[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lovecraftian Ideology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15
File: Lovecraft.jpg (137 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft.jpg
137 KB, 620x412
Does anyone else think that Lovecraft may have been onto something? Is it possible that what the human mind is capable of perceiving is far from the actual limits of the universe? Could entities beyond us exist that think of us the way we think of insects or even germs?
>>
>>17738392
We can, but we prefer not to. You don't always make it easy. Also, we love to feel positive human emotion. Also also, you, in part, create us, whether you know it our not.
>>
>>17738397
could you be a little clearer? Please explain what you mean by "you" and "we". We're both human this isn't a rp thread
>>
>>17738397
On the flip side, I very much appreciate as much as I can the potential value instilled by being forced to live a human life, be it from the knowledge I have found through fear, or the connection I have with my flesh. Attempting to ruin these things could prove catastrophic in a manor that some things are never meant to exist, such as a consciousness that stubs its toe continuously for true-years of 10,000 millennia, with varying levels of pain and relief, as such to create an infinite negativity.
>>
I think he was on to something in the sense that he recognized better authors and tried to imitate them.

I think there's a lot of things in the universe that are beyond people, particularly people who post on /x/.
>>
He was right and was revealing too much so they had to push his stories as fictitious schizophrenic tales.
>>
>>17738406
If you ask me something cool, I'll give you an answer. I can tell you why an uneducated magician can't work in their own in the real world, for instance.
>>
could it be possible that our ancient ancestors could see glimpses of such cosmic entities and in their struggle to understand them called them gods?
>>
How do i contact an old one?
>>
>>17738439
How old? Tree fiddy?
Wow, meme magic is no joke. Touche.
>>
>Does anyone else think that Lovecraft may have >been onto something?
Lovecraft, a hard core atheist and skeptic, would shudder at such a suggestion.
>>
>>17738442
end yourself.
>>17738439
You don't want to.
>>
>>17738427
Is it possible to open one's consciousness into experiencing some form of contact with cosmic entities beyond the normal man's ability? Even if Lovecraft was right and to do so would mean madness I would very much like to know
>>
>>17738444
checkem. Lovecraft didn't create stories of gods. I'm not suggesting that there are gods. Lovecraft created stories of entities beyond us. They are not deities except to those who worship them without understanding their true nature. They are as much a part of Lovecraft's universe as humans. I see your point but I believe Lovecraft just didn't feel humanity was the apex of life in the universe.
>>
File: tumblr_nlrhptkYsZ1tqo1ejo1_500.png (190 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlrhptkYsZ1tqo1ejo1_500.png
190 KB, 500x500
>>17738455
>>
>>17738447
That's the problem with you humans. You don't even know how much you want the most evil thing that exists- chaos. We sit here relentlessly constructing perfect structures for you to enjoy that contain endless flavors of chaos, but you would rather ignore the fact that these things exist and try to just find a way to hurt yourself. But that's youth.

If already hurting,it's completely understandable to seek this, under certain conditions. I've been there myself. I guess I would just say be honest. The way you present yourself is important. If you really want power, though, exhaust all avenues you can by your own power. Learn. Examine. Conceptualize. Eventually, it all has to pay off in one way or another. We exist because we created a simultanious perfect cyclical wavelength. Who we are is what we made. V
>>
>>17738465
lol well fuck me. This guy was a class act douchebag. You got me. Still, just because he created the genre without some kind of actual belief doesn't mean he was right in dismissing it.
>>
File: oDCku2OIub5lDuf7fCdTkg-wide.jpg (19 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
oDCku2OIub5lDuf7fCdTkg-wide.jpg
19 KB, 300x400
>>17738476
>you humans

Stopped reading.
>>
>>17738476
Look I'm here for some genuine discussion not some faggot who thinks he's beyond humanity.
>>
>>17738478
No, he's right in dismissing it. HPL was a fiction writer.

