[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>approx 300 years from now >It has become possible to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: ks2.jpg (11 KB, 473x352) Image search: [Google]
ks2.jpg
11 KB, 473x352
>approx 300 years from now

>It has become possible to upload your consciousness onto hard disk.

>You will remain fully sentient and only bound by the limits of the physical media you are stored on and the network cabling available for you to travel through.

>The technology is not reversible (cannot transfer yourself back into a body once uploaded) and it is not a 'copying' process (all data in the original physical brain is removed during transfer, effectively killing you.

>Tens of millions have already undergone the process and the possibility of data corruption during upload is extremely low due to safeguards in place.

>The cost is considered quite affordable and it is easily accessible to middle class demographic.

Would you do it?
>>
>>17381245
more like 30 yrs
>>
>>17381245
whats the point of living forever if you cannot enjoy the pleasures of the flesh and spirit?
>>
File: bait.png (239 KB, 700x518) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
239 KB, 700x518
>>17381245
I would, after years of expanding my knowledge in the physical realm. It would be mostly like a retirement plan, you know? I would have to consider what kind of entertainment and life I would have after being uploaded to it. Would I be able to live vicariously in a Matrix like world? Would I be able to create a simulation with coding knowledge?
>>
File: zx-files166.jpg (58 KB, 944x536) Image search: [Google]
zx-files166.jpg
58 KB, 944x536
>>17381258
>retirement plan

You must do it before the age of 18 due to technical limitations and brain plasticity.

After that age it becomes impossible.

Reconsider?
>>
>>17381271
Ah, so this is RP/story time.
>>
>>17381245
I'd do it if I was sure I was dying soon and had a highly sophisticated andriod body so similar to human flesh but more resilient and ageless. Yes.
That and a coded copy of my genome/DNA.
>>
I'll be dead in 50 years.
>>
>>17381245
It already happened, new consciousnesses are simply fabricated. You don't exist.
>>
>>17381315
This. If I can have an android body. Not so sure about floating around the Internet with no physical properties. I'd have to talk to people who had already done it first, maybe they can use AIM or Skype?
>>
I hope the hard disk has a computer attached.
>>
>>17381280
Nay, Naive! Philosophy!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M26zWFUPGpE
>>
>>17381271
So I'm fucked anyway kek
>>
Why?
Your copy would live. You would die.
>>
Whoever can make a convicing demonstration of this will kill a lot of people. What would it take to convince you to kill yourself, like another Jonestown, or Heaven's Gate?

It's basically another form of the Turning test, except maybe you also have to convince someome that the computer is a specific person rather than just any person. Fundamentally it's about selling an illusion, and that has a lot more to do with what the audience believes than with what's going on in the computer.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (945 KB, 1401x1050) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
945 KB, 1401x1050
This reminds me of that Cowboy Bebop episode with the "Migrate to Electronics" cult which encourages people to transfer their consciousness to computer hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD2ggMnjgbg
>>
Considering how quickly computers are improving, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw within our lifetimes virtual reality which our minds can't differentiate from IRL. With how expensive it is to keep old people alive it'd probably be way cheaper just to hook them up to a computer with the VR program. I'd rather be logged onto CruiseHoliday.exe than sitting in a chair in some care home staring at a wall all day, and I figure they'll create some kind of multiplayer so I could chill with the other people living within cyberspace. I just hope nobody figures out how to troll the server like what happened on Second Life with the infinite replicating penises script.

Btw, does anyone know how long a brain could be kept alive if it was in some kind of super advanced vat or something?
>>
We're already in the machine.
>>
>>17383075
Who are you? Have you hacked into the system from outside? You know this isn't ethical to do.
>>
>>17381245
There is no way I'm being digitized. besides what advantage would it give me I'd die eventually due to data corruption/ solar flare combo.
>>
>>17383108
If you were living in virtual reality then you could do pretty much whatever you wanted. Why not just run SashaGrey.exe or Woodstock.exe and enjoy the next 1000 years? Beats spending the final 20 years of your life pissing yourself and watching Jerry Springer
>>
>>17381252

>this is what Kurzweil fanboys actually believe
>>
>>17381245
>all data in the original physical brain is removed during transfer, effectively killing you.

Why would I ever do this? What part of dying so an electronic mimic of me can exist is supposed to appeal to ME?
>>
File: tmp_7889-deber-1414711346.gif (10 KB, 197x240) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7889-deber-1414711346.gif
10 KB, 197x240
>>17381245
Fucking die and have a mindclone live out my fantasy.
Fuck that andriod for life.
Put my brain into a robotic body and slowly replace parts of it with computers.
Eventualy my organic brain will die and technically I will be a mindclone, yet it would be so seemless it wouldn't matter.
Fuck being trapped in a computer simulation I rather be dead.
>mfw we are stuck in a computer simulation
>>
what would be the point? it isnt for me
>>
>>17381245
>Would you do it?
No, I would alter technology itself. Godhood GET.
>>
>>17381245
>Would you do it?

Oh FUCK no.

I grow more weary of people with each passing year.
>>
>>17385011
You're confusing cyborg with andriod.
>>
>>17385011
Watch Angel Beats.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.