[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does authentic Voodoo exist in modern New Orleans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: MarieLaveau_(Frank_Schneider).png (192 KB, 350x466) Image search: [Google]
MarieLaveau_(Frank_Schneider).png
192 KB, 350x466
Does authentic Voodoo exist in modern New Orleans?
>>
RED BAR RADIO .net
>>
>>17586187
Anyone else feel drawn to her eyes?
>>
>>17586187
Not since the hurricane, no.
>>
File: shlummie.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
shlummie.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>17586458
>>
File: catlady.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
catlady.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
[spoiler] yes [/spoiler]
>>
I would say over all, no it's not widely practiced here any more. Just fucking tarot card/palm readers every where. But I will say there is a weird darkness to the city, even on the sunniest, hottest days
>>
>>17588997

And some one painted all over Marie Lavaeu's grave
>>
>>17588997
2spooky4me
>>
>>17588997
Not from around there, is there anything that sets it apart from other 'haunted cities', aside from the whole voodoo thing?
>>
>>17589012
>Marie Lavaeu's grave
>>
File: box.jpg (22 KB, 575x316) Image search: [Google]
box.jpg
22 KB, 575x316
>>17589180
I bet in a few years some paranormal team is going to get authorization to open it and it'll just be some bones and cobwebs and everyone will be disappointed.
>>
>>17589172

No. There are a lot of drugs and violence, which i would drfinitely gives it a sense of danger. At one point in the 90's everyone thought they were vampires. These people chilled up in trees and had some weird fucking parties. People are also drunk here 24/7, which i feel makes you vulnerable to spirits and other spooky shit. The axe man of new orleans is a pretty famous serial killer. So was the slave owning lady who bathed in her slaves blood. On top of countless gruesome murders. Oh yeah, kids get shot quite a bit down here too. Just a weird vibe. Hard to explain
>>
>>17589180

Its an above ground tomb. You cant bury bodies here because of the amount of water in the ground. And yes, her tomb was painted over by some random people. It ultimately damaged it and is falling apart, unless the city fixed it. Bad juju in my opinion
>>
>>17586187
The only spooky thing left there is ghost and violent hood rats
>>
>>17590377
voodoo dubs of truth
>>
>>17590377
I can explain it

>Niggers
>>
>>17590511

Yeah dude. Im not a hateful, racist person by any means. But Ive been the victim of random, violent crime. It's certainly changed my perspective on things. Owning a gun being one of them
>>
>>17588997
It always struck me as an area that had no place having a city built on it, like the town was cursed from the start.
>>
>>17590377
What I wouldn't give to have been a vampire wannabe goth in the 90's. Was just in NOLA for a 2spoopy goth gathering and it was hokey as fuck.
>>
From Louisiana and only thing spoopy about new orleans is being shot, mugged, or pickpocketted
Pic related
>>
>>17591860
I've been pretty lucky in that regard
>>
>>17586187
I've studied Voodoo (Vodun, Vodoun, whatever) and it's not as spooky as one would think.

God is a distant entity, who doesn't want to bother with our lives (maybe he went away to create new worlds, who knows?), so he left here his angles / spirits, called the lwa.

Originally these lwa were African spirits, but when black people became slaves in Haiti and in the US, they pretended that they are actually Catholic Saints.
So when their masters checked what the hell they're doing, all they found was altars with Holy Maries and Saints.

So what makes Voodoo special?
The priests (houngans and mambos) ar not just praying, but invoking these lwas into themselves - with dances, trance, etc.
Every lwa has different characteristics, so you can tell which one possessed the priest by his / her behaviour.
>>
>>17592999
cont.

If you born into a Voodoo family, you're going to have fun.
It's part of your tradition, your history.

But if you're an outsider, you'll feel it's not your "thing".
The spirits have African (or mixed French) names - also they are many, many lwas -, the altars are weird, because Voodoo and Catholic images are now permanently mixed, etc

... And, as I said, it's not really spooky.
American movies made Voodoo (in)famous. They showed you a false image about zombies, hags with curses, etc.

The only spooky things about Voodoo:
- the possessions (but Voodoo folk like this, they have a great time at meetings)
- some symbols are weird for an outsider: skulls, snakes, etc

But if you study Voodoo, even for a bit, you'll see it's just one of the many traditions and religions.
Sure it's fun.
But no, it's not black magic, and it's not like a witches' Sabbat, or something like that.
>>
>>17592999
>>17593006

Forgot to tell: it's just my personal opinion, nothing more.

Also: poppets are relatively new in Voodoo and they usually use them as healing, not cursing tools.

About zombies: they say it's a Haitian thing, and it's about poisoning someone, so you can brainwash them.
It's not a curse to raise the dead, sorry.

Voodoo is all about traditions.
I think it can be really awesome to practice it in a community.
... but alone? I don't know.