If anybody's a douchebag, it's people thinking he was on to something and taking it as anything other than fiction.
>>
>>17738487
Ok, cool. You never asked about the magician thing, so I couldn't get into macro vs micro, but whatever. I wish you all the best of luck.
>>
>>17738414
kek this
>>
>>17738497
Actually, not cool. You asked, I answered. Rude.
>>
>>17738496
I'm not saying C'thulhu and Nyarlathotep exist. I'm saying it's possible that there are entities that are simply more than the human mind can understand or perceive.
>>
>>17738497
this isn't a magic thread. There are plenty of those for you roleplaying faggots now fuck off
>>
>>17738481
Fair enough. I'm story if I was being presumptuous in assuming that the majority of you were humans.
>>
>>17738434
>ancient astronaut theorist say yes
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-26-13-19-37.png (528 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-26-13-19-37.png
528 KB, 720x1280
>>17738517
Just figured I'd see if I'd be appreciated/helpful here. The whole Lovecraft magic Rhode Island thing. It appears not. And I'm frustrated, which is post for the course, so I probably will take my leave shortly. Tree fiddy lel
>>
>>17738529
Lovecraft was Sci-fi horror not traditional fantasy. It's true his stories talked about cults which practiced black magic but aside from plot devices like the rituals and chanting in "The Dunwich Horror" this "magic" never actually does anything of consequence.
>>
>>17738537
That's why I was talking macro and micro
>>
>>17738414
Said the person posting on /x/
>>
>>17738539
Ok, gotta go. Good luck, pps.
>>
>>17738478
And this is why Scientology is able to flourish
>>
>>17738572
that's taking it to extremes. Scientology is a cult plain and simple. I would never presume to give these entities names, forms, or anything that could be called an accurate description. They're very simply beyond us in the same way that we are beyond germs.
>>
>>17738581
I get what you are saying, but please don't fall for the trap of "believing". Even if there could be entities of any highly superior kind in the universe, there's no need to assume they exist.

Occam's Razor could not be more relevant here. I hope you have applied it to Lovecraft's stories?
>>
>>17738605
of course but I just enjoy dwelling on these things. I have no evidence to believe they exist so I won't but I also won't dismiss the idea that they could exist. Even if they did it's not like there's much I could do regarding them.
>>
File: wallpaper-583198.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-583198.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>17738622
True. It is an interesting idea, I admit.
>>
>>17738686
isn't that a magic tg card?
>>
>>17738476
Fucking rp faggot kill yourself
>>
https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/cosmic-horror/
>>
File: NICE MAN.jpg (478 KB, 1122x1122) Image search: [Google]
NICE MAN.jpg
478 KB, 1122x1122
>>17738392
YES, AND THE MOST MIGHTY IS KEK
>>
File: lovecraft-bestiary.jpg (422 KB, 1280x1792) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft-bestiary.jpg
422 KB, 1280x1792
>>17738392

Lovecraft was heavily atheist and I don't think he considered his fictionnal creatures as anything more than fiction.

However, that question stay valid, we can't assert for sure that creatures outside of our perceptions exist or not.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RuUv5UGpw
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 1600x1600
>>17738476
DID SOMEBODY SAY CHAOS
>>
Yes, I think Lovecraft's mythos was inspired by spiritual experiences he had during fever dreams when he was sick as a kid, which helped him see outside of the constraints of "normal reality".
>>
>>17738392
His dream worlds he writes of are similar to the recounts of individuals on DMT trips.
>>
>>17738392
Well on a very technical and factual matter, your average human isn't even all that well equipped to perceive the hum-drum every day shit around us. There are creatures on this planet that can see colors that we can't even imagine. Can hear in frequencies we can't. Can sense the world around them in ways that are completely alien to us on a biological level.
And if you want to talk just pure perception, human to human, just imagine how you would perceive the world around you if you were a few inches taller, or shorter, or your vision was worse or better than what it is. Or if you were colorblind? Or missing a sense?
If you want to go further and talk about stuff we can measure through mathematical formulas and build tools to "see" then you have to keep in mind that its like having a flickering flashlight in the dark.
Or at best we are people trying to tell ourselves what the ocean is like when we've only ever been able to study a puddle.
>>
>>17738392
As for Lovecraft's use or spin on gods as their own entities with no interest or very little (usually not for the best) interest in humanity? Well..that might be closer to what the truth is, if gods are really to exist.
When I used to fuck around with occult stuff, psionics, meditation, all of that stuff it was becoming abundantly clear that if there is any truth to any of this stuff that is happening and if my experiences weren't just some self induced hallucinations then it has nothing really to do with something SPIRITUAL so much as some sort of natural aspect.

But also, consider the way the gods are usually depicted in all the ancient stories of man. How they are not all powerful, all knowing, and most of all they are never all good. It is fearful humans that attribute these things to these "gods". But what really could a god be?

Consider an anthill. What is an anthill compared to you? What is the lifespan of an ant compared to yours? What is the fate of a single ant or thousands or millions actually matter to you? Unless you have some interest in watching them or outright destroying them or just fucking with them, do you even bother to think of them? How often do you go out of your way to do so?
What if you fucked with an anthill for a day? What is a day to you in your lifespan compared to that of an ant? Or even an hour?
>>
You mean like if you 'zoomed out' far enough out of our universe you would see something like giant cosmic beings observing us? Too much shit and fag role play in this thread to sift through it all for an answer
>>
>>17740966
If that is a reply to >>17740833
then something along those lines, perhaps. Or maybe things that are made on such a small level, sub-atomic, that by that nature they transcend what we consider a physical reality and can appear in any way.

