[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck hasn't this been talked about?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11
File: Universe.jpg (45 KB, 640x362) Image search: [Google]
Universe.jpg
45 KB, 640x362
Stumbled upon this site frombob.to. Read everything. Took fucking forever. Interesting read if fictional, if not then mind blowing. Check it out
>>
>Why the fuck hasn't this been talked about?

I've found that every thread that starts that way is retarded.
>>
>>17551513
Ok I have the page open, and it's about alien contact, which has indeed been discussed at length on this board.

Can you please tell us what sets this thing apart? Otherwise there's no motivation to read something that takes forever to read.
>>
File: 1458154379919.gif (4 MB, 460x258) Image search: [Google]
1458154379919.gif
4 MB, 460x258
>implies there's millions of advanced civilizations out there.

>wonders why they haven't made contact with us.

Same reason we don't communicate with insects.
>>
>>17551673
Keep reading. Simplest TL;DR is, Bob is the "alien" but not how we think yet how we think at the same time. He goes on to tell of how his "world" is basically a super ship the size of saturn that is basically a hyper computer that stores the consciousness of every inhabitant. It's an interesting read, and I can't find anything else about it anywhere. All pretty out there but can go along with the whole "we're in a simulation" idea. Like I said pretty out there and if fictional a good thought provoking read. If real, mindbogglingly amazing
>>
>>17551700
Actually yes. Insects aren't technologically and intellectually advanced to the point where we can communicate with them
>>
>>17551513
>why?
I just spent four hours reading the entire thing.

That's probably why.
>and I basically ended up believing exactly the same as I have been for years, only slightly less paranoid about the elite.
But then again, I'll believe anything as long as it's the most recent thing I read.
>>
>>17551700
YES. Finally someone says it! I mean people are so weirdly proud of this "humanity" thing, like we're oh-so clever and aliens would definitely want to chat us up... humanity is only a few million years old! Imagine a species with a billion year evolutionary head start... what the hell would we even have to say to them that could possibly interest them?
>>
>>17551513

>How can galaxies be real if our eyes aren't real?
>>
>>17552224

We don't talk to insects, but if we found out there were insects on Mars we would fucking care.
>>
>>17552224
>implying we should simply stop exploring the diversity in the insect world as soon as we established that insects exists
No need to learn anything about the Universe less advanced than ourselves
>>
>>17552235
On the contrary, everything is real. At least everything you can put into language.
>>
>>17552220
As I said, it's a long fucking read. But interesting.
>>
>>17551655
This. Usually, nobody's talking about it because it's something that's too dumb even for /x/.
>>
>>17552224
Spooky ellipses, bro. Clearly, you are a very mysterious and cool person.
>>
>>17552979
Maybe read it and find out then ya dumbfuck
>>
>>17552994
Why should I read the whole thing? It's just some idiot lying on the Internet.
>>
>>17551513
>Why the fuck hasn't this been talked about?
Seriously?

>As we enter the new millennium, we still cannot prove that there is anyone out there.
>Note: This is rather long. You may wish to read it off-line.
From a time when you would disconnect to save cash.
The earliest archive.org capture dates from October 23, 1999.
>>
>>17553001
Your opinion man. But try and be open minded for once and read it. Like OP said, if it isn't real it's still an interesting read
>>
>>17553015
This is that old and I can't find shit anywhere related to what this says
>>
I remember this, it's pretty interesting.

Makes you wonder about reality itself.
>>
>>17553025
Probably because most of the contemporary sites are now defunct.
>>
>>17553135
But not even discussion about it or anything. The only thing I found was on fucking reddit. Jack shit though and nobody said anything useful
>>
The question shouldn't be why aren't we talking about it, but rather can we please talk about it?

Not only is it interesting, if everyone on Earth actually believed this, we would have global peace and compassion.

