[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Witch Craft 101
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 640x1043) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 640x1043
Let's get the witches of /x/ together!

For those of you just becoming interested in Witch Craft, let's start with some beginner tips!

10 Common Beginner Witchcraft Misconceptions

1. Don’t do anything that makes you uncomfortable or puts you or those around you in danger.
While you likely already know this, it’s easy to lose track of when starting a spiritual path. Be discerning of what you read or what you’re told to do. Don’t join a coven to learn if joining a coven or the coven’s practices make you uncomfortable. Don’t follow a spell that requires you to ingest herbs without first ensuring those herbs are not poisonous - even if you think you trust the source of the spell. Use common sense and scientific research to back all of your studies, and never let someone make you feel out of control or uneasy.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 500x280
2. Do not do anything that contradicts your own personal ethics.
Let me start by saying that Witchcraft itself has no inherent ethics. Magic is neither good nor bad, evil nor pure. There is no “white magic” or “black magic” unless you’re referring to color magic and color alone. In terms of good or bad, magic itself is neutral. The only restricting factors are the ones you give it, and these are called your ethics. Don’t let anyone tell you that you have to believe in the Threefold Law, which is Wiccan, or karma, which is stolen from Hinduism and Buddhism. You choose your own ethics. That being said, don’t let anyone talk you into cursing and hexing just because it’s the popular belief or because magic is a neutral area. This all goes back to the first rule: If you’re uncomfortable with it, don’t do it.

3. You will make mistakes. Always. Don’t fret over them.
Mistakes are part of the growing process. Try not to beat yourself up when a spell doesn’t work or backfires. It happens to the best of us - still. You are always going to be a student and always going to be learning. With learning comes successes, yes, but also mistakes. To this day, I make some amazingly simplistic errors from time to time. Some of them are advanced study related. Some of them are simple 101 safety basics, like putting water on an oil fire in the spur-of-the-moment panic (speaking from experience). Learn from your mistakes and forgive yourself. Learning to forgive yourself is going to go a long way in your journey as a witch.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 400x506) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 400x506
4. Don’t steal from closed cultures and religions.
New Age/Neo-Pagan/Neo-Wiccan/Witchcraft books are notorious for this. How often have you heard of the term “smudging?” Probably pretty often as you start your studies. I’m going to let you know up front that smudging is an intricate Native American ceremony that is closed to you, and that waving a bundle of sage in the air is not smudging. The same goes for a variety of terms and items, including dream catchers, spirit animals, Voodoo trappings, karma, chakras, Santeria, so on and so forth. Neo-paganism and modern witchcraft is notorious for picking up bits of closed cultures and religions that require birth or initiation. It is up to you to research and discern these off-limit elements from what’s acceptable.

5. You do not need a label or a path.
Just because your favorite author labels themselves as a hedge witch or an Alexandrian Wiccan witch doesn’t mean you have to decide on a name for your path right now, or really ever. Your religion, spirituality or practice should be uniquely you. It should aid your everyday life, meaning that your witchy practices should be in line with your interests, hobbies and routines. Worry more about choosing subjects that you enjoy within the realm of Witchcraft rather than trying to find a path first and studying the finite number of subjects within it. Especially as a beginner, you are going to evolve as you study, meaning those subjects you enjoy now may not be part of your craft later. Choosing a path now will make you feel constricted to having to study one line of items that may not fit your life now, or may not change with you later. Of course, if you want to take on a label to narrow your field of studies, you can. Just be open to changing it should you do so.
>>
File: image.jpg (733 KB, 3264x2136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
733 KB, 3264x2136
6. You do not have to worship a God and Goddess, or both, or a certain pantheon.
Your version of witchcraft does not have to be deity-centric up front or ever. If you haven’t had a calling to a deity, don’t worry about it. No need to incorporate something into your practice that you feel no connection with. And this goes with anything, from elements to spirits to the fae. If you don’t have a connection with it or don’t believe in it, don’t force it.