Or perhaps beings that can transition between "dimensions" as we know them? Consider something that might be able to move freely through time. Or even more? What would that extra freedom of movement entitle one to?

Consider that you exist in roughly 4 dimensions right now. Under your own power, you can move in two dimensions rather easily (X and Y) and the third somewhat but not really that well (Z, from jumping up) and yet another one which you have no control of your movement in at all (Time).
How much different of a being could you be in relation to the rest of the world if you could freely move in just that Z access as well as you can walk along X and Y? So much that was out of reach becomes easily reachable. So much that impeded you on X and Y can easily be avoided in Z.
Now what if you did that with time?

Now what about the shit load of other dimensions that we have mathematical models for but haven't found a way to actually observe on our own (and we might be incapable of doing so).
>>
>>17738392
Maybe not in traditional witchcraft but I think his dream practices may be into something.
>>
File: 2001.jpg (109 KB, 390x240) Image search: [Google]
2001.jpg
109 KB, 390x240
>Imagine if lovecraft was Alive today
>Imagine Lovecraftian stories about the Deep net
>>
File: 1419441894472.jpg (295 KB, 600x994) Image search: [Google]
1419441894472.jpg
295 KB, 600x994
>>17741222
It's not like souls can travel through copper wire though so that's not really that scary
>>
He was right about the dangers of racemixing and immigration.
>>
File: 1464071384645.jpg (36 KB, 485x409) Image search: [Google]
1464071384645.jpg
36 KB, 485x409
>>17741222
nothing's stopping you or me from writing that, anon
>>
>>17741228
anon over here knows the psychical capabilities of souls, heh.

heh. heh,heh.
>>
>>17741228
but we can pretend they can
>>
I think Lovecraft would have fucking despised his faggot filled modern fanbase. He wasn't "on to something" other than half decent stories for low print run magazines.
>>
>>17741051
OP here. This is what I was hoping for. Lovecraft often described the entities in his stories as being made of something that wasn't quite matter. Even if you see them you don't really see what they are. Just a vague idea. C'thulhu doesn't look like an octopus-headed dragon man, but that's what anyone who sees him perceives. It's very clear that he's much more than that. If you were to travel in the 4th dimension as easily as you walk down a hallway would it be reasonable to assume that regular people could have a hard time perceiving what you actually look like? Your body would likely need to take on properties beyond that of regular matter to accomplish biological time traveling.
The higher dimensions may be curled up into the strings talked about in string theory. In the 11th dimension a membrane exists rather than just the single circular string. If string theory is correct our universe likely has its own membrane separating it from other potential universes in hyperspace
>>
>>17741368
you're probably right about that but who cares about what he'd think about us. He was also incredibly racist and xenophobic. We're not here to discuss his opinions. We're here to discuss the idea of cosmic entities beyond the scope of human perception.
>>
It's just existentalism
>>
>>17738529
Hmu on that PAD
My ID is 385 457 346
Name: skullxbone

Que es yours ?
>>
ingo swann
>>
>>17739669
Glorious pic
>>
Lovecraft was a skeptic!
>>
>>17741386
>incredibly racist
by the standard of his time that was normal thinking. Stop projecting your morality into the past
>>
File: Caspar_David_Friedrich_073.jpg (531 KB, 1764x1400) Image search: [Google]
Caspar_David_Friedrich_073.jpg
531 KB, 1764x1400
Even though Lovecraft himself said, many times, that his whole mythos was fiction and that there isn't literally a race of interstellar crab people hiding in the hills, it's when he starts to bang on about the nature of dreams and when you start to look at his creatures as metaphysical/non-literal things that there seems to be some sort of applicable logic to it all.

It's hard to say to be honest. Some practicing occultists like Kenneth Grant claim that there was a legitimate practicality to Lovecraft's ideas when it came to magic. When you consider how in touch he was with his dreams and how he explored ideas of lucid dreaming in the Randolph Carter stories, and how lucid dreaming has always been a common step into magical states, it's not hard to see how he may have stumbled on something genuinely occult.

Ask the practising lucid dreamers here if they've ever experience something unhuman in their travels and you'll get some interesting answers.
>>
>>17741483
Sent
>>
>>17738392
>Is it possible that what the human mind is capable of perceiving is far from the actual limits of the universe
Well, yeah, any zoologist could tell you that. There methods of perception used by insects and aquatic creatures we couldn't even imagine using. Our perceptive organs and the linked aspects of the brain only take in a tiny portion of all available information. It's no secret that what we experience is a fantastically small small portion of what is.

>Could entities beyond us exist that think of us the way we think of insects or even germs?
Yeah probably, why not?

