[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gaudiya Vaishnava General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 23
File: Radha_krsna.jpg (102 KB, 700x516) Image search: [Google]
Radha_krsna.jpg
102 KB, 700x516
Purebhakti.com

http://krishna.com/

http://www.vedabase.com/

Will be answering any questions you have regarding vaishnavism or general spirituality.
>>
Can you explain to me the "order" Hindu dieties?
Who is the "top god" and who are all the others?

I was raised christian, so my understanding of God has been Father, Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit.

Who exactly is Shiva. Who is Krishna. Who is the guy with the elephant head. Why do they have blue skin?
>>
>>17655108
bump for this
>>
>>17655108
From a Gaudiya perspective, Krsna is the original form of Godhead and fountainhead of existence.He has a dark, blackish blue complexion. Vishnu is his immediate or plenary expansion. Demigods such as Ganesh are empowered representatives that manage the universal creations. Shiva is a unique deity who is not quite completely spiritual nor quite material, being somewhere in the middle. The classic example is used of Krsna being likened milk whereas Shiva is likened to curd. Both are made from the same substance yet are still irrevocably different. He is considered to be the greatest devotee of Krsna.
>>
>>17655129
Should also mention that all the demigods are empowered by Krsna himself and are subservient to his will.
>>
>>17655137
Does the gods exist? Such as ganesha or kali or are they symbolism or parts of our mind?
>>
>>17655140
They are most definitely real beings.
>>
>>17655144
what about those stories of for example,places shiva visited in india?
>>
>>17655174
Some have claimed to have had his darshan in the Himalayan mountains to this day.
>>
>>17655183
could you elaborate? im very curious about this topic and rarely can ask about it,also thank you so much for reply
>>
>>17655007
So do Indian gods have a designated shitting heaven?
>>
>>17655198
I do not know too much about Shivas whereabouts but I have heard from a certain individual that their guru saw both Lord Shiva and Parashurama (an incarnation of Vishnu) while on pilgrimage to the Himalayas.

As it may also interest you Lord Shiva also incarnated as Shankaracharya a few hundred years ago to spread mayavadi philosophy.
>>
File: Bhairava5.gif (599 KB, 1150x832) Image search: [Google]
Bhairava5.gif
599 KB, 1150x832
>>17655108
>Aghora up in yo thread
>>
File: Lord Shiva and Mohini Devi.jpg (118 KB, 424x570) Image search: [Google]
Lord Shiva and Mohini Devi.jpg
118 KB, 424x570
>>17655201
I had heard a rumor of a conversation with Srila Prabhupada where he mentioned Earth during Kali Yuga is so degraded that the demigods won't even stop here to take a shit. Though I think he was being humorous.

Since the thread is orbiting Lord Shiva, I'll post a couple things from Stephen Knapp's website. There's some good mantras and other tidbits for devotion of Shiva, though understand it is a Vaishnava perspective.

I'll start with what I consider the pure standard for Vaishnava understanding and prayer to Lord Shiva: Chaitanya Mahaprabhu's eight prayers to Shiva he composed while taking darshan of His Deity.

website: http://www.stephen-knapp.com/108_names_of_lord_shiva.htm
>>
File: Lord Rama worships Lord Shiva.jpg (52 KB, 568x439) Image search: [Google]
Lord Rama worships Lord Shiva.jpg
52 KB, 568x439
>>17656505
From Murari Gupta's Sri Caitanya Carita Mahakavya

1) namo namaste tri-dasheshvaraya
bhutadi nathaya mridaya nityam
gagga-taraggotthita-bala-chandra-
chudaya gauri-nayanotsavaya

>"I repeatedly offer my obeisances unto you, the controller of the thirty primal demigods; unto you, the original father of all created beings; unto you, whose character is gracious; unto you, whose head is crested by the sickle moon arisen from the waves of the Ganga and unto you, who are a festival for the eyes of the fair goddess Gauri."

2) sutapta chamikara-chandra-nila-
padma-pravalambuda-kanti-vastraih
sa nritya-raggesta-vara-pradaya
kaivalya-nathaya vrisa-dhvajaya

>"I offer my obeisances unto you, who are dressed in garments resembling molten gold, the moon, blue lotuses, coral, and dark rain clouds; unto you, who bestow the most desirable boons on your devotees by means of your delightful dancing; unto you, who are the master of the impersonalists and unto you, whose flag bears the image of the bull."

