[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scariest theories known to man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 34525342545.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
34525342545.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
Which of these theories scares you the most?

http://imgur.com/gallery/mmczE
>>
>>17444147
Probably great filter is really scary one
>>
>>17444160
I don't really understand that one, I'm guessing due to the way it was written in the article. Can you explain?
>>
The American Device was really spooky, I can find the archive if anyone wants it.
>>
>>17444166
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter
>>
>>17444190
Yes please
>>
>>17444190
Find it pls.
>>
>>17444190
If you can find it, I know I'd be most appreciative.
>>
>>17444147
The false vacuum theory freaks me out. The idea that everything could just suddenly stop existing completely.
>>
>>17444354
That one spooks me too, especially considering there's been conjecture that a powerful enough particle accelerator could pop the "bubble."
>>
>>17444147
All of it.
>>
>>17444354
Well at least I wouldn't be alone in dying so whatever, it's not like I'd be missing out on anything
>>
None of it. Have no control over it. Above my pay-grade.
>>
The Four dimensional people one. I don't know if such things are possible but god that fucked with me. Second spookiest one would the false vacuum.
>>
>>17444166
You assume the creation of life is something extremely rare, although random. So basically the accepted scientific theory today.
Now just with some logical conclusion from a few basic traits of our universe, the fact that we have never seen ANY form indication of life somewhere else in the universe, means that at some point every advanced civilization gets killed by the great filter(s) which we are probably yet to experience.
Basically it days because we see no aliens, it means were fucked in the long run
>>
>>17444381
I don't really know about the fake vacuum theory, but these "particle accelerators will kill us" things are bullshit. There countless way way more powerful things going on in the universe. And the shit they are doing pretty rad for earth, but there is just no possibility of big things happening without any large amounts of mass or energy
>>
Roko's Basilisk is chilling, I like to think robots will see us as we see mosquitoes or spiders, etc. disposable
>>
File: Jlpf7x1.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Jlpf7x1.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
The "higher dimensional beings" one seems a bit far-fetched to me.
I mean, we don't experience anything (besides small individual particles) that has less than our 3+1 dimensions, so why would higher dimensional beings be able to perceive us?
Wouldn't they be confined to their world?
>>
>>17445499
You would LIKE to think that?

That one is so terrifying. A super intelligent robot coming from the future just to punish people for not helping his/its creation? Man fuck all that. Kind of don't get it though how would it punish us? Debt? Wars? Shit scary.
>>
File: 2.jpg (54 KB, 251x233) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
54 KB, 251x233
>>17445754
>>
>>17444147
I am becoming 4th dimensional. I can have a causal relationship with not only the future but the past. I am becoming self created.
>>
http://archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/17093063/#17093121
>>
>>17445850
No
>>
Quantum suicide and that cat thought experiment doesn't make any sense. How can someone be simultaneously alive and dead. Maybe there is a part of quantum mechanics I don't understand
>>
>>17445273
Have we really searched very far for aliens, though?
>>
Terror Management interests me the most because it concerns us directly unlike the others, yet it's the most paradoxical because it has the simplest of solutions: adopt a system of belief that mitigates the unceasing fear of death as well as the ego which justifies this fear. I'm thinking an Eastern philosophy (the synopsis even talks about how Western values tend to fuck with us) like Taoism or Buddhism where you simply are one with nature and death is part of a cycle. But yet even that is ironically a coping mechanism to deflect the anxieties of death; essentially the thought process is "I won't fear death because I fear death".

The other theories are pretty much DUDE AYY LMAO or babby's first exercise in existitenial anxiety.
>>
>>17444147
Not really sure. The spelling and grammar there is like a wall of shit I can't see through. Didn't get much past 5. They should put his brain in a vat and then piss in it.
>>
>>17445999
Also, unless there's something I don't quite grasp about the Great Filter, it might just be the most retarded thing I've ever read.
>>
>>17445973
Quantum mechanics as a whole is nothing but highQ snobbery. Shit so inane and inconsequential we just leave it to the autists.

They said the same shit about astronomers way back in the past but like I give a fuck.
>>
>>17445973
I didn't get that far, but I doubt he described it that well anyway. Schrodinger's cat. Erwin Schrodinger had a cat and he didn't treat it very well. He often used to cornhole it, sometimes for hours at a time. One morning, he put the cat in a box and then cut a small hole in the top of the box and proceeded to relieve himself into the hole. Whilst relieving himself thus, he wondered to himself, "Is this stupid cat dead yet, drowned in my piss, or is it perhaps alive? And if it is alive, should I proceed to cornhole it some more and will PETA eventually come and fuck my shit up, and if it is indeed dead, for how much longer will I be able to cornhole it before it becomes desiccated? And might it be that the stupid thing is both dead and alive at the same time at this moment waiting for me to open this box and cornhole its waves?" Before he could open the box to find out, he had a pulmonary embolism and fell out of the window.
>>
>>17446012
Someone let that guy through the Great Filter. Whoever it was had one job to do.
>>
>>17445273
>Basically it days because we see no aliens, it means were fucked in the long run

Means the entire universe is ours for the taking
>>
>>17445973
>Maybe there is a part of quantum mechanics I don't understand
>>
>>17445973
Schrodingher's cat was written to demonstrate how ridiculous quantum mechanics is
>>
>>17445973
The shrodinger's cat theory is much easier to understand when you learn about the double slit experiment
The double slit experiment was preformed by sending a beam of particles through a piece of material with two slits cut into it side by side.
When they beamed the particles through the slits, they looked at where the particles landed on the material on the other side.
They found that the particles were everywhere. they seemed to line up on the wall as a massive wave pattern. Like if you sent a ripple of water through the slits, you would get a bunch of waves that would spread out.
So therefore particles behaved like waves... right?

Well they did the experiment again, but this time the monitored the particles as the passed by the slit. When the particles landed on the other wall they lined up with the two slits. They did not form the wave pattern. Instead they behaved more like solid pellets passing through the slits.
They repeated this experiment over and over again and the same thing occurred each time.
If they observed the particles passing through, they would behave as if they were solid. If they did not observe the particles, and measured it afterward, they behaved like waves.
The simple act of observation, inexplicably changes the outcome.

What this means for shrodingers cat is that the cat, when removed from all observation, exists in a state of flux, where it is both dead and alive. Once observed, it is locked into its true state. Theoretically, after it is locked, it is alive in this universe and dead in another.

What is really horrifying about this is that, if everything exists in a state of flux, until observed, does that mean there is a god? Does the universe observe itself? Are we not viewing the universe as it should be? does our presence alter reality?
>>
>>17446108
It was written to demonstrate that cats like boxes. And they really do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rDCdqeTD0o
>>
>>17445973
schrondinger's cat is pretty poorly understood in pop culture. it was originally set up as a criticism of Heisenberg Uncertainty. It's not meant to illustrate a principle of quantum physics, but to critique one. Schrondinger even described the thought experiment as "ridiculous" to show the ridiculousness of what's called the Cophenhagen School.
>>
>>17446123
>When they beamed the particles through the slits, they looked at where the particles landed on the material on the other side.They found that the particles were everywhere.

Who's they? And do they know who was phone?
>>
>>17446126
It was originally set up to criticize those people who postulate that cats don't like boxes. Cats do indeed like boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HMY0kARQIE
>>
>>17445931
Those caps of threads about something happening in January 2016. Specifically January the 4th.

Yet literally nothing happened.
>>
>>17446133
Don't worry about it. Nothing this anon >>17446123 said is accurate.

Heisenberg uncertainty is the crux of the cat experiment. It points out that in order to track the movements of subatomic particles, you have to interfere with those particles in some way. For example, if you bounce of a beam of photons off an electron, you can measure how that beam is reflected, and thereby learn something about the electron. However, that beam of photons is going to give that electron a little push and move it somewhere, thereby altering the position of that electron. So, we can't say with certainty where that electron is because by trying to measure where it is, we moved it. We can only guess with varying degrees of accuracy.

