[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monsters in Outer Space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: leviathan.jpg (40 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
leviathan.jpg
40 KB, 768x432
Is there any sliver of evidence that impossibly enormous (from our perspective) creatures might exist somewhere out there in outer space?

Would it even be possible or is there a scientific explanation that deems it impossible? I know for example that creatures like tardigrades can survive in outer space while they hibernate, and considering there are stars literally 1 million times bigger than our sun, I can imagine such a creature being scaled just as much and with better space-survival capabilities
>>
Who's to say the recordings (i.e Bloop) in our Seas if they came from a creature; that that creature would be terrestrial in origin? I've always thought that these giant monster stories could literally be as you describe, OP, but that due to the size of our Galaxy alone such occurences as one literally dropping into our atmosphere would be incredibly rare, but it's not something we can outright deny exists. Even Dragons?
>>
>>17371397
It's honestly possible that there are creatures out there in deep space that can survive without any sort of oxygen and live off asteroids. I think about that a lot.
>>
>>17371397
The only reason massive creatures dont exist on earth anymore is because theres not enough oxygen
>>
>>17371397
No there's no such thing as aliens. It's all an illusion you're in hell.
>>
>>17371418
I believe the bloop was from a civilization in the water.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (2 MB, 383x397) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
2 MB, 383x397
This scene used to unnerve me as a kid. Still does, too. Fuck you space slugs.
>>
>>17371426
>No there's no such thing as hell. It's all aliens you're in an illusion.
>>
>>17371431
Me too anon. That scene scared the fuck out of me. Can you imagine? What if our moon has that shit?
>>
>>17371433
Touche.
>>
>>17371418

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIAZWb9_si4

There's weird sounds from outer space recorded from Voyager 1, both when it passed Jupiter and when it arrived in interstellar space.

Also, you can imagine what kind of creatures live in the deep oceans of Europa, which scientists say is an ocean enclosed in a layer of ice.
>>
>>17371441

That's creepy as shit
Space noises really intrigue me, especially those of planets like Saturn and Jupiter, it's most likely the gases but it just makes me feel uneasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_JAvVjKeWI
>>
>>17371435
You're so fucking dumb.
>>
>there are stars literally 1 million times bigger than our sun
The largest known star, Canis Majoris, is roughly 1,500 times the size of the sun. To answer your question, the largest animal on the planet is the blue whale, is able to get so large because the buoyancy of the ocean supports its massive weight. Such an animal could not exist on land, as the force of gravity would crush it under its own weight. If such a creature were able to survive in the vacuum of space, it would be possible for it to grow to massive sizes. That is, if it had sufficient resources to sustain the massive amount of food it would need. This is where it becomes unlikely. It would require regular sustenance in massive amounts, which are highly unlikely to be available from sources other than terrestrial bodies, which would likely destroy the creature from gravitational forces. Also, in order to move in space, propulsion is required. Unless the creature had a rocket strapped to it, it wouldn't be able to move around.

Tl;dr: probably not
>>
File: er.jpg (412 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
er.jpg
412 KB, 1920x1080
>>17371422

Shit anon you might be onto something. This sound was recorded by the Rosetta spacecraft when it attempted to land on a comet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YkL6bMVXjY

And I don't think people realize just how vast outer space is, we have no clue what exactly is out there. Most of what is shown is concept art for how things are believed to be
>>
>>17371483

Sounds like Zergs to me
>>
>>17371473
>he doesn't understand that these creatures would live off of the ambient energy of the galaxies
>>
>>17371471
Get out of here buzzkill.
>>
>>17371483
Acoustic resonance isn't spooky, isn't paranormal and is about as mundane as it gets.
>>
>>17371490
So did you just skip every science class you've ever had?
>>
>>17371473
I disagree. I think it's possible there are creatures like that. Space is gigantic. The possibilities are endless.
>>
>>17371493
The gym teacher always took attendance & 3rd lunch was between those two classes, I had to meet my friend who had pot in the woods by the train tracks. So what?
>>
>>17371473

