[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What bothers me about the depictions of Hell. Why are Satan and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
What bothers me about the depictions of Hell. Why are Satan and his demons depicted as monstrous beings with horns and bat wings. I suppose it's mostly done as a contrast between holy and unholy, but shouldn't they be depicted as angels? Why would fallen angels make themselves look ugly, and why would they be okay with living in a burning realm of torment? You'd think they at least remake portions of it to resemble their former home.
>>
>>17498542
What bothers me is the content of this thread. Why does OP give a fuck how Satan and his demons depicted as monstrous beings with horns and bat wings? I suppose it's mostly because he's retarded and has nothing better to do. Why would OP make himself look stupid, and why would he be okay with posting in a burning realm of torment better known as /x/? You'd think he'd at least remake his posts to not suck so much.
>>
>>17498566
What bothers me is losing.
>>
>>17498566
Wow, you just literally called someone stupid for thinking about the particulars and nuances of mythology. You know, the exact opposite of being stupid.

OP, the most direct answer to your first question is that the depictions of Satan are derived from earlier visages drawn from other mythologies and religions. As you guessed, they're often 'uglified" to represent the unholy/enemy/unlikable although to be sure if you go through the history of Christian artwork you'll find plenty of depictions of the fallen as angelic, although still dark/fierce, that kind of thing.

You can find about a billion different ideas on the situation in hell. In some accounts, Satan isn't even exactly rebellious, and instead crafts hell to be a place of torment for human souls as per God's orders/wishes. He's doing his "job" punishing the wicked. In others the distinction reflects a fundamental divergence of philosophy. For the fallen their very view point preconditions them to manifest an environment like hell. In others they most definitely don't want to be in hell, a place crafted as punishment for them, and they're fighting to get out.
>>
>>17498542
>>17498616
The corruption of perfection, it's just the same as heaven, but without love (God) as the glue that harmonises and binds everything.

Think of how orcs were a mutation of the elves in lotr.

Evil cannot create anything, only pervert creation.

We are somewhere in the middle, fighting between the two.
>>
>>17498542
Same reason Best Korea depicts 'murricans as monstrous beings with horns and bat wings.
It's just propaganda.
>>
>>17498542
they look ugly as a consequence of their fall, and not because they make themselves look ugly. their fall has to be understood in its proper context though. they didn't fall per se, but rather they stayed behind at an earlier stage of development whilst other higher beings, or angels, moved on. these luciferic beings wanted to continue on with developmental activities of the cosmos that were no longer germane, no longer required. in a way they got stuck in a way of doing things and couldn't, and didn't want to, move forward. their activities involved bearing light and certain types of emotion into the human being, but when that work was supposed to be complete and new tasks apportioned to them, they chose, as it were, to continue on with those same tasks. in that way, they became fallbacks, backsliders. in the way anyone who falls from his natural estate can begin to become hideous to behold, so did they. their work, however, is important in the grand scheme of things. without them, we could never have freedom.
>>
In what though? I have seen it depicted many different ways. Also, according to the mythology, satan and demons can pretty much be anything they want, often being beautiful or innocent, their true forms represent the ugliness of what they are, they prefer it to scare others but at the same time will change to entice or fool others.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.