[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleep Paralysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 469x469
Experience stories, thoughts behind why they happen, etc

Unfortunately I never have had it happen but would like to see for myself. My opinion is that it is a psychological projection of fear contained within the mind of the observer and not actual separate entities.
>>
this was back when i went to college in pittsburgh, i've had a few sleep paralysis experiences but this was by far the most vivid and terrifying, it goes like this.
>wake up in the middle of the night
>feel very dark and scary entity
>somehow knew he was at the end of my bed crouching in the corner of the room
>couldn't move
>see him stand up
>just stands at the end of my bed
>very dark figure evil feeling
>stands there and stares for what feels like an eternity
>remember an old lucid dream trick to wiggle my tongue
>snap out of it and suddenly able to move my hands
>man fades away
>stay up the rest of the night
i cannot stress how evil the presence in that room felt, it was the most evil thing i've ever felt and did not feel of this world, pure hate, pure dread, it was terrible
>>
it's not a lot of fun. i've had infrequent fits of sleep paralysis since i was a teenager and i've never seen spooky shadow people or anything cool like that. the first time it ever happened i was scared shitless and thought i was goin die, but after that it's just been like "oh boy it's this nonsense again"
>>
>>17496862
that's normally what it is like for me too besides the other time i just posted about. my best advice would be to wiggle your tongue, it's a pre dream state that paralyses your body so you don't act out your dreams, but your tongue stays moveable so you can swallow, and when you wiggle it sends a signal to your brain telling it that your awake
>>
>>17496862
I move my hands and try to say my cats name out loud. It usually Jenks me from it within a few moments, unless I start wake cycling where I'll wake up 20 different times and each time still realize I'm not awake because there's a black figure in my peripheral just out of focus.
>>
>>17496859
Do you typically gain the ability to move once the shadow person disappears?
>>
>>17496828
Eh, happens to me at least once a week. First time I just saw someone standing next to me but I had read on sleep paralysis before so I wasn't spooked at all.
It's more annoying than scary
>>
>>17496885
Do you ever try to interact with the person since it happens so frequently?
>>
>>17496882
that was the only time i ever saw a shadow person, but yeah once i wiggled my tongue and moved my hands he disappeared and i was fine, just a little freaked, normally i just wake up paralyzed and just move around a bit and it'll end and i'll go right back to sleep
>>
i'll try the tongue thing next time. i can't recall if i've tried that before, but i usually try to scream and move around, and the only things i've been able to control are my throat and diaphragm. i'm in the habit of rasping out an s.o.s. in case anyone hears me lol
>>
>>17496828
Psychologist Anon here.
First, google tha fuck what Sleep Paralysis is. It's nothing like a "psychological projection of fear contained within the mind" and I'll tell you why:
>mind is nothing that's "inside of", "whithin of" something. Mind is what you see, feel, experience, think, etc. Not a floating entity separated from your body.
>fear is never contained; fear is always "from" or "about" something. There is no fear without an object that produces it. Fear is an emotional response with a physiological correlate.
>given that of fear, it can't be "projected" because it's not something that comes from inside.

Sleep Paralysis is just a state when your brain is half-awake, while still having your body sleep. When you're sleep, your brain "disconects" from your body.
As you are still half conscious, you usually have some allucinations. Most common is that you feel being oppressed (because paralysis) and or that something is there (created by your brain as part of dreams).
>>
>>17496882
Sometimes there is no shadow person and you cycle between thinking you've woken up a few time only to see something slightly out of place, like the cat is walking on two legs that causes you to wake up again until you realize that the fan is playing music and then you wake up again until finally you can move your hand and you can blink and you realize you've been hallucinating because your eyes were open but you couldn't close themy. Fun times.
>>
>be me
>fall asleep in small sofa instead of bigger sofa one night (got my own place hardly sleep in my room for some reason)
>laying in awkward position
>wake in the middle of the night
>open my eyes but can't move
>look to ceiling
>a woman is hovering above me
>see her face but she looks pretty not ugly but she is mocking me
>feel like she is holding me down
>try to move see if I can try and pushing her off
>can't
>wake up completely after about 30-45 seconds

I never felt scared, that has been my only experience with sleep paralysis. I think it was the fact I was in an uncomfortable position that triggered that. Honestly, I wouldn't mind that happening again because it's interesting to me and I like to experience such events personally to make my own mind up.
>>
Alcoholic, whenever I try to seriously cut back or abstain, there's usually a bout of sleep paralysis. Kept happening to me one night, a person in the room, and was just annoying. After the third time, I went to the couch in the other room because I just wanted to sleep, but it happened one more time.

The trick I find is to sleep with something over my head (like a pillow, towel, or blanket) and it doesn't happen. I usually do this anyway, because I'm a light sleeper, so light and sound can wake me up early in the morning.
>>
>>17496828
I suffer from that and one night I opened my eyes and a shadow was there and suddenly it took the shape of a beer, weird stuff
>>
>>17496828
Falling asleep for the night flat on my back. I shit you not, most every time I'd try this, I would experience sleep paralysis. And every time I fall asleep for the night on my stomach, I have frightening dreams.