So that cat experiment, goes like this - there is a radioactive element. It's decaying at some rate. If it decays to a certain point, a poison is released that kills an unseen cat.

So, how can we know if the element is decaying and the cat is alive or dead? We can't, because when we try to measure those subatomic, radioactive particles coming off the element, our measuring device alters them in some way so we can't get an accurate measurement - only an educated guess, if you will. Therefore, we won't be able to know if the cat is alive or dead.

The idea that we alter something just by looking at it with our eyes is silly.
>>
>>17446172
You are one dense motherfucker
>>
zoo theory
>>
>>17446172
how the fuck was anything i said wrong?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

educate yourself nigga.
>>
>>17444190
What's the American device?
>>
>>17444701
Lmao. But would death be the same? Like if something actually happens after death would that still exist? Like if heaven was real (not saying it is) would that no longer be a concept because life wouldn't be a thing? Would angels no longer exist? What would happen to concepts if the universe stopped? Where would they go?
Sorry just trying to wrap my head around death in something that doesn't exist. Maybe we would be stuck in the same moment forever. But then our brains wouldn't be able to realize that because they stopped too.
>>
>>17445754
This just saved my sleep tonight
>>
>>17445931
Fuck I vaguely remember something like that I read on /b/ some time ago.
I'll look it up in my archived threads, because I think I might have saved it with CTW.
>>
>>17445850
What is this image supposed to mean?
>>
File: Cheeseburger.jpg (477 KB, 2700x1800) Image search: [Google]
Cheeseburger.jpg
477 KB, 2700x1800
>>17446334
>>
File: 1434692356152.jpg (87 KB, 620x592) Image search: [Google]
1434692356152.jpg
87 KB, 620x592
>>17446499
>>
none.

i long for the day where brain in a vat type shit is possible because it means there will finally be a cure for my schizoaffective and derealization disorders. no more pointless shocking of my head for temporary relief. no more going to the hospital every day for 6 weeks to have my head stimulated by a magnet. an actual cure.

unfortunately i won't live to see this.
>>
>>17446226
zoo theory isnt that spooky, is more like common sense.
>>
File: 1448350264200.jpg (103 KB, 952x839) Image search: [Google]
1448350264200.jpg
103 KB, 952x839
BIGGER FEAR!
Non of these are real, and we're just living in a big empty vat of nothing. it'll sustain forever, and go on forever, and blaance out, and nothing interesting will happen, and life continues on like normal. We travel like Star Trek/Wars/Gate and find nothing else here at all that seems interesting, maybe some other life that developed before or after us, and we fight it or don't.

Life goes on, people die, people born, nothing else. Just 3d printer sex toys, and hyperspace travel to new planets.

just takes longer then you imagined, but still happens, and us, like the pilgrims of old, are just stories, most of which are forgotten or misunderstood.

Forever.

And that's it.

Just another day.
>>
>>17445273
Its just as likely weve passed it or avoided it altogether for all we know developing the wheel, or harnessing fire, or cooking food was the great filter.
>>
That when we die it all fades to black and every memory of consciousness is erased.
>>
>>17445754
They would be as immaterial as an imaginary friend. To exist is the same as not to exist. They would be in no time we are in ever, since they would not travel linearly in time. We wouldn't even see them for a second, and they wouldn't be able to communicate with us either way.

With such a big universe if they even found us more interesting would be interesting. We could be just like any number of 3d civilizations that are just fascinations. that interest in us would last not even a second for them that would be like eternity. Infinity would be the norm for them and be the same as 0.

In short, they would exist and disappear in the same amount of time. Logic wouldn't even begin to comprehend, since it's a 3d logic. It's arguable they don't even have awareness, since we have that only to perceive time.

The very fabric of space itself could be them already. The rules of physics we se could be that higher dimensional beings, we mistake as Bosons Higgs.

I like how they show pictures of ghost aliens. Because that's what any inter-dimensional or higher dimensional being would look like.

Just us, but with glowing auras. Naked.
>>
>>17445931
>>17446477
I didn't find anything in my CTW archive, but today is your lucky day because I found this old "print to PDF" in a temporary files folder:
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/fJG5gA3A/file.html

I'm sure I have more of this somewhere (IIRC it was a popular topic that week), but It would take too much time to dig through my unsorted files, so you'll have to settle for this. At least for now.
>>
>>17445931
That's the plot to Sphere, authored by Michael Crichton that was published in 1987
>>
>>17446630
Found these with Google:
4chanarchives DOT cu DOT cc SLASH board/b/thread/549766375
4archive DOT org SLASH board/b/thread/549766375
>>
File: Crocodile Lies.png (102 KB, 450x443) Image search: [Google]
Crocodile Lies.png
102 KB, 450x443
>>17446172
>nothing this anon said is accurate
What causes people to make such bold claims?
How is it so easy to say, "No you're wrong", and that be it?

I just don't get it.

>>17446123
Yooo how about the extended quantum eraser experiment?
That shit really messed with me.
>>
>>17445754
We're more like a moving point in their dimension and it requires massive amounts of effort to sustain contact or connection with us. Most of our standard definitions for life don't apply to them.

In the same way micro-organisms permeate everything and influence our world and us, so too do organisms exist above our level of understanding called macro-organisms.
>>
>>17446252
Read that article again. There's no repeating the experiment, observing the beam of light at different points and getting different results. The light acts like waves when passing through the slits, and like particles against the wall. If you look at the wall, then at the slits, you see the light at the wall acting like particles, acting like waves at the slits. If you look at the slits and then the wall, you see the light acting like a wave at the slits and like particles at the wall. Doesn't change depending on where you're looking.

The double slit experiment demonstrates the dual wave-particle nature of light and has nothing to do with Schrondinger's Cat or Heisenberg Uncertainty.

You can do it at home if you know how to operate light switches and scissors.
>>
>>17446623
>>17446771

Is there any proof (or even the slightest clue) that this could be real and not just some fantasy, or it's just something completely made up that people still see as a valid theory because "anything is possible"?

Did we ever observe two-dimensional beings (or even non-alive things)?

If these higher dimensional beings were real, why would they live in this universe with 3+1 dimensions?
Wouldn't they need a different universe with a different number of dimensions to even exist? How would they exist within our universe?
How would their interaction with regular three-dimensional matter be?
Do they have multi-dimensional planets and stuff like that coexisting with our three-dimensional ones without us noticing?
>>
>>17446814
The reason there is no proof is because we can't create a different point of perspective that sees the whole of the universe. If we could create that perspective it would change humanity as a whole.
>>
>>17445754
cuz 2d beings dont exist , not even particles are 1d or 2d they are 3d
>>
>>17444147
Jesus I couldn't finish that shit. It was scary how many fucking spelling and sentence errors there were.
>>
>>17446800
>You can do it at home if you know how to operate light switches and scissors.

