[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nostradamus was right again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-05-17/new-pilot-earpiece-translates-languages-for-you-in-real-time?mbid=social_cp_facebook_wir

>The disappearance of language differences may occur in 2015 thanks to the presence of the universal translating machine. He predicted that this great development may soon lead to the end of nations with “new engine” in the world.

Well niggers, it looks like notradamus dun did it again,

We've all been there: You're standing in a foreign country, struggling to communicate in another language, and kicking yourself for thinking that listening to 20 minutes of "how to speak whatever" on your phone during the plane ride over would somehow get you by. >The Pilot, an earpiece being developed by the wearable-technology company Waverly Labs and designed for the international traveler, aims to change all that, so you never get lost in translation again.
>>
>>17720774
nostradamus gets most shit wrong, and a device like this was inevitable (there's already been an app for this for a while)

who gives a poop
>>
I don't believe the technology is there for a device like this to actually be useful. Look at how crappy Google translate works and you're providing the computer with clearly written words.
>>
"iPhone, call Carol"
>"...Calling SATAN"

Now imagine that with a computer the size of an earbud, with multiple people talking from various distances in other languages.
>>
>machine translation
>anywhere even close to being accurate
For shitty brown people languages like spanish and portugese maybe. Try translating mandarin or Japanese into English using one of those.
>>
>>17720774
>may occur in 2015
>near summer of 2016

nigga you still believing nostradamus? he said tons of shit, its impossible for some that with the time they happen

screencap this, im predicting the future:
>the almighty coin will drop and lead to a new dragon to take his maw on the global economy

Op, dont believe those shits, it was predictable for any guy with some sort of intelligence that this technology would be able at some point on the future. Nostradamus is not right, he just knew what he had to say.
>>
>>17722279
He himself said that the time of events will always be wrong because he couldn't measured the time precisely due to his dreams being very blurry.
>>
>>17721080
You really need to travel through Ab, Ac, Ad, etc. in order to get from Point A to Point B. What I'm saying is that you have to start somewhere and you can't expect developers to instantly have what you want because you saw Star Trek.

Don't look at new technology and think, "It's useless because it doesn't have the capabilities I need today." Instead, you should think, "We have this set of technologies today, so in many years time, we should have the technology that I will think is useful; I can't wait for that day and I support the efforts working to get us there." Much better approach to progression.
>>
File: Hehpleb.jpg (28 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
Hehpleb.jpg
28 KB, 279x304
>>17721117
>Implying Portuguese is easy
>Kek

Sure mate.
>>
File: uh5PwA6.jpg (77 KB, 513x400) Image search: [Google]
uh5PwA6.jpg
77 KB, 513x400
>>17720774
>>17721080
>>17722504
I work in the space of natural language understanding and speech recognition.

Calling this product premature would be the understatement of the century. A product like this incorporates two main technologies, speech recognition and machine translation.

Machine Translation is still at the point where we don't even know what approach to use. Statistical has hit a wall and semantic is so complicated and mired in ambiguity that no one wants to touch it.

Speech Recognition is in a similar state of total infancy. Any amount of noise, a bad accent, a particularly high voice, a botched pronunciation, and the entire sentence ends up thrown off.

Compound that transcription error with machine translation errors and you wind up with a totally useless device.

Maybe in another 20 years.
>>
>>17722592
All of my this. We might not even live to see a machine that can reconize speech that well and translate it for you at even almost-Star Trek levels. Maybe in a labratory, but in public? Hell naw. this feels like a "sex bot" thread. There are people saying there will be life like sex bots within 20 years. Try 200 years.
>>
>>17722504
Hey man that's exactly my approach to politics :^)
>>
>>17722592
>>17722615

Its 100% coming within our lifetimes but I think we're really going to have to nail artificial intelligence for a true mouth to earpiece instant translation. 20 years minimum though
>>
File: antiscorp.jpg (30 KB, 333x435) Image search: [Google]
antiscorp.jpg
30 KB, 333x435
>>17722592
>Machine Translation is still at the point where we don't even know what approach to use. Statistical has hit a wall and semantic is so complicated and mired in ambiguity that no one wants to touch it.
>Speech Recognition is in a similar state of total infancy. Any amount of noise, a bad accent, a particularly high voice, a botched pronunciation, and the entire sentence ends up thrown off.

There are ways to surpass those problems, but the solutions require specialized hardware.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.