Anyone else?
>>
>>17496914
>Psychologist
take that pseudoscience out of here
>>
>>17496828
>Like 12
>Shitkid who was into spooky stuff
>Already knew about sleep paralysis
>Wake up
>Can't move anything except for my eyes
>Try to scream, can't
>Look at my clock, it's 7:00 AM
>Realize what's happening
>Not seeing any weird shit
>Decide to just go back to sleep
>Wake up later fine
>>
>>17496828

OP's picture:

Skellington realm in space where skellingtons wait to be incarnated into a human body to live a life, presumably after much waiting and searching. They live an entire human life, only to come back to skellington realm to be greeted with that line. They wait as their memories of this realm kick back in and as they start to remember, they consider how easily they believed they were human, and start to go crazy not knowing if their incarnation as a skellington is real or not.
>>
>>17496914
Kek you are a shit psychologist
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 720x576
>>17497727
>>
File: sky.jpg (58 KB, 482x486) Image search: [Google]
sky.jpg
58 KB, 482x486
First experience was not really a paralysis but some kind of a lucid dream where I did not know I was dreaming (it was the first time I experienced that state). I stood up from my bed to go to the bathroom, but I tripped over something invisible, after that I was really really freaked out since it never ever crossed my mind that I would still be dreaming. The sky looked like pic related. This whole experience was the most weirdest shit that has ever happened to me. After waking up for real (still unsure of reality etc) I went to school and spent the whole day trying to figure out what the fuck happened to me. I spent the next few weeks reading about lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis. Now I choose not to see these shits because they can tend to be scary even if I am in control. I can control them completely and usually shut them down instantly. I still do reality checks a few times a day.

To make clear, the dream was like real life, there was no way at all, to figure out this was a dream(except the sky and invisible shit, but I meant real life as in the feel of being in your body as you are now sitting on your computer touching the mouse/holding your dick). Touching a door felt like touching a door etc.
>>
This happened pretty often a few years ago but just stopped after I moved houses.

>be me 13-14 ish years old
>"wake up" in my room
>feel what I describe as pure evil surrounding me
>room is pitch black
>huge dark figure picks me up and slings me across his shoulder
>from his shoulder I look down and see myself sleeping
>scream and wake up

Scary shit mane.
>>
I had a few, only three really stuck out.
I didn't know what they were until fairly recently, when my wife was watching a documentary on it, on Netflix.

>be me
> days consisted of playing FFXI, sleep, work, nap, FFXI, etc..
>came home from work, lay down to nap
>start to drift
>felt air rush into ears (like when you yawn)
Every time I had a sleep paralysis episode, this rush of air always preceded it.
>knew what was happening, so I decided to force my self awake
>got up and hit the light switch
>"woke up" back in bed
>thought wtf
>got up again and hit the light switch again
> woke up back in bed
> this kept going on for for or five times but each time it was harder to get to the light switch
>by the end of it, I was crawling to the light switch, struggling to reach up to hit the switch
> finally, actually, woke up
>>
>>17498460
Another time

> was napping
>start to drift
>feel air rush into ears
>feel semi awake
>little girl enters my room
>comes up to my bed and starts whispering to me
>I don't know what she's saying cause I'm half asleep
> she leaves, I stay asleep
> wake up normal, hear that little niece is home
>figure it was her
>ask mom if little niece was in my room when I was asleep
>she says no, why?
>explain "dream"
Weird shit used to happen in the house, so none of this surprises her
>>
>>17497601
>implying any form of science or scientific process is welcome here
>>
>thoughts behind why they happen
google the exact chemical process but basically the chemical released during REM sleep is released as normal to paralyse your body but you're still somewhat concious
The hallucinations experienced are basically dreams taking place while you're awake, like a more vivid version of day dreaming
Asking why people hallucinate certain things however is like asking why people dream about certain things at all
Taking the hallucinations as anything more meaningful than a dream itself is retarded
>>
>>17498583
>Taking the hallucinations as anything more meaningful than a dream itself is retarded

b-b-but my subconscious projections anon
>>
>>17496828
If you want to know what it is like have someone tie you down in your bed tonight . Be dure you cannot move around . Goodnight and hope you have an unpleasant dream .Maybe watch a couple sick horror movies first . Have the person untie you in the morning .
>>
>>17498603
That doesn't sound like it
>>
> hear deep voice clearly tell me "are you listening to yourself?"
> I immediately freeze and feel a strong grab on my left side
> felt like someone squeezing my ribs
> try to scream, nothing
> try to move, nothing
> I can't even open my eyes but I feel fully conscious
>relax and made sure I could breath
>fall asleep
> next thing I know I wake up and nothing is disturbed except me.
That was the second time it happened
>>
Weird, either I have something different, or my sleep paralysis is tame as fuck.

-It normally happens if I sleep faced up, not faced down.
-I only had a vivid dream once (or that's the only time I remember it)
-The other times, I just force myself to wake up by using a ridiculous amount of force. My whole body ends up hurting afterword's, but it breaks me out of the paralysis
-Oh yeah, and if I get paralysis, break it, and fall asleep face up again, I'll get paralysis immediately.
>>
Same as other anons here, it happens pretty regularly to me,I don't see spooky shit too much though. It's pretty obnoxious
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.