Let's be real for a moment, this thing was written before anything on the Internet went 'viral'. I'm not an advocate of ufology or ayylmao, but I used to be fairly interested. Nowadays I divide my opinion in two camps: 1: UFOs and all sightings of entities (no matter what kind - greys, pixies, goblins, angels) are phenomenons of Earth, and has nothing to do with alien worlds.
2: If civilasations on other planets ever became as advanced as we are now, there's a good chance they went even further, and look at what we are doing with nanotechnology, understanding of biology, computing, AI etc., combined with the fact that the people among us who are most devoted to Transhumanism, are the ones that are most likely going to achieve it. In other words, if aliens are anything like us, they would have become Transaliens a long time ago, and are probably just waiting for the right time when revealing themselves wouldn't cause chaos and mass hysteria.

They are either not real and we are alone, or they are masters of spacetime and beyond, and we can become part of the galactic family if we choose the right path.
>>
>>17551700
>>17552224
This is such a dumb argument. It's basically people scrambling for some sort of perceived intellectual high ground.

Humans would TOTALLY try to communicate with insects if we had a way to and I'd bet money on there being scientific precedent for people trying to communicate with insects (simulating the way they communicate with each other).

Our barrier in terms of communicating with insects is the ability to communicate with them, not a disinterest in communicating with them.

I don't think an advanced civilization would actually struggle to communicate with us.
>>
>>17553564
Exactly. It's not in any way shape or form indicative of them not being there. Obviously Occams Razor would have us conclude that the reason we're not hearing from them is because they aren't there, but assuming they are - it would make a whole lot more sense for them to wait for us to stop waging wars between ourselves before contact. Or at least have less war than we've had the last 5000 years. The way I see it, it's up to us to prepare for first contact, and we don't do that by weaponizing space.
>>
>>17553617
Also, the interview with Bob was last updated four months before 9/11 - just to put some perspective on it.

Assuming it's true, Bob seems like he's not in a hurry in any timescale we can relate to. 20 years for the alien civilisation that lives in cyberspace is nothing, so even if he was here in the 90s downloading 'gigabytes' of information, he wouldn't feel like he was missing out on anything in the time that has passed since then.

>The Web is a net for capturing the alien

He might return this year, or he might wait another 30 years, or even 300 years - it all depends on how many people can accept the idea of their reality, and nowadays even some of the most accomplished mathematicians on Earth argues that we live in a holographic universe, and an ever increasingly amount of people are used to the idea of aliens because of what Hollywood and History Channel have done.
>>
>>17551700
>>
>>17553564
see >>17551714
>>
>>17553647
They talk about how aliens being portrayed in movies ands books and all sorts of media, while fictional, is helping desensitize us to the idea of aliens. Bob also said that they would wait until they feel that they could show themselves without causing widespread panic and that even before they show themselves they would start offering the choice to step through the doorway to one person at a time. So the process could take a long time and may have already started without us knowing about it
>>
>>17553564
Legit point bro. But...

What would we say to insects? Insects aren't even social animals in the sense that we are. What knowledge could I impart to an ant? What could I tell a praying mantis? What could it tell me? I think the language abilities of such creatures aren't developed like ours.

Another aspect. The point of communication is to share knowledge. If I impart all of the knowledge I possess upon, say, a cat, and the cat's subjective reality becomes more or less like mine, then it's arguable that the cat is not a cat. It's a human with a cat's body. It sounds backwards, but basically I've deprived that cat of its own thought processes, its own ignorance or lack thereof; I've basically forced it into a level of awareness that it didn't ask for.

That is to say, aliens interfering with us deprives us of attaining our own destiny -- we'd end up following them instead of figuring things out on our own.

I know that's not the biggest moral quandary, but I feel like it's a relevant question. If we make contact with an advanced civilization, one of the first things we're going to want to know is what kind of technology they have, and how we can duplicate it. If we assimilate their technology, we assimilate their means, we assimilate their problems, then we become them in a sense, and they essentially assimilate us.

Which might be OK. But something to consider.
>>
http://www.ghosttheory.com/2015/01/15/the-ammons-family-poltergeist

What about this
>>
>>17553859
This is also touched upon in the interview.

