[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a thread for unsolved mysteries of the world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
File: voynitch35.jpg (224 KB, 1129x1536) Image search: [Google]
voynitch35.jpg
224 KB, 1129x1536
Let's have a thread for unsolved mysteries of the world

Post them here, share your thoughts, etc etc

>Voynich manuscript
A handwritten book found in 1912, dated to the 1400s which depicts several completely unidentified plants in a language that is also completely unidentified
People say due to the effort put into it, it is unlikely to be a hoax

In my opinion it may be written in some language that died out before it was even recorded, or maybe it was meant to be a secret code

All pages of the book can be seen here
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/esp_ciencia_manuscrito07a.htm
>>
File: voynich_manuscript.png (88 KB, 740x483) Image search: [Google]
voynich_manuscript.png
88 KB, 740x483
>>17605826
I will keep posting this until you learn.
>>
>>17605860
It's possible, but writing it in a different language in that time would make less sense than now, seeing as it would be a lot harder to learn a new language back then
So if it is just a game, it would be for some higher-class people
>>
>>17605826

this is awesome, i really want to know what's written on this book
>>
>>17605826
The book it is as yet undeciphered. Some theories say even the depictions of the plants are "metaphorical" or "symbolic" of the actual plants they are supposed to represent, done so to keep secret the actual formula or recipes.
As for the text, it is still unclear whether it was just a made up language or some actual forgotten language, or whether it was a form of cipher encoded from a known language.
One thing the expert analysis concluded is that yes the book is very old, older than first estimated. and that the paper, the binding and the ink is all authentic for the great age of the book. Also that the materials would have been extremely rare and expensive to acquire at the time.
>>
>>17606033
>metaphorical
Yes, could also be that the illustrator just drew them off of how he had heard the plants described, or how he imagined they might look
>>
>>17606033
>>17606062

can't it be from another planet? i mean, an unknown langage and unknown plants and stuf..
>>
>>17606062
interesting notion. it's not unreasonable to consider that possibility. But what circumstances would entail such an arrangement?
It just seems to me that the book to be of such volume and detail with so many plants being intricately depicted as to be a major focus of the work, that the author would have had direct physical access to the plants in their natural growing state.
>>
>>17606073
Suppose it could be possible. However fantastic and unlikely the idea may sound. This was thousands of years ago with no direct record of all the histories before, or since, so we cannot know for sure.
>>
>>17606073
Also the fact that in the amazon supposedly they are destroying with deforestation more unknown species every day. Could be those plants were actual living plants in a part of the world like the deep amazon that we have no catalogue of
>>
>>17606073
It can't be, but it could be a dictation-book. Think of some random farmer rural Northern Italy who was contacted told/ordered to start writing.
>>
>>17606144
>It can't be,
but we can't know for sure
>>
>>17606144
>some random farmer rural Northern Italy who was contacted told/ordered to start writing.
the analysis indicated the materials (paper , ink, etc.) would have been somewhat rare and extremely expensive. Doubtful it was just given to some random dirt farmer to take "dictation"

More plausibly would have been the work of someone extremely rich and well connected. like a member of royalty or a wealthy merchant
>>
>>17606146
That is indeed true.
>>
Where are all the unsolved mysteries at?
>>
File: tunguska event.jpg (214 KB, 1454x962) Image search: [Google]
tunguska event.jpg
214 KB, 1454x962
Tunkuska Event
in 1908 there was some sort of event caused a big explosion in Tunguska, Russia
it was so big that the lights in the sky could be seen in china too
It also left radiation in the area and flared down many trees, even if it didn't quite burn them

Most think it was a meteor, but that hasn't been proven
>>
>>17605826
It's an incredibly well done hoax for money. It worked.
>>
>>17606226
>It's an incredibly well done hoax
thats one theory
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 1200x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 1200x479
>>17606226
>Hoax

There are several people who know what it means, your statement is invalid.
>>
>>17606253
Yeah, never said it wall the theories.

But really it's the best explanation. It's clearly involves a lot of earth shit so it's not alien, and it fits generally within the realm of a lot of books that were available at the time. The next best theory would be that it was someone who wasn't "classically" education and just came up with his own language, but that would not only be extraordinary, it would be strange that there are no other versions of that language anywhere. Most books were made by a very small group of people, it would exist elsewhere.

Someone in some documentary did a demonstration of how to get repeated patterns that can mimic a language like that but are ultimately revealed to be meaningless patterns, which is a lot like the manuscript. If anyone has any idea of what that documentary was please pass it along, I don't have it.

Anyway, the hoax thing is the most reasonable as it would be relatively easy to produce and extremely valuable. Bingo, fake book with neat writing and it's something that been valuable for a long time, so hoax well done. It would also explain why we haven't seen more from it (since all the "language" would be random) and there is the likely possibility of something shady like that being shut down or gotten rid of before more could circulate, especially if it came from a monastery, which is where many books came from.
>>
>>17606275
*all
>>
>>17606156
Perhaps a king's oracle or fortuneteller or something? Did they have those ?
>>
>>17605860
kek
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 400x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 400x360
>>17606275
It isn't a hoax, they ones who cry hoax are infact the hoaxers.
You can prove this phenomena to yourself by watching the 'comedy/family prank' videos on YouTube, refer to the comment section to see the absurd conclusions the majority of the viewers come to.

