[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are we humans so dependents of electricity ? Imagine an extraterrestrial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: tmp_23231-images(4)2069897091.jpg (17 KB, 739x415) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23231-images(4)2069897091.jpg
17 KB, 739x415
are we humans so dependents of electricity ?

Imagine an extraterrestrial invasion what would happen to us if the electric system were broken down,in days we were died nothing would be like in hollywood if you have seen a UFO you shortly can realize these shit are millions and millions of years over our knowledge at the point that they may be can warp space to their will and tamper things beyond us so you realize we do not have possibility against those things
>>
>>17487619
Well duh

It powers the modern world.

Another thing we're becoming increasingly dependent on is the internet.
>>
>>17487619
>are we humans so dependents of electricity ?

The easiest question to answer.
>>
>>17487619
every one wouldnt die. many would but not every one

some can live off the land and others would live off of others for a time.

so maybe you cant catch a rat to eat but people well those fat fucks cant run or crawl into a wall and a person provides a lot of meat
>>
>>17487619
>Imagine an extraterrestrial invasion what would happen to us if the electric system were broken down

Hello.
>>
>>17487619
well chances are even if you're millions of years ahead of us, you're still relying on electrons moving about in space, so they wont be able to just shut it down for shits and giggles
>>
>>17487619
You're assuming too much. what if they use tech from another civilisation (past or buy/trade from current). what if they turn up only to be a fatter lazier stupider species than our current stereotype of the american people.

What if we're the first intelligent life forms.

What if we're the only intelligent life forms.

We have no perception of whart they could be like. They might not even have a concept of violence, which could be an explanation as to why they are so advanced. they couldn't possibly waste as much time as humans have infighting if they don't know what fighting is.
>>
>>17487619
>electric system were broken down

How would they do this? By vaporizing all the copper on the planet somehow?
>>
>>17487619
http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/resources/energydevelopment/energyaccessdatabase/

17% of all humanity - 1.2 billion people - had no access to electricity at all in 2013. We aren't dependent on electricity. It just makes everything SO much nicer.
>>
>>17489567
A big enough electromagnetic burst would do it. How this is down doesn't matter but it could be done.
>>
File: 1458415911762.jpg (25 KB, 479x400) Image search: [Google]
1458415911762.jpg
25 KB, 479x400
>>17487851
Nice!
>>
>>17489577

>what are backup generators?

All important facilities have these. We'd be fine.
>>
>>17489556
If it were true that we were the only intelligence- that would be more terrifying than anything else
>>
>>17489638
Are you retarded? Anything with a semiconductor (within proximity) would be completely fucked up by an EMP. The backup generators won't be much help if everything that it's meant to power is fried.

EMPs can travel through our power lines and will basically fuck anything up the ass which it comes into contact with. Unless the device/facility has been purposefully protected from electromagnetic blasts/pulses (any and all government and military facilities) then you can't count on the fact it'll be as worthless as a NEET.
>>
>>17489665
I find it more reassuring. Another intelligent life form is an unknown quantity. We don't know if it'd be benevolent or malevolent. The unknown if far more terrifying than the fact that we've been by ourselves our entire history and will be for the rest of it.
>>
File: outlet strip.jpg (795 KB, 1896x1896) Image search: [Google]
outlet strip.jpg
795 KB, 1896x1896
>>17489667
>Unless the device/facility has been purposefully protected from electromagnetic blasts/pulses
>>
>>17489678
I see your point. We just don't have much to be proud of at this point
>>
>>17489667
>EMPs can travel through our power lines and will basically fuck anything up the ass which it comes into contact with. Unless the device/facility has been purposefully protected from electromagnetic blasts/pulses

>what are breakers and fuses

Are -you- retarded?
>>
>>17489681
first up that's assuming the emp ONLY travels through the powerlines - which it won't. Also a surge protector you buy from a store for $20 isn't going to do shit. best it'll do is save your tv if your antenna gets hit by lightning, but an emp works in very high frequencies. you'd be lucky if the surge protector didn't get melted into a puddle of plastic spunk.
>>
>>17489706
See >>17489714
EMPs primarily traval through the air, not just through our power lines. Any exposed wire works as a conductor for the pulse to gain access to the wiring. otherwise it basically travels as a shockwave.
>>
>>17489714
>I get my info from movies and TV
>>
>>17489714
An emp is just a magnetic pulse... It is not an ion cannon. It's not what Hollywood has made it out to be
>>
>>17489721

Huh. It looks like I'll have to do some more in depth reading.
>>
>>17489726
It depends on the source. EMPs are created in nuclear attacks. Which is why faraday cages have to built around cameras when recording tests so they aren't completely fucked over.