That's odd, I was always under the impression that stars were a million times larger than our sun. From every concept I have seen this is believable, maybe in terms of mass/actual size it's true? I know for a fact some of a million times brighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4iD-9GSW-0
>>
>>17371498
That's why I said not likely, rather than no. It's not very feasible by current scientific standards, but there's plenty of stuff out there that violates our current laws. Just trying to give OP the best answer using what we currently know.
>>
>>17371492
Acoustic resonance built the pyramids & carved the moai on Easter Island!
>social studies was right after science, I was usually pretty stoned that period
>>
>>17371466
i love listening to this stuff. space scares the shit out of me, but its really cool to hear what a planet sounds like.
>>
I'd be VERY surprised if in the mind-boggling immensity of the universe, within billions upon billions of galaxies, the largest form of life happened to be a sorry ass blue whale.
>>
>>17371504
It's quite possible there are stars that big, but none that we know of.
>>
>>17371397
>Could impossible enormous creatures exist on other planets?
Potentially yes, if there was a high enough concentration of oxygen (or some other gas they breath) and the gravity was weak enough to allow such a massive body to not collapse in on itself.
>In outer space
No, the vacuum of space cannot sustain life
>>
>>17371473
>implying we know 1% of the universe
>>
File: fde7qqvatnes3didbruc.jpg (73 KB, 800x548) Image search: [Google]
fde7qqvatnes3didbruc.jpg
73 KB, 800x548
>>17371510
>There are plenty of stuff out there that violates our current laws

Exactly. Exactly. That's why I think it's silly to say it's unlikely when we haven't even left our own planet. (I mean colonization and mass space travel)

For all we know, there could be a floating space whale that survives off cosmic dust. It may seem impossible but that's only because we're so used to our own current laws. I'm not calling you silly, by the way, just in general.
>>
>>17371527
Water bears can survive in the vacuum of space.
>>
Someones read too much cosmic horror.
>>
>>17371527
>The vacuum of space cannot sustain life

How do you know this?
>>
>>17371536
In stasis.
>>
>>17371535
I understand. I probably should have phrased it "unlikely by our current knowledge".
>>
>>17371543

Irrelevant. Tardigrades is proof that it's entirely possible there are beings out there that can survive and live in the vacuum of space.
>>
>>17371546
Perhaps, but it's fine. I love talking about stuff like this. This thread is nice.
>>
>>17371527
>>17371541

If we can build a functioning EmDrive in principle couldn't a lifeform also gain energy in this fashion?
>>
>>17371493
>terrestrial science applies to theoretical fuckhuge space leviathans
>>
>>17371543
Honestly the thought of some giant creature floating through space in stasis and waiting to land on a planet to devour its inhabitants is even more terrifying to me.
>>
>>17371553
I agree. I have a degree in biology, and the subject can get stale sometimes, so it's nice to apply what I've learned to fun subjects like this.
>>
>>17371558
Can you point out where I said that at all?
>>
>>17371574
Are you trolling or just stupid?
>>
>>17371541
No breathable gases or food source

>>17371536
Can they breed in space?
>>
Perhaps yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uakLB7Eni2E
>>
>>17371576
No. I said nothing about terrestrial life being the same as theoretical life in space. The only comparison I made was that blue whales can get so large because of buoyancy, which means creatures in space would be able to grow large due to no gravitational influence from a planet.
>>
>>17371581

Actually there is abundant supply of water in the asteroid belt, it is conceivable that such a case is not limited to our galaxy, we know comets are basically snowballs in the galaxy and asteroids tend to harbor methane and other minerals
>>
>>17371591
We're having two completely different conversations.
>>
>>17371595

Of course it's hard to imagine a life form evolving in such conditions, but if there was an abundant supply that lasted, you would think there might rise an organism that could survive there.
>>
>>17371599
Well, it's not my fault that you can't grasp literacy very well.
>>
>>17371473
So would it be possible for this kind of creatures to somehow live orbiting a planet that has a ring system, such as Saturn, and feeding off it?
>>
>>17371595
Once again it comes down to breeding, a species needs to be capable of producing offspring reliably to survive, such a thing isn't really possible with a space faring species that lives on asteroids.
Now something like what >>17371609 said may be possible, so long as they're in a fairly fixed position when they have access to other members of the species.
>>
>>17371515
fucking faggot ass blue whales
>>
File: Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg.png (176 KB, 1254x783) Image search: [Google]
Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg.png
176 KB, 1254x783
>>17371473

I don't know about you friendo but this looks more than the 1,500 times you describe

Every concept paints the same picture. While the diameter thing may be correct, I think it would also be correct to say you could fit 1 million suns inside this
>>
>>17371637
and he's wrong about the diameter too anyway. it's 3,600 times the diameter of the sun.
>>
>>17371637
fucking faggoty ass sun
>>
>>17371641
1.228 billion mi/ 864,948 mi= 1,419.7
>>
Technically, the largest form of life is a fungus colony.