What you have to understand is that there will be centuries, if not millennia, of advancement that we (humans) will have to just skip going through, if we take their offer and walk through in order to become what they were in the initial stages. Yes, we will be 'them', but what makes us unique will still remain. The human species will in some sence be given membership in a infinitely large community of diverse aliens, but their technology wouldn't be something for us to learn to use for the advancement of our species - the community has access to all technology ever developed in the entire galaxy (by those who have walked through before,) so we would just add to that. No doubt would a lot of civilisations have developed similar tech - the wheel will certainly be thought up by many, and the combustion engine for that matter. What would make us unique in this somewhat primitive arena would be aesthetics - how we've clad our engines in Rolls Royses and Toyotas, not the level of advancement itself. After walking through we would gain understanding of anything we like, but there wouldn't be any point in teaching us about tech that we might develop without interference in say 200 years, for anything other than an interest in history, because the alien is billions of years old and has advanced beyond the physical universe. It's more a matter of abstracts and spirituality.

The insect analogy doesn't work, because we aren't advanced enough from insects.
>>
>>17553993
This
>>
>>17553712
That's my point you doofus
>>17553859
>What would we say to insects? Insects aren't even social animals in the sense that we are. What knowledge could I impart to an ant? What could I tell a praying mantis? What could it tell me?
Nothing. My statement was on the interests of humans, not the abilities of insects.

> If I impart all of the knowledge I possess upon, say, a cat, and the cat's subjective reality becomes more or less like mine, then it's arguable that the cat is not a cat.
I'm not sure if I agree with that argument. That's just an unusual cat, I don't see how it would make it a non-cat as knowledge and sentience don't have to do with the core definition of a cat. To be honest, I think sentience would exacerbate it's cat qualities, making it even more manipulative and nihilistic, plus a penchant for lasagna.
>aliens interfering with us deprives us of attaining our own destiny -- we'd end up following them instead of figuring things out on our own.
I think you're projecting your own philosophical perspective on this. Who is in a position to state what is or isn't destiny? That argument is like saying we shouldn't help strangers in need because it's meddling in their "destiny".
"Destiny" has no weight in a discussion like this, in my opinion.

>If we make contact with an advanced civilization, one of the first things we're going to want to know is what kind of technology they have, and how we can duplicate it. If we assimilate their technology, we assimilate their means, we assimilate their problems, then we become them in a sense, and they essentially assimilate us.
But this is one potential scenario out of thousands. They could choose simply not to bestow technology among us.

I think the one big argument for aliens who aren't interested in contacting us would be if they were aliens who had effective means of observing us without interacting with us.

Personally, I don't think an alien race would be that much more inherently advanced than us.
>>
>>17554060
>That's my point you doofus
I'm saying that that was what i was thinking as well, going along with what you stated
>>
>>17554128
Ah. Sorry friend.
>>
>>17553859
But say the cat had reached an intelligence level to where it could communicate with us? Then we offer it the choice of becoming an even higher intellect. That's what Bob and the Explorers are doing. We as a species have reached an intellectual point with which they could speak to us. For example, when we are children we are constantly learning yet we do not have as much knowledge as someone older than us. The larger the age gap, the larger the knowledge gap. Yet a 90 year old could sill talk to and explain things to a 5 year old. That is what it would be like if an intellectually superior being were to talk to us. We as a species are the 5 year olds of the universe. Basic understanding of our world we live in, they are the 90 year olds with knowledge that far surpasses our own.
>>
>>17554152
It's all good
>>
File: ayylmao.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>17553551
Transhumans already exist, my friend.
Ever heard of Caitlyn Jenner?
>>
>>17554395
Kek
>>
File: KEKS.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
KEKS.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>17554395
You win, anon
>>
File: bob.jpg (68 KB, 330x451) Image search: [Google]
bob.jpg
68 KB, 330x451
>>17551513

kek kek kek

guys this is a message from our old friend Bob !

i love him he is nice and fun !
>>
>>17554499
le wut
>>
>>17554153
>>17552224
greetings, aliens We are ready. I am ready. we as humans have reached enough advancement in consciousness for open contact. Once Bernie sanders becomes president it would be safe for aliens to reveal them selves. see you then aliens
>>
>>17552220
>I'll believe anything as long as it's the most recent thing I read.
Thanks for being honest, anon.
>>
>>17551513
>http://archive.4plebs.org/x/search/text/frombob.to/

We haven't exactly not been talking about it but as the other anon said, half of us already believe it.
>>
>>17551700
Think things through before you type...

