[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so the myths of silver being effective against certain paranormal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: 1462290031471.jpg (132 KB, 502x500) Image search: [Google]
1462290031471.jpg
132 KB, 502x500
Ok so the myths of silver being effective against certain paranormal entities are prevalent right? But would gold be more or less effective? What if you used a golden bullet instead of silver, for instance to shoot werewolves or whatever?
>>
What if you used a solid gold stake through its heart?
>>
>>17655609
Silver is poison to some of the Fey, Iron is poison to most of the Fey. Gold would be useless unless it was against something that could be killed by mundane means anyways
>>
>>17655642
What makes silver poison? Just randomly chosen?
>>
>>17655645
Not sure really, I've heard its because its the 'holy metal' but I suspect its more like arsenic is to people. They can heal from wounds humans can't but if a human could heal from being stabbed in what would be mortally, an arsenic blade stabbing them would still kill them, not from the stab but from the reaction to the metal in their blood
>>
>>17655651

Or plutonium rounds or depleted uranium or something right?
>>
>>17655609
Silver is kinda disinfectant so I see why there are legends about it.
>>
>>17655651
Some legends say it ties into silver being tied to lunar magic.
>>
>>17655684
Ok but is that it's only weakness? Wouldnt it still be able to die in a volcano or crushed or like burnt or something? Acid?
>>
>>17655645
Silver was known for it's purity as a metal bacj in the days of alchemy and such. Gold in it's purest form is way too soft to be useful as a weapon. Silver not only retains a decent hardness, it looks pure with that high polish.

Not only that but all the traits of silver. Doesn't rust easily, can be honed into a sharp edge, fairly easy to obtain, light for a precious metal, easy to work with. Any religious figure had it all around (for other reasons I don't feel like getting into), yet even peasants could get a tiny bit if they wanted.
>>
OP herr, I just feel like if you could isolate what specifically about silver makes it so effective you could exploit that in other means of destruction
>>
>>17655664
Copper is a better anti fungal or antimicrobial agent though, so why not copper bullets or w/e?
>>
>>17655645
Silver represents moon, moon rules over mind and is the source of devine energy.
>>
>>17655693

See that's what I was thinking too. That there has to be either something to the molecular structure or something in silver to make it effective. Knowing what it is, you could engineer new things based around that to combat those creatures affected by it
>>
>>17655704

So other things representing the moon and/or mind could theoretically be used against it?
>>
>>17655693
I dunno. Maybe because silver is more precious than copper, but I'm just guessing here.
>>
>>17655645
IT has to do with Judah payment for turning in christ from the lore I've read
>>
>>17655692
Bro it's all just make believe calm down
>>
>>17655721
Well you haven't been where I've been so I get it. Just indulge me or go about your way plz.
>>
>>17655717

Haven't they been around longer than that in lore?
>>
>>17655726
Not really I cant speak for werewolfs but vampires aren't that old of a myth
>>
>>17655711
Are you retarded?
>>
>>17655722
Then tell your story because even if this is all real the implications of the power come from faith not science
>>
>>17655734