3) sudhamzu-suryagni-vilochanena
tamo-bhide te jagatah shivaya
sahasra-shubhramshu-sahasra-rashmi-
sahasra-sajjit-tvara-tejase'stu

>"I offer my obeisances unto you, who dispells darkness with your three eyes - the moon, the sun and fire; unto you, who causes auspiciousness for all the living entities of the universe and unto you, whose potency easily defeats that of thousands of moons and suns."

4) nageza-ratnojjvala-vigrahaya
shardula-charmamzuka-divya-tejase
sahasra-patropari samsthitaya
varaggada-mukta-bhuja-dvayaya

>"I offer my obeisances unto you, whose form is brilliantly illuminated by the jewels of Ananta, the king of snakes; unto you, who are clothed by a tiger-skin and thus radiate divine effulgence; unto you, who sits upon a thousand-petalled lotus and unto you, whose two arms are adorned by lusterous bangles."
>>
File: tumblr_o61frqeNCn1uj2lxqo1_500.jpg (472 KB, 500x714) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o61frqeNCn1uj2lxqo1_500.jpg
472 KB, 500x714
Aum Shiva Shakti.
>>
File: OM VRISHABHARUDHAYA NAMAHA.jpg (61 KB, 352x476) Image search: [Google]
OM VRISHABHARUDHAYA NAMAHA.jpg
61 KB, 352x476
>>17656532
5) su-nupura-ragjita-pada-padma
ksarat-sudha-bhritya-sukha-pradaya
vichitra-ratnaugha-vibhusitaya
premanam evadya harau videhi

"I offer my obeisances unto you, who brings happiness to your servitors, as you pour on them the liquid nectar from your two reddish lotus feet, which ring with charming anklebells. Obeisances unto you, who is adorned with an abundance of gems - please endow me with pure love for Lord Hari."

6) sri rama govinda mukunda shaure
sri krishna narayana vasudeva
ity-adi namamririta-pana-matta-
bhriggadhi-payakhila-dukha-hantre

"O Shri Rama, O Govinda, O Mukunda, O Shauri, O Shri krsna, O Narayana, O Vaasudeva!' I offer my obeisances unto you, Lord Shiva, the monarch of intoxicated bee-like devotees, maddened by drinking the nectar of these and other holy names of the Lord. Obeisances unto you, the destroyer of all grief."

7) sri naradadyaih satatam sugopya-
jijjasita-yashu vara-pradaya
tebhyo harer bhakti-sukha-pradaya
shivaya sarva-gurave namo namaha

"I offer my respectful obeisances again and again unto you, who is forever enquired of confidentially by Shri Narada and other sages; unto you, who also grants favors to them very quickly; unto you, who bestows the happiness of Hari-bhakti; unto you, who creates auspiciousness and unto you, who is the guru of everyone."

8) sri gaura-netrosava-maggalaya
tat-prana-nathaya rasa-pradaya
sada samutkantha-govinda-lila-
gana-pravinaya namo'stu tubhyam

"I offer my obeisances unto you, who are a festival of auspiciousness for the eyes of Goddess Gauri; unto you, who is the monarch of her life-breath; unto you, who is capable of bestowing transcendental rasa and unto you, who is expert in forever singing songs of the pastimes of Lord Govinda with great longing."
>>
>>17656545
And wouldn't be complete without a kicker telling you how awesome it is to say this mantra.

9) etat shivasyastakam adbhutam mahat
shrinvan hari-prema labheta shighram
jjanam ca vijjanam apurva-vaibhavam
yo bhava-purnah paramam samadaram

>"A person, filled with loving feelings, who hears with rapt attention this wonderful eight-fold prayer to Lord Shiva, can quickly gain Sri Hari-prema as well as transcendental knowledge, the realization of that knowledge, and unprecedented powers."
>>
File: krishna-prasadam.jpg (82 KB, 453x368) Image search: [Google]
krishna-prasadam.jpg
82 KB, 453x368
Bump while I'm here eating.