7. You do not need every tool out there to practice.
At some point, I invested in a bunch of tumbled gemstones and they mostly just sit in a little chest. Sure, I love them and they’re gorgeous and they occasionally get use, but I find that I tend to gravitate towards the same 10 or so stones. I didn’t need everything I bought for my day-to-day practice. With that in mind, please don’t run out and buy a bunch of supplies. You’d be surprised how much you have around your own home and your backyard that you can use for your craft. As you study, you may find you’re compelled to want a certain tool or two. If, after some study time, you find that your wine glass just doesn’t suffice as a chalice anymore and you need something more… magical, that’s okay. What’s harder than waiting to purchase a chalice is running out and buying a $100 chalice on your first day and finding out after a few years that you’re never going to need it.
>>
>>17609204
I swear, this thread is baiting so hard...
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 500x450
8. Do not believe everything you read or hear, even if you consider the source reliable.
I realize I say this as I’m writing a hopefully-reliable blog entry on this topic, but please, please, please study with a critical mind. Just because someone is older than you doesn’t mean they know more than you. Just because an author has been a reliable source in the past doesn’t mean they won’t make a mistake or draw from the wrong source for their own writings. You have to be highly discerning in your studies. Through studying regularly, you can develop and hone your ability to separate what is useful to you, what isn’t useful to you, and what is utter nonsense.
>>
>>17609221
Lol
> >>17609224
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 640x515) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 640x515
9. You do not need a magical or spiritual remedy for something that can be fixed by practical, real world application.
There’s a reason you can’t do a spell to turn a light switch off - it’s because you could just get up and do it yourself. The same goes for literally every other part of your life. However, this becomes especially important when looking at your health and medical needs. If you need to go to a doctor, go to a doctor; don’t do a spell to make you healthier. It’s not going to work unless you actually go to a doctor. Think of it like doing a spell to get a job. You’re not going to get a job unless you apply for one. Doing a spell and not putting any applications in means you’re not going to get a job. The spell isn’t going to work. The same goes for literally everything.
>>
>>17609221

Baiting for what...conversation???

Oh god forbid that happen on /x/
>>
>>17609215
>4: no cultural appropriation! Make sure you're always acting white enough!!
>5: no labels lol! Everything is whatever you want it to be! Be in control! (Unless you're white, then stay in your place and don't appropriate)
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 450x350
10. Your religion or practice should not overtake your life.
This one’s a tough one to both explain and understand. Many people desire something bigger than themselves. That’s why we’re here right? That’s what drew you to Witchcraft - the belief that there’s more to the world than what you can see. That being said, nothing in or outside of this world is more important than the life you are living right now. The direction you go with Witchcraft should help you with that life, not deviate you from it or create a fantasy world where you can hide from it. Think about certain elements of Witchcraft that you may or may not choose to incorporate as you study: Grounding and centering is used to cull chaos and anxiety so we can better focus. Most spells aid us with everyday things, like getting a job or raising money or protecting ourselves, our cars, our homes, etc. Divination looks towards the future so we can unburden ourselves and do a little planning. While parts of witchcraft can provide a nice distraction or break from the mundane, don’t spend all of your time so wrapped up in the magical that you begin to lose your friends, your job or your home. I’ve seen this happen and it shouldn’t be something to aspire to by any means. Just be careful.
>>
>>17609241

>wants negativity in the spells they cast
>loves to be confined to a specific box
>>
>>17609241
what do you expect from some tumblr teenager who thinks burning sage makes them a fucking witch
>>
>Rules to limit you

You have already failed.
>>
File: buckywitchcraft.jpg (29 KB, 373x499) Image search: [Google]
buckywitchcraft.jpg
29 KB, 373x499
Anyone got a link to this?
>>
>>17609204
Can I summon a familiar directly into my rectum?
>>
>>17609221
Just reading it is enough for me.
>>
>>17609955
inb4hamster
>>
>>17609215
>4. Don’t steal from closed cultures and religions.

>Being this new.
>>
>>17609299
>tumblr teenager

Blogger almost-30, but I guess they're a tumblr teen on the inside.
>>
>>17609236
confirmed 100% for baiting
>>
>>17609953
Its on amazon for 12 bucks
>>
>>17609215
>4. Don’t steal from closed cultures and religions.

stopped reading to puke.
>>
>>17610121
They're a hypocrite, too. Here, check out their guide to literally perpetrating violence against voodoo practitioners by stealing their traditional cleansing potions.

http://www.witchywords.com/2015/06/thewitcheryca-review-what-is-florida.html
>>
didn't think /x/ could get any gayer. You guys seem to prove me wrong each time i come here
>>
>>17610154
I actually picked up on that purely from their use of the word "voodoo". "Voodoo" is barely a thing that exists, its a term thats been coined by people outside the traditions involved, be they southern folk magic traditions, african diaspora faiths, south american or mexican folk magic etc.

Almost no one who actually practices any of these beliefs uses the term "voodoo". Hoodoo gets used frequently but the terminology is complicated and depends on who you ask. The other "voodoo" faiths this person is referring to have their own names for their practice, and its almost never "voodoo".

Your point is still 100% valid since this is "appropriating" a southern conjure tradition heavily rooted in non-white culture.

The entire concept of "appropriation" as it relates to synchretic religion is the acme of ignorance though as it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of both the word appropriation, and the religion and culture they think they're defending.