We have come into contact with insects, we are surrounded by them, some people have them as pets.

Insects live off pure instinct. While humans, on the other hand are beyond that.

Don't be edgy.
>>
>>17555319
Honestly if they were combing through all of the interwebs and studied us through 4chan I think they'd be waiting a long time to come collect
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>>17551700
Bitches don't know that we're the dreams of insects.
>>
>>17556138
Now we have become ethereal non existent beings
>>
Just posting to add that I thought the publication date of this story and the publication of the first widely available proposals regarding the Toba event are interesting.

If the time stamped publication date of February 14, 1996 is to be believed it predated widespread knowledge of the Toba event hypothesis by 2 years. Although the first publications around Toba appeared from 1993-1996 it wasn't officially linked to population bottleneck theory until 1998.

Which makes the author both very scientifically literate and prescient. Not that either are unheard of in sci-fi, but an interesting note anyways.

Also, Toba got really controversial around 2013.
Genetic mapping is still young, so the veracity of this hypothesis is still being tested.
>>
Maybe the reason we can't find the missing link between us and some of our ancestors is because of what Bob says him and the Explorers did when they found that there were few of us left huddled in caves dying out because of climate change and starvation. It says they took us to Mars I think and let us repopulate while trying to make us believe that we were still on Earth by creating tunnels that looked like caves on Earth. Our missing link isn't on Earth because while we were in those habitats we evolved more into what we are today
>>
>>17551673
Have you ever read a book?
If yes, do you only read them if you are aware of positive reviews of it? How do you know for sure you are not going to disagree with those reviews after reading it? In that case, would you really consider it wasted time?

I think you have never read a book in your life.
>>
>>17552224
Uhmm many have said this before. you must be rather young. Not that it is a crime.
>>
>>17552266
Except that the insects on Mars would not understand/know/realise that we have discovered them.

That was the whole point.
>>
File: Ennui.jpg (51 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Ennui.jpg
51 KB, 1000x1000
>>
>>17552273
...says the least advanced life form on planet Earth.
>>
>>17553001
Because it is well written.
Even if you look at it only as simple fiction and in the odd eventuality that you may understand any of it, there is a chance that you could walk away from the whole experience a tad smarter.

It's called reading.
>>
>>17553020
Dude, some of the people here think that reading is hard labor. Don't even bother.
>>
>>17553151
My guess: the long read deters 95% of mankind... and it's getting worse by the day.
>>
>>17553551
Uh... I had internet access in 2001 and stuff did go "viral" LOL
>>
>>17556862
The 5% shrinks as the 95% multiplies without question.
Maybe that's why Oligarchies tend to form.
>>
>>17554395
I presume you are just joking.

Bruce/Caitlin is just a con man who has decided to dress up as a woman because his whole family makes a living from sensationalism.
In another time, he would have at best be called "a trasnvestite".
Until he undergoes gender reassignment surgery/therapy and follows through with an update on his identity documents, he is just a man who is fooling everyone to make a living. One hell of a living.
>>
>>17556862
Such a shame that this is true
>>
>>17556904
I agree
>>
>>17554395
>>17556904
Why does no one remember about the "Eyeborg"? This is like when everyone forgot about Babbage, or ENIAC.
>>
>>17556871
By default 'going viral' is not acknowledged as a real thing previous to the point in history when 'going viral' became an expression.

Youtube wasn't even invented in 2001. The domestic Internet was different, even if this has gone unnoticed by you.
>>
>>17556966
The dancing baby
>>
>>17557050
memories eh?
>>
>>17556966
Yeah dude, it was based on the cgi infant in Abby McBeal. I was 14 years old when I first got internet at home, in 1998.

I didn't use it to visit rotten.com though. Too squeamish at the time. I'm nonetheless familiar with how things spread online before youtube. Nobody talked about dancing babies, or chimps smelling their fingers and fainting, and introduced it as 'the newest viral thing'. I just mentioned the expression, in and of itself, to date the state of the internet at the time frombob.to went online.