śarīra abidyā-jāl, joḍendriya tāhe kāl,
jīve phele viṣaya-sāgore
tā'ra madhye jihwā ati, lobhamoy sudurmati,
tā'ke jetā kaṭhina saḿsāre

kṛṣṇa baro doyāmoy, koribāre jihwā jay,
swa-prasād-anna dilo bhāi
sei annāmṛta pāo, rādhā-kṛṣṇa-guṇa gāo,
preme ḍāko caitanya-nitāi

>O brothers! This material body is a network of ignorance, and the senses are one's deadly enemies, for they throw the soul into the ocean of material sense enjoyment. Among the senses, the tongue is the most voracious and verily wicked; it is very difficult to conquer the tongue in this world.

>O brothers! Lord Krsna is very merciful-just to control the tongue He has given us the remnants of His own food! Now please eat these nectarean grains while singing the glories of Their Lordships Sri Sri Radha and Krsna, and in love call out "Caitanya! Nitai!"

Purport and other prayers to prasadam here.

http://www.harekrsna.de/prasadam-prayer.htm

Such a simple and peaceful concept. That God in His mercy would imbue foodstuff with His own potency. No person will listen about tattva when their stomach is rumbling. What better missionary perspective than feeding people will help bring them to God? Though perhaps a bit polarizing as well.

>Bg 3.13 — The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins because they eat food which is offered first for sacrifice. Others, who prepare food for personal sense enjoyment, verily eat only sin.

Any opinions or perspectives on food in spirituality and religion?

[select all the food captcha]
>>
File: 1385847939023.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
1385847939023.gif
858 KB, 240x228
Why does Krishna look so effeminate? Is this why Indian men are so beta?
>>
>>17658416
In Initiation into Hermetics (an occult text) the concept of food being imbued by consciousness is also described.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 600x450
>>17658430
Krsna would have no problem stealing your bitch
>>
>>17658430
I would imagine because the classic stance of Krishna's form is a "three-fold" bending of the body. Accentuating the curve of the body is traditionally feminine in Western cultures.

He is also depicted as often having very soft features, and a gentle, mysterious smile.

>>17658448
Oh yes. And the Catholics have a similar idea in the wafer. A transubstantiation of matter into spirit, and the remnants of the savior.
>>
>>17658465
Krishna looks like a tranny.
>>
File: krishna14.jpg (42 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
krishna14.jpg
42 KB, 576x432
>>17658453
Indeed. And He steals a number of bitches in the 10th Canto of the Bhagavatam. You can also find depictions of a more masculine activity.

>>17658473
Bg 9.17 — I am the father of this universe, the mother, the support and the grandsire. I am the object of knowledge, the purifier and the syllable oṁ. I am also the Ṛg, the Sāma and the Yajur Vedas.

More like He is omni-gender/sexual.
>>
File: gopikas and krishna.jpg (294 KB, 1600x875) Image search: [Google]
gopikas and krishna.jpg
294 KB, 1600x875
>>17658453
Krishna was "loved" by men, but that love is more of a worship. The love depicted between the gopikas and Krishna is not to be interpreted as sexual, but rather a yearning for the soul to merge with the Ultimate. This is the highest form of bhakti you can say.
>>
>>17658498
Not quite. I was being facetious, but the gopis are in fact expansions of Krsna's internal potency and are certainly on the transcendental platform. The highest a jiva can attain is service to Radhika under the anugatya of Rupa Manjari.
>>
>>17655129
How does it change in a shaivist perspective?
>>
>>17659928
Shaivite philosophy is in general impersonalist, meaning the formless, effulgent Brahman is seen as Supreme. Any conception of form of a deity such as Krishna or even Shiva is understood to be a crutch; sort of an anchoring point for our anthropomorphic minds to adopt early on in the soul's journey. As such, all the devas are essentially the same and it doesn't matter if you worship one or several or none. The gods - just like you - are temporary manifestations of Brahman experiencing existence in novel ways.

For the personalist Shaivite, I would expect they sound similar but have Lord Shiva as the uncaused cause and Supreme Source. I other words, they would say Vishnu/Krishna came from and worships Shiva. There are certainly scriptures and passages one could use to support this claim.

