[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have recently read a pasta about how you experience everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: IMG-20150419-WA0007.jpg (693 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150419-WA0007.jpg
693 KB, 1840x3264
I have recently read a pasta about how you experience everything around you. It basically says that every nerve, every little thing you hear, feel, see, taste and smell, is processed in your brain.

You are your brain. You are this mass trapped inside your skull, and you will never be able to escape. You will keep perceiving the world around you through that construct you built around yourself over all these years, but you will never be able to do anything on your own. You are helpless. You are vulnerable. You are dependent. You made your own prison of flesh, blood and bones. You will never be free.

You are just that little thing inside, and so is everyone else. How does it make you feel?
>>
File: 1404336786925.jpg (59 KB, 535x533) Image search: [Google]
1404336786925.jpg
59 KB, 535x533
>>17478511
Just fine, thanks.

Try harder next time.
>>
Everything is mind. The mind is inherently empty. Forms, such as the brain, are inherently empty. Lack of awareness of the minds inherent nature is ignorance. Ignorance occurs when form-based phenomena distract and envelop the awareness to the point where the inherent nature of mind is obscured. In this way, forms then appear solid and "real" due to this lack of proper context or point of reference. This is how attachment functions which then gives rise to ceaseless craving and grasping; this is how one is then imprisoned in a body-bound state of awareness that is subject to the karmic cycle of endless death, rebirth, ignorance and suffering.
>>
>>17478511
I love the feeling about an hour and a half into an acid trip where you start to feel your mind dissociate from your body entirely. But really we're just the shuffling states and energies of quantum particles, minute fluctuations in spacetime, and free will is an illusion.
>>
>>17478511
Eh. I feel okay. Probably shouldn't have chugged hot sauce earlier.
>>
>>17478511
>You are your brain. You are this mass trapped inside your skull, and you will never be able to escape.
Not... really.
I am my brain, but my body is also a part of my "self". "Escaping" from yourself isn't really a meaningful concept.
>>
you implied in the first sentence we were more than just our brain. what is the brain processing if not for the inputs from the rest of the body?
>>
File: Opiate Album Artwork.jpg (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Opiate Album Artwork.jpg
56 KB, 600x600
>mfw
When you go beyond the senses and outside of the 3rd & 4th dimensions.
>>
So to summarize /x/ feels just fine about it, thanks.
>>
File: 1449016665338.jpg (112 KB, 419x536) Image search: [Google]
1449016665338.jpg
112 KB, 419x536
>>17478511
Get this petty sadboy intellectual nihilist shit out of here.

I've got bills to pay, shit to see, and dreams to build before I dissolve.

Live a good life son.
>>
>>17478511
Good luck being a brain lying on the floor.
>>
File: chariot of the body.jpg (106 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
chariot of the body.jpg
106 KB, 638x479
>>17478511
Congrats on realizing you are not your body. Next step is to realize all those thoughts, desires, and identities connected with the body - that isn't you either. It's just another shell.
>>
>>17479573
This album was actually about dragon ball z.
>>
Folks ITT should look more into Buddhism. There was already one good post >>17478580 capturing a Buddhist view of things.

All schools of Buddhism generally agree with the Kaccayana-gotta Sutta in the Nidana Vagga of Samyutta Nikaya collection. Nagarjuna quotes it specifically in his Mulamadhyamakakarika. In this sutta, Buddha says the world generally holds to two extreme views, existence and non-existence, that there is a soul or that there isn't a soul. He says one who sees the generation of the world (specifically the arising of a living being) does not conclude that there is nothing (nonexistence), but one who sees the cessation of the world does not conclude there is something (existence). Instead he sees the conditioned genesis of phenomena in the world which is neither existence nor non-existence. In Buddhism, contrary to Hinduism or Brahmanism, there is no ultimate self to find or realize, rather the illusion of self is to be abandoned.

Once a monk named Yamaka had the wrong view that when a fully enlightened monk dies, he is annihilated and cut off, existing no more. It is a subtle point - seems to fit the Buddhist idea, that the goal of practice is extinction or Nirvana, right? So isn't Yamaka right that the goal of Buddhism is to be annihilat, cut off, to exist no more? He is rebuked by the venerable Sariputta, who proves to him that even while living here and now, no self can be discerned to actually exist, so what is cut off and rendered non-existent at death?

