[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Hunters D&D-style Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
Random creature discussion thread. I'm in development of a D&D style of game in which you play a member of an organization whose purpose is to contain/eliminate dangerous folk-lore based creatures. I want to expand my repertoire of interesting creatures to combat

Tell me about any interesting folk-lore based/mythological creatures you've heard stories of.

Preferably nothing extra-terrestrial or overused (i.e. vampires, werewolves)
>>
>>17697455
So how exactly is it going to be different from D&D?
>>
>>17697462
The setting is going to be in modern day with all human characters, but the classes will set the playerss apart along with classic alignments (lawful/neutral/chaotic).

I'm also working on making the combat less turn-based and more fluid between players and creatures
>>
>>17697462
>>17697475
It's most closely related to 5th edition D&D where there's more conversation and spoken detail of interactions
>>
>>17697455
>I'm in development of a D&D style of game
Just use an extant system, nigger

Like deadlands

What's your milieu?
>>
>>17697475
>The setting is going to be in modern day with all human characters
urban areas, I assume? Maybe a big, famous city?
>>
>>17697484
When i say "in development" I mean to say that I haven't touched that part yet. Right now im working on ironing out the classes. I most likely will draw inspiration from already established systems, like deadlands

And do you mean my personal milieu? Why do you ask?
>>
>>17697490
Are you getting at the Dresden Files RPG?
>>
>>17697490
Bigger cities could be a possible setting, yes, but I'm also looking at rural areas as well.

Really a range of modern day environments where unique creatures could thrive and/or pose a threat.
>>
>>17697505
Not that anon, but you want either Cthulhu lite or the Dresden Files RPG
>>
>>17697503
No, I just need a pretty specific starting point

>>17697498
bro, the world does not need another fucking rpg system

i wanted to know your setting

>>17697505
okay, sure. gimme a minute
>>
>>17697516
I gotcha man. I haven't yet refined the setting much beyond the time period and general location concepts like I said in >>17697475 and >>17697505
>>
>>17697516
well it's not like memesters can operate legitimately, for the most part, so you can swap boring criminals for spoopy criminals

pallid, subterranean faggots who sell their psychoactive bodily fluids

fucking unicorns man, except they stalk and murder virginal farm girls in the country and eat their hearts

half-whatevers too ugly to go out in public and need to get by by robbing/attacking normal people

pheromone laden cannibals who lure unsuspecting victims to their doom so they can be butchered and sold on the open market

slavering beasts who rape women to lay their parasitic broods
>>
A couple of the first interesting ones I've read about while lurking are fleshgaits and skinwalkers.

Particularly brutal creatures are what I would like to implement the most. I want the creature encounters to be legitimately daunting with serious threats being posed to the players.
>>
>>17697570
>A couple of the first interesting ones I've read about while lurking are fleshgaits and skinwalkers.
skinwalkers are fucking boring

what about ghostly women who come while you are sleeping and convince you to kill your party members?

if you want big nasty brutes why not something like a long, gangly tree cat with stick thin limbs and razor sharp claws except its front paws have fingers so it can run on all fours as well as swing from branch to branch (or light pole to lightpole) and spill your intesticles with a single swipe?

or maybe a huge, shit eating pale sewer grub
>>
>>17697585
I liked skinwalkers because I thought there wa spotential for an interesting mechanic where a player would be subdued and killed by a skinwalker and be forced to act against their party members.

Similar to your ghostly woman idea
>>
>>17697613
>where a player would be subdued and killed by a skinwalker and be forced to act against their party members.
that isn't how memewalkers work though
>>
>>17697620
I apologize, I accidentally switched them with fleshgaits.

And how exactly are they "memewalkers"?

If you know of any less "memed" creatures, please share.
>>
>>17697633
>And how exactly are they "memewalkers"?
how long have you been on /x/

succubi are always nice
warlocks/black magic users
half dragons
>>
>>17697638
I've never actually noticed anything about them on /x/. I first read about them in a /k/ thread.
>>
>>17697638
I'd like to stay away from classic "magic" users
>>
>>17697643
>I've never actually noticed anything about them on /x/
bait smarter, nigger
>>
File: Mothman.jpg (224 KB, 1000x910) Image search: [Google]
Mothman.jpg
224 KB, 1000x910
Break out some mothman campaigns
>>
>>17697455

>Shtrigas--
A Shtriga is an Albanian witch that feeds on 'spiritous vitae' of life's breath. Shtrigas prefer to feed on children, as their life-force is stronger than that of an adult. Once it feeds on a child, the child's immune system begins to shut down, and the child falls into a coma, and eventually dies. The Shtriga is immortal and invunerable to all weapons exept when it feeds, and is in disguise during the day.

>
Daevas--
Daeavas are Zoroastrian shadow demons. They can be called and controlled using an alter and a Zoroastrian symbol. Daeavas are actually invisible demons, the shadow of which is the only part visible. They kill by ripping the heart out of their victim. When the blood splatters from the body, it falls into the symbol used to call them. Daeavas do not like to be controlled and will turn on their master once the control is broken. Daeavas are hard to kill, but one way to banish them for a short amount of time is to create a bright light, such as setting off a flair.

https://abookofcreatures.com/
>>
isn't this just Delta Green?
>>
File: 200px-HunterTV_cover.jpg (11 KB, 200x259) Image search: [Google]
200px-HunterTV_cover.jpg
11 KB, 200x259
Just play this anon, it's modern day horror where you play mortals hunting down supernatural shit. There's multiple factions the players can align with/join as well, depending on why they're after the creatures:

>Defend loved ones
>Looking for lost knowledge/relics
>POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU
>/x/phile trying to spread information and prove these things are real
>Evil corp harvesting them for profit
>Secret government agency
>Thrill seekers doing it for shits and giggles
>>
>>17700264
>Shtriga
Hmm, sounds a bit Strega, which happens to be a witch in Italian forklore. Coincedence?
>>
>>17697455
You should really look into Shadowrun.
It's d*d, with everything already made out to be futuristic.
Magic still exist, but it was caused by radiation. Easy logic fix.
Replace certain mutants with monsters but keep the stats.
gg
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.