>>17489724
you found a picture on google after 5 seconds of looking and assumed you found the answer after scientists spent years of trying to find the perfect way to protect against an emp... and you're calling me out on my shit?
>>
>>17487619
By your skill at using the keyboard, I imagine you would be fine.
>>
>>17489726
good job fuck wit and like any other magnetic pulse its occurrence can be as a radiated, electric or magnetic field or a conducted electric current. it's not set to one means of travel.
>>
>>17489737
>in range of a nuclear blast
>oh no! my electronics!
kek
>>
>>17489751
You're an idiot.

The blast is the primary effect of a nuclear attack but the electromagnetic blasts - like the nuclear radiation and shockwave - all occur outside of the initial blast. Anything within range of the BLAST would be obliviated, but i said nothing about being in range of the blast did I?
>>
>>17489763
No, I'm trolling. Your scenario is laughable. Anything that produces an EMP to the magnitude you are talking about across the entire world would be WAY WORSE than the resulting EMP.

But go on - give me your plausible scenario here.

>How this is down doesn't matter but it could be done.
>>
>>17487619
Sounds like you are having a difficult enough time getting by as is, good luck!
>>
>>17489751
Not the point he was making. If a high altitude nuclear blast went off any cabling outside the blast would act as an antenna for a EMP if it occured. A grid is only as strong as it's weakest link and only a few junction within proximity would need to go down for the rest of the grid to fall with them. If aliens were to use a nuclear attack and indirectly cause an emp it would take weeks or months before we could get around to fixing it. it takes at least a week for us to fix a grid after an electric storm as is.
>>
Surely there has to be a way to protect our devices from an EMP by now, right?
>>
>>17489781
I never said it was plausible, i was just explaining the science behind it. The only way it would go down would be multiple emps from different locations. As you said anything big enough to hit the whole world with one emp is way worse than the side affects of the emp.
>>
>>17489784
Ok - we have one senario: aliens attack and use HA nukes.

You seriously think the problem on people's minds will be how to get the electrical grid back up? Did the aliens bomb us and then just leave?
>>
>>17489790
there is. Faraday cages with holes between the wiring that are smaller than the wavelength of the EMP work. but then we wouldn't be able to use the devices so thats a drawback...
>>
>>17489791
>I never said it was plausible

>>17489577
>but it could be done

Yeah, actually, you did say it was plausible. Are you now agreeing it's a silly stance?
>>
>>17489800
That wasn't me but whatever. Considering we're on the topic of aliens attacking the definition of plausible gets stretched a little anyway. You could say it's plausible an emp that big could be created but it would turn us around and fuck us right up our proverbial and literal asses.
>>
>>17489810
>wasn't me

Fine, you still were defending the position. Aliens were brought up by others as a "plausible scenario." I think I agree something like aliens would have to be introduced for any of this to become "plausible."
>>
>>17489817
Okay i'd say i was defending the position but only of interest in the subject. In reality it'd be near impossible for any creature - man or alien -to generate an emp of that size. The only way i'd see it happening would be a solar flare during a maximum. it'd have to be a big ass flare though. the only one that earth has experienced was the 1989 quebec blackout.
>>
File: xnLHg01.jpg (237 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
xnLHg01.jpg
237 KB, 2560x1440
>>17487623
not really doe
#GoingAmish
>>
>>17492206
>GoingAmish
ew
>>
>>17492206
>GoingAmish
that sounds about as fun as sticking an ear of corn up your anus. Which is probably what you'd end up doing anyways
>>
>>17489667
Before everyone calls you retarded for other reasons, I would like to point out that op never said anything about an emp.
>>
>>17489667
lol perhaps you should stop watching movies
>>
>>17495040
He may as well have. He asked what'll happen it aliens attacked and our electrical grid went down. Unless they're sending an army of little et motherfuckers into our power stations with bolt cutters and pliers I don't know how else they'd down our grid. unless they actually bomb our plants and crap, in which case our electricity is the least of our problems. But people already said that and already tried calling me retarded. You'd know that if you bothered reading the thread.
>>
>>17489665
Sorta cause you know the only thing going to wipe out all the humans, is humans. Our favorite pastime is killing each other, I dont see us ever stopping.
>>
>>17489781
Buddy, a single 1-megaton bomb detonated 260 km above the state of Nebraska would wipe out all electronic devices. ONE FUCKING BOMB. There would be no "blast effects", just a pretty aurora in the sky.

Also, study up on the Carrington Event.

Your welcome.
>>
>>17496091
Except there are blast effects both direct and indirect. For example a big fucking cloud of radiation and death would be an effect directly caused by the attack.a transient electromagnetic disturbance would be indirectly.

seriously just google 'effects of nuclear explosions'.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.