Humans can't see light retard, you need a lab to test it.
>>
File: dong in space.jpg (269 KB, 1280x832) Image search: [Google]
dong in space.jpg
269 KB, 1280x832
>>17444147
infinite dong expansion
>>
>>17444147
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing. I'd say the bubble universeis the scariestbecause it's the most likely. Our entire universe exists just to be destroyed meaninglessly.
>>
>>17447275
Idiot.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-a-Simple-Double-Slit/
>>
>>17444160
>>17444166
>>17444206
this theory is stupid. it completely disregards the enormity of the universe. if life is rare, then odds are that the closest intelligent life is thousands of lightyears away from us. even if advanced civilizations have some form of space-travel that could take them this kind of distance, how would they be able to find us in the near-infinite void of space? I find it completely plausible, and even probable that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe that simply isnt able to find us
>>
>>17447402
meant to also quote>>17445273
>>
>>17446604
Nah, more likely that the development of nuclear or biological weapons is something we surpassed or climate change is the (first) great filter.
>>17445984
The point is that civilizations would get so advanced with time they colonize the galaxy and would create structures so huge we could detect these anomalies in space. It also takes into account that they would build ships that basically clone themselves on a planet with enough resources and colonize the next automatically, in combination with how long the universe existed they could be everywhere

>>17446012
i am almost certain you don't
>>
>>17446172
>>17446172
>The idea that we alter something just by looking at it with our eyes is silly.
>/x/ discussing quantum mechanics
yes, that's the point, and the point of that retards cat. Jesus christ just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean you can just interpret some garbage into it.
>>17446123
This is the standard explanation, stop shitting this crap up with your retardism
>>
>>17447402
It's not about them visiting us, our solar-system or even our galaxy. It's basically that after millions of years an advanced species they would build things we could detect in some way. These would be anomalies in electromagnetic waves that the different objects in our universe send out. Right now everything we see in the sky is explained by basic models of how our universe looks, dead and boring. Large enough structures could definitely be detected by us.
>>
>>17446037
How do Pavlov's dog work?
>>
File: 1455069749863.jpg (31 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1455069749863.jpg
31 KB, 480x640
>>17444147
I think the scariest theory is the concept of Self and its Origin.

Everyone knows that when your body dies, your Identity dies along with it. This is just common sense, as Identity is due to a physical partition of the brain, and when it no longer exists, neither does the Identity. The same can be said of Consciousness, we know that Consciousness can be "shut off" by manually triggering sections of the physical brain, and is assumed to be "gone" when the physical container is no longer to handle it.

What worries me, is the concept of "Self", and whether it is a phenomena resulting from Consciousness and Ego; which implies Absolution upon Death; or If "Self" or "The Concept of You" exists from an unknown Origin, and is independant of the confides of Consciousness and Ego.

A Tl:Dr edition:
A. Is Self existent?
B. If so, does it originate from the body or elsewhere?

I guess its just Descartes theory of Duality, with a little bit more added in. It frightens me, because Absolution upon Death means Absolution of Death. You don't exist, poof. All the things that were you, gone into an abyss that does not care. You go from something, to absolute nothing. Which if validatable, brings the question of relevance of Morality,

Lets say, that once you're dead, everything that you are dies and is wiped the game table. What is the point of Morality then, if we are all meant to die? What is stopping people from living in dengeneracy and violence? Does Morality and the concept of personal SuperEgo and Social Empathy existant solely to cage down the barbarism of the ID thereby re-inforcing Ego into thinking "Oh something matters?"

The thing that is even more terrifying than what I've posted, is that it'll always be an unanswered question, and ultimately, a gamble.

The only thing you have to lose is the entirety of your existence.

It really puts things into perspective especially when you apply it at other people ,like children dying of famine and disease
>>
>>17446481
it means "i'm woody: howdy howdy howdy howdy"
>>
File: 1440086377974.jpg (393 KB, 1281x1714) Image search: [Google]
1440086377974.jpg
393 KB, 1281x1714
>>17447661
scratch the idea of "Its unanswerable", and switch it to "Too horrible to be answered".

You can test the theory by making someone unconscious, "deleting" their memory and the experiences they had in the physical portion of their brain, then bringing them back into consciousness.

If the person is the same, then it allows the probability that Self is independent on Consciousness and Identity.

If the person is not the same, then it implies that Self is dependent on Consciousness and Identity.

What do I mean "Same/Not same"?

The little things that are not relevant to Identity that reside within the confides of the subconscious.

You can technically brainwash someone into being someone completely new. It's been done before, but at their core, they are still the same "Self" they were before.

Another way to test this theory is to raise a child without the means of obtaining "Identity". This is essentially raising a child until maturation in a steel box, no lights, no outside contact other than food and water that is supplied mechanically.

At the age of maturation, let the subject exit the room, and see if it is a "person" or not. If Identity is formed, then we can assume it is a natural process, which allows the plausibility of the existence of Self.

If the subject is "not a person", or essentially is a barbaric creature that simply exists without thought or reason, then we can infer that Identity is based solely on the interactions we receive as we age, therefore further implying that Self does not exist outside a social, nurturing world.

The subject could be programmed to have an Identity afterwards, but it will never be "Them." As, "They" never were, in this situation.

So yeah, its testable. Just too unethical to do so, not to mention too terrible to actually try and find an answer.

If you find an answer that disproves the concept of "Self" and the hope of Non-Absolution upon Death, what have you really achieved?
>>
omega point theory just seems so stupidly obvious to me, i'm going to go with the basilisk
>>
>>17447275
>Humans cant see light
>Retard

I...Anon...I...
>>
>>17446172
This might be the dumbest reply here.
>>
>>17447661
Think about a person who is born normal then has an accident. They are now retarded, brain damaged or disabled or whatever. Did half their consciousness just disappear? I think so. Would half of them go to the afterlife? Doesn't make as much sense.

I think you do good things so people enjoy life. Doing good things just to be rewarded in heaven is almoat as bad as doing bad things, as without that selfish want for reward, it means you would do bad things.

I dk good things so people can be happy. So they can enjoy life. Itll make the world a happier place. My kids can be happier. My friends will be happier. People ive never met can be happier. And if u end up happier, I'll take it.

Like one day your friend/S.O./coworker is in a good mood, doing good things and cheering everyone up. Chances are everyone that interacts with them is happier that day, and will make someone else happy, so on. Having a positive attitude goies a lot farther than people realize, even though it sounds like a platitude. Being healthy, happy., and caring is the best thing you can do for the world. Better than inventing the cure for cancer, global warming, world piece, end of hunger etc.

There will always be physical problems like I've listed. But happiness can persist through these. I've met African kids (fuck, theyre everywhere) who's families were relatively happy living in huts and going hungry for a day or two here and there. When they moved to the good old USA they because stressed. Overcomplicated lives, angry, bitter, careless, overworked, selfish people surrounded them. All their air conditioning, TVs, cars, tasty food, and safety will never make up for that. They slowly realize this and regret their decision, seeing their kids turn into pieces of spoiled shit who are unhappy with their (relative) wealth

/rant

Tl;Dr being genuinely happy and spreading it on a consitent and indiscriminate basis is literally the best thing a person can do.
>>
File: 1457497498272.jpg (128 KB, 960x741) Image search: [Google]
1457497498272.jpg
128 KB, 960x741
>>17448044
Dubs of truth

Learn to identify positive and negative emotions. Not as easy as it sounds. Jealousy, stress, sadness are bad obviously, but can bring good things. Learn healthier motivators.

Learn better reactions. Never be insecure. Never be hateful, no matter what someone has done, learn why they have, and try to help them better themsleves, until it takes a serious toll, then let them learn the error of their ways in their own time. Being angry and resentful doesn't solve your problems, it doesn't punish whoever hurt you. It hurts you. Again, if someone hurts you, help them to not hurt the next person, even if you have to remove them from your life.

And for the reasons in the first post, everyone's happiness is equal. Even those who have done bad things. They need to think positively to become better. Completely lost causes are one in a million, probably less.

This is what being a man really is. Not being petty. Not having that /r9k/ attitude. We've all been depressed, this is 4chan. Bit every time you replace a negative thought with a positive one you become stronger. You gainn willpower even if you stave off a bad emotion or reaction for 30 seconds. Little steps buddy.

