[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What its the mythological difference between a moth and a butterfly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: bugs.jpg (187 KB, 960x739) Image search: [Google]
bugs.jpg
187 KB, 960x739
What its the mythological difference between a moth and a butterfly? All the books I have read just clump them together. I like moths. They are so cute.
>>
File: IMG_3187.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3187.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>
I like moths too. don't know that there's too much on either of them in ancient myths, or rather, their differences per se. the fact that one is diurnal and the other is nocturnal is sort of interesting. one is like a winged night dream, the other like a bright daytime idea.
>>
File: Deep Dream.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Deep Dream.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>>
>>17497942
do you know the difference between a day trip and a night trip? a journey where you get to know yourself. Spirit trips. There is a safety in the sun's burning rays that there is not in the moon's dripping light.
>>
I'm gonna say that since most people who created common mythologies aren't the smartest they didn't even notice a difference between the two. Same form, same life cycle, same habits. One just comes out more often at night.
>>
Butterflies weren't on Jodie Fosters lips in the Silence of the Lambs.
>>
File: m8cmi8cfrX1qmrwdxo1_500.jpg (100 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
m8cmi8cfrX1qmrwdxo1_500.jpg
100 KB, 500x331
Is there a spiritual concept behind moths? I had a dream that a large white moth was in my kitchen and was trying to talk to me.
>>
>>17499745
Yeah it means you need a life
>>
>>17497932
You mean biological difference.
>>
Symbol of That Which Can Be Attracted

“Like a moth to a flame” is a cliche used to denote the extent which something is able to be attracted to something else. If a certain fishing lure is being touted as a fantastic fish-catcher, the advertiser will say, “Fish come to it like moths to a flame.” This symbol stems from the physical attraction moths have to a light source.
>>
Omen of Good Luck

Butterflies apparently have a great deal to do with luck, both good and bad. “In Louisiana it is thought that good luck will follow shortly after a white butterfly flies into your house and flies around you.” However, the same action is an omen of death in Maryland.
>>
Soul

Butterflies are souls of the dead
waiting to Pass through Purgatory

The butterfly symbolizing the occurs in numerous cultures over many centuries. Perhaps the most prominent association of the butterfly with the soul is with Psyche.

The myth of Psyche originated in the Orient. A Myth said the Rhetors (mere talkers) is “an untrue narrative representing truth.” This myth is a good example of approaching “profound realities of Nature by poetic intuition.” “Its secret sense shows through thanks to the symbolism of the butterfly.”

By her beauty, Psyche has aroused the jealousy of Venus. She had seduced Eros himself. Carried away by Zephyre into a flowery valley. She lived there in a dream Palace. Each night she greeted there a lover that she was not supposed to see. On the false-hearted advice of her sisters, giving in to curiosity, she came once with a lamp, to see the one who shared her bed. A drop of oil fell on the god who took flight. Thus began the terrible afflictions from which the unfortunate one could escape only thanks to the complicity of Love. When she had surmounted them her wedding was celebrated in Olympia and she was admired at the banquet of the gods.

Now in Greek, Psyche signifies at the same time soul and butterfly. The myth was interpreted by playing on this double sense. It became the story of the soul touched by divine love, but which, by reason of the mistakes made, must undergo some tribulations before having access to happy immortality. The night butterfly [the moth] attracted by the flame, like the soul attracted by heavenly truths, burns in the flame, reflection of the trials that must be endured to eliminate the fleshy sink-stones before knowing the joys of the beyond.

The work of George Hoefnagel (1542-1601) attempted to illustrate sacred texts using symbols. Many of his works contain caterpillars and butterflies, symbolizing man and his soul.
>>
Moths are creepy as any lovecraft
shit
>>
>>17500555
In México a black butterfly is a death omen
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.