[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncanny valley
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 480x480
What do you think about the uncanny valley? Any stories, creepy experiences or eerie feelings with it?
>>
>>17679351
The Polar Express has always been a contender for being in the lowest part of the UV, though I personally never found it to be creepy.
>>
>>17679409
I personally don't find cinematic UV stuff creepy at all, but UV humanoids freak me out. I guess it has to doing with having a physical presence.
>>
>>17679416
Not to mention some people make them do shit like pic related.

This video to this day still gives me the creepers
>>
File: 686.jpg (330 KB, 593x793) Image search: [Google]
686.jpg
330 KB, 593x793
Does, Janes and Johns, are chock-full of uncanny valley. Dumping accordingly.
>>
File: 1777.jpg (116 KB, 452x565) Image search: [Google]
1777.jpg
116 KB, 452x565
>>
File: NCMU1106542c1.jpg (17 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
NCMU1106542c1.jpg
17 KB, 400x500
>>
>>
File: Oscar.jpg (24 KB, 270x322) Image search: [Google]
Oscar.jpg
24 KB, 270x322
>>
File: 120UFVA1.jpg (10 KB, 134x150) Image search: [Google]
120UFVA1.jpg
10 KB, 134x150
>>
the uncanny valley really doesn't scare me unless it's subtley off

like if you're talking to someone and you start to sense something's wrong.
>>
>>
File: 800px-Namus_2935_Reconstruction.jpg (152 KB, 800x1129) Image search: [Google]
800px-Namus_2935_Reconstruction.jpg
152 KB, 800x1129
>>
File: 53UFNJ1.jpg (4 KB, 120x150) Image search: [Google]
53UFNJ1.jpg
4 KB, 120x150
>>
>>17679777
Trips of fear. This one gives it to me bad.
>>
File: 166UFIL1.jpg (7 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
166UFIL1.jpg
7 KB, 150x150
>>
>>17679764
peggy_hill.jpg
>>
My tolerance to the incanny valley is really, really high due to my neurological atypicality. Besides my own slightly odd expressions (that sadly make people uncomfortable sometimes) the most notable thing is that I'm not creeped out by the uncanny valley at all. Dolls, mannequins, animated characters, robots... All fine. I'm not spooked by corpses or human-like monsters either, I just don't experience the "something is wrong" aspect.

Bad side? Hard to enjoy "scary" content because it's very often based on the uncanny valley effect.
Good side? I'm comfortable working with non-verbal disabled people who'se body language and expressions may be "weird." also, I really enjoy collecting dolls, which is nice.
>>
>>17679877
I work with disabled people. I don't get uncanny valley from them. I get uncanny valley from predators, sociopaths, etc. Like, I was on jury duty for a serial armed robber once. It wasn't his crime that freaked me out. Something about the guy's appearance and mannerisms gave me chills from the moment I saw him. He looked like a normal guy but something about him ate away at me. His face seemed was almost mask-like when idling, when he'd make an expression it seemed incredibly disingenuous and made the Uncanny Valley worse. At one point during the trial he started staring at me and wouldn't stop for about 2 minutes. Most terrifying two minutes of my life.
>>
>>17679903
I know all people don't get that feeling from the disabled but surprisingly many do. Over half of my classmates (social workers to be) havea admitted that disabled people make them feel nervous and uncomfortable and they wouldn't like to work with them.

Sadly my own expression shit is very similar to what you said about sociopaths and predators. Even though I'm not actually hostile, people find my mannerisms unnerving. It's awkward. I have been able to practice it to get better but over time, people start to get the weird feeling around me. Luckily I've found out that most of autistic people (with whom I love working with) don't notice my kind of uncanny valley either.
>>
>>17679930
People have told me that I creep them out and/or unnerve them as well but it's probably because I'm a schizoaffective and, although I am stable af on medication, that makes my mannerisms a little weird. I try to get people to pinpoint and articulate just what it is about me but all they can say is something like "I don't know. You're just odd. Just the way you act and carry yourself." I'm not hostile either, I'm just a weirdo. It sucks a lot because it's' hard to make friends.

I understand completely though because it's not a bad idea to listen to your intuition. I had a friend who ended up attacking me and when I knew him before he never seemed to be fully present. When I first came to know him I told him he had dead eyes. When you looked into his eyes they seemed hazy and empty. Nobody home. It didn't help that he never seemed to talk except to make pop culture references he didn't fully understand. The dude also revealed to me he had only masturbated twice in his life. That's a big red flag.
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 870x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 870x960
>>17679982
>tfw I just enter a room
>everyone treats me as hostile
What the fuck anons? I am not even a big man, I don't have tatoos, a handful of very discrete piercings, a few scars, and a slightly broken nose, and literally everyone crosses the road to avoid me. As soon as I go out, I have people queing up to buy drugs, even though I am not selling, and have never advertised as such.
I find guys at gym busy evil eyeing me for no reason, same as anyone who jas a girl with them.
I have asked, and people say it's my
face and manner, which apparently makes even my close friends feel I am unpredictable, dispite my being a nice guy the entire time I have known them...
I am in no way saying I am not prone to doing the wrong thing every once in a while, but since when, as a young white male, do I have people I don't know genuinely look at me with hate and fear?
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 450x351) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22 KB, 450x351
>>17679770
Wouldnt that just be uncanny?
>>
File: 1462797429977.jpg (86 KB, 738x820) Image search: [Google]
1462797429977.jpg
86 KB, 738x820
>>17680198
what does a graph plotting your mum's insertions have to do with anything?
>>
File: ThrowMeInTheRiverFrank.jpg (23 KB, 381x475) Image search: [Google]
ThrowMeInTheRiverFrank.jpg
23 KB, 381x475
Nothing scarier than uncanny valley/vagueness. Had a girlfriend out too late at a bad park, some guys beat on the car door with hoodies and caps on, even knowing who they were later and getting away, the shadowy obscure faces in the woods still nope me tf out.
>>
>>17680060
you can change that, if you want of course.
start by projecting "nice" thoughts in your brain on daily basis, also visualize yourself as kind loved and wanted among humans. visualization part is very important. i know you wont believe me but try for some time and if you wont see the results, forget about it
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 200x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 200x253
Creative consulting from...yours truly
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.