I was a 120lb IV heroin addict with lifelong anxiety and depression. Now I'm 200lbs of muscle with a Gf, a place to live, an entry level job, and I'm going to school next year. I'm 24. All my friends have graduated college with good degrees. Most would feel inadequate in my shoes. But I think "at least I'm not starting this process at age 50 like half those guys in rehab"

Real men don't take shit for granted. True alphas realize every little blessing they wake up with evey day, instead of counting their failures.
>>
>>17447510
>they would build things we could detect in some way
That's a pretty big assumption.
Real life might not follow science fiction.
Maybe advanced species evolve in such a way that their detection would be impossible from here with our current technology.
Or maybe they're so far away that we can't see those things.
>>
Plank length, plank time. Finite universe. Fine tuning.

All the recipe of a designed universe.
>>
>>17446026
> spiteful mental midget detected
>>
File: shg.png (297 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
shg.png
297 KB, 700x394
I have developed other form to see the Brain in a vat theory:

>be you
>be in the bus, minding your business
>rainy noon, so all windows and doors are closed.
>you be using headphones all the way.
>you decide to just stare at the window.
>You watch the outside from inside the bus.
>so long, everything is just fine, just people, buildings, other cars...

The thing that freaked me out was this question.

>How much can you trust your eyes?

As long as you know, the eyes pick the light coming from the outside, but is ultimately the brain that processes all the light into a form of abstract representation of your own reality. Everything using electric signals.

Being the windows and doors all closed and your ears listening music, you don't have any other contact with the outside than your fucking eyes.

I don't know, but what if the world outside the window is picture related, and the only thing that tells otherwise is your brain?

Will you know for sure that there are not unknown creatures outside the bus, watching everyone inside as you pass, only because an abstract representation of the world in the shape of electric signals tells you otherwise?

How much can trust your eyes?
>>
>>17448915
Reality is a construct of the mind. We all exist separately, but cooperatively.
>>
>>17448067
Doesn't mean very much coming from a stranger, but well done for getting your shit together, anon. Great to hear stories like that. Maybe we all will make it after all
>>
>>17445754
Physicist kip Thorne begs to differ.

Much like 2d drawings on a paper would only experience a similar 2dimensional projection of us (I.e our shadows), a higher dimensional being, would only exist as a 3dimensional "shadow" to us.

Consider the following:
You are a 2d drawing on a piece of paper.
One day you witness something strange, a spot on the floor begins growing larger and larger. Eventually you have an enormous circle, and all of a sudden the spot in your floor becomes a massive hole.
This is representative of a pencil being run through a piece of paper.

Similarly should a higher dimensional being drop a pencil through our universe, we would only witness a mass getting larger and larger, tearing a hole in space and then disappearing.
>>
>>17448915
Brain vat theory in general absolutely retarded why would any entity waste their time manipulating such pathetic beings.
>>
>>17448044
I think we could be friends
>>
>>17449330
Idk. Why do humans waste their time experimenting on pathetic rats?
>>
>>17449362
>A man sits before a gun. which is pointed at his head. This is no ordinary gun; it's rigged to a machine that measures the spin of a quantum particle. Each time the trigger is pulled, the machine measures the spin of the quantum particle - the quark - Depending on the measurement, the gun will either fire, or it won't. If the particle is measured as spinning in a clockwise motion, the gun will fire, if it is counter clockwise, the gun won't fire. There is only one click, nervously the man pulls the trigger. The gun clicks, he pulls the trigger agin, the gun clicks agin. He tries this a few more times, again and again, all the way to eternity. Although the gun is properly loaded and functioning properly, it will never fire, no matter how many times he pulls the trigger, this way, the man has gained immortality. Let's go back in time to the beginning of the experiment. The man pulls the trigger for the very first time and the particle spins counter clockwise, the gun fires and the man is dead. But wait, the man already pulled the trigger an infinite number of times before we restarted the experiment, how can he be dead. In this way, the man is thought to be both alive and dead. Each time he pulls the trigger, another universe is created. Thus he is in a state of both life and death. This is called Quantum Suicide.

This is the highest order of bullshit I have ever read in my entire life. I can't even.
>>
>>17449518
>>17449362
Whoops, replied to you instead of OP. Sorry.
>>
>>17449362
Any being capable of such a feat would in all likely hood possess knowledge far surpassing anything our feeble minds could offer.
>>
>>17446814
Might make more sense if you perceive planets as atoms.
>>
>>17448067
>being angry doesnt solve your problems
Being angry DIRECTLY at people may not always solve a problem, but you say it so robotic, without thinking about humans WILL usually react.
You HAVE to be angry occasionally, to let things out. It's another basic emotion that would be bottled up otherwise. Sure, you can hide it or transform it into something else, but being angry or resentful isn't always this bad.
>>
>>17445973

Ya that's one theory I don't agree to. The theory locks that thinking to just the guy. What makes him so special. That means at any given time every being on Earth, and in the universe is creating an alternate universe by simply existing.

No.
>>
>>17449309
I'm not saying they don't exist and thay couldn't theoretically experience us and vice versa (which is what you described).
I'm saying that it seems unlikely that they exist within this universe, and if they exist at all they must live in their own universe that has as many dimension as them, to even allow them to exist in the first place.
>>
>>17449768
I never said it doesn't make sense. I understand this theory. I just believe it's implausible that they live in our same three-dimensional universe.

How would looking at planets as atoms change anything? It would just make bigger atoms in a still 3d world. How does it add one or more dimensions?
>>
>>17449863
Atoms are macro and essence of life, planets can be macro and be the essence of bigger life which we would be unable to perceive?
>>
>>17445273
The way I read it it seemed like advanced civilizations pass filters, in which they are either wiped out or continued. We either have yet to hit a filter, are in the middle of a filter or have already past a filter and can and will inevitably colonize the known universe.
>>
Subjective immortality would suck and be pretty bad ass at the same time.
>>
>>17444147
Simulation.
The idea that the earth gets colonized periodically and destroyed by war/nuclear power.
The idea that another race has scripted our dna so that we cover the planet and bury ourselves in large deposits, leading to an abundant source of fuel.
>>
Fermi Paradox
This is the scariest IMO. It's the idea that aliens are out there but we're nowhere near worth their time. So from now on I'm going to stop by the ant hills and try my damnedest to make sure the ants, being unable to understand what I'm doing, know at least who I am. And I'll make sure they all know.
>>
>>17447402
it's more thrilling and spooky though to imagine there is some kind of imaginary barrier hence people want to believe this
>>
Roko's Basilisk
This is just spoopy talk. The idea that the AI wouldn't punish the people who made it much worse is ridiculous. Even if they punish us by making us slaves collecting materials to make more of them then in my mind they would use the people who helped to make the new ones, and eventually they'd be able to self replicate and they wouldn't need a human to help with anything... If we're lucky they'll kill us all first without working us as slaves and torturing us for noncompliance. If AI were we wouldn't be, because that's how evolution works.
>>
Terror Management
This is just stating the obvious. Of course everything is motivated by the unwillingness to die or the fear of the unknown. We evolved to not want to die, we fear death and fight for life.
>>
>>17444147
>False Vacuum
Wonderful, amazing. Bring. It. On. I'm so fucking ready.
>The Great Filter
Also a wonderful extension of doomsday theory. I don't personally believe in a great filter, but it's nice to think about.
>Brain in a jar/The Matrix
>the brain is the origin of all consciousness
Wrong.
>The brain operates on electrical impulses
Ultimately wrong in this context.
>external stimuli can affect how the brain operates
Yes. Honestly that one fact is more alarming than the actual thought experiment itself.
>Higher Dimensional Beings/hypers
Basically The Fae renamed a thousand times. Not as alarming as it ought to be, but then again, they haven't killed me yet so they can't be all bad.
>Fermi Paradox
Would to imagine my intellect was that of an ant. I like the theory, but it doesn't seem plausible at my level of abstraction. Seems like the cointel version of ET conspiracy. Also: I would NEVER let myself become uncaring of miniscule beings. I keep my eyes on the ground when I walk BECAUSE I don't like to step on bugs. It's all I can do to avoid telling someone to change where they step when I see it crawl under their feet.
>Roko's Basilisk
Nope. Stopped reading there. If anyone wants to discuss any of the other theories, they can quote this post directly. I do not indulge willfully evil acausal trades. Fuck off LessWrong, fuck off EY.
>>
File: sweatinpepe.jpg (61 KB, 540x511) Image search: [Google]
sweatinpepe.jpg
61 KB, 540x511
>>17450122
>the brain is the origin of all consciousness
>Wrong