Yeah you had popular video websites, but if any of the videos gained a million views at the time, it would be sensational. And the website in question isn't funny. It wouldn't end up on Buzzfeed if that had been a thing. It isn't newsworthy, because it's deniable. There's a limit to the amount of popular websites that would post it, and when things did go viral, it was usually via email. You'd have to either be a believer already, or convinced by the logical arguments in the text alone, to bother reposting it. In my original post I was merely making a connection with the nature of the website and the nature of the internet at the time it was published, to answer OP's question.
>>
>>17551513
So, OP, are you an alien?
>>
>>17557874
OP here, no I am not. But you either believe me or won't believe me.
>>
>>17556086
I dunno. They sound pretty disillusioned to me.
>>
>>17556466
You know how we're not supposed to just openly ask if someone is an alien or not?

Well, are you?
>>
>>17556804
Other way around, friend. That anon has read far too much /x/ to believe that things linked on /x/ are automatically worth reading. It's a cultural thing that you probably wouldn't understand.
>>
>>17556901
Daily reminder that Idiocracy was a satire film, not a valid projection.
>>
>>17557621
To "go viral," as a phrase, came about because the internet already worked that way. People don't tend to give names to phenomena that aren't already happening. Recognizing the processes that built or led up to the phenomenon isn't actually a fallacy.
>>
>>17551700
Drake equation is the answer: advanced technological civilizations destroy themselves. We're almost finished already.
>>
>>17558412
Actually, the website has a section on the Drake equation and it goes into extreme detail on it. It doesn't imply technologically advanced civilizations destroy themselves though.
>>
File: 1456932430631.jpg (346 KB, 1000x672) Image search: [Google]
1456932430631.jpg
346 KB, 1000x672
some hacker found data with

alien technoligy inside pentagon

over 25 years ago.

he hacked pentagon on the amiga.
>>
Technology*
>>
>>17551513

Have not read yet, but on the subject- humans are working to summon alien intelligence as we speak. Literally. That is what A.I. is.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-11-06-13h25m38s265.png (150 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-11-06-13h25m38s265.png
150 KB, 640x480
Technology*>>17558731
>>
>>17558743
Think maybe you're confusing alien intelligence avronym with the more wide spread artificial intelligence there bud?
>>
>>17558731
wut. More info?
>>
bump cuz actual intelligent discussion on x
>>
Reality is bullshit
>>
>>17558731
i hacked the pentagon too and they only had nudes from everyone in the world lmao
>>
>>17558399
You aren't wrong, but to tl;dr it:
Website in question went online before buzzwords we use today weren'y even invented. Boy, that was a long time ago, and it hasn't gained much mainstream attention. Probably because of the content, and how it's not a conspiracy, thus failing to provide us with new enemies.
>>
>>17560794
Noice. Mega Fappening time
>>
>>17560892
Sucks that people hear that it's not like that and decide not to read it. Or just stop reading after a while because it's "too long" for them
>>
>>17551513
This was a great read!
Can anyone recommend some alien movies that will be on my level after reading this?
>>
>>17562126
K=Pax
>>
>>17553029
To me the most interesting part of the whole thing was hearing that the "philosophers" on the ship pondered that the experience of them getting onto the ship could be just another game world.

The most interesting part of this isn't the existance of aliens, but the fact that if this is true it could change what we perceive as the structure of the universe itself. Spreading this idea right now feels like Roko's Basilisk. It puts consciousness at the forefront, and unites it with the idea that experience itself is the final frontier.

I would join the ship but for now I must spread as much love as I can in hopes that my loved ones will too. I watch everyone I know suffer \SO SO much. I just want happiness for all of them. The worst thing I can think of is for my loved ones to die disappointed in themselves.

