[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "Conspiracy Cycle"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: diving into content.gif (970 KB, 415x235) Image search: [Google]
diving into content.gif
970 KB, 415x235
I don't know if there's a formal name for this, but I'm going with Conspiracy Cycle. I've always seen it on the internet, but it didn't hit me just how damaging and widespread it is until the one-two punch of the Unaoil leak and the Panama Papers leak.

To use an example, before the NSA spying became common knowledge, anyone who said this shit was met with derisive "Haha, nice conspiracy theory, tinfoil hat on too tight? The government would never do that" type of stuff. Immediately after the news broke, all those same people were the ones dismissing it with "Seriously, the government spies on its people? Everyone knows this. This is news to you?"

In other, words, it's a cycle. On a Monday, something is a wacko conspiracy theory, on Tuesday it leaks, on Wednesday it's "common knowledge" and not worth getting "worked up" over.

This isn't shills, or disinfo agents. This is voluntary, self-enforced apathy. What the hell drives this behavior? Is it basically just their way of looking away, a defense mechanism against the knowledge that our world is being increasingly revealed as insanely corrupt?
>>
>>17544144
>What the hell drives this behavior?
Fear. At least thats what I always thought. Knowledge in the backs of theirs minds that to do something about it would completely change the status quo.
>>
>>17544156

Fear, complacence and an unwillingness to actually care about stuff outside their living rooms.
>>
>>17544144
some doublethink shit

but personally, I knew about the NSA shit before it happened. I think all conspiracy theories are at least linked to some truthful aspect.

Nice dubs
>>
>>17544162
>I think all conspiracy theories are at least linked to some truthful aspect.

That's what I mean! There was evidence out the ass, but the public at large thought it was all crazed ramblings.

What's so upsetting (to me) is the fact that we not only live in an age where any average schmo can find hard fucking evidence of any number of economic/military/police conspiracies with relative ease, and these are being exposed at a record rate (Seriously, two back-to-back massive conspiracies in like a week? Even 5-10 years ago that sounds like the ending to a Bourne movie)...and people STILL don't think anything's wrong. If anything, conventional wisdom/public opinion has shifted toward the idea that this is how things are meant to be, because it's how "things have always been".

It's fucking heartbreaking, man.
>>
>>17544189
Be the change you want to see in the world.
>>
It's the natural way how most people function, and nothing can be done about it.
And the big guys know it.
What you can do is try to subtly "redpill" them, with very vague stuff. Positive brainwashing so to speak.
>>
>>17544210

How would you do it though?
>>
I would argue the reason is fairly basic: People don't want to seem behind the times, dumb, or just outright gullible.
>>
>>17544144
Is that TR2? I played the shit out of that game but I dont remember that particular room
>>
>>17544144
The answer is don't think about it. There's one conspiracy I know of through first hand experience. Like it's 90% fact. And I've heard from other people it's not an isolated incident.

Am I going to go on a crusade to try and stop it? Hell no. I'd just get locked up again. So I don't think about it.
>>
File: sint.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
sint.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>17544238
What does this picture of Tilda Swinton have to do with anything?
>>
people don't care as much as you do
pop culture moves fast
>>
>>17544144
I don't think that's true.

Nobody was surprised about the Panama Papers, nor about the NSA.

If something shitty involving corruption or overreach can happen, it already has happened. Most reasonable people would assume that.

It was already common knowledge beforehand that corruption was rampant in the political world and that the US government has a 1984 fetish. The leaks themselves simply confirmed this.

"Tinfoil hat" theories, buy-in-large, are the kind of conspiracy theories commonly found here--aliens, demons, magic--nobody will ever believe those. The fact of the matter is that they're the byproduct of schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, not an extension of basic logic and common knowledge.
>>
File: 1456790420484.jpg (386 KB, 1200x676) Image search: [Google]
1456790420484.jpg
386 KB, 1200x676
>>17545083
They're just stories, everything started as a story, the real ones and the improbable ones,

Someone heard something from somebody.

It's the most basic of human lenguage, methapors.

The key is finding the metaphor of what.

Kraken were based on giant squids and after watching one I'm not disspointed.

What's the reality that sustains the story.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.