[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Der Lange Verborgene Freund
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Der_Lange_Verborgene_Freund.jpg (24 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
Der_Lange_Verborgene_Freund.jpg
24 KB, 231x346
What does/x/ think/know about The Long Lost Friend?
>>
Why don't you give us a brief summary?
>>
>>17733040

Fine. It's a book of Pennsylvania Dutch folk magic published in 1820 under the title Der Lange Verborgene Freund: possibly the real grimoire written in the New World.
>>
>>17733080
Not the dude that asked, but thanks for that - it sounds interesting and I'd enjoy checking it out soon.
I hope you have some good luck with this thread, op.
>>
>>17733080
That's about all there is to know about it.
>>
I think it's a good read. Some of it is superstitious nonsense but other parts are very useful. What do you want to know about it? It's interesting alone in that it's one of the few American written grimores from that time period.
>>
German name thats strange? Why german?
>>
>>17738088
Because that's the language it was written in. PA Dutch is a German dialect.
>>
>>17738088
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch
>>
>>17733008
I'd be interested in an English translation
>>
>>17733080

Thanks for that description, as I had never heard about it before. As I have not read it and I am intrigued, could you describe or give an overview of topics the book covers?
>>
Bumping for interest.
>>
It's good if you want to cure your horse of cerebral palsy or some shit. It's also supposed to keep you safe if you carry it around. Probably not the most useful grimoire for modern magicians but it definitely has some historical significance.
>>
>>17743265

>Cure your horse of cerebral palsy

Finally! A grimoire for ME!
>>
It's basically an older German/Amerindian version of the modern Farmer's Almanac, though there are a few spells and alchemical works hidden between the Christian chanting and feeding your horse herbal mixtures. Can confirm good book though, keep a copy in my Jeep always. It's famous for being owned by Rehmeyer when he was killed in 1928 for being a witch. I live close by the house he was murdered in.
>>
So now this place just hands out answers? Why not candy?
>>
>>17745456
Maybe even those little wisps everyone knows horses have clean teeth.
>>
File: 1450006696286.jpg (70 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450006696286.jpg
70 KB, 1000x1000
>>17745456
Because candy is harder to fit through phone wires.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.