Now I'm thinking about space mushrooms
>>
>>17371641
holy shit, really? that would translate to a star 583200000 times more voluminous than the sun. big numbers
>>
>>17371620
this answer lifted my hopes. thanks wise anon
>>
File: a3541743025_10.jpg (222 KB, 1181x835) Image search: [Google]
a3541743025_10.jpg
222 KB, 1181x835
>>17371637

Is anyone else scared as shit when they think about the sheer sizes of what's out there? This is our fucking sun we're talking about

Makes me feel insignificant as shit
>>
If there would be a giant space creature think less whale or dragon and think more jellyfish or fungus webbing.

Something very light and able to survive off of microbes and stray nutrients, but in order for it to survive off that it would not to be far from being a living being in the first place. Perhaps it would made of gas. Or perhaps it would be an immobile self sufficient chunk of flesh that absorbs energy from the stars.
>>
>>17371397

I believe there is electroluminecent spheres in our atmosphere. I'm not sure if they have conscious awareness like we do but they do seem to move and follow thunderstorms around. They are often seen making pulsing movements like a jellyfish as they propel themselves or hover over thunder storms. They are huge and is visible from space.
>>
>>17371671
If you think that's terrifying, look up the great attractor. Basically it's an object with such strong gravitational force, that it's pulling our galaxy and several others towards it. We have no idea what it is.
>>
>>17371431
what always bugged me about it was, why would a creature that big even waste the effort to try and eat something so small compared to it? it's be like a bear trying to eat a fly, it just isn't worth the effort for how few calories you'll get relative to body size.
>>
>>17371606
7/10 troll. I almost dove into my reaction folder for you.
>>
>>17371397
You people are either imbeciles or roleplayers.
>>
>>17371748

I don't imagine it gets a lot to eat
>>
>>17371768
Then it wouldn't live a lot bruh
>>
>>17371752

Look at this genius, he knows all about every single thing that exists in the endless space that is the universe

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that you're the dumbest cunt in this thread
>>
>>17371783
What a little faggot. My comment made you that anusagitated?
>>
>>17371790
>lelel y u mad xDDDD
go back to 2009 please.
>>
>>17371790

Nope, I meant every word of it, because not only are you stupid to suggest you know every possibility or impossibility in the universe, but also stupidly arrogant to even claim so.

Nothing worst than an idiot who thinks he's intelligent
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 511x632) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 511x632
>>17371696
Actually we do know what it is.
>So as we hurtle through the cosmos, gravity shapes the path we travel. We’re pulled towards the Great Attractor, and despite its glorious title, it appears, in fact to be a perfectly normal collection of galaxies, which just happens to be hidden.
But that's not everything. Pic related

http://www.universetoday.com/113150/what-is-the-great-attractor/
>>
>>17371817
You dumb, nigga
>>
>>17371817

And that claim suggests that you believe nothing of the sort as stated in the OP could possibly exist in any way, shape or form, that it was such a ridiculous idea that we're all imbeciles for even entertaining the thought of it.

You are indeed implying you know for a fact such things are not a possibility, therefore you are a dumb cunt.
>>
>>17371817
But you're not contributing, either. The speculation is not an unworthy one and has nothing to do with role-playing. It's not outside the realm of possibility, as an example, that a "coral" style environment could grow in the free space of a solar system. Various organisms might provide a variety of substances derived from, say, the rings around a gas giant while others grow to enormous scale to collect sunlight.