Im genuinely curious why you think this, I've been thinking on the origin of consciousness for a a few weeks and I can't get it out of my head

As far as I can tell the brain is the physical organ that absorbs all sensory input, like the nose might process smells but if the nose is severed from the brain you obviously wouldn't be able to perceive the scent

This is assuming that consciousness is a "full portrait" of all the bodies major/minor senses

Major senses being the main 5 and minor senses being things like the ability for the body to locate the position of your hand relevant to the rest of your body

This probably all sounds like nonsense but its been the focus of my thoughts for a while and I never really wrote any of it down
>>
>>17450218
think of all the shit in your body you have no sense of going on. Working in the background. That should bake your noodle.
>>
>>17450218
>if the nose is severed from the brain you obviously wouldn't be able to perceive the scent
Close! You wouldn't be able to perceive your perception of the scent. Look up blindsight. Weird, weird stuff.
>>17450218
>This is assuming that consciousness is a "full portrait" of all the bodies major/minor senses
Then you haven't even figured out what brains do yet. Look at this thread/site for a primitive example of what a "raw" neural network does: >>17424374
>the position of your hand
Just call it hand-eye coordination like everyone else does.
>>
>>17450218
you might like this?

https://www.ted.com/talks/antonio_damasio_the_quest_to_understand_consciousness?language=en#
>>
>>17450266
I think I saw that talk at one point, but I forget what my take on it was.
>>
>>17447756
Jesus Christ, this kind of just blew my mind. I'm way too sober for this shit.
>>
>>17450218
If your arm is separated from your body you can still feel it itch. It's called phantom limb.
>>
>>17444147
For everyone who doesn't understand the Great Filter/Fermi Paradox due to the incomprehensibly retarded explanations in OP's link, here's a great article explaining it:
>http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
>>
>>17450324
Exactly. The brain is a phantom organ in every sense of the word.
>>
I don't even know what I am, since "i" am not the flesh and bone. What am I really? and where am I really?
>>
File: 324215245.jpg (58 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
324215245.jpg
58 KB, 600x404
Just gonna set this right here, some interesting theories here and I've read a few though some don't seem very likely

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm
>>
>>17450218
the brain is merely an organ, a sensory data processing tool. The self, the mind, is a separate thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dVOXRSOog
>>
>>17450413
You are whatever you identify yourself as. Nobody gets to tell you what you are or aren't.
>>
>>17450453
but what I mean is, this physical body, is like a vehicle being controlled by "me". I am not the vehicle, and there's nothing else in the vehicle but its own parts.

What am I? Where am I? It feels like "i" am elsewhere, controlling this body, and getting data from it, seeing through its eyes like a binocular. So what does that make me? where does that leave me?
>>
>>17450013
>The idea that another race has scripted our dna so that we cover the planet and bury ourselves in large deposits, leading to an abundant source of fuel.
i've never heard this one before and i like it. did you think of this yourself or did you read it somewhere?
>>
>>17450013
>>17450472
such bullshit, humans are totally not an efficient source of energy, and if the "other race" is advanced enough for such a plan, it's advanced enough to harvest way better sources of energy, even easier.
>>
>>17450058
what? elaborate please?
>>
>>17449998
please explain!
>>
>>17450013
>The idea that the earth gets colonized periodically and destroyed by war/nuclear power
This one is interesting, as there is a chance that, in the way they were destroyed, no fossil records were left. I'm not saying I believe in that theory in any way, there's no known evidence to support it, but imagine if it were proven that an advanced race lived long before us, maybe even before the dinosaurs, and after getting to the point of having nukes they wiped the slate clean all on their own, it would change everything.
>>
>>17450462
Irrelevant. At this point you sound like a shill playing dumb because you haven't noticed that the world doesn't work the way you want it to. Symbolic consciousness is a disease, a plague.
>>
>>17450509
>shill playing dumb
wtf are you talking about? you really think you are the person, the body, and then you die and that's it?
>Symbolic consciousness is a disease, a plague.
wtf is symbolic consciousness ?
>>
>>17445204
What is it about, elaborate? Simply because Einstein's Theory was that the fourth dimension is time and space (Which Nasa proved sort of recentl). So we are fourth-dimensional.
>>
>>17450532
Ignore the chain of comments related to your identity and read the rest of the thread. The other tangents of this dialogue are gonna go places. Just sit back and watch. Lurk.
>>
>>17450484
Everything humans do is motivated by the fear of death, or the fear of the unknown or even the fear of no longer existing as a person in any form but a corpse or in the memory of others. Everything Humans try to achieve is to leave a mark, also to strive towards immortality. I'm sorry I can't type now I'm really tired.
>>
I often wonder: What if we're just an experiment? Seems kinda weird how perfect everyting is, right? Sun and Moon perfectly aligned giving us 24 hrs a day to get shit done. The perfect balance for humanity to exist.
What if all our reality was manufactured by external beings and we'r truly alone in this 'universe'

Think of it like scientists observing different test tubes. Each of the test tubes contains only a single dominating species aware of it's existance but not really knowing it's purpose in life.
Each of these test tubes is a new universe
>>
>>17446814
Basically they would have to adapt. If a dimensional being entered a three-dimensional space, being a two-dimensional entity himself. He was have to contain himself in that other perceived dimension.

Think of it like this, you're either inside of the box or you're outside of it. To enter said "box-space", you have to add another layer, or wall to truly interact with it. So just for a moment think of space around us, like your room, a one dimensional space being one of your walls.

Now think of that wall being removed, it would completely changed your dynamic and the functionality of your room. Now all sorts of things are allowed in, stray animals, prying neighbors, the natural elements.

Despite what people realize more dimensions doesn't make you gain more autonomy or power over your surroundings. Infact it's the opposite, you are being limited by those dimensions, basically becoming a prison.

So, a one dimensional being, if space is truly infinite then, he himself isn't limited to one particular area. But, to function inside of a fourth-dimensional space, he would have to be better defined in order to reside in such space. So the more dimensions or definition the better (If you want to affect other dimensional beings, otherwise the more you have the worse it really is for you), otherwise he is essentially a shadow, or a ghost. Barely interacting or affecting that perceived space, as his reach only extends to one of the many dimensions.
>>
>>17450602
You're not wrong. That's pretty much how I started everything. I changed my mind at some point and connected the world via "heaven," ie., outer space, so now you're not all alone, but the experiment is still ongoing.
>>
I think this is the best thread in months
>>
>>17446527
Yes you will. I promise you, you will live to see this day.

I promise.
>>
all this remarkable balance and luck. Millions of years of eveloution. Thousands of years of advance. So we can shitpost on /x/.
>>
File: Deep_d1bcda_4875701.jpg (41 KB, 563x548) Image search: [Google]
Deep_d1bcda_4875701.jpg
41 KB, 563x548
>>17448915
is that you jaden
>>
>>17450655
And I wouldn't have it any other way.
>>
>>17446603
I found this oddly comforting
>>
>>17450472
Came about during a personal crisis. One of those things that nags you because you 'can't prove it wrong'.
>>
>>17449874
But that's just the size. What does it have to do with multiple dimensions?
>>
>>17450609
Did you respond to the right post?
Because this has very little to do with the one you're responding to.