However there are Shaivites on /x/, and I welcome them to come correct me.
>>
>>17659953
Thank you so much for your reply
>>
File: coyote1.jpg (13 KB, 160x142) Image search: [Google]
coyote1.jpg
13 KB, 160x142
>>17658473
He is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohini

>>17659953
What bhakta is saying, is that Shiva isn't a person place or thing, it's still nothing. Shiva is like sleep. Sleep without energy is death, and so he needs to be with Shakti, or Kali in order to perpetuate existence,

he's the dance of the atoms and stuff, and to a shaivite who is like a dog, they often only respect that which is seen and understandable.

For a shaivite to worship shiva is like a feral dog recieving a treat. That treat is more real than the imaginied idea of a treat.

A stray dog won't listen and sit for a treat unless it knows that doing that action will result in fruit.

A shiva worshipper sees shiva as a mascot for the divine. A foundation of the universe that ought to be revered as much as the things at the tip-top, because to a true shiva worshipper, he is like a dog, and he doesn't concern him/herself with the cosmic concepts because Shiva is a cosmic concept that is verifiable.
Shiva is sleep, shakti is like his beating heart, and whilst dreaming, the universe is infinite, and a dog doesn't know when he is dreaming, he just knows that he sometimes lays down, and that is.
>>
>>17660008
From the anthropological POV, the rivalry between Vaishnav/Shaivite, personalist/impersonalist, and (roughly) dvaita/advaita is older than Chrisitanity, though there has been relatively less blood over the divide than in the Abrahamic faiths. It likely wasn't developed during the Vedic period, as the culture was more segmented polytheism similar to Greek structure. There are passages in the four Vedas that touch on a hierarchy, but it is scarce and I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a passage for all the major devas to be called supreme at one point.

The so-called Puranic Age of 500BC-500AD is likely where the split cemented. This is when history says temple worship took precedence over fire sacrifices, and the stories about the devas (the Puranas, Mahabharata, and Ramayana) make an appearance. Stories make canon, and make structure. And I would imagine the spread of stories is what made for a conflict as to who exactly is "on top."

Generally people seemed to gravitate toward the Tri-Murti (Brahma/creation, Vishnu/maintenence, Shiva/destruction) - though there is very little worship of Brahma anymore, and a Puranic story explaining why, link later if I can find it. Add to that the dark horse Shakti sect reminding everyone that behind every Deva is a supporting Devi (and according to them, the true power).

>>17660023
If I understand you correctly, then I think I agree. The antagonistic tone is off-putting, though. I don't think it leads anywhere productive.

Though it is accurate. Vaishnava attitude toward Shaivism has a sense that Shaivites are self-interested. "I will worship God, but only until I become God. For that position is really mine." It is gossiped that "we are all god" holds the undertone of "but my awareness will be prime."
>>
File: brahma-temple-pushkar.jpg (69 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
brahma-temple-pushkar.jpg
69 KB, 800x531
>>17660061
ISKCON teaches that "we are all god willingly under illusion" - mayavadism - is the last, best snare of material existence. It is in Prabhupada's pranam (mantra of respect specific to the person):

namas te sarasvate deve gaura-vani-pracarine
nirvisesha-sunyavadi-pascatya-desa-tarine

>Our respectful obeisances are unto you, O spiritual master, servant of Sarasvati Gosvami. You are kindly preaching the message of Lord Caitanya and delivering the Western countries, which are filled with impersonalism and voidism

it is specifically mentioned in the nama apradha (offenses to the name, as given in the Padma Purana Brahma Khanda 25.15-18 & again in Harinam Cintamani):

2. Sivasya sri-visnor ya iha guna-manadi sakalam

Seen this parsed two ways. Prabhupada authorized this in the "pocket mantra guide" booklet:

>To consider the names of demigods like Lord Shiva or Lord Brahma to be equal to or independent of the name of the Lord Vishnu.

and Bhaktivinode Thakur wrote this in his fable Jaiva Dharma:

> In this material world, the holy name of Visnu is all-auspicious. Visnu's name, form, qualities, and pastimes are all transcendental, absolute knowledge. Therefore if one tries to separate the Absolute Personality of Godhead from His holy name or His transcendental form, qualities and pastimes, thinking them to be material, that is offensive. Similarly, to think the names of demigods such as Lord Siva to be as good as the name of Lord Visnu is also blasphemous.