In short, your role playing accusations come off largely as trolling and pointless. Don't need 'em. Find something better to do.
>>
>>17371828
Step off my nig
>>
>>17371817
>2016
>says newfag
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>17371748
Blue whales survive off of krill mate
>>
>>17371672
It would probably be a massive jelly or fungus colony surrounding a planet or solar system, and gaining nutrients from the shit that gets knocked off planets and whatnot by planet quakes and asteroid strikes.
>>
>>17371749
What are you on about? I don't think you even know at this point. I'm just gonna stop replying.
>>
>>17371535
>floating space whale
You've been listening to Gojira, haven't you?
>>
>>17371847

Fuck you.

>>17371843

Fuck you too. The chance of evolution like your yearn from occurring is nearly impossible.
>>
>>17371869
You have no idea what is or isn't possible. Shoo. This is /x/, not your little tantrum corner.
>>
It's depressing that we'll never get to see a speck of what's out there. We're going to die in this minuscule shithole of a planet
>>
>>17371873
Nice response.
>>
>>17371873
No, but individuals smarter than you and I can speculate more competently.
>>
>>17371896
Yeah, it's a bit more eloquent than "fuck you" faggot.
>>
>>17371898

You aren't smarter than anyone here, you're dumber, more close-minded, and more arrogant. That just makes you a piece of shit

Go away you little Mexican
>>
>>17371397
I've heard that there's a starman waiting in the sky and that he'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our mind
>>
>>17371892
don't lose hope anon, you never know
>>
lmao
>>
>>17371908
>Mexican

I don't know how you figured that but you're wrong (again).
>>
>>17371907
How about get fucked? Is that better my dear?
>>
>>17371930
There's treatment options for Tourette's, you know.
>>
>>17371930
>>17371926

>people point out how dumb he really is
>keeps responding with more stupid replies

I bet you think you're trolling now
>>
>>17371862
That's probably a good idea, faggot. The thread doesn't need your bullshit.
>>
>>17371966
not that anon, but thread's fucked by now, which is a shame because it was pretty interesting
>>
What if our solar system is nothing more than an atom ? And the billions of systems make up nothing more than someones toilet paper to be flushed when our time is up .
>>
>>17371397
I would bet my money that there are many things out there beyond what is even possible to imagine.
>>
>>17372011
then we're up for a great ride through the pipes into the sewer, something like a roller coaster
>>
>>17372033

The most interesting thing to me are the oldest clusters of galaxies. There could be civilizations that are billions of years older than our own, life forms that achieved immortality via biological or technological means (we are closer to technological immortality). They could be both older and much larger than what we can imagine, and with the clusters of galaxies being so knit together in areas like pic related, it wouldn't be a surprise they have made contact with similarly advanced beings already
>>
>>17372057
What if all life in the universe originated from Earth and we're supposed to colonize the universe?
>>
File: 1412399794349.jpg (154 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1412399794349.jpg
154 KB, 1024x576
>>17372158

Looking at our history of destruction, I believe at this point we're going to perish as a civilization before even setting foot anywhere outside of our galaxy

I genuinely believe the only hope is to achieve technological immortality (somehow transfer our consciousness to a chip, neuron for neuron) and see where we go from there. Thing is, at this point we are nowhere, and I mean nowhere, near close to getting near the speed of light. And even if we did make something that could travel at the speed of light (and that's a big IF), we'd have to travel at that constant speed for a whole year to cross the distance of a lightyear

So yeah, the future looks a bit grim
>>
>>17372033
You have no idea.
>>
>>17372185
how far is the closest star system ?
>>
Watched an episode of Star Trek: Voyager like this just the other day. Season 5 Episode 14: Bliss.

They encounter a stable wormhole leading to the Alpha Quadrant and it turns out to be a gigantic space dwelling creature that eats sapceships. References Moby Dick constantly.
>>
>>17371515
There are organisms on earth vastly larger than blue whales. They're just very boring and simple in comparison, like a forest-wide fungal growth. Very large complex organisms have huge drawbacks that must be compensated by a wide range of factors.
>>
>>17371595
Doesn't matter how much water is in the asteroid belt if it's frozen. Water has to be liquid to be biologically useful.
>>
>>17371422
No, it's not possible. How could such lifeforms even develop? What makes you think anything can survive in a vacuum?
>>
>>17372372
Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light years away.
>>
>>17371473
>food
It depends. It could essentially be a creature like kryptonians that survives on solar energy. This isn't too farfetched either as most physicists think the final stage of human evolution would be a combination of machine/energy that only needs energy to survive. No need for carbon based resources.

