[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is the deep web basically a meme at this point? is it even worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: tor.png (265 KB, 600x914) Image search: [Google]
tor.png
265 KB, 600x914
is the deep web basically a meme at this point? is it even worth browsing? i'm very interested in it. but i don't know anything about it except the horror stories & the fucked up things happening on there. so my final question is, should i download tor & find out for myself or is it a waste of time at this point
>>
Part of the issue is that secret websites are hard to find on the deep web. Mostly by word of mouth. The only ones that are available are the ones you mentioned the "meme" sites.

Probably there really is some messed up shit going on in the deep web but unless you have the .onion address good luck finding it.
>>
>>17669920
These days, yeah, it's mostly a meme to scare moms who watch too much crime drama. Drugs, weapons, gore, hitman scams, and lots and lots of honeypots.
>>
>>17669931
This
Not even worth using unless you want something illegal which I would advise against
>>
>>17669920

It's always been a place for illegal shit, CP sharing, drugs, stolen shit, etc. There are some interesting forums on there but nothing extraordinary. If you go there, remember that all the creepy shit is just made by edgy art students or autists with nothing better to do, keep the browser windowed, don't give people any information, if you want to buy stuff like drugs or whatever don't use sites like coinbase when creating a wallet.
>>
>>17669920
Can you find something about THAT in the Deep Web?
>>
>>17669920
>at this point
It has always been a meme
>>
File: 1454165197952.png (1 MB, 1054x655) Image search: [Google]
1454165197952.png
1 MB, 1054x655
>>17670005
Gov secrets classified docs
tons of interesting shit
tor + i2p has everything you need!
the irc chats are the best places on there but its pretty hard to find decent ones
i2p has neat irc servers but you have to gain other users your trust since the FBI/NSA are on 24/7 logging users so they use whats called Off the Record encrypted chats and PGP over OTR for extra layer of encryption

remember the FBI are the biggest faggots on there! never trust them.
>>
>>17669929
You won't find the fucked up shit using an onion address... People aren't stupid, the deep web is crawling with FBI / NSA... Tor browsers are for edgy faggots and autists
>>
File: 300px-IRCNames.png (71 KB, 300x274) Image search: [Google]
300px-IRCNames.png
71 KB, 300x274
havn't spoke about this in a while
remember us monkeys?
remember what u did too me and forest?
http://432hunabku.referata.com/wiki/The_Beginning
>>
>>17669920
it's for criminals to buy/trade drugs/cp.

its not a place for dumbfuck kids to go looking for spooky garbage.

now fuck off and leave us alone.
>>
>>17669920
Most people have a level of ignorance towards computers that is just enough so that they can be spoon fed bullshit every day about Tor and since the bullshit sounds like something that jibes with the little that they do know about computers, it makes sense to them.

These people have set up their own home router, maybe with something like DD-WRT. They set up Grandma's iPhone. They maybe are the person their family or co workers rely on for minor computer issues, dabbled with Linux, did some file recover once when Aunt Gertrude's Windows XP machine crashed, maybe even figure out some routing stuff, or have an entry level cert like A+ or something. Probably run whole-disk encryption because fuck the government that's why!

They booted Tails and visited all the sites on The Hidden Wiki and now think that they're experts on Tor.

These are the people that if you tell them that the government can see every iota of data on the Internet (including Tor) - or something along those lines to a lesser extent - they're going to believe it. They've grasped half the computer concepts and extrapolated half truths from reading news reports about Tor and surveillance that they don't fully understand.

OP here's what's up. The important stuff on Tor is mostly things like photos and videos of human rights abuses from whistle blowers. A hidden service (Tor website) set up for one specific contact inside The Great Firewall to get his/her data to some journalist in the West. These things never show up on the damn wiki and are never indexed.

If your shit is properly configured at both ends, and you follow good OpSec, you're not gonna get busted by anyone.

The Deep Web / The Dark Net is just a meme.
>>
The whole appeal of the """"deep web"""" was that it was only known about by people it was relevant to, IE those who actually liked buying drugs discretely or scavenging for CP

When it got all popularized and memed with the whole bullshit about it containing government documents and hitmen and jimmy hoffa's cock and shit like that, it lost its appeal. There's no secrecy anymore. Now at this point if you try to buy drugs there, you are liable to get nailed.

I've been lead to believe that a lot of the hairier shit has moved to Freenet now. I don't want to fuck with Freenet, the whole part about allocating a portion of my hard drive for other people to store whatever the fuck they want on it really bothers me.
>>
>>17669920
It's boring there and takes forever to load any page. You need to actually know the creators of weird websites to find them.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 199x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 199x200
>>17670003
>keep the browser windowed
Kek, I lost already
>>
>>17670003
>keep the browser windowed
Y tho
>>
Snuff is pretty scary, but it's illegal. Spoopy shit that doesn't break the law doesn't need to hide on the Deep Web in the first place.
>>
half of the shit you find on the deep web can easily be found on the surface web. If you're really curious you might as well watch one of the 40 exploration videos playfags put up now on youtube, because they mostly come across a repeat of the same stuff.
>>
Yeah, it's ruined pretty much. Well, TOR is. TOR can't be considered part of the deep web due to how well known it is now. Everyone legitimately using it has either been scared off by that, or scared off by the cops and FBI setting up all kinds of shit now they're aware of it.

