[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's try something here.... Ideas and theories on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: JohnConstantine.jpg (57 KB, 258x489) Image search: [Google]
JohnConstantine.jpg
57 KB, 258x489
Let's try something here....

Ideas and theories on the weaknesses and/or method of killing, controlling or driving away any supernatural creatures. Let's see the mythologies guys.
>>
Let me throw this one out there to get us rolling: salt works really well for barriers against spirits. But rock salt shotgun? Where did that come from? And what is the benefit of salt versus say, red brick dust or red clay dust which is used in voodoo as a ward or barrier? Why?
>>
Channeling the holy light of god and shaping your arm into a cross should protect someone temporarly if they are being attacked by dark spirits. Chanting mantras like the "The power of christ is present within me!" should hinder any nearby evil spirits :)
>>
Silver for penetrating weapons against beasts

Wooden stake for "vampires"; as well as decapitation

Garlic for warding off the same

Witches need to burn and/or drown

They're the ones I know from history

Never heard of the salt thingy, but I haven't read too much into it, rather just shit passed down.

Ghosts, evil spirits and whatnot are always repulsed via Christ
>>
>>17418446
Court case against a ghost saying it is tresspassing. Usually with the ghost there. Or having police inform the ghost that it's tresspasing on private property.
>>
>>17418470
I had heard of staking through the heart, decapitation, and filling the mouth with garlic all in one was the way to kill a vampire. The modern method s jump all over the place
>>
>>17418486
It varies from fiction to fiction. Bram Stoker's Dracula featured this method, but many vampire novelizations since and before have differing methodologies. Rarely is a religious symbol effective against vampires when they are featured today. Similarly, garlic has fallen by the wayside as any ties to pre-modern mysticism have faded.

If I had to have a hard and fast list of things that vampires are definitively weak to in the majority of cases, I would say sunlight, staking, and fire.
>>
>>17418508

I recall they used stakes on "vampires" in the past, in addition to the garlic in the mouth stuff.

Though, it was staked in the coffin after a "normal" form of death.

Pretty sure it was only witches with fire.
>>
I believe in the book of Tobit, Tobias burns a fish's gaul bladder and some other organs to ward off a demon.
>>
>>17418446
A steak through the heart.

Apparently that does the job. Just be sure it's something paranormal, otherwise you'll look like a psycho.
>>
>>17418464
But do you have to believe it? You could just end up like the priest in Salem's Lot.
>>
Can someone tell me how to catch or kill and alien?
>>
>>17418446
When you boil the different methodologies down, it all comes back to a sense of belief and exercising that sense of belief.

We use things such as silver and garlic because they are so rooted in antiquity as protective tools. We don't have to know why, we believe in a link between protection and silver and thus it holds the power to protect a person.

In reality however...

>Silver: Potent antimicrobial

>Garlic: Potent antibiotic

>Salt: Staves off rot and preserves food.

>Brick dust: It was once a wall or a barrier, now it's a symbolic link for that wall or barrier that it once stood with.

Fire: It takes something and renders it into ash and dust, it makes things edible and kills infection.

If someone were to try to fully utilize the sense of belief to it's fullest potential then household cleaning products could become potent tools in monster hunting. The smell of bleach may banish a vampire in the same way garlic does because it banishes rot and fungus in the same way.

A person could also go full on ghostpuncher, if you can create a link between yourself and the supernatural world that's held together by your belief then you could, yaknow, punch ghosts. You just need to boil it down, find something that really feels like it exists between two worlds and exploit that belief. like, fuck, I don't know. Pay out the ass to have a pair of owls taxidermied into boxing gloves. Become the owlfist.
>>
File: 27xwhZ2.jpg (24 KB, 234x300) Image search: [Google]
27xwhZ2.jpg
24 KB, 234x300
>>17418805
>A steak through the heart.

Good work there Bunnicula.
>>
>>17418823
I'm forced to assume you do to "channel the holy light of God".
>>
>>17419107
That's how you kill vampires, Normie.
>>
>>17419428
Ribeye or tenderloin?
>>
It's all JESUS CHRIST.

Everything is through Jesus.
>>
>>17419500
What?

Wood, obviously.
>>
File: Actually not that bad.gif (339 KB, 213x199) Image search: [Google]
Actually not that bad.gif
339 KB, 213x199
>>17418851
I don't know why no one is paying attention to you.
>household cleaning products could become potent tools in monster hunting
Literally this.

>read the last paragraph
Made me laugh, but the idea itself is sound.

>>17419107
I read that when I was 10.
Good shit.
>>
>>17419586

>Steak
>Stake

Pick one
>>
>>17419935
Semantics.

You know what I mean, grammar Nazi fgt
>>
>>17418805
Are you Tara Gilesbie? I love your fanfictions.
>>
>>17420035
But if he's a Nazi, doesn't that mean he's anti-semantic?
>>
>>17420084
Well played.
>>
>>17420084
I keked
>>
>>17420071
sick burn m8
>>
>>17420084
Made me spil my drink.

He's still a dick.
>>
>>17418515
>only witches

Thermite is the duct tape of burning things.
>>
>>17418628

No, he burns the Saul bladder. Always get rid of a fishes lawyer BEFORE you ward off a demon.
>>
>>17418464
>>17418470
See that's where you're wrong. The ghosts aren't scared of christ perse, but by your BELIEF in christ.

Have you ever wondered why Islamic and Bhuddist holy men ward off spirits? It's because their belief is solid enough to counter the memory of a living thing that is psychotic or angry.

Ghosts live in the past, they are literally the apparition, a representation and a memory of their former selves. The stronger you feel about your strength or protection against them, the weaker they are, because they dwell within a concept. They aren't solid like our bodies are... they're dead and have no body, and likely haven't had one for a long time.
>>
>>17421269
Totems are the very personification of this concept. Fetishes and seals and medals don't possess inherent power but are potent when in the hands of people who truly believe in their power.

BTW.... Anybody ever figure out why iron seems to work on faeries or fairy related creatures?
>>
>>17421501
It's cause fairies come from pre-metal cultures.
It's the same reason why Datura hates shovels, but's alright with a digging stick.

It's a holdover given to us, by our ancestors, telling us just how old some folk beliefs are.
>>
Would it be possible to build an /x/proof compound? Build it on top of a salt mine, lay iron, silver, runes and crucifixes through a wall cavity running all around the building and internal and external walls.

Flowing streams act like a forcefield to demons but is that only natural streams or would a small canal and pumps built around the perimeter of the property work the same way? Hell do they have to be open or could you make it out of piping and put it just below the surface so it acts as an invisible barrier? Make it holy water for added kick.

I know various herbs supposedly ward off the paranormal so a perimeter herb garden too.

I remember something about flower petals but that probably means not living ones so a flower bed would be useless.

Is ground blessed by a priest supposed to do anything?

UV light systems to mimic natural sunlight.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.