>propulsion
Assuming it has some way to get off its planet of origin (if it has one) its enormous mass would make it relatively easy to just use gravitational slingshots to traverse whole solar systems or galaxies.
>>
>>17372493
For humans yes. Why do you assume any other life in the universe must need the same resources we need? This is from a purely scientific view I'm asking.

>>17372496
There's a pretty high consensus that most of the protein and other essential building blocks on earth came from comets and meteors. So why do you think its impossible for life to develop in the vacuum? Again not all life must be similar to humans.
>>
>>17372493

You understand that we, the creatures on earth, evolved all these years to be exactly compatible with this atmosphere and habitat, right? If we were anywhere else on any other planet, we'd probably die in a short while without protection

There could be a million other ways life could form, and evolve, on another system, provided the planet has good atmosphere. With that said, it would be difficult to imagine life evolving in outer space. But that's the question, if somehow it did manage to evolve in such a way somewhere out there - or if a species became biologically/technologically advanced enough to survive in outer space

The thought originated from Tardigrades, who are known to be able to survive the radiation and vacuum of space when they go into a dry, hibernation kind of state. And even reproduce after being exposed to space.
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 1680x1050
>>17372489
>fungal growths
>boring
Spore you. Fungi are infinitely more interesting than you shitty inferior organisms. Don't you dare try to compare us to your delicious filth.

One day we shall rule this planet, we will cover it and it shall become the host for our divine body, until we evolve to spread ourselves infinitely among the stars.
>>
>>17371433
...damn.
>>
>>17371531
lol
>>
Maybe the visible universe is the inside a giant alien stomach and black holes are just digestive tracts. Would explain gravity wells and the burning properties of stars. They're like acid.
>>
>>17371397
>impossibly

Well uh
>>
Yeah, sure

Although, I doubt it would be a life form we would recognize.
It would be large and slow as theres not much in the vacuum of space, and it would feed off something like solar radiation; maybe having a type of "fins" that work akin to solar sails to navigate.
It would've had to evolve to this point however, and it's basic biology would have to work in a fundamentally different way than our own.
While it may have something like a plant for photosynthesis (feeding off solar radiation, but more hardy to survive all the forms of radiation, like fungus for the vacuum).
While having a hard exterior shell like a spore.
So maybe a collective fungal/plant being that has a "soft interior" like its own biosphere, but again more hardy to survive space. Within that interior biosphere, it has less hardy forms of its evolutions, and acts as a type of interstellar nursery for life.
It would also probably seed itself among the stars, and would be a grandmother to many through panspermia of its evolutions; through its genetic material (hardy kind) being deposited on planets throughout the galaxy it's within.

So sure, it's possible, but it requires imagination at this point.
>>
File: 1318919952882.jpg (187 KB, 1280x801) Image search: [Google]
1318919952882.jpg
187 KB, 1280x801
>>17372719

Honestly I wonder what it all means. There's so much space, yet impossibly far. So many stars, with the theory that it all started with an explosion. If consciousness didn't exist, though, none of it would exist, because nothing would be alive to acknowledge it. I think we can ultimately agree life was an accident, but what of the origin of the universe? What of the dark vacuum of space? is it conceivable that something has always existed, that it had no beginning and end?

It's depressing that we'll like never find answers to such questions, because we are cheap biological, writhing, fragile creatures after all.
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41 KB, 569x428
>>17371397
>Is there any sliver of evidence that impossibly enormous (from our perspective) creatures might exist somewhere out there in outer space?
Not really, we don't scientifically know anything about extraterrestrial life. We just know mathematically and logically that extraterrestrial life probably does exist.

> I know for example that creatures like tardigrades can survive in outer space while they hibernate
Yep.

>considering there are stars literally 1 million times bigger than our sun, I can imagine such a creature being scaled just as much and with better space-survival capabilities
That's not really how that works. Bigger planet would mean smaller creatures (gravity). What would make them bigger would be the abundance of certain resources (oxygen for oxygen breathing creatures for example).