Two concepts here, both clearly rejecting impersonalism.
>all the devas are not just as good as each other
>the person (along with name, form, qualities, activities) cannot be removed from the conception of the transcendent Supreme

BRAHMA LINK FOUND!!
https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090310214336AAWi8nj
Top answer collates and condenses all the legends as to why hardly anyone worships Brahma, and adds the few sites that do. Pic related.
>>
Hey, I just went to an ashram and had a meditation session with a few Hindus today.

I was just wondering if this would interfere with my own faith? Every time I ask this I get the same answer, but I'd like some outside opinion as to why it wouldn't contradict my own faith.
>>
File: visnu hitler.png (709 KB, 500x725) Image search: [Google]
visnu hitler.png
709 KB, 500x725
>>17660116
are you Aryan
>>
>>17655007
How do you reconcile horse sacrifice in the vedas with non violence?
>>
File: horse sacrifice mistranslation.png (428 KB, 623x1542) Image search: [Google]
horse sacrifice mistranslation.png
428 KB, 623x1542
>>17660175
>>
>>17660151
That would depend on what faith you currently hold, and what ashram you went to.

>>17660162
Yes and no? If you mean my ancestry I'm Norse/English/German so I could be considered Aryan in that sense.

If you mean in the Vedic sense (those properly following Vedic culture) then no. I may be trying to follow the directions of my guru but my life would in no way be considered in good standing with Vedic culture.

If you mean in the anthropological sense, as a synonym to Indo-European, then I don't think so. Those would be more akin to Greek, Persian, Slav races (Aryan Invasion theory) or the Harrapan and Dravidan races (Aryan Conversion theory).
>>
>>17660193
>I may be trying to follow the directions of my guru but my life would in no way be considered in good standing with Vedic culture.
why not?
>>
>>17660182
I'm not certain I can agree with this. To dismiss the descriptions in both the Ramayana and the Mahabharata as "later additions" in one sentence teeters on dishonest. And what of descriptions of meat-eating in the Upanishads?

>6.4.18 He who wishes that a son should be born to him who would be a reputed scholar, frequenting the assemblies and speaking delightful words, would study all the Vedas and attain a full term of life, should have rice cooked with the meat of a vigorous bull or one more advanced in years, and he and his wife should eat it with clarified butter. Then they would be able to produce such a son.
- Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 6.4.18

My understanding was of multiple explanations.

1) Such sacrifices are no longer permitted in Kali Yuga. Previously, through the power of the brahmin performer and grace of the deva being praised, the animal sacrificed would immediately obtain a human form of life - this was to benefit the soul in the animal body with instant elevation to humanity, and acted as a sort of success barometer for the sacrifice.

2) Ksatriyas are under different rules. Their protective need for violence gives them the allowance to hunt (deer hunting is often mentioned in the Puranas), eat meat, and perform such sacrifices.

3) Vedic religion is all about concessions. That just because non-violence is preferred does not mean that procedures for slaughter were not given. Kind of like a methadone clinic. If you're going to do the bad thing, at least do it in a (spiritually) safe and regulated way.
>>
File: the_aryan_race_by_slushba132.png (544 KB, 618x800) Image search: [Google]
the_aryan_race_by_slushba132.png
544 KB, 618x800
>>17660248
Bg 2.42-43
Bg 2.45
Bg 2.46
>>
>>17660061

>>17655140
>>17655174
Bhakta,what do you think about this?
>>
What do you think about hatha, raja, and kundalini yoga? How do you see Shiva, Parvati and Ganesha?
>>
>>17660209
You want me to confess my sins to you? How about I don't perform my full duty to my parents, don't offer the proper oblations to the devas, am not married but don't live with family or in an ashram...there's a lot of duty you are obligated to just for being born in Vedic culture.

Did you mean why don't I follow them? The simplest answer is the flesh is weak. But also because I don't agree with some of the worldiews, being raised in a more equalist environment.

I'm basing most of this off the Manusmriti, Manava-Dharmasastra, or "Laws of Manu," which reads a lot like Leviticus from the Bible. I found a relevant bit to both this and the meat-eating but it's long, I'll put it in another post.

