Yeah sorry lol didn't have wifi for a day. I'm glad everybody is feeling like they relate to my original post. I'm just wondering if we're all on the same page...? I'd love to hear about everyone's personal experiences with this "thing." And does anyone have any idea at all what it is? Or if everyone experiences it, or only some people do?
>>
>>17780046
I'm not trying to say that it's paranormal at all. In fact, I think that most of the stuff posted on this board is... untrue. I posted here because posts aren't fast, and /b/'s culture is really just horrible. But whatever it is I'm experiencing, it's very real. I've just never been able to put a name to it, and it seems that a lot of other people haven't either.
>>
>>17779816
That's very interesting. The majority of mine aren't of a morbid nature. They don't really make me feel scared, or anything similar. When I was younger there were a lot that would make me feel sick, but I haven't experienced that in a while. And in case anyone's interested, I've been diagnosed with depression. I'm also in treatment for thanatophobia. So I have absolutely no idea if that has anything to do with it, but it's probably something to do with brain chemistry.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.