Of course, everyone falls for the trolling and meme shit when it comes to the spooky sites set up just to fuck with people.
>>
Go to LainChan if you want real deep web enthusiasts.
>>
>>17670406
Sites can track your browser by full screen size.
>>
>>17670482
No, it just gives them the information of wether a certain user coming through a certain relay was viewing content in fullscreen, they cannot track this information past your exit relay.
>>
>>17670482
>>17670497
This is what I mean about having half the story.
>>
>>17670686
So learn to read and do some research?
>>
tor isn't secure anymore
>>
People here talk about magick but how do I become a true wizard of information? How might I go across learning every bit of information about modern technology and using that for enlightenment and meme activism?
>>
>>17670777
by checking these dubs you silly bitch
>>
>>17670782
these?
>>
>>17670782
>>17670787
>pretending to possess digits
Please. Leave this to the proffesionals.
>>
>>17670413
Implying you've seen actual snuff.
>>
Starting to think there should be a deep web board for all these edgy computer illiterate douche bags...
>>
>>17670003
>It's always been a place for illegal shit, CP sharing, drugs, stolen shit, etc.
Not anymore, FBI has taken most if not all of them down, and/or replaced them with honeypots. Only pale imitations of them are left, and given that Anonymous or just the general /b/ folk are complete and utter lefty SJWs, anything that is illegal they'll report or make into a honeypot themselves for good boy points from the LEA.
>>
File: 1462653576952-b.gif (935 KB, 294x200) Image search: [Google]
1462653576952-b.gif
935 KB, 294x200
>>17670413
So you saw that material right?...
>>
>>17671112
>imblying
really tho
>>
>>17670767
>So learn to read and do some research?
That's what I'm saying.

Fagts like
>>17670482
>>17670497
have half the story.
>>
>>17670413
>>17671112
You don't need deep web to find plenty of snuff. There are some creepy gore or dare websites showing uncensored material from beheadings commited by terrorists and other such stuff easily available online.
>>
OP here. decided to download tor & browse for a few hours.
>couldn't find anything except autists & stuff about the order of nine angels & other cult things.
>>
>>17670378

how do you go about finding the blacklisted news coverage?

Im a newb, but I love work done by Greenwald, Fang, Scahill, etc....

Obviously ur not gonna give me the deets because u think i may be nefarious in thisrequest, but can you give me a starting point?
>>
>>17671359
be a whistleblower/journalist. they wouldn't risk letting random people see something that could potentially get them jailed by the chinese government.
>>
File: Mu Nigge.jpg (107 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Mu Nigge.jpg
107 KB, 720x960
>>17670176
>leave us
>>
>>17670176
kill yourself, edgelord
>>
File: IMG_18971[1].jpg (996 KB, 1212x1714) Image search: [Google]
IMG_18971[1].jpg
996 KB, 1212x1714
>see deep web thread in /x/
>mention cp
>get b&
>>
>>17671301
But I gave the whole story there? or as large an amount as is reasonably applicable?
>>
yea you can browse interesting stuff. If you want the other stuff, you gotta stick around and try to search kinda hard. Not all that hard though.

But it can have illegal materials which could be anything from drugs, to guns, to government documents and such. Some of the best clearnet sites also have an onion handle. People make it seem like all it's for is to do bad things... my point is bad depending on perspective. Legality is not the basis on which one ought or ought not do something, unless society is infallible or at the very least rational, which it isn't. That being said.

The corrupt run a long con game. Tor is slow because your info gets bounced through multiple nodes, and some might be slower than others. If we all had ultra fast fiberwire connections it'd be much more feasible. Also, schools have kept kids intentionally ignorant in regards to computer and IT competency.

ToR in theory is a great thing. Anonymity and net neutrality must be preserved. We're kinda fucking ourselves with the apathy.
>>
>>17669920
>is the deep web basically a meme at this point?

It's getting to be...

>is it even worth browsing?

haven't been on since 2013 or so. brb installing tor BB now. Will tell you inna minnit :^)

...and after looking. eh, not really. All the sites I used to use (mainly libraries) are all down. It's pretty boring down there anyway. Mostly edgelords, criminals and kid fuckers.

>but i don't know anything about it except the horror stories & the fucked up things happening on there.

It's much more mundane than a bunch of the dumb pastas make it out to be, and most people who go there on the reg like to make jokes and shit to fuck with noobs and dumbass kids.

mostly boring forums and book repositories...unless CP and drugs are what you like.
>>
hmm... discussion boards? anyone got them? not some shitty pedo board anyone can find those

i'm talking something like torchan. is that still up?
>>
>>17669920
I mean, downloading tor and getting on the deep web should take less than 10 minutes realistically speaking, so go for it?
>>
>>17671337
I'm sure there are sick fucks who make snuff "movies" as if it's some kind of art, but if you just want to look at crime/murder footage only then you can even find it on YouTube.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.