>>17660266
I'm sorry, I'm not certain what you're getting at. Can you help me understand a bit more?
>>
>>17660294
smṛti is not śruti
>I'm sorry, I'm not certain what you're getting at. Can you help me understand a bit more?
bhakti is greater than simple religious rites, but to perform proper bhakti one has to understand the meaning of the veda. it is this overcoming of duality that leads one to mokṣa
>>
>>17660271
This gets into the lovely realm of cognitive dissonance. I accept that the gods exist, I accept that the Puranas are true. I could hand wave a bit about how they exist on a more subtle (astral) plane and while able to take physical form don't need to and how there are infinite universes all with cyclic history so the puranas may have happened millions of years ago or in a parallel universe and yadda yadda yadda.

But I also accept science and the scientific body of knowledge. That is what I was raised on, and the "mythology" is a later addition I reconcile with. I believe all things exist somewhere, somewhen, somehow - ghosts, vampires, unicorns, you name it. But I've never had a paranormal experience (barring subjective feelings of "divine presence") and am quite skeptical of any such claims. I believe UFOs (advanced races from the stars) are the demigods in the Puranas, but I've never seen or heard a UFO account I accept as real. I believe the gods are persons - souls like you and me - with great power bestowed to oversee their domain of the physical realm, and if I ever thought I was in their presence I would give great honor to them. Yet if anyone claimed to me they saw Ganesh, my mental "start position" would be they were mistaken or full of it.

>>17660289
I am unfamiliar with the specifics of each yoga system. My understanding was hatha yoga was a preliminary to astanga yoga; a physical regimen to help the body accept not moving for long periods while the actual process took place internally. These processes of yoga are transcendent - done properly they can liberate the soul from samsara. However they are considered to only bring a person to Paramatma realization - that all is one (Brahman) and that the One has a source. It is a difficult path, and does not lead to the loving exchanges sought after in Gaudiya Vaishnavism.

As for Shiva, Parvati, and Ganesha, I thought >>17655129 did a nice summary.
>>
>>17660337
Agreed. But now I'm not certain if you are talking about Dharmasastra or the Upanishad. Do you not consider the Upanishads sruti?

As for the Dharmasastra, it is a good compilation to get an idea of Vedic culture at the time. Easier than combing through the whole of the Vedas for each piece. Though I think even taking the proscriptions for humanity directly from sruti I doubt I would come off as a good citizen.

>bhakti is greater than simple religious rites, but to perform proper bhakti one has to understand the meaning of the veda.
Ahh, thank you. I agree, though I think our translations for those verses are different. I would love to see yours.

Oh, and the purport - for the meaning of the Vedas is Krishna. :)
>>
Was going to post this if there was a chance. From http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/manu/manu05.htm:

19. A twice-born man who knowingly eats mushrooms, a village-pig, garlic, a village-cock, onions, or leeks, will become an outcast.

20. He who unwittingly partakes of (any of) these six, shall perform a Samtapana (Krikkhra) or the lunar penance (Kandrayana) of ascetics; in case (he who has eaten) any other (kind of forbidden food) he shall fast for one day (and a night ).

21. Once a year a Brahmana must perform a Krikkhra penance, in order to atone for unintentionally eating (forbidden food) but for intentionally (eating forbidden food he must perform the penances prescribed) specially.

22. Beasts and birds recommended (for consumption) may be slain by Brahmanas for sacrifices, and in order to feed those whom they are bound to maintain; for Agastya did this of old.

23. For in ancient (times) the sacrificial cakes were (made of the flesh) of eatable beasts and birds at the sacrifices offered by Brahmanas and Kshatriyas.

24. All lawful hard or soft food may be eaten, though stale, (after having been) mixed with fatty (substances), and so may the remains of sacrificial viands.

25. But all preparations of barley and wheat, as well as preparations of milk, may be eaten by twice-born men without being mixed with fatty (substances), though they may have stood for a long time.

26. Thus has the food, allowed and forbidden to twice-born men, been fully described; I will now propound the rules for eating and avoiding meat.

27. One may eat meat when it has been sprinkled with water, while Mantras were recited, when Brahmanas desire (one's doing it), when one is engaged (in the performance of a rite) according to the law, and when one's life is in danger.

28. The Lord of creatures (Pragapati) created this whole (world to be) the sustenance of the vital spirit; both the immovable and the movable (creation is) the food of the vital spirit.
>>
29.What is absent of motion is the food of those endowed with locomotion; (animals) without fangs (are the food) of those with fangs, those without hands of those who possess hands, and the timid of the bold.