As for the contents of the book; they reveal themselves to those who worked towards understanding, it is not a work of falsehood, for the pictures scream forth their truths to the initiated.

Do not trust your gurus, whether they be scientists or so called 'experts'.
>>
>>17606260
Prove it.
>>
File: shoes729-420x0.jpg (57 KB, 420x288) Image search: [Google]
shoes729-420x0.jpg
57 KB, 420x288
By the shore of the Salish Sea between British Colombia and Washington there's been several findings of detached feet in sneakers since 2007
Nobody has managed to connect any of the feet to any people, dead or alive, and there have been no other bodyparts than feet
>>
File: ahoy.jpg (194 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
ahoy.jpg
194 KB, 760x596
>>17606322
They finally got the bastard...
>>
File: detached+feet.jpg (41 KB, 720x401) Image search: [Google]
detached+feet.jpg
41 KB, 720x401
>>17606322
>findings of detached feet
>Nobody has managed to connect any of the feet to any people

Well, yeah.
>>
>>17606146
>>17606157
We also can't know that there isn't actually a book. It's not worth wondering.
>>
>>17606223
It can't be proven, but we are pretty damn sure.
>>
>>17605826
wow bringing back /x/ 2011 memories, does anyone remember the dude who claimed he was from an alternate timeline posting here? he wrote out an alphabet of his language and it was disturbingly close to the voynich stuff

could be 100% bullshit but he backed it up pretty well
>>
>>17606314
So it's a spellbook? Fuck off RPer
>>
This photo was taken in Kongka la pass in Himalaya, by the border between China and India

Around that area there's a restricted area, which both governments refuse to comment on, but a google maps satellite has proven that there is some sort of base/facility in the area
>>
>>17605826

>illiterate person who has seen manuscripts many times before, perhaps a worker in a monastery, somehow gets their hands on the materials necessary to write and attempts to mimick what he's seen, drawing a flower from imagination and 'writing' what he imagines text to look like

A good guess?
>>
>>17606322
totally yakuza thing
>>
>>17605826
It might be about life on other plants and left by an alien.
>>
>>17605826
>Voynich manuscript

http://www.livescience.com/43542-voynich-manuscript-10-words-cracked.html

some news
>>
>>17607277
This is a ridiculous and unlikely idea. the book was written almost perfectly as in no mistakes, no words crossed out and corrected or re-written, it had to have been the work an expert scribe, artist, doctor or scientist.
The person would have had to have had an honest dedication, understanding and belief in what he was producing .
>>
>>17605860
reddit tier shit my friend
>>
>>17605826
What if it speaks of crossbreeding plants??
What if these plants are never "seen" before is just because they dont naturally grow?
>gibberish got me though I have no fucking clue on it
>>
>>17608808
Also plants name seems to look like Horar its said several times even in the description right next to the plant
>>
>>17605826
It wasn't uncommon for monks to just write silly books with made-up languages and weird illustrations. How come this isn't just one of those?
>>
>>17608754
>hurr durr everything I don't like is reddit!!1
>doesn't even know what XKCD is

GTFO
>>
>>17609083
>hurt durr
>xkcd
>GTFO
I think 9gag is more to your liking
>>
>>17605826
Obviously orientalish
>>
>>17609109
Looks more Arabic to me than an Asian language.
>>
I've got a mystery, but the guy that came up with it sort of coneys it a little silly
Just ignore the assumptions he makes about aliens, and watch this video, it's a bit interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9faGKdz5iSA

Now that you've seen it here's my view
It's not aliens, it's just some secondary equator, that the ancient people somehow understood probably through math
And which is the reason why people gathered in those areas so long ago

To those that doubt, please consider that these spots were all places of major importance to those that knew about it
>>
>>17605860
fag
>>
spoiler***
It's medicinal plants from other planets.
>>
>>17609981
I am a man, a servant of God, away with ye demons.
>>
>>17606322
>Nobody has managed to connect any of the feet to any people, dead or alive
They have identified the owners of about 1/3rd of the feet, but the reasons the feet are there is still largely unknown.
>>
File: tumblr_o20sivHBdC1tde5j6o1_500.gif (986 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o20sivHBdC1tde5j6o1_500.gif
986 KB, 500x278
>>17605826
"I kept a journal to note the discoveries during my journey."
>>
>>17609981
Jokes on you, I don't own any pots or pans.
>>
>>17605826
>Voynich manuscript

At this point I think it is safe to say that the manuscripts are indeed a hoax. There is no code to be deciphered here, just random characters written by someone to mimic a proper written language and fantastical drawings of imaginary plants. A well done hoax that was part of a greater long con.
>>
>>17610053
>the reasons the feet are there is still largely unknown.
I thought the explanation was that it was people who just died in bodies of water. All the feet had shoes on which would float and carry water and detach the foot from the body and then float away somewhere else.
>>
It's prob just some secret alphabet someone made up but is still spoken like whatever language of the day. Used to do that tons
>>
probably made by some hermits
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.