What the post is saying to me is: "I am ignorant of the things I am discussing and I recommend you stay ignorant just like me". Fucking gross.
>>
>>17609215
>4. Don’t steal from closed cultures and religions because you can be called out as an ignorant fuckwit who's just making things up. Much better you stick to the completely imaginary so that nobody can tell you you're wrong.
>>
>>17610198
also just to add to the stupidity, its not called "florida water" because its from the "fountain of youth in florida" holy shit. Talkl about appropriation, she doesnt even know the origins of the shit shes claiming to use and understand.

I guess I cant expect much from someone who buys their "witch supplies" in a fucking salon hairspray bottle.
>>
>>17610204
bump for great justice
>>
>>17610198
Fucking PC culture has nothing to do with magic "appropriating" ones culture is bullshit any race can practice any religion or faith they please, and using aspects from other forms of magic or religious beliefs isn't "appropriating" the culture anyone who is worried about that is fucking retarded.
>>
>>17610154
>http://www.witchywords.com/2015/06/thewitcheryca-review-what-is-florida.html
Fucking after shave becomes magic if you put a glass bead in it. Holy dogcrap.

I've got a bottle of Tom Ford EDP - if I decant some of that to a plastic bottle with three glass beads I will surely gain the ability to fly.
>>
>>17610254
That was exactly my point. I was just illustrating how extra strength stupid it is since she's effectively practicing the very thing shes preaching against by being completely oblivious to the cultures she's borrowing from or utilizing in her practice, as evidenced by the florida water article.

>>17610261
technically its "magic" even without the glass bead. They put the evil eye bead in there to make it more enticing to buy.

99% of the magic in substances like this is in the personal preparation.
>>
ITT: Literally people arguing about how to witch craft correctly
>>
>>17610295
ITT: people who didn't read the thread to realize no one is arguing.
>>
>>17610331
topkek
>>
>>17610331
>literally post above comment is of someone proving a point
>No one is arguing hurr durr!
>>
>>17610291
technically it's alcohol with some essential oils dissolved in it.
>>
>>17610331
>this butthurt to defend witch craft thread instead of conjuring a spell to curse anon

its like you guys just want everyone to see how retarded you guys are
>>
1. Rule one: roleplay
2. Rule two: repeat rule one
>>
very interesting read OP, thanks
>>
>>17610351
3. Rule three: expect the mentally ill to join in without reading the rules.
>>
Just a general question but are there any pagans from the WV here? I remember I went to a thing called mountain mayfest a bit when I was younger, but I can't remember anything about it other then its name. I know it was at a mansion/very lard house on a huge plot of land, but that's about it. Any info would be helpful. BTW, it's where a bunch of pagans would meet up.
>>
>>17610291
I'm glad we have this thread. It's annoying to have to talk around the HURR MAGIC DON'T REAL shitposters, but I've wanted to complain about appropriation-criers for a while.

Spirits and gods sometimes give a shit about race, but usually they don't. They're operating on a level where it's at-fucking-will. The appropriation bullshit is virtue-signaling for the sake of HUMANS, and that calls into question the witch's devotion to their faith. What matters more: the force that called you to worship, or some fucking turd who isn't even from the religion they claim is offended?
>>
>>17610344
That post was me agreeing with the people I was replying to. The only person I'm disagreeing with is you, and only because you failed to read the thread. If you think talking and agreeing is arguing, I think you might be misunderstanding the word "argue".

>>17610347
well yeah fair enough, there's nothing inherently more magical about florida water than your cologne and they could be use ritually in exactly the same way. I was only trying to say that adding the glass beads to it is a stupid marketing gimmick to make it "more magical" and distract from the fact that its basically just aftershave like you said.
>>
>>17610370
>still needs to defend witch craft bullshit instead of just cursing anon away

lol, thanks for the laughs
>>
>>17610367
I agree that its completely out of hand.

As someone who's practice is heavily influenced by a culture that is not my race, I think it's a stupid cop out to be "understanding" without actually giving a shit about the people youre supposedly trying not to offend.

For me it's like this, if you know what florida water is, its roots and its background, and what it is used for traditionally (altar dressings, offerings, floor washes, candle dressings) and you know how to make it, and do.. you're not appropriating, you're just making and using fucking florida water.

In fact, the declaring of a specific practice, substance, or belief "off limits" to any but a select few, is essentially the exact definition of appropriation, so its not just stupid, its ironic.
>>
>>17610379
>needs to defend...
I don't need to defend anything from someone who cant even spell 'witchcraft' properly. Thanks for participating though.
>>
Hello. I'm Talisin...I have a question I've been trying to answer. I've been trying to find a good source or foundation of wit hcraft that is purely magick...not god based or deity based. Any help forward would be greatly appreciated brothers and sisters. Talisin.
>>
>>17612557
You make Youtube videos bro?
>>
magic is real
>>
>>17610008
KEK
>>
>>17609204
You know, appropriation nonsense aside, this is a list of negatives. There's some useful information, but it isn't well presented.

