[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Onryō spirits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: images (8).jpg (5 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
5 KB, 275x183
I'm surprised there isn't more urban legends/folklore about these spirits aside from the Ju On movies. Any good stories about these spirits?
>>
No but pic is sexyhot WOW.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
4 KB, 259x194
>>17552073
>>
>>17552059
There are a lot about them, and most are pretty awesome. But they're hard to find over on the western internet because we seem to prefer the omgjumpscare kind of horror. I suggest reading the Saya in Underworld blog to find a few.
>>
The Japanese version is pretty spoopy
>>
>>17552159

Yeah been looking it up but Im finding very little, thanks for the tip Anon
>>
>>17552166

They're much more effective in the creepy department, the American one was good for jumpscares mostly and some of the ways the ghost appeared.
>>
The interesting thing about onryō, at least those depicted like the ones in Ju-On, is that they don't care who you are, they will fuck you up. Innocent, guilty, old, young. Minding your own business or just trying to help. They will fuck you up. They will fuck you up even if you've so much as associated with someone else who was cursed. You want to try to burn the house down like in the crappy American version? Too fucking bad, in the real version you won't even get a chance to light it. And it just keeps going, they absolutely will not stop until they've laid waste to everything in their path.

They're called "vengeful ghosts" for a reason. If they existed in real life, we'd be screwed.
>>
>>17552323

I liked how the 1st American one was set, where only the people who actually entered the house got cursed, it gave the feeling that it could be possible for this kind of ghost to exist and I believed it when I first watched it, after that the rules became bullshit "psychotic ghost kills absolutely everyone" and the whole thing crumbles after that.
>>
>>17552323
In Ju-On Shiroi Roujo some ppl actually are spared
>>
>>17553006
Haven't seen that one.
>>
Where's that guy running the Japanese horror blog when you need him?
>>
>>17552323
this is why these movies NEVER worked for me; there are no rules to this. so, i fart outside a vengeful spirit's haunted location on my way to donate my kidney to a sick child and it STILL goes to kill me? there's absolutely NO stopping it?
other than some of the trippy effects, these movies bore me. why even try? why even think you can escape? you're going to die anyway...
>>
>>17555373
Go back to watching your formula-filled Hollywood horror, then, where the good guys always win because humans are so awesome and stuff.
>>
>>17552323
This reminds me of why I love Michael Myers. That guy goes for anyone, doesn't care.
>>
>>17555376
okay, sassy, angry responses aside to my opinion - give me one reason to follow a story where everyone is guaranteed to die? where's the stakes? why should i care about these characters?
...other than you being some basement dwelling nihilist-loving idiot that can't take someone not liking their idea of a good movie.
why don't you go back to "writing" your crappy fan-fic about the woman from the ring finally falling in love with you. oh, wait, you can't - because you don't know what good story is.
>>
>>17555376
>>17555401
both of you are immature.

i am the only mature one, so i win.

neener neener neeeener
>>
>>17555401

Well as stated earlier, in the first movie the curse is only given if the person actually enters the house, it was only after in the 2nd movie, they added that people who come into contact with the cursed also get cursed, at least in the US version.
>>
>>17554310
If you like the series, I definitely recommend it, it's my favorite.

>>17555373
>>17555401
I personally don't like the "everyone dies" aspect of it either, but I believe that the way the horror builds up is way better than how it happens in "blockbuster horror movies". A lot of the feeling of dread also comes from the unknown, and you never fully understand how the curse exactly works, what it can or cannot do, etc, so that also adds up to it.
While I dislike when everyone dies, I do love how it is somewhat Lovecraftian in nature - about ordinary people against things far beyond comprehension and which they have no hope of truly defeating. These subtle shades of despair, foreboding and hopelessness are very poorly done on most western media, being replaced by more graphic things such as gore and trying to depict the 'monster' or entity more clearly and explaining/defining how 'it' works, which ruins everything imo.
Also, it's not a guaranteed death to come in contact with the curse. Some people do survive, and part of the experience for me is trying to guess if each person will somehow manage to survive or not. iirc, at least one person who entered the house survives in the 2nd movie too (or at least isn't killed onscreen).
>>
File: cosmic.jpg (255 KB, 1536x1042) Image search: [Google]
cosmic.jpg
255 KB, 1536x1042
I like reading really random, fringe paranormal shit and I love seeing the random points of consistency that pop up.

I was reading some shit people were saying about spirits and guardian angels and the like, and this weird thing came up about said entities disliking domestic dogs. Like... Some guy talking about "guardian angels" in a western sense mentioned something about how "they don't seem to like dogs" and someone else mentioned how that's a trait of spirits in some obscure Asian lore. I long since lost the source of this but as far as I can recall they never bothered to even attempt to explain why Spirits and Guardian Angels don't like dogs and I couldn't find any precedent of it from looking it up.

Even better... Apparently there's a strong trend of stories about animate, satanically posessed Smurf dolls, particularly among Mormons.

I don't mean Mormons trying to scare people from buying smurf stuff, I mean a bunch of people having fucking stories about Smurf dolls acting up, and a lot happen to be Mormon. There's a popular urban legend about a Smurf walking around saying satanic shit in the middle of a congregation, and a lot of people just have memories of Smurf dolls moving around and saying shit. Personally, this was some of the funniest shit I've ever read. Like of all the things, Satanic Smurf dolls? How did that ever become a thing?

What do you guys got? Correlations across cultures, inexplicable trends, weird recurrences, etc.
>>
>>17557100
fuck this was meant to be an individual post FUCK
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.