30.The eater who daily even devours those destined to be his food, commits no sin; for the creator himself created both the eaters and those who are to be eaten (for those special purposes).

31.The consumption of meat (is befitting) for sacrifices,' that is declared to be a rule made by the gods; but to persist (in using it) on other (occasions) is said to be a proceeding worthy of Rakshasas.

32.He who eats meat, when he honors the gods and manes, commits no sin, whether he has bought it, or himself has killed, or has received it as a present from others.

33.A twice-born man who knows the law, must not eat meat except in conformity with the law; for if he has eaten it unlawfully, he will, unable to save himself, be eaten after death by his (victims).

34.After death the guilt of one who slays deer for gain is not as (great) as that of him who eats meat for no (sacred) purpose.

35.But a man who, being duly engaged (to officiate or to dine at a sacred rite), refuses to eat meat, becomes after death an animal during twenty-one existences.

36.A Brahmana must never eat (the flesh of animals unhallowed by Mantras) but, obedient to the primeval law, he may eat it, consecrated with Vedic texts.

37.If he has a strong desire (for meat) he may make an animal of clarified butter or one of flour, (and eat that); but let him never seek to destroy an animal without a (lawful) reason.

38.As many hairs as the slain beast has, so often indeed will he who killed it without a (lawful) reason suffer a violent death in future births.

39.Svayambhu (the Self-existent) himself created animals for the sake of sacrifices; sacrifices (are instituted) for the good of this whole (world); hence the slaughtering for sacrifices is not slaughtering (in the ordinary sense of the word).
>>
>>17655007
What are some vision herbs used in your practice?
>>
File: SB10.20.11.jpg (57 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
SB10.20.11.jpg
57 KB, 600x450
>>17660375
any literature not directly concerned with the advancement of the understanding of ātmā i tend to ignore.
>translations
this is the thing...all translations are hampered by the translators. for instance, most translators translate this verse
>आसन्नुत्पथगामिन्यः क्षुद्रनद्योऽनुशुष्यतीः
>पुंसो यथास्वतन्त्रस्य देहद्रविण सम्पदः
>āsannutpathagāminyaḥ kṣudranadyonuśuṣyatīḥ
>puṁso yathāsvatantrasya dehadraviṇa sampadaḥ
as meaning white mushrooms cover the Earth...i beg to differ
>>
>>17660409
All Vedas are concerned with the advancement of the soul, but not all people are. So the Vedas utilize dovetailing. Like sex? Here's sex to advance you spiritually. Like dancing? Same thing. It's all meant to take the aspects of culture and spiral it into spiritual paths.

And yes - translations can be tricky. Context and speaker and poetic artistry can give the same word many many meanings.

For instance, if I may humbly critique, this chapter of the bhagavatam is a description of Vrindavan-dhama during the rainy season. There are messages, but they are covered in allegory. It makes little sense for the narrative to jump from describing the scenery to speaking on how mushrooms are a divine tool.

Second, the syllable count is wrong. The first and second stanza have been shrunk to one line (no problem) but the third and fourth have been separated at the wrong place. Srir is a descriptor of nrnam; "opulent men." The final stanza, then, becomes "like opulent men, the earth became."

In other words, the bright green grass, red insects, and shade-giving mushrooms are like the opulent dress of a rich man.
>>
If you will excuse, I'm going to immerse myself in Maya (woo! Civil War!).
>>
>>17660345
Thanks again for your reply,i have one last question
How do you choose a path to follow?either vaishnavism,shivaism or even personal or impersonal shivaism?i assume all paths lead to the same thing but what makes you choose one over another?
>>
>>17660973
All the Vedic literatures point to Krsna being supreme. The natural inclination of the soul is to serve Krsna, although some know it and some do not. All paths do not lead to the same end point, such as impersonalism which leads one to the Bramha Jyotir. We Gaudiya Vaishnavas are interested in personally serving Bhagavan in his transcendental abode. Certainly one might achieve some sukrti (pious merit) from worshiping Lord Shiva as he is the greatest Vaishnava.
>>
>>17660973
I'm back. Hope you're still around. Let me take the Vaishnava mantle off for a sec.