I've read this site months ago and it triggered an intense spiritual experience. I highly recommend others read it.
>>
>>17558743
>alien intelligence
You mean artifical intelligence, right?
>>
>>17551708
Uneducated murifats don't know what a synopses is
>>
>>17553020
>The author claims that almost everything on these pages is entirely fictitious.
>You are urged not to believe anything you read here, except the parts that are true.
>Special thanks to Stephen Coen, Gordon DeSpain, Jeannie Paradise, and Jonathan Vos Post
I mean it is an interesting read to those who are interested in the topic, however, I wouldn't force someone to read it if they're not interested. It surely is a laborious task to plod through and not everyone is NEETs.
>>
>>17562179
Yes.This is the main reason I started this thread
>>
>>17562314
a personal experience? Well to be honest I think the best thing to do to "further along the process" would be to study game/chaos theory in some way and apply it with memetics. To get the idea to spread. Simply talking isn't an effective form of communication anymore, ya dig? (On a mass scale I mean, personally its really nice to know that there are other individuals as interested in this as I am.)
>>
>>17562356
>Simply talking isn't an effective form of communication anymore, ya dig?
No.
>>17562212
>not everyone is NEETs
Welcome to 4chan, where yes we are.
>>
>>17562389
Indeed
>>
>>17562212
I'm not forcing anybody to read it. I'm just saying that it's really well written and very interesting
>>
bumpity
>>
>>17551513
>"The author claims that almost everything on these pages is entirely fictitious."
Read the bottom numb nuts
>>
>>17563213
>The author claims that almost everything on these pages is entirely fictitious
>The author claims that almost everything
>The author claims
>claims
Do you not understand that this implies it may or not be true, limp dick?
>>
>>17563376
If they understood that they probably wouldn't have posted now would they?
>>
>>17563436
Just trying to point it out to him
>>
Hate the argument that an advanced civilization would have no reason in communication with an inferior civilization...
If we could somehow communicate with insects we wouldn't elect to speak with their leaders in secrecy to avoid mass hysteria, and whose to say that this isn't our situation.
The majority of ayylmao theories discuss extraterrestrial involvement with our governments.
>>
>>17552279
St.Anselm!
>>
>>17564511
Cheers familiar
>>
File: KnjTRRVm.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
KnjTRRVm.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>17551700

sup

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/06/comment-insects-may-be-able-feel-fear-anger-and-empathy-after-all

>>17552224
i guess with the universe being infinite there would be an infinite amount of scenarios where evolution of intelligent beings would go on unimpeded for a billions years, just have to find on before we humans go up in smoke

>>17553564
>>17553859
>>17553993
these guys get it
>>
>>17565683
Exactly. With the Universe still expanding and us being one of the newest additions to it, why do people think we're alone?
>>
>>17556833
Bull shit man! Didn't you see Starship Troopers!?
>>
>>17565749
kek
>>
Read the whole thing, loved it until they started talking about cyberspace. Something about all the conversation that follows feels off.

For some reason they never talk too much about spirituality. They actually miss that topic entirely and instead bash a bit (and rightfully so) on the negative aspects of our religions.

Bob seems rather science oriented, apparently ignoring spirit. They also never discuss what happens to a human when it dies. Is there a soul? What originates consciousness? What does that say about their cyberworld spaceship?

I don't know why but something about the computing life in many spaceships feels wrong. Not that it is impossible, but it doesn't ring as entirely true to me.
>>
>>17566460
Bob stated that even after all the time they've had and research they've done, they still don't know what happens after you die. And that they are basically immortal because all they are is consciousness inside cyberspace without a living body. Having a body that needs all these things like light, food, water, and energy is what makes us mortal. Bob said that yes, they can live forever until the end of the universe, but they can also choose to die, to stop existing.
>>
>>17566478
I can understand that, what I can't fathom is that with all the diversity and complexity in this universe that can't be THE only destiny a species can have.

Also I don't consider anything spiritual true in any way because I have no experiences however I can't discard any of it. It greatly bothers me that Bob doesn't even skirt the topic. Not Even with a 10 foot pole. I don't remember them actually discussing the afterlife other than the single part where they mention the topic but Bob quickly wanders on away toward some existential trip?
>>
>>17566478
Also if I remember correctly he said that even after all their time they still haven't proved wether there is or isn't a god.