Well it's more about werewolves I guess really. I was just posing some quick examples
>>
>>17655751
I'm not a good story teller and I don't really feel like turning this thread into defending something that nobody in /x/ was a part of.
>>
>>17655735
Well that's what they are saying is why silver would work. That's their theory so it makes sense within that context.
>>
File: received_10153618627993494.jpg (50 KB, 736x572) Image search: [Google]
received_10153618627993494.jpg
50 KB, 736x572
You guys got anything else or is this it? Should I be more patient? I'm not familiar with the speed of this board.
>>
File: received_878483482277397.jpg (10 KB, 403x332) Image search: [Google]
received_878483482277397.jpg
10 KB, 403x332
Please don't let it die yet, I need more ideas on this that come from differential perspectives.
>>
>>17655846
*different.
Fucking phones and auto "correct"
>>
>>17655722
Ha, told him off like a true gentleman! Is this even 4chan?
>>
>>17655850
I'm not at all a gentleman, but I also made this thread to discuss something specific so if he wants to debate whether or not something is real he can start that thread. I'm working within werewolf lore for a reason. And if he starts that thread, then people start talking more about the lore, myths, or their own experiences then best believe I'll be there participating.
>>
As afr as i know silver was thought to be effective agains werewolves, and only in france. The eastern european myths about werewolwes were different (they were a, helpfuland combated witches or b, could be hunted with anything) Silver looks holy enough to be effective and is quute available to anyone , dont forget this is 17-18th century. Before that monsters could be hunted by heroes with simple or in special cases divine weapons. I attribute the idea of silver being effective agains all type of monsters to 19th century penny dreadfuls and old-school horror movies which influenced pop culture. So all in all if you want to hunt monsters just bring a shotgun or better yet just stay at home cause humans are the real monsters
>>
>>17655884
So silver is really more of a niche thing then, to France and horror movies? I could see that I guess, I was just thinking maybe there was a physical property to silver that made it effective. I definitely don't think this type of animal, if you will, could be hunted with just any common weaponry. I feel like a .357 MIGHT be somewhat effective at being a small threat but even some rifles I don't think would do too much. Maybe 1v1 in a good situation but not in its habitat nor if there was more than 1 and I would just assume there was to be on the safest side possible. I feel like maybe the hide and muscle combination would make it so you need a much better piercing or larger caliber weapon. Fire maybe though...
>>
File: 20z9u8x.jpg (14 KB, 464x450) Image search: [Google]
20z9u8x.jpg
14 KB, 464x450
Bumping with pics related, sort of
>>
File: Dogman-Barn.jpg (6 KB, 320x196) Image search: [Google]
Dogman-Barn.jpg
6 KB, 320x196
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63 KB, 454x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63 KB, 454x720
>>
File: SilverCreek_Wolfmen.jpg (397 KB, 1024x712) Image search: [Google]
SilverCreek_Wolfmen.jpg
397 KB, 1024x712
Well I guess thanks for the little bit of info...I'm surprised that the paranormal board doesn't have more to offer. I'll be posting a few more pic bumps hoping for more but if not, again thanks.
>>
File: dogman.jpg (30 KB, 424x457) Image search: [Google]
dogman.jpg
30 KB, 424x457
>>
File: az-wildlifecam1-1024x735.jpg (229 KB, 1024x735) Image search: [Google]
az-wildlifecam1-1024x735.jpg
229 KB, 1024x735
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 960x574) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 960x574
>>17655974
It's a slow board dude. One of the slowest.
>>
>>17655989
Oh ok. I don't ever come here. I'm used to faster boards, sorry. Don't want it to die yet.
>>
File: dog-man.jpg (30 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
dog-man.jpg
30 KB, 500x667
>>
There has been some evidence that shows that the 'Silver Weakness' is just a mistranslated of Quick Silver / Silvered Metal / Mercury.

Also there is evidence to suggest the actual Silver Bullet vs Monsters/Werewovles thing came from a story about The Beast of GĂ©vaudan in which someone blessed a silver bullet that then seriously hurt the Beast/Werewolf. More so implying it was the blessing of the item versus the actual material that harmed the creature.
>>
>>17655609

http://ddowiki.com/page/Monster_DR_and_weaknesses

>here you go
>>
>>17655989

its hardly one of the slowest. some threads can be as slow as other boards, but id say this ones in the middle really. it moves fast enough that if you got the right people you can have an ongoing discussion most of the time
>>
>>17655609
If you look at the principles behind most myths about what is effective against paranormal entities, they closely tie on to an ideal of something having a "purifying" property, or being tied to the divine. If we make the assumption that purifying metals, silver, copper etc, DO have an alternate effect on impure beasts, then I would say most likely the most grievous injuries could be inflicted by implanting as much surface area of the reactive substance. I'd imagine that if you pepper someone in poisoned buckshot it would be much more debilitating than a simple injection. This is all pure speculation on the simplistic idea, feel free to bounce in with your own opinions.
>>
>>17655609
Less.

Silver because the purity of the metal and association with the Moon through sympathos.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.