You don't follow a path. You follow a person. And not a person of history. There are two types of teaching, by vani (instruction) and by vapu (physical presence). The jagat-gurus (universal teachers) we associate with through their writings or what has been written of their teachings. This vani is considered the more important association.

But vapu is not to be neglected. It is rare for a person to spontaneously proceed properly. We need role models that are not stories. We need to see a living person and say "That person's life is the life I want to live. Please instruct me on how you achieved such a position."

Yet it is a paradox. It is said by the mercy of the guru one obtains the grace of Krishna, but it is only by the grace of Krishna that one can find a guru. And Krishna says in the Gita that He, in our hearts, will burn the darkness of ignorance away with the lamp of knowledge.

So here is my advice to you, in order of importance:

1) Associate as much as you can with spiritually minded persons. This means hang around such people, AND read the works/teachings of the great teachers. Association is key - it is both a mold and a protective cover for our awareness.

2) Use every bit of intelligence you have to choose a path you accept. Simultaneously, use every bit of faith and humility you have to ask however you currently see the Ultimate Truth to guide your decision. This is a tricky step, and requires a lot of introspection and doubting; the two answers may not align at first. It is an important, personal step that I feel should be made with some finality. Afterward you should try to make your faith strong and resolute.

3) Find a guru. I refer to the less formal instructing, or diksa guru. A mentor, if you will. Just as you trust the fitness instructor with a toned body, follow the people whose life shows the results you want in your life.
>>
>>17662685
And with all this, never stop sincerely searching. Lord Chaitanya - Krishna Himself - came to show us the mood of the perfect devotee. And His position was always "Where is Krishna? Where is Krishna?"

I know any sincere journey will eventually lead back to Godhead, and while I hope your path leads to bhakti in this life, I am not nearly evangelical enough to demand it.
>>
>>17661873
>>17662685
>>17662701

Thank you guys so much for your answers,specially Bhakta since i have been asking you more things.Despite i can surely understand many of this things if i read more about the topic,i had this questions htat needed to be answered by this way.I will keep doing my own research, wish the best for you (and sorry for my bad english btw)
>>
>>17660162
>lmao
>>
>>17663355
If you are serious about Bhakti Yoga definitely invest in a tulsi mala and japa bag. The Hare Krsna mahamantra is the backbone of KCON and devotional service.
>>
>>17658453
"Mah Krsna"
>>
File: 1457916626334.png (688 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
1457916626334.png
688 KB, 800x480
Krishna looks like a tranny. It's no wonder Indian men are so beta.
>>
File: Narasimha.jpg (609 KB, 810x608) Image search: [Google]
Narasimha.jpg
609 KB, 810x608
>>17664895
Whatever you say karmi
>>
>>17664895
Krishna means All-Attractive. Forgive me, but I am curious as to why when you look at the All-Attractive, you see a tranny.
>>
>>17664895
>>17664926
>>17666033
In Hinduism feminine looking men are considered third natured, the bringers of luck.
>>
>>17664926
beautiful manicure mr. lion, fabulous skin condition, so manly.

Holy fuck, shitskins and their gay religion. Do you gargle sperm every morning, just before going to designated shitting street, to keep yourself fresh and gay?
>>
File: putana when bae....jpg (136 KB, 500x424) Image search: [Google]
putana when bae....jpg
136 KB, 500x424
>>17666066
>beautiful manicure mr. lion

The beauty of the Absolute nature of Krishna, is His magnanimity could take even this mockery as praise. Just like when the witch Putana came to kill Krishna as an infant, and offered her breast to feed him with a secretly poisoned nipple. Krishna looked past assassination and accepted Putana as a mother, giving her liberation. Of course He sucked out her life force through her nipple to do this - Krishna liberates demons by killing them. Still, Putana achieved in that one moment of pure focus on Krishna - even in enmity - what a yogi could strive after for thousands of lifetimes by meditation and austerity.
>>
I have a piece of jewelry that I bought from someone online recently.
While meditating with my new jewelry, I kept seeing Kali the destroyer in my mind. It seemed like she has more of a purifying, release what no longer serves you, type of energy, and it's not an "evil" force.

I haven't really studied Hinduism, so can you tell me what you know about Kali?
>>
So Indians keep shitting on the streets. Is that gods doing?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.