Speaking of resources consider this:
Ever heard of island dwarfism? Basically lack of resources usually means smaller creatures. So, you're far far more liking to run into a space wasp than a space whale.
>>
>>17372773
IMO life wasn't an "if", but a "when".
As the starting circumstances of our universe had the properties that made us from the beginning.
Furthermore, if you look at carbon and the fundamental properties that make up life on the planet; it has the "perfect" properties to form the fundamental molecules we need to exist as biological entities.

Origin of the universe is potential, but it's structured like fractal due to recursive required circumstances.

>conceivable that....
Sure, just take out time and u have an eternity, i.e. no beginning or end.
Although that's so different than our own state of existence it's almost inconceivable for most.

>It's depressing...
Then seek them?
>>
>>17371748
>>17371748

Space ship would have to have incredible power source.
>>
>>17372794

This is interesting and true, but I think we can't yet imagine the scale of things. The earth is just very small in comparison to other things beyond, even small compared to planets we have here in this galaxy.

Assuming a life form could manage in some reaches of outer space, this "wasp" may very well be the size of a whale to us. Then again, with this kind of thinking, I suppose you can conjure up many thoughts given the unknown
>>
>>17372842
Like he was saying, as long as there's gravity there's an implicit limit on size, but in the vacuum of space there's zero-G.
Due to the above, and the possibility of having an abundance of resources, then it can possibly get to a ridiculous size.
It would have to be ridiculous hardy though.
>>
>>17372854
>but in the vacuum of space there's zero-G.
>and the possibility of having an abundance of resources

These contradict another.
>>
>>17372866
Not necessarily, it matters on what it feeds on anon.
>>
>>17371492
>Mysterious sounds that can't be explained from a vast abyss where no human has ever walked are not spooky
>>
You know the funny thing? Astrophysicists know a lot less than people actually think they do. With all of the concept art, theories and "new discoveries", you'd think we have a good idea of what's out there. But we have no fucking clue.

We don't even know how many planets the nearest solar system has, that's how blind we still are.
>>
File: ;_;.jpg (80 KB, 636x623) Image search: [Google]
;_;.jpg
80 KB, 636x623
>>17371821
>Great attractor is a supermassive matter digester
>used by a advanced civilization to generate gargantuan amounts of power by absorbing matter
>The civilization went extinct eons ago and the contraption is still functioning, absorbing everything in its path

Relics of an ancient civilization are probably the most horrific thing I can think of
>>
File: Star-sizes.jpg (2 MB, 6400x4200) Image search: [Google]
Star-sizes.jpg
2 MB, 6400x4200
>>17371397
I always imagine how huge something would be if it was proportional to its planet like us.
>>
>>17371853
Thousands of krill.
>>
>>17371429
An underwater civilisation would be even more noticeable than a giant monster swimming around.
>>
>>17371397
No matter how big or how small

The Japanese will find a way to make it into food while hunting it into extinction

https://vimeo.com/34696447
>>
File: 4.png (107 KB, 800x388) Image search: [Google]
4.png
107 KB, 800x388
>>17372965

Immortality when? I wish people would stop this shit focus on social issues and get the whole country to study sciences
>>
>>17373019

Replace the shark with a human and the japs with alien life forms

How spoopy would that be?
>>
honestly, we haven't poked around enough yet to know. I read about a theory of either slim to no life. Our space whales flying around uranus and all kinds of stuff going on. Ask again in 10 years.
>>
File: 1.jpg (235 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
235 KB, 1280x720
>>17373057

Actually anon things are pointing to another dark age, civilizations importing immigrants and collapsing and dumb people breeding a hundredfold more than smart people

We dark ages soon anon
>>
>>17373063
yeah well first we were gonna nuke each other, then we were gonna run out of oil. No our fate is far worse. Were gonna drag around existing till were really bored.
>>
File: 230px-Gantzvol1.jpg (22 KB, 230x329) Image search: [Google]
230px-Gantzvol1.jpg
22 KB, 230x329
>>17373041

Read the final arc of Gantz because thats exactly what happens. Humans being processed in an alien slaughterhouse, humans being kept as pets, humans being eaten alive. That last arc was pretty rough, psychologically.
>>
>>17372773
Assuming you're not consious before andor after human death?