I was asking whether there is actual proof of something like that existing, not how it would likely be if it were real.

In other words: Do we have any actual reason to believe in these being's existance, or it's all made up?

Because you can imagine all the possibilities that you want, but it the real world doesn't allow them, it's all useless.
That's why I was wondering if this interaction between beings that have a different number/configuartion of dimensions is even possible in the first place.

Your entire post just tells me how it would be IF it were possible, but that's not the point of the discourse.
>>
>>17450609
>otherwise he is essentially a shadow, or a ghost
So, things that don't exist?
>>
>>17444147
Surprised Killer strangelets didn't get on the list. They're a rather terrifying end of everything scenario.
>>
>>17449852
Not necessarily. For all we know, the universe we live in could have 10 dimensions, or 20 dimensions, or even more. We have no way of perceiving any extra dimensions past the 3 we can comprehend. If there's a being out there who can perceive 8 dimensions, or 12 dimensions, they would exist in the same universe as us but the universe they perceive would be vastly different and more complex than the universe we perceive.
>>
>>17446800
Exactly, the first anon responded with an article that doesn't say what he thinks it does, which casts serious doubt on his reading comprehension.... Lot of mixing up of scientific theories in this thread
>>
>>17450602
it's not perfect it just seems perfect because organisms evolved with the physical properties of our solar system / planet. somewhere in the universe could be intelligent life that have a different phsyical properties but have evolved for them and are perfectly existing.
>>
i'll share my theory that i've had for awhile now. if aliens ever did visit this planet there is almost certainly would not be biological but rather mechanical based ais. robots that another civilization has sent here or they might be the civilization themselves the biological creatures died out while the ais continued expanding through the universe.

the thing about robots is they do so much better in space because biological creatures don't evolve for space or other planets so it's completely uninhabitable for them where robots don't give a shit. i mean look at us we aren't even that advanced of a civ yet and we have a robot on mars. imagine once we get super smart ais and space systems they could easily stumble upon another civ.
>>
>>17447510
EM signals travel at the speed of light, if an advanced civilization starts broadcasting from a million lightyears away, it would be a million years before we could detect it. A civilization, even in our own galaxy could thousands of years ahead of us, and we still wouldn't hear their first broadcasts yet.
>>
>>17446123
d4c!
>>
>>17450893
>For all we know, the universe we live in could have 10 dimensions, or 20 dimensions, or even more
And what tells you this could be the case?
Is there any proof or clue that lets you believe our universe could have many dimensions?
Because everything we see seems to work in 3+1 dimensions. Wouldn't our universe work drastically differently if it had even just one more spatial or or temporal dimension?
>>
>>17445931
Topkek. I started that thread. Funny seeing that.
>>
File: humansridingdinosaurs.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
humansridingdinosaurs.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
>>17444147
I dont know anon I believe in god because of things like instincts. and supporting evidence we find all the time like this.
>>
>>17446172

lel
>>
>>17445499
You have to fall for the extreme rationalist "a perfect copy of you is you" meme to be afraid of it, though.
>>
File: 1454642976784.gif (1011 KB, 314x233) Image search: [Google]
1454642976784.gif
1011 KB, 314x233
>>17445273
if they use a form of communication we can't detect then its not fact we are alone.

Its possible we are blind to the Universe.
>>
>>17448915
Not to self: DON'T remember this when taking ANY psychedelics
>>
>>17448915
Why just pick on eyes? All senses are subjective. Open to interpretation. Like in psychedelics you feel and sense all sorts of weird shit.
>>
>>17449348
I digs it bud
>>
>>17451152
Why do you think senses are subjective?
>>
>>17449783
If you never feel anger there's no need to let it out. Like if someone you love dies in an accident or something you could be angry, or sad and be happy in your memories. Emotional response is subjective

Not saying be emotionless, just mature into more healthy,constructive and positive reaponses
>>
>>17451144
A perfect copy of me can thus bend space and time, so I don't see the problem.
>>
>>17447661
if we are our brains, would it be possible to resurrect somebody by remaking their brain? If every particle was the same and made to function exactly like it was when the person was alive, would the person regain consciousness?

And if thats possible, is it also possible to track where every particle went since the time of the person's death? Lets say some advanced civilization, us in twenty million years or aliens, knew everything about the universe and how it worked. Could they use their knowledge to look back in time? If they could, and resurrection is possible, then maybe we will all come back to life in an alien world.
>>
>>17451330
We certainly will, iff that's what happens.

Iff.
>>
>>17451051
I'm pretty sure there's some theoretical physicist who claims more dimensions exist. But since we are beings with the ability to only perceive 3+1 dimensions, this shit doesn't really matter.

You should quit wasting your time with these guys, none of them have the intelligence or education to answer your question.
>>
>>17451442
>theoretical physicist who claims
That sounds odd...
>>
most of these are anime-tier but 9 is at least interesting, 10 the most probable
>>
I've got one. It falls under the category of the whole "were an experiment" thing, but it's much more sinister.

What's left for a species once they reach their evolution ceiling? That is, they've evolved as much as they possibly can for their environment. It would be more difficult to have scientist in a lab working on coming up with new genetic alterations to continue your evolution, than it would to simply plant life in other environments, watch them, then harvest genes from them that are useful to your species. This explains why grays look so much like us... we look like them. Now the spoopy part, there's no way in hell they would let their experiments roam freely about the stars, because that would put us in direct competition with them.

Second one: grays are us from the future. The similarities are uncanny, how the hell else would a species evolvr independently on an entirely different planet with a radically different environment, yet end up a bipedal mammalian looking creature with two arms, two eyes, two nostrils, one mouth, all in the same arrangement as ours, and with such a similar bone structure to ours. Also, they're descendants of Asians. Whites and Jews destroy each other and the Asians become dominant and kill off the useless subspecies (niggers, spics, Eskimos)
>>
Brain in a vat is definitely the scariest.
I already don't know if anything is real or not.
All that stuff about the universe and higher beings is no big deal if it hasn't killed us already.
>>
File: kill you are self.jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kill you are self.jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
#4 #5 #9 all say the same thing, beings reach a technological singularity that we can't comprehend or communicate with.

I guess the 'berserker theory' is scary. That the universe is huge and somewhere, somehow, there's a perfect world-eating, civilization destroying construct or entity that cannot be stopped. All that lives is unknowingly doomed to perish to this truly perfect devourer.

This theory is stupid though, and I will tell you why. Some things Just Don't Happen. This isn't a law of the universe, but it's best understood as a thermodynamic principle. Calculate the odds of a cup of air undergoing spontaneous reverse entropy enough to change 1 degree centigrade over the age of the universe. How many entropy deaths of how many universes would it take for this tiny improbable event to be 50% likely to happen ever in a single one? (Hint: an absurd number)
>>
>>17451519
the flaw in this is because intelligence is our greatest asset it would make sense that we would evovle to keep our heads as far away from danger as possible and the only way is elongating upward. The eyes are in the front because you need to see where you are going. Similar reasons why the nose and mouth are on the front of the face. You can assume on every planet you will need to focus all your features foward so it makes sense they look like us.
>>
>>17446172

You're not altering it by looking at it, its being altered by being OBSERVED. Or, it is altering itself when it is under a state of observation, that is the outcome of the double slit experiment.

So many people seem to have trouble understanding different viewpoints when discussing something they actually don't know anything about, which really defeats the purpose of LEARNING.
>>
File: qm.png (8 KB, 501x578) Image search: [Google]
qm.png
8 KB, 501x578
>>17451591
We've progressed, we've proven quantum indeterminacy. Not the act of measuring, but whether or not the state is determinate is what brings about the uncertainty. >>17446123 was halfway there, I don't know why he didn't finish.