But I don't think that's the stuff that really makes HP. His real insight is found in the style, the actual writing of the stories. He had a sense of how interaction with the unknown could feel. He captured a state of mind and a sense of scale that isn't very easy to grasp. He communicated a sense of longing and grandeur, curiosity and fear that is vital to our experience. In a rough, pulpy way Lovecraft was letting us know what it's like to live in the unknown, reminding us we were living there right now and even, likely in a an unconscious way, letting us know we were distant but not entirely alone in our experience of this place.

Unfortunately the actual substance tends to get drowned out in simplistic philosophy and retarded mythos.
>The mythos is fan fiction and misses the actual charm of the original stories
>It's unimportant whether a story is sci-fi or fantasy, the distinction is horribly limited in it's ability to describe weird fiction and, in many cases, actual "sci-fi" and "fantasy"
>Lore is shit
>SHIT!
>>
>what is cosmic nihilism the thread

Nice. Now go back to /lit/
>>
Nietzsche came to a lot of the same conclusions earlier. Nietzsche was the first philosopher who asked, in an earnest fashion, "Why truth?" and didn't bullshit himself into an answer. He believed that truth wasn't the ultimate value and that indeed sometimes it is better to believe lies and myths than truth and that the truth was sometimes just empty.

The beginning of On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral sense even kinda reads like Lovecraft.
>>
>>17743410
I'll have to check it out at some point. I think it's somewhat funny how humanity urges itself towards finding truths when it can only perceive any potential truths at a rudimentary level. A single point of view with several different interpretations and yet I doubt we even come close to a probably absurd explanation for why anything is or must be at all. I will never stop asking why even though I understand that I may end up knowing no more about the true nature of the universe than one who simply lived day to day without ever stopping to ask why he must wake up, go to work, eat meals, go home, clean himself, go to bed, have dreams, and wake up and repeat this cycle that is the average adult human experience.
>>
>>17741384
>>17738392

"All my tales are based on the fundamental premise that common human laws and interests and emotions have no validity or significance in the vast cosmos-at-large. To me there is nothing but puerility in a tale in which the human form – and local human passions and conditions and standards – are depicted as native to other worlds or other universes. To achieve the real essence of externality, whether of time or space or dimension, one must forget that such things as organic life, good or evil, love and hate, and all such attributes of a negligible and temporary race called mankind, have any existence at all. . . . If I were writing an ‘interplanetary’ tale it would deal with beings organized very differently from mundane mammalian, and obeying motives wholly alien to anything we know upon earth – the exact degree of alienage depending, of course, on the scene of the tale; whether laid in the solar system, or in the utterly unplumbed gulfs still further out – the nameless vortices of never-dreamed-of strangeness, where form and symmetry, light and heat, even matter and energy themselves may be unthinkably metamorphosized or totally wanting. I have merely got at the edge of this in ‘[The Call of] Cthulhu,’ where I have been careful to avoid terrestrialism in the few linguistic and nomenclatural specimens from Outside which I present."
>>
>>17743995
Thank you. I find this fascinating
>>
>>17738392
>>17744920
You should check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzVbfSsdMRw
It's a series of selected excerpts from H.P.L.'s stories in which his ideas and views on the universe and reality as a whole are most prominent. The robotic voice is a bit annoying, but the visuals and the music are really fitting.
>>
>>17745169
neato
>>
>>17745169
nice. I like compilation videos
>>
>>17738392
Try to perceive the ability to see ultra violet without just imagining visible purple
>>
>>17745978
I do this quite often but I use "The Colour Out of Space" instead of UV light. I always end up picturing a sickly green but I know that's not what it is at all
>>
File: 1459210605448.jpg (81 KB, 604x510) Image search: [Google]
1459210605448.jpg
81 KB, 604x510
>>17738476
Well TOP KEK
Clap-clap-clap
>>
File: Chimerical-color-demo.svg.png (37 KB, 540x406) Image search: [Google]
Chimerical-color-demo.svg.png
37 KB, 540x406
>>17747060
You can get yourself to see new colors. Try it now.
>>
>>17738392

There's a difference between pierciving and accepting. His protagonists very clearly piercieved but many refused to accept, hence going mad or suicide.

And we have telescopes. No alien riddled worlds or giant alien living in the centre of the galaxy.
>>
>>17747154
> .png

that a spook bruh?
>>
>>17738439
I met one at a bar while visiting my aunt in Annapolis. He was actually a pretty nice guy.
>>
>>17738476
t. Yog Sothoth
>>
File: 784.jpg (12 KB, 468x264) Image search: [Google]
784.jpg
12 KB, 468x264
>>17748026
t. Faggoth
>>
>>17748043
kek
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.