I don't actually recall them discussing afterlife in any way other than the one time they briefly mentioned it and then went full existential
>>
>>17566615
>>17566628
>>17566460
>>17566478
Y'all didn't read close enough bob does touch the afterlife AND spirit with a 10 foot pole.
If I were a bigger nerd I'd cite the passages, but there's a part where he says they're explicitly NOT immortal, they're just extending their life span as far as possible. Eventually the universe will slow down, all the ships will run out of energy and all the consciousnesses stored within will perish. After that, you will presumably experience whichever afterlife *really*exists, if any.
He also touches on the possibility that transferring your consciousness from your body to the ship will actually kill you and just create an automatic robot copy. He says there's no way to know for sure, but he does imply that once people actually see this happen they begin to believe that the person's soul actually lives on on the ship.
>>
>>17566628
Also, as to whether there is or isn't a god, see bob's people's conception of "the object"
>>
>>17566760
Apparently you didn't read my comment in detail then. I said that they said they are basically immortal until the end of the universe but can choose to die before hand.

>>17566615
It's a choice, not destiny. That point Bob makes explicitly. He believes it to be the better choice to step through the doorway, but says that it is ultimately up to the person being offered the choice.

>>17566628
Yes, that was what i was alluding to and what i believe a lot of people would not understand on their first read through of this. They would get angry at the fact that they think that if this was true that would mean there is no God or afterlife. That isn't the case because Bob said that they've done research and come up with no conclusive answers to the question of the existence of a higher being.
>>
>>17566760
Actually he said that the consciousness or whatever soul there is is transferred to the ship and the physical body dies.
>>
>>17566760
I think I get it now... It seems to me Bob is explaining all this from a materialistic worldview, in which afterlife is still an unknown. Thanks for your comment, but it explains things which i understood and i have issue with, while not going into i was thinking.

>>17566765
I quickly realized that might be the closest thing Bob's culture could have to a god, and closest thing to what I consider could be a god, in fact it is far more closer to my hypothesis than any human concept of God. But I also noticed he did not allude any link to this idea and what we consider a deity.

> it's a choice, not destiny
As an individual, yes. As a species the odds are mostly in favor being its destiny unless all members without exception chose to not cross the doorway, which I suppose would leave them to eventual extinction.

If anything, let me rephrase it as those can't be the only 2 choices in the whole universe for a species. Did I explain it better now?
>>
>>17567039
Indeed
>>
>>17566899
He believes this but he concedes it's impossible to tell whether the consciousness in the ship is actually the same you who once inhabited the physical world.

Actually .. The duplication of the ships (and every consciousness in them) seems to support the idea that digital-consciousnesses are just copies and not real instances of the same soul. Right?

Do you die when you get on the ship???
>>
>>17552224
Did it not occur to you that there is a possibility that we ARE the first or perhaps the ONLY intelligent beings in this universe.
>inb4 not religious at all
>>
>>17567916
He implied that the transfer over was a very invasive and physical process. I think the human mind and body are fairly adaptable. Death, from the perspective of life, is the permanent experience of unconsciousness.

If the doorway was a one-and-done copy-paste of the mental "algorithm" and destruction of the body I'd be inclined to agree that death happens because the original mind would experience permanent unconsciousness. If it's a gradual process where the mind/body is slowly adjusting to an increasingly digital existence I'm not so sure.

If the mind was simply "copied" the original would have to undergo death. If the mind was "transformed" things get a bit greyer. It may all just be some intellectual can-kicking of course.

As far as the copies are concerned, that's more akin to "birth" since there is no risk of unconsciousness on the part of the original.
>>
>>17551700
>we are insects to higher beings
We are more like monkeys trying desperately to figure out how to use a stick to get a slew of ants to eat.

Humanity still is extremely fascinated with other lower life forms function, and the ones closest to us intrigue us the most.

While completely alien life forms like squid are an enigma that we crave to solve. Your point is flawed and under the assumption we are not in contact with alien and/or extra dimensional beings.
>>
http://frombob.to/you/epilog.html

A table of contents
>>
>>17567640
>>17567640
That post has 3 paragraphs with 3 points. Indeed to all or some?
>>
>>17568418
Everything that was stated
>>
>>17567953
>>17567916
You two would like the game SOMA. Especially the ending
>>
>>17568568
SOMA was an expeerience
>>
>>17568568
Soma is gay as fuck.
>>
>>17569243
Your opinion man
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.