Memory and knowledge is a biological machine. Just because you're deaf doesnt mean you dont make noise. Just because you're blind doesnt mean there isn't light, hell theres 'lights' no human will ever see despite their eagle vision. Just because you're paralyzed doesnt mean you aren't moving. ..through space or time. Dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, and don't judge you're conscious by its ability to recite the alphabet. Tfw everything is made up of souls and souls are bound by other souls because physics. Cut off a hand and you're still you. Get a labotomy and you're still you, just different. At what point in the brain do you, stop being you? Find it, extract it, inject it into a sperm, inject said sperm to egg from preferably parents for similar vessel model, reincarnate. Simple. Everything always existed, and so did YOU. We just constantly shift and change and constantly form new things because who the F would actually want to sit on clouds and laugh for ffffffffff eternity? Sometimes 1 year can feel so far away, then you remember 80 years were so short, 1000 years would be great, I'd want to live with my lover for 1,000,000. TIL 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999^999999999999999999999999999999999999999 was a pretty long time, ive achieved absolutely everything HUMANLY possibly and cloned and banged every possible human female etc etc. Happiness is just a drug. Where is this post going? dunno
>>
>>17371431
>>17371748

You know what scared me more as a kid? Spending weeks staying up at night thinking about what fucking things lived in that asteroid field for something that big to eat in the first place.
>>
>>17371397
The scientific consensus is there is life beyond Earth but it cannot travel here because of the vast size of the Universe and the distance involved.
>>
Such a creature could exist in nebulae maybe. Feeding off the ever abundant space dust
>>
>>17373095
gotdam Gantz was great. bums me out that i have run out of mango worth reading
>>
>>17371620
I don't understand how you've reached the conclusion that it is impossible for organisms to breed in space.

Keep in mind we are talking about "kinds of organisms that could conceivable exist in the universe" not fucking dogs or something.
>>
>>17373034
The sad thing is, we're on the verge of understanding enough about ourselves that we could genetically engineer stuff like longevity, higher intelligence etc, possibly even just starting from making clones of already genetically gifted people. But the ethical implications are too great, we're worried that the inferior people will get behind, that we will become the inferior people and get left behind. So we stop something greater than ourselves being made. We let our selfish insecurity and fear continue to hold the evolution of our species back as we insist that it's advancement must remain retarded so that it is fair to us selfish retards who refuse to think of anything but our small selves.

It's really edgy of me to say this, but I hope a new world order does come about. I don't even care if that means I am killed, I'd rather the world be saved through the culling of mankind and a garauntee for a utopian future be made in the extinction of all those who would dirty it than have it continue like this. Polluting our gene pools by allowing the worst of us to breed, and polluting our planet by allowing the worst of us to carelessly do so. I only hope reincarnation exists so that one day we could come back to experience a world without all the imperfection.
>>
>>17373095
>>17373189
one of the best mangas ever created, genius status
>>
>>17373149
Thousands and thousands of mynocs
>>
>>17373230

>yfw the rich get to attain biological immortality
>the poor somehow to get ahold of a way to transfer consciousness to a computer chip and become transhuman (human consciousness in robot body)
>poor people litter the streets with half broken robotic arms begging for change
>rise up and kill the "biologically immortal" rich normies
>>
> sub-type-1 civilization
>doesnt even fully understand how a bunch of chemistry can come together as "life"
>incapable of replicating even the simplest organisms of their native world synthetically
>concludeds that any life elsewhere in the universe has to use the same chemistry
>>
>>17373233
>>17373189

Is there an anime and is it good? I never found comics appealing
>>
>>17373258
the anime goes in a weird non-canon direction and only covers a very small part of the story.
>>
>>17371748
just like a whale eating a mass amount of krill at the same time because of the accumulation of energy....you think our solar system and neighboring solar systems could potentially resemble a group of krill...so at any moment we could get devoured by a hungry power unbeknownst to us
>>
File: Tardigrade-2-640x360.jpg (45 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Tardigrade-2-640x360.jpg
45 KB, 640x360
>>17372496
Tardigrades can survive in a vacuum, and withstand a lot of radiation, so it's not completely farfetched. How such a creature would even occur in the first place is a good point tho.
>>
>>17371426
Your sentence structure is in hell.
>>
>>17371504
You realize the sun is a star, right?
>>
>>17373249
That's the problem though, if we have all of us here on earth, all the poor retards and rich narcissists, something like this will never work. It will just result in a further class divide and more "ethical" issues about equality and feelings, how we should have more genetically inferior children and force them into a crippled existence so that we can feel good about ourselves.