Many people hear about Buddhism and feel fear: I thought I existed, now these Buddhists say I will cease to exist! But in truth Buddhism does not rely on this language duality of existence and non-existence for describing the phenomena of life.

cont
>>
>>17484404
On a less abstract level, believing in spiritualism (eternalism; existence; that you have or are a soul) leads to the view of an existent self, for whom you do good karma for better rebirths/afterlifes. On the other hand, believing in materialism (annihilationism; non-existence, that you are just the body, which ceases at death) you fall into hedonism and seek to enjoy as much pleasure as possible before dying. Buddhism is not really about getting better rebirths but escaping rebirth entirely and attaining final Extinction or Nirvana. Karmic consequences are impermanent, even the gods are reborn once their merit wears off. Good karma, based on the wrong view of a really existent self or soul, just spins you round samsara for longer. The four noble truths can also be read as a statement about karma: 1) past karmic consequences in present moment life 2) regeneration of samsaric becoming via new karmic actions 3) cessation of samsara via cessation of karma in the present 4) the way of cessation of karma via 8 limb path. Everything in Buddhism is interconnected, if you understand the noble truths you can understand the 12 links of conditioned genesis and how to attain Nirvana.
>>
File: flame.gif (498 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
flame.gif
498 KB, 256x256
La conscience est une petite flamme invisible et qui tremble. Nous
pensons souvent que son rôle est de nous éclairer, mais que notre être
est ailleurs. Et pourtant, c’est cette clarté qui est nous-même. Quand
elle décroît, c’est notre existence qui fléchit ; quand elle s’éteint, c’est
notre existence qui cesse.
Pourquoi dire qu’elle nous donne de ce qui est l’image la plus imparfaite? Cette image est pour nous le véritable univers : nous n’en
connaîtrons jamais d’autre. Pourquoi dire qu’elle nous enferme dans
une solitude où nous ne trouverons jamais de compagnon ? C’est elle
qui donne un sens aux mots société, amitié ou amour. C’est en elle
que se forme le désir, mais aussi le sentiment de la possession, qui
est la possession elle-même.
Lorsque la conscience cherche un objet en dehors d’elle et souffre
de ne pouvoir l’atteindre, c’est qu’elle souffre de ses limites et qu’elle
cherche seulement à grandir. Car il ne peut y avoir d’objet pour elle
que celui qu’elle est capable de contenir. On peut bien dire qu’elle est enfermée en elle-même comme dans une prison : c’est une prison dont
les murs reculent indéfiniment.
Mais qui pourrait penser que la conscience est une prison, sinon
celui qui clôt toutes ses ouvertures ? Lorsque la conscience naît, l’être
commence à se libérer des chaînes de la matière ; il pressent son indé-
pendance : une carrière infinie s’étend devant lui qui surpasse toujours
ses forces et jamais son espoir. À mesure que la conscience croît, elle
devient plus accueillante ; le monde entier lui est révélé ; elle communique
avec lui et une joie la remplit de trouver autour d’elle tant de
mains qui se tendent.
>>
>>17484407
A simple way to understand Buddhism is to take as an example something you are involved with in life and see how that interest arose, how it has been sustained, and how it could cease.

Suppose there is a musician in his mid-20s trying to hit the big time. Well, he didn't just appear out of nowhere with instruments and musical abilities, he had to acquire and learn them. If we trace back his life, at some point in his childhood we see he heard music and decided to become a musician. He thought about it all the time and convinced his parents to get him a guitar. He began to learn as much as possible. He started writing songs. He joined a band. On and on until he finds himself in his mid 20s. Now, he sustains this by continuing to do the same things and thinking of himself as a musician with a future in music. The force of his past actions have conditioned his present dispositions. He finds it difficult to do anything else. Now, this could continue indefinitely into his old age... or it could come to a cessation, if he abandons the craving and clinging he has towards music and being a musician, by focusing on the downsides of it rather than the alluring aspects of it which so far lured him on. If he roots out his craving for it, clinging will cease; as craving and clinging cease, becoming ie his life process modified by the past towards more involvement with music will cease as well. As craving, clinging, becoming cease, so will the generation of new situations related to that mode of being. He will no longer be a musician.

The above example can be "enlarged" to see the Buddhist perspective of Samsara and Nirvana. The former continues because its fuel (clinging) is constantly being regenerated by craving; if that craving were to cease, the fuel would run out, exhaust itself, and the fire of becoming would go out, go extinct, which is Nirvana.
>>
Like people worry too much about stupid shit. That we have a broken categorization system. Things like that. You didn't mention how it makes you feel tho.
>>
>>17484404
>agree with the Kaccayana-gotta Sutta in the Nidana Vagga of Samyutta Nikaya collection. Nagarjuna quotes it specifically in his Mulamadhyamakakarika.
>>
>>17478527

Am I an unborn (or an egg of) spoopy scary skellington?
That makes me glad, actually…
>>
>>17484431
what made you use being a musician as a subject? Just curious.
>>
File: 4568.jpg (34 KB, 272x286) Image search: [Google]
4568.jpg
34 KB, 272x286
>>17484404

>>17478580 here. Agree with your overview.. i'll expand my take on those concepts based on personal experience.

Core texts say and explain a lot of truths, but I find the power and influence of such words are heavily diminished in this world of uncertainty. If we could speak about suffering in such a way that liberation would be henceforth accepted and held as the top priority in life at all times, then all would be well.