I read about guys (on magic related forums) who practice Voodoo, and while they got initiated into proper traditions, they can't even get possessed by the lwa.
Yeah they have dreams and hallucinations, but just check some Youtube videos about the real possessions - now they are the cool stuff.
Maybe Voodoo is really a family tradition...

Oh, another important thing: Haitian and New Orleans Voodoo are not the same.
The one from Haiti is more "original", and the one from New Orleans is more popular.
Practitioners from Haiti venerate the less-Catholic version of the lwa, while New Orleans Voodoo is now fully mixed.

Anyway: I hope I could help you guys.
>>
>>17593006
>>17593026
Thank you for your help and insight.
>>
>>17593026
>I read about guys (on magic related forums) who practice Voodoo, and while they got initiated into proper traditions, they can't even get possessed by the lwa.

I think the secret is not bloodlines or where you're from, but being chosesn. The lwa have minds of their own. They can pick who they want to help and how they want to help. If they want you, they'll dig in deeper than if you walked up and just decided to learn their ways. This is why random people don't get ridden even if they were inducted or know the traditions. They weren't picked for that.
>>
>>17590511
>these dubs don't lie
>>
>>17591515

Good way to get aids or hep c. Just sayin
>>
>>17591860

Pretty standard if your just walking home from work at night
>>
>>17586414
Those breasts are more my eye's style.
>>
>>17593097
That bad, huh
>>
>>17591503
It's built on top of a swamp, below sea level. So you're right about that.
>>
>>17594064
Not just that, but just the feeling that something doesn't want people there.
>>
>>17593898

Its pretty bad in the quarter at night. By yourself after midnight is a horrible idea. People will rob you. Possibbly kill you, for damn near nothing. White or black.
>>
>>17594093

Probably just the ghosts of slaves and pirates, juking and jiving. But for serious. Its an old city. Lots of people have died here. And there is a good bit of gothic architecture. Halloween is drun-, I mean fun
>>
>>17586187
Are there people who practice and beleive in voodoo? Yes.

But I think what you're actually asking is do these people have authentic supernatural powers. That is a big no.
>>
>>17594093
Like the ocean?
>>
>from louisiana
>do the new Orleans voodoo tour
>goto voodoo temple and meet voodoo high priestess or some shit
>she's a total autist schyzo who babbles on for an hour about totally random shit

Seriously, it's like she just threw random words together without any thought. The group just a collective "what the fuck...that was a waste of money and time" look on our face when it was finally over.

Voodoo in its current form in NO is a fucking scam.
>>
>>17594410
We've already established that
>>
>>17595161
>what did he mean by this?
>>
>>17595169
Not gonna lie, I kek'd
>>
>>17595161
>>17595169
>>17595175
Is /b/ raiding again?
>>
>>17595175
>>17595169
>>17595161
lol these are funny, but idk wy they're being posted.
>>
>>17591860
A spoop is the least of your worries, although I seen the ghost of a woman dressed in 1800's funeral garb enter my hotel once. Scary as fuck. I just pretended to sleep. She laid some shit on my nightstand then just disappeared.
>>
>>17595306

What hotel?
>>
>>17597355
>>17589172
(idk what year) but at one point yellow fever killed nearly everyone in the city and they just kinda buried them everywhere.

Another pretty cool thing to look into is the casket girls. Basically for a while NO was France's Australia and they'd just ship deadbeats and criminals over. Eventually the gender ratio was 5:1 so they told France they needed more women. France sent 300 women on a boat but when they got to port all of their "belongings" were in coffins. They all went straight to the church so the nuns could teach them how to be proper women folk or whatever. Around that time, though, people started disappearing. Rumors went around that they were French vampires. Hysteria spiraled some, the priests nailed the attic windows closed and blessed them but there was never really solid inquiry into what happened to this day. The only modern info was when a team of 5 paranormal researchers went to the church to figure out what happened. The church was uncooperative (of course) do 2 researchers set up cameras across the street to check out the attic windows these "vampires" used to travel in and out of the building at night. When they were found in the morning all the recording equipment was destroyed and the two women were found dead on the churches step. Sounds like normal NO crime but official autopsy revealed animal scars on their necks and that they'd lost 98% of their blood, a feat that couldn't be accomplished without embalming pumps.

Pretty spoopy stuff I don't see mentioned enough.
>>
>>17597947
Oh shit I forgot about the yellow fever epidemic
Yeah that'll explain quite a few things
>>
File: 1460125475026.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1460125475026.gif
2 MB, 300x300
bit late to the party but voodoo is real. Initially looked into it about eight or nine years ago as part of youthful folly but rediscovered it mostly for the healing aspects. I'm in Quebec, which has a lot of francophone (those who speak french) from all over the world, including Haiti. Most of what I've seen is closer to your Nyawlins style though, and like any spiritual system it gets distorted in the media.

Planning a little vacation/pilgrimage of sorts to go down to Louisiana in October and talk to relevant locals if possible.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.