[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the meaning of this ARG, has anyone on the board taken
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 480x360
What was the meaning of this ARG, has anyone on the board taken part that would want to share information? Have to wonder if anyone out there knows much about it at all as there wasn't much to go off on previous threads.
>>
>>17755658
There was an article were a guy got in. He said it was just a glorified message board.
>>
>>17755663
10/4.
>>
>>17755658
That is not an ARG, it's a whole community with leadership hierarchy and member all over the world.
>>
Watch Mr. Robot. His little band of hackers are essentially what the people in control of 3301 are like.
>>
>>17755658
It wasn't an ARG. IT was an effort to find highly intelligent and skilled people with wide knowledge bases. The end purpose of the group was never truly revealed. Theories range widely: a simple organization of people with no real goal except to have similar people to talk to; an alien people looking for the best human minds; a group of hackers looking to change the world (highly likely due to the tasks involved in gaining acceptance into the group); nothing more than an ARG (highly unlikely, again due to the tasks involved, but not impossible). I'm sure there are many other theories, but we have no real way of knowing, as the only person that could confirm completion of the tasks was never accepted into the inner ranks. There was a guy that was supposedly a part of their inner circle, and he released some info, but there was no way to confirm if his claims were true.
>>
>>17756061
This is pretty close from what I've figured out.

It's like Internet Mason's
>>
>>17756061
One more theory was that it was a CIA sponsored project to find inteligent people for a think tank...

Also, to add to the information: there were supposedly people who solved all the puzzles and were sent email with a questionare they had to fill out. They were asked to not release this information but there was a leaked version somewhere.

3301 held multiple events like this, pretty much yearly for I think 3 years? (too lazy to check that out)

3301 supposedly got angry after they found out that people on the internet cooperated together thus also silly and "stupid" people got through the puzzles eventually for free. At this point they voiced their concerns and stopped all communication.

There were no further puzzles since.
>>
I can't remember how old I was when I first saw that message, I was new to 4chan. But I thought it was a joke "Hidden in this message is a code..." yada yada. I thought it was just a prank that someone made to troll people. Looks like I was the dumbass.
>>
>>17756102
>One more theory was that it was a CIA sponsored project to find inteligent people for a think tank...
Yeah, no. Puzzles should have been task based in that case, not some random bullshit.
It's just some overglorified ARG and nothing more.
>>
Visual puzzles aren't the only puzzles, some art isn't painted. Mans true origins would be first knowledge and instruction, displayed in cave drawings etc, man is clever, stone henge is a seasonal calendar working with the sun, you can read up your books, or you can follow mans art he-art.
>>
>>17756126
Possibly, but by now the people that started it and the people that solved it would have formed a purpose. It's nearly impossible to gather people with the intellect and skills necessary to solve those puzzles without a well defined group dynamic and purpose being formed. Many of the puzzles were nearly impossible to solve, even by the most talented people that attempted to solve them. It's possible to form a group of average or below average intellect people and form little to no purpose, but if people are highly skilled and driven, they will find purpose even where there was originally none. Typically, the lolitrolu ARGs are solved fairly easily. I think the Deeper youtube channel that was pretending to be a serial killer had all of his puzzles solved very rapidly, and he was doxxed within days. Turned out there was nothing real there, just a kid with too much time on his hands. Cicada 3301, even when it first released a puzzle, was a group of people. Those people almost certainly have a purpose now, even if they didn't when they started. The fact that they've never been doxxed lends much credence to the idea that they are real and they have a purpose.
>>
>>17756359
>The fact that they've never been doxxed lends much credence to the idea that they are real and they have a purpose.
Not really. The only thing that fact means is that they know basic (well, a little more than that) online anonymity and there were no major vectors for doxxing anyway. There are quite a few YouTube projects that were not doxxed due to not being silly (can't blame that Deeper guy, there are some unexpected pifalls).

>but by now the people that started it and the people that solved it would have formed a purpose
Everything has a purpose but the main thing that I like to argue is that Cicada 3301 was some recruitment project led by CIA/KGB/Illuminati. This is extremely implausible.

> Many of the puzzles were nearly impossible to solve, even by the most talented people that attempted to solve them.
Exactly. Puzzles like Cicada are made for the sake of puzzle. Ability to solve "one-of-a-kind" puzzles won't land you a job in CIA just because puzzles like these have no real life applications.
>>
File: Cicada3301_2016.jpg (26 KB, 563x569) Image search: [Google]
Cicada3301_2016.jpg
26 KB, 563x569
>>17755658
They released a puzzle for 2016, it is still going on because it seems that no one has solved it yet.
It's apparently a book created by the Cicada called Liber Primus.
>>
>>17756885
There is community devoted to solving Cicada3301 here: http://uncovering-cicada.wikia.com/wiki/2016_Puzzle
>>
>>17756102
>being surprised people on the internet cooperate when you post a challenge on 4chan
Something sounds stupid here, either this or them.
>>
>>17756102
>>17756126
I've always been extremely suspicious about their "muh single people only, no cooperative groups allowed!" thing.

Considering one of the puzzles was finding multiple QR codes scatters across multiple continents, they must either have been delusional enough to think people would spend thousands of dollars flying around on their own.

More likely thing is that they used the people cooperating as an excuse to shut it down with the actual reason being something else.
>>
>>17755658
>>17756885
they are extremely wicked people
>>
the last thing I remember was that anons found some coordinates from a reunion that took place in Amsterdam. sadly I had to go out for a while and when I came back everything was gone.
>>
>>17756885
Shit, I didn't know they made another contact!

I knew that Liber Primus was released and for a year or so we were unsuccessful to decrypt that so far...

fuck it, I'm getting back on the hype train!
>>
>>17756495
I actually agree that it was almost certainly not a recruitment effort by an intelligence agency, however the complexity of solving the many codes and ciphers laid about in their puzzles is what indicated to some that it may have been an intelligence agency doing it. Many people have an intense desire to find out who they are. The fact that nobody has leads me to believe they know more than "a little more than" basic internet anonymity.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.