Unfortunately, the intellect cannot be convinced to this degree. Its restless nature is filled with likes and dislikes, and when things seem to be useful one moment but not the next, then doubt once again wipes away all notions of absolute certainty. As a result, satisfaction and contentment once again disappear and so the perpetual cycle of craving, grasping, and loss continues on. Little can be done from such a state; it is all to easy to fall prey to distractions, whether it be temptation or aversion. The root of these mental attachments needs to be addressed directly and extinguished for good.

This is why I believe written truths are supplementary assets when it comes to establishing tranquility of mind and ultimately the permanent realization of absolute truth. I side with the view that the practice of concentrated investigation is the primary means towards overpowering all forces which seek to obstruct or obscure stability and clarity of mind. For it is only from this empty state of mind that permanent, absolute truth is capable of being experienced.
>>
>>17486526

cont.

By investigation I am referring to the meditative practice of directing the empty awareness towards experiencing the inherent empty nature of all form-based phenomena, whether it be external or interal. In this way, the root of all attachments becomes increasingly exposed, that is, the fundamental source of ignorance which masquerades as the "self" and creates the illusory "solid" appearances of conditioned phenomena. When this is seen as empty, its movement becomes stifled. Its movement is recognized as another manifestation of form, which is inherently empty, just like the objects which it seeks to label as "good" or "bad". In this way, ignorance ceases to "be" (simliar to darkness disappearing in the presence of light) and so its grip and control over the mind weakens.

It is at this point where I find all of the core texts truly become powerful influences capable of fulfilling their intended purpose. Here they not only function on the level of the intellect, they now also serve as empowering sources of unstoppable motivation for the heart. This makes concentration incredibly strong and energized, eventually intensifying to the point of becoming constant.
>>
>>17478511
Your mind extends into your nerves with feeling. With extreme sensitivity to life, you leave the mind and live more in your nerves. Then you sense the vibrations of nature in your nerves and can exist beyond them as subtle fields of energy. Then you are subtle energy of extreme sensitivity you no longer need to use your mind or body to sense the world.
>>
Not the brain nor mind. For it's the soul

We are all in all
>>
It makes me feel. Like not killing myself, weird but thanks op
>>
OP there is the existence of the soul and that which is spiritual
>>
>>17478511
The level of communication between the brain and the body makes both parts of the same experience.
An engine may power the car but the wheels are no less a part of that car.
Without the brain the body is nothing but the same is true of the reverse.
Would you feel without nerve endings? Would you see without eyes or hear with no brain to perceive these inputs? In fact our body communicates with itself as well.
>>
>>17480466
Then why do some people cite personality changes after having organ transplants?
>>
File: cactus junk.jpg (13 KB, 369x136) Image search: [Google]
cactus junk.jpg
13 KB, 369x136
>>17478511
>>
>>17489469
Do you think a person's personality is part of the soul? Changing parts of the chariot can affect other parts. Including the intelligence and ego
>>
>>17489469
>Then why do some people cite personality changes after having organ transplants?
Agree,there are many stories as such.
With very strong and drastic changes in personality, with new food choices,talent to play musical instrument that organ donor played, vocabulary,clothing, etc.etc.ect
>>
>>17490398
the soul exists (citation needed)
>>
>>17490447
You ARE the soul. Bhagavad-Gita, Chapter 2 (specifically verses 12-25) and Chapter 13. I doubt you accept my source.

If you wish, just consider my view a more complex version of dualism and "the soul" is qualia. The soul is immaterial and cannot be located/identified through material means, but has three symptoms that can be subjectively observed, all stemming from a base of consciousness or awareness.

sat - eternality, that part of you that does not change is a symptom of the soul
cit - knowledge - that part that doesn't just hold data like a wiki, but KNOWS the data, realizes it, is a symptom of the soul
ananda - bliss - that part that suffers or enjoys is a symptom of a soul

Bg 13.30 — One who can see that all activities are performed by the body, which is created of material nature, and sees that the self does nothing, actually sees.
Bg 13.32 — Those with the vision of eternity can see that the imperishable soul is transcendental, eternal, and beyond the modes of nature. Despite contact with the material body, O Arjuna, the soul neither does anything nor is entangled.
Bg 13.34 — O son of Bharata, as the sun alone illuminates all this universe, so does the living entity, one within the body, illuminate the entire body by consciousness.
>>
Its all egocentric bullshit.

The real truth is "you" are not a singular anything. Just a combination of billions upon billions of adaptions of genetic code over time. Skin, fingers, hair, consciousness, are all adaptions created over time to help your genes stay "alive" your existence is an illusion created by your genes as a way to survive.
>>
>>17478527
>facebook tier inspirational picture
literally cancer
>>
>>17478511
>recently read a pasta

>Keep on Scrollin
>>
>>17492395
Nah it's actually somewhat interesting. I almost did the same thing though lol
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.