Shall we see what we can do to make it usable, /x/philes?

#1 can be boiled down (and spruced up) as following:

>1. Stay Safe.
> Be conscious of your intent, surroundings, and the people you learn with. Do your 'homework' on the tools you use.

I appreciate the notion of scientific study applied to magic. We know that it works; the next step is how.
>>
File: 1447732919732.gif (4 MB, 400x253) Image search: [Google]
1447732919732.gif
4 MB, 400x253
>>17609204
>witchcraft
>2016
>>
>>17609211
>>17614208

>2. Be Mindful
> Develop your personal ethics and adhere to them.

We can add another regarding the nature of magic. It has about the same weight of good/evil as does gravity.
>>
>>17609211
>>17614231

#3 is pretty solid.

>3. Mistakes Are How You Learn
> Nuff said.
>>
>>17614231
>>17614253
>4. Samefag to keep shitty thread alive
> No one gives a shit about this but lets pretend the people do
>>
>>17610394
Thank gods & goddesses I read this thread after the "blog entry" was posted. I seriously doubted myself & thought I'd been doing something horribly wrong for years & years by "appropriating" different "closed to me" cultures.
>Sometimes having an open mind sucks
>>
>>17609215
>>17614253

>4. Steal Fucking Everything
> If it works, crib it. Be well informed and represent the concept/practice/etc. with respect and care.
>>
>>17614256
I'm with you, anon. I think this thread is great, even if the original post was a little off. At least it's stimulating some discussion
>>
>>17609953
it has 200 pages full of dick butt
>>
>>17609215
>>17614263

>5. Be You
> Words have power - psychologically as well as magically. Define yourself and give yourself a name to work with if it gives you strength.
>>
File: 1445185415006.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
1445185415006.gif
3 MB, 286x258
>>17614267
you showed him
>>
>>17609219
>>17614271

>6. Choose your own path.
> Deities. To each their own.

Choose your own adventure? >_>
>>
>>17609219
>>17614288

>7. The Teddy Principle.
> "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
>>
>>17609224
>>17614293

>8. Do Your Research.
> As per my first post, however, approach it scientifically. Build a hypothesis and test accordingly.
>>
>>17609234
>>17614302

>9. Act.
> Magic is part of the equation, not a substitute for living.
>>
>>17609245
>>17614315

>10. Seek Balance
> Make your practice a part of your daily life. Make living a part of your daily life.

Have fun, folks. /x/, its your turn.

And I realize I went for a negative in #9. Ehh... I'll see you folks later - gotta take my own advice and act. Wish me luck on my interview today!
>>
I really and truly think that OP is giving some pretty useful advises (but maybe not well-presented I guess). This is actually all the things someone seeking into the craft should know.
The most important thing is "to do you". You don't have to adhere to a specific cult.
I've been practicing for almost 20 years now, and my practices are not what I used to do then. I took a little from here and there to somewhat appropriate rituals and make them mine.
The most important thing is the will you put in it, it's more important than how you do it. I am now comfortable enough to do my own rituals and it is I believe what every "witch" should do at a certain point.
I had the chance to get great advises as I made my way into witchcraft, and I've always been told to do what I believe is right. magic is not white, nor white. It is what you do with it. For instance I've once used Goetia to ask for help for a relative, because it was how I felt it would work the best.
But always remember to start things slow, since practicing the craft requires a lot of energy. You can't handle everything at a starting point. But with time and practice, it will work.

Sorry for the long talk and bad english.
>>
>>17614994
^
|
>>
Haha are you fucking kidding me? By your standards, taking a shit could be considered witchcraft, haha fuckin stupid ass women am right? That's why it's always dumb broads falling for this cult shit
>>
Bet you dumb bitches wouldn't be saying shit like this if you lived during the fuckin Salem witch trials, people got burnt alive back then haha yall think you live in a fuckin fantasy world
>>
>>17610008
^____^
>>
>>17612557

There is no such thing. You don't create powers or own powers, they're loaned to you by a deity. The only way to have powers yourself is to be a deity.
>>
>>17614332

Spectacular paraphrasing, you're a word wizard. I hope the interview went well for you anon.
>>
>>17610172
This.
>>
book of knowledge is all you will ever need fringechan.org
>>
>>17609204
Piss off Pussyfart, you and your mallcore Wicca patrol give actual Witches a bad name.
>>
>>17609204
>>17609211
>>17609215
>>17609219
>>17609224
>>17609234
>>17609245
Please enjoy this tl;dr version:
1. Don't get raepd
2. Don't be a cunt
3. Get over urself
4. PC elitism is cool
5. 2cool4lablez
6. Just, liek, idk be urself man.
7. Poorfags welcome
8. It's basically all fake anyway
9. See #8
10. Lol RP harder.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.