[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many types of magic can /x/ name? Examples - Telekinesis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
How many types of magic can /x/ name?

Examples

- Telekinesis
- Elemental Magic
- Divination
- Necromancy/Thanaturgy
etc.

I want as many examples of different magics as possible.
>>
>>17670056
Valid. More.
>>
>>17670049
Chemistry, Physics, Astrophysics, Biochem, IT, Computer Science, Psychology, Biology, Astrology, Memes, Pepes, Assholectomies, Science, the Arts, Maths, Medicine, Chemistry, the Moon, Astronauts, Moot, and skinwalkers to name butt a few.
>>
The Gathering.
>>
>>17670049
>Telekinesis

kek
>>
>>17670195
What's funny? I was really expecting more from /x/ than this.
>>
>>17670211

Telekenesis is not magic, neither is divination.
>>
>>17670235
1: you spelled telekinesis wrong and 2: I'm using as lax of definitions of magic as possible so I could (hopefully) get as many suggestions as possible. I don't classify Divination as magic either, but for example Dungeons and Dragons classifies it as one of its 8 schools. It was just an example to start the thread.
>>
>>17670049
While this seems a little too much like, "Pick your class." I'll entertain you. Personally I'd split things up into practices / paradigms instead of RPG mechanics.

Roughly from oldest to newest:

>Animist
>Shamanism
>Witchcraft
>Hermeticism
>Gnosticism
>Chaos Magick
>Psionics
>Memetic
>>
>>17670243

Then I must thank you for sparing the remainder of my time.
>>
>>17670049
There are two kinds, enchantment (acts to actually make something happen), and divination (acts to gain information about what's already "there"). All else is methodology to accomplish one of these two things, which vary to an extent from culture to culture. At bottom, the two kinds are PROBABLY one and the same, anyway, just with a difference of emphasis in the perspective you approach them with, especially concerning belief in your own agency/participation in the outcome.
>>
>>17670255
/thread, this covers everything (albeit broadly)
>>
>>17670308
No, it does not. To name just its most obvious problem: even if you were to stretch the breadth of those categories to their breaking point, every single development in the Indian and Chinese civilizations remains absent from the list.

Categorization is of course largely a matter of preference and can be debated endlessly to little benefit, but even so, there is no way a discussion about how best to organize the history of magical ideas could be held by any number of people reasonably informed on the topic, and end up producing anything resembling that list.
>>
>>17670333
So what would you add?

I did consider Indian / Oriental practices but to be honest I don't have that much experience with them. I would think most of the Chi / Qi whatever based practices would fall under animism.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 420x420
>>17670075
/thread
>>
File: diagram1.png (194 KB, 598x946) Image search: [Google]
diagram1.png
194 KB, 598x946
>>17670342
Hmm…that is a good question. I'll see if I can come up with something today. In the meantime, I'll throw up this old chart from Liber Null, back from before chaos magic was even being called chaos magic (and not without its own flaws, of course).
>>
>>17670049
Elemental magic? Are we naming actual magic or fantasy one? There was evidence of cheese magic in Witcher 3...
>>
>>17670255
Thanks but this isn't EXACTLY what I was looking for. I meant specific disciplines. And I didn't just mean from real life sources. For instance Shamanism would contain a lot of nature interaction and communion with plants and animals and witchcraft would include a lot of "hocus pocus" like love spells and curses.

Is there even a serious Gnostic magical tradition that isn't some hermetic crap with Gnosticism copypasted over it?

>>17670273
>enchantment
Would you call a fireball spell "enchantment"??

>>17670364
Either/or. Actually preferably fantasy since real magics are so incredibly limited. For example: Flight, Invisibility (real bending of light, not muh mental tricks bullshit).
>>
>>17670410
>Would you call a fireball spell "enchantment"??

Well, I have never known anyone to actually accomplish this, even by hearsay, but by definition, it would qualify as an enchantment, though presumably as a means to yet further enchantment (namely, setting someone or something on fire).

Didn't realize you were aiming for fantasy magics by preference, despite having a sense that you were open to those sorts of answers. My answer is probably not that useful for designing a flashy D&D-style game, or whatever it is you're trying to do.
>>
>>17670410
In which case you might find better answers on /tg/. Or /v/ for that matter.
>>
>>17670449
>Didn't realize you were aiming for fantasy magics by preference
Well fantasy has a lot more variety. I want to cover as many bases as possible.

>>17670467
>In which case you might find better answers on /tg/
That's actually a good point.
>>
>>17670049
Meme magic
>>
Illusion
Alteration
Destruction
Conjuration
Restoration
Mysticism
Thaumaturgy
Enchanting
>>
>>17670363
Just on the offchance anyone gives a shit whether I do this or not, I'm not going to bother now, as there seems little point now that more light has been thrown on the fiction-crafting purposes of the thread. /x/ is a pretty shit place to discuss anything like that, anyway, although there are very rare threads where the payoff can be worth the effort.
>>
>>17671319
>as there seems little point now that more light has been thrown on the fiction-crafting purposes
I never said that.

>/x/ claims to know magic
>can't blend reality with fantasy
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>17670049
God magic is where all magic springs from so by naming it I name magic itself. /thread losers
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.