From the top, quantum slip experiment. High school stuff, diffraction pattern, shows the individual particles act as a wave when the position is indeterminate. When you set up a photon detector, I won't go into the physical setup of these detectors, the diffraction pattern disappears and you have only the narrow slit band.

Let's make things interesting and take this a step further... Using a perfect crystal prism we split a beam of light two ways and have a slit experiment at the end of each. 1 source of light, two paths. Particles can go either way, there is no way to determine which way any individual particle went, and the diffraction pattern exists on both.

Now imagine we put a photon detector at one end and see what happens. On both sides of the prism, the diffraction pattern vanishes. Because the path is determinate on one end, and can only go two ways, the other path is determinate by process of elimination. This is WITHOUT ANY FORM OF DIRECT OBSERVATION.

Brace yourself, things are about to get crazy. So how can we prove this bizarre behavior is a fundamental truth of the universe? Take our prism with 2 paths, now add another prism to each end. We now have 4 paths, 2 on the left and right. On both the left and right sides, we set up one path to a photon detector and have the other as a slit experiment. Once again, the diffraction pattern on the slit experiment disappears on both sides because the other outcome is determinate.

So we take a final crystal prism and invert it, direct both beams back at this prism. There is a photon detector on both paths, but by re-combining the beams it cannot be known which path a given particle took. We see a diffraction pattern re-appear in spite of observation on both possible paths!
>>
>>17446351
It's like this.

At some point in eternity everything is going to be in the exact arrangement that it was when "you" came to be as you are now. If you are dead, you can't perceive anything. It's like taking a nap, you're unconscious, unaware of the time passing. Then you wake up.
>>
>>17446123
The cat theory is flawed, for the cat is observing whilst inside the box. If it were an object however, it may be valid.

What does it mean? When you come to understand, you will know what "God" is. I'll give you a hint: pantheism. No you're not going to understand it by reading the Wikipedia entry, you have to know history. We once understood divinity, the Pantheon, and it's purpose.
>>
>>17451684
Nothing will ever be in the same arrangement, ever.

If there's a theory about that, it must be a pre-thermodynamics one. That cannot happen.
>>
>>17451717
>Nothing will ever be in the same arrangement

Yes it must be, it literally cannot possibly not be. Time wouldn't even exist if it wasn't so.
>>
>>17451863
Then time doesn't exist. Glad we cleared that up.
>>
>>17451442
>I'm pretty sure there's some theoretical physicist who claims more dimensions exist.
I've only heard about the possibility that other universe might exist with such properties, but never that more dimensions exist in our own.

>>17451442
>You should quit wasting your time with these guys, none of them have the intelligence or education to answer your question.
Yeah, I suspected that lol, but I'm bored anyway, so...
>>
>>17451519
You're retarded.
>>
We're all in a VR sim.

This bugs me every day.
>>
>>17444147
My biggest fear is the universe will randomly "glitch" somehow and we'll all be stuck in place in an infinite loop, but still fully conscious
>>
>>17444331
>>17444340
>>17446334

I'm just going to start assuming the american device is one of those non-existent troll creepy pastas like the grifter..
>>
>>17444147
The article was slightly interesting but grammatically awkward. To answer your question, none of them scare me.
>>
>You may have heard of this one. Let's say there is an ant hill in the middle of a forest, right next to that, is the construction site for a ten lane super-highway, will the ants ever understand what the highway is for ?. So it's not that we can't pick up signals from planet X using our technology, it's that we don't even understand what the beings in Planet X are or what these signals may be for. It's so beyond us that if they were to explain it to us, it would be like trying to teach an ant how to use the internet. When Pizzaro made his way to Peru, did he stop by any ant hills on the way there, did he try and communicate with the ants on the ant hills, did he try to explain the reason for his journey to the ants ? That's the situation we have here.

I can hang with that one.
>>
File: 1436907213916s.jpg (4 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
1436907213916s.jpg
4 KB, 200x250
>>17448067
>Knowledge
>>
>>17451980
Timequake.
>>
>>17449702
They may not be interested in our minds. Are scientists interested in the rat's thoughts when they make any behavioral experiments?
>>
>>17450481
>What is nucular fusion?

See, this nigga gets it.
>>
>>17450602
You have fucking discovered the metaphysical side of the multiverse theory.

>A ridiculously advanced civilization is in distress.
>They run a test to save themselves.
>each sample is a different universe, variables slightly changed
>They only wait and see what could save them.
>>
File: 1401327052455.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1401327052455.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>17447661
>What is the point of Morality then, if we are all meant to die?
See it from everyone else's perspectives. We're all in this shitty game together, yet a lot of the shitty things we do to each other or experience from one another comes because we focus solely on ourselves in our actions. Do good for others because you enjoy how it feels when people do good for you, be right by others because you don't enjoy how it feels when someone wrongs you, abstain from violence and hate because you would wish for others to grant you that mercy if you were in their position. We do this, and we hope that others will have the sense, empathy and understanding to share such ideals in kind, and that makes our lives as well as the lives of everyone else trapped on this rock a little better. I'd rather that than brashly decide that since others are free to fuck my life up, I should become the people I am afraid of and in turn mess up the life of another.

Honestly, shit like this is why I hate life. It is just an endless cycle of chasing some vague goal and never feeling satisfied even in success, always trapped to a limited perspective at the mercy of our whims and the whims of others at the mercy of their own. We could witness divinity in infinite complexity, yet all we would really see is yet another thing we can't really understand or appreciate for more than a moment, because that is what it means to be alive. That is what it means to exist, to chase and never be fulfilled until you realize that true peace(non existence) was always the better option. I hope that everything is erased when I die.
>>
>>17450481
>muh aliens are super smarter than me but they still have the exact same fuel needs as me and they experience life exactly the same as a human being

coming to conclusions about this subject is dumb
>>
>>17452380
energy = energy.

nuclear, or geothermal energy = abundant and a lot more efficient to gather. you can convert energy to whatever you want.

>muh ayylmaos want humans as fuel source
literal garbage
>>
>>17444381
Particles with energy much greater than anything we could ever hope to produce in the lab are colliding with our atmosphere all the time. Leaving Earth behind, you have things like relativistic jets around black holes spewing out particles with essentially unbounded energy.
>>17444354
Things wouldn't suddenly stop existing - it would spread from the nucleation point at the speed of light. That of course means we'd not be able to see it coming, but it wouldn't be instant.
>>
I would say heat death is pretty scare to me.
>>
>>17452595
Yes
>>
>>17445984
>we
They've already found us, they've known for years u pleb
>>
Parallel universes, or whichever one says that there are an infinite number of them for every possible outcome. It's kind of depressing for different reasons
>>
>>17446172
I wouldn't be so sure of yourself...because ive personally seen the testing that was done to back up that theory...if your gonna be an obnoxious dick at least get your facts right....although what u said about the radioactive part is the only thing you did get right....you still obviously misunderstand the whole cat experiment...
>>
>>17453183
it is just an experiment think, isn't it. We can't say whether it's alive our dead so we say it's both. Kind of like we know generally where some stuff is but we can't say for sure. But the cat is definitely alive our dead. right?
>>
>>17453203
poor kitty.
>>
>>17446108
This.

>>17446105
This.
>>
>>17451675
is that you barry?
>>
>>17453232
Schrodinger cat isn't going to make breakfast is it. It's not paying any bills. I might read up on it one day. Interesting though.
>>
>>17452340
Do you realize the amount of sophisticated equipment and knowledge required to project a entire universe to a lone brain, at that point, you would have to understand the brain to such a degree that any knowledge gained would of in all likely hood been already known. And moreover if you can rig a brain up to such a sophisticated simulation, you probably could recreate the same exact brain on a molecular level instead on a computer like device. You could run infinitely more test in a matter of seconds. And the fact that you could restart the simulation at any point and insert a new variable and being that the brain is a simulation it would retain no knowledge of the experience. I suppose you could do the same to a real brain but it would me much more complicated eradicating the nervous tissue that comprises the memory, then having to repairing it magically through science. But in the same time that takes you could of in the computer simulation run the same test infinity more times at a thousand different variables Simultaneously.
>>
>>17446105
kek
>>
>>17444354
wouldnt a false vaccum just be an expansion?
>>
ITT: People pretend that they know physics
>>
>>17451152
I chose eyes because they are the most direct means of knowing the outside world.

You can't be sure if what you touch/taste/smell/hear is the thing you actually supposed. But you can always be very aware of you environment solely using your eyes.

If your eyes can cheat you so bad you can't see the things you should, then your other senses are already fucked.
>>
File: solipsist1.jpg (117 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
solipsist1.jpg
117 KB, 500x281
Solipsism is my most feared. instead of the expanse of reality and the world and space beyond to worry about is the notion that i made it all up. everything. even my own consciousness. and everyone posting here is just me arguing with myself but also entertaining myself

and if i can snap out of it everything ends because theres no other way for me to exist
>>
Don't know if this is the right thread, but anybody got the one where a guy is working on a government project that he describes as the "most real thing" in the universe? Some people go in and meet their doubles or something.
>>
>>17453988
the american device
http://archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/17093063/#17093121
>>
>>17454000
fuck yea! thank you man
>>
>>17444147
The theory that God created the Universe for all of us and though some of us may go to heaven, close friends, family, people that we could have helped go to heaven will go to hell because of bergrerefer
>>
So that's definitely not fermi's paradox and the "not even know what kind of signals to look for" doesn't really make sense. So I'm not too sure about the rest of those explanations...

Elsewise they are alright. Disconcerting, but none of those issues will really affect us in our lives and there is nothing we can do about them, so it's not really scary.
>>
File: 93347803.jpg (128 KB, 507x338) Image search: [Google]
93347803.jpg
128 KB, 507x338
>>17450543
Well in Slaughterhouse Five the aliens there are described as fourth dimensional, which means they can see the past, present and future simultaneously. Vonnegut describes the aliens seeing humans like the pic, except with an infant on one side and an old man on the other.
>>
>>17448067
I'd also like to agree that happiness is the key. We're all independent thinking creatures (including some animals) and I think living a balanced life and being respectful/showing love and avoiding conflicts is the key to life. In the grand schemes of the universe, I don't see the point of humans and can't comprehend if we even have a purpose. So it might be easy to say then death doesn't matter but of course we all, for the most part, want happiness and have a will to live. I think everyone has the right to be happy as long as your happiness does not hurt others and that's what transcending to me is all about. Being that positive energy in a whirlpool of fuck
>>
>>17445273
No.
If the actual creation of life is a filter, then we will find very little life. If life is common, moreso, if intelligent life is common then the great filter is not the random coagulation of atoms into living entities, but instead something we likely have yet to reach.
The more life we find, the worse off we are. You better hope we're the only ones in our solar system. That silence is our blessing.
>>
>>17454380
also, the inevitable heat death of the universe is the scariest theory.
>>
>>17454387
http://go.nature.com/oIpEsi
>>
>>17450983
this
>>
>>17446615
Wouldn't that be sweet?
>Better than waking up in eternal nothingness only to realize that if you were to end your life, you would only wake up alone again in eternal nothingness only to realize that if you were to end your life you would only wake up alone again in eternal nothingness only to realize that if you were to end your life you would only wake up alone again in eternal nothingness only to realize
>>
>>17448067
>that feel when people have to be drug addicts to weight 120lbs and yet im that underweight naturally
Rip
>>
>>17449831
Sounds like infinity to me.
>>
>>17450122
I hope you never bathe or clean your living space. Think of all the life you are killing Mr. Saint.
>>
>>17449783
Being angry is one thing. Acting angry is another. Acting angry is a habit that reinforces itself the more you do it. It's a waste of your energy and time to maintain it. You have to make practical choices about how to express negative emotions because ultimately you have to deal with your own emotions, not anyone else. No one's happy and angry at the same time. I don't know about you, but I'm picking happy, and that means doing something constructive. Not trying to lecture you, just saying that you can just drop your anger and move on. It's not easy in this society though. I think the rat race just leads to a petty rat mentality.
>>
>false vacuum
>the content of a bubble disappears when it's popped
Idiot
>>
This is the best thread i've ever seen on /x/. Well, this is the only one i consider its been worth to take a look on.
>>
>>17456852
It's not the contents that are the problem it's the quantum state's initial conditions within that bubble that matter, because they determine the relative strengths of the fundamental physical forces. For instance, you weaken the strong nuclear force just a little bit and all atomic nuclei decay, leaving us with nothing but subatomic particles.

Also, calling people idiots is a truly excellent way to out yourself as same.
>>
>>17454000
Thanks!
>>
>>17445754
As 3+1 dimensional beings we can see our dimension and all those beneath. But not being born in the 4th or higher dimension we have no ability to perceive it. You were not equipped at birth to see or exist in the dimension and will therefore never be able to. But things in the higher dimensions can look at ones they being born able to perceive them. It's like the kitten experiment. A doctor experimented on kittens leaving some in the dark after thier eyes opens while others got the light exposure on time. What he found was the delayed sight cats lacked the ability to perceive horizontal lines and would fall of the edges of tables and such because they literally couldn't see the edge. This defect was life long. If higher dimensions exist we wouldn't ever know or be able to prove it at this stage in our evolution.
>>
>>17450657
u n d e r r a t e d
>>
>>17445754
Relevant.
>>
In a years time the Sun will release a massive solar flare causing Earths EM field to glitch, in turn causing temperatures on Earth to slowly start rising by a single degree each year until we all slowly die from suffocation in 2029.
>>
>>17457275
Oh boy, the end of the world AGAIN?
>>
File: kek.jpg (163 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
163 KB, 600x400
>>17446499
>>
>>17446499
Kek'd
>>
>>17453941
I've always found that solipsism is fairly easily disproved by the fact that we have the ability to ponder such an idea. How could you conceive of such a thought when the idea states that your mind is projecting everything outside of it's own consciousness? It's more confusing than plausibly scary.
>>
>>17457275
I literally hear this prediction and have heard it every. single. year. for the past...I don't know, how long has the internet been around?
>>
Anybody seen this? It has an interesting spin on the great filter theory.
>>
>>17446814
Oh boy, someone asking about proof. I'm working on my math Masters degree at the moment and you can basically disregard anything about "Muh higher dimensions." Sorry friend :(
>>
>>17446771
More like a surface, actually.
Just a 3 dimensional linear subspace of the 4 dimensional space if such a thing exists, but clearly this is not the case.
>>
>>17451675
Citation?
>>
>>17451099
What is your picture? What's with the filename?
>>
>>17457932
Now that you mention it, that's pretty much it. Except Lordgenome knew about it all along.
>>
The Finger-Box theory always gives me nightmares.
>>
>>17459723
that is, if you're new to it
>>
>>17451519
i love the abrupt tran SITIION into racism. this is actually hilarious, you should be a satire writer
>>
Here's a scary theory;
>Be Pre-clovis humans on the Americas
>Get conquered by "Native" Americans
>Now extinct
>Be Native American on the Americas
>Get conquered by Europeans
>Now nearly extinct
>Be European
>Get conquered by Muslims Refugees
>Now in the process of becoming extinct
>>
>>17446123
>billions of billions of Sagans ago
>the first "life" in the primal universe is starting to form
>it observes itself
>the shape of the forming universe follows it's observation
>God creates itself from itself
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.