We all need to die and be replaced with robots or scientists who will build humanity back up again but with intelligent design.
>>
>>17373303

Who the fuck said the sun isn't a star?
>>
>>17371916
This is true.
>>
>>17373230
Working on it. Ill publish it in oh about 10 years? Stay alive until then. If you can't, preserve your body as best you can. You won't retain your knowledge but your conscious will be reborn.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 434x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 434x736
>>17372773
>>17372773
Stop saying the Big Bang was an explosion. It was an expansion. Some of us were there, and you should respect that.
>>
>>17373335

Actually cryofreezing is already gaining foot in science, there was an article about how they cryopreserved a rabbit brain and returned it perfectly intact

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2016/02/10/Cryonics-breakthrough-Frozen-rabbit-brain-sucessfully-returned/3361455113751/

Safe to say it will be possible to preserve your body in the near future
>>
>>17372854
Gravity is everywhere homie. Just because it's effects are minimal relative to your location, doesn't mean it's not there.
>>
>>17372965
VY Canis Majoris < your mom
>>
>>17373348
True that anon

I did mean in a relative sense - to f.e. our planets gravity - without considering the inverse square law
>>
>>17373335
>>17373343
Fuck that. This body is ugly, flawed on a genetic level and scarred. I would rather be reborn entirely, or just stay dead. There are some things I highly doubt even the flow of time could fix, and I imagine trying to adjust to a better future the way I am now would be even more awful than trying to adjust to this shithole we have today.

All that matters is that humanity continues on to become something better, so that nobody else has to be born into this world constantly trying to fix or overcome their imperfections never getting to see the stars. Even if I don't get to reincarnate to be one of them, I want to build a better future for them so that they can carry on to impossible ends, exploring and mapping out the universe, experiencing it in full without having to fear inevitable decay as we do.
>>
File: 1361423804133.jpg (431 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1361423804133.jpg
431 KB, 1920x1080
>you will never go exploring another planet from another galaxy
>you will never experience the fear, the wonder of uncovering what has been unknown for so long

I honestly hope there's something after death. This fucking sucks.
>>
>>17373379

Honestly I think the best think we can hope for is indeed cryo-presevation in the near future, with a will to transfer our consciousness to a computer chip in the future. Wouldn't you agree?

The only scary thing about it is that who's going to make sure you are kept intact and safe for that long, unless you're a rich person with a lot of influence and a known name.
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 750x1334
>>17373390
But if there is nothing after death, then you don't have to worry about it. Don't you want to be free from the burden of needing to hope for something better all the time, of finding even the next life and its treats ultimately unsatisfactory as you did in this life?

Think about it, thousands of years ago people would have wished for what you have now, and yet you just want what lies in the future. Do you really think you will be happy, or even willing, to do all that on other planets when you do not on this one?

You will just be a space NEET watching robotically produced super anime and dreaming of higher dimensions on 40000chan
>>
>>17373415

You have to understand where society has gone to realize that your statement is incorrect. I do not genuinely believe people from the past would see people today and think they'd have loved this lifestyle. Old people all the time say they wonder how we can spend so much time on the computer, and say it's bad for our health. The reason there are so many NEETs now is because males have very little to strive for. Fewer men pursue relationships, 70+% of young men are not married now.

Back then there was excitement about exploring the new world, there was a driving force. Even during the wild west there was something to strive for, a claim to land and life. Nowadays what do we have to achieve? Some shit apartment for most, a shit job and no hope for a good relationship with a woman.

I wouldn't be a space NEET at all, my friend
>>
File: 1455545628864.gif (754 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
1455545628864.gif
754 KB, 1008x720
>this entire thread
God fucking dammit. Why are we here? What is the truth to the universe? Why is there a truth?

When, How , What and WHY?
>>
>>17373230
I wish there were more people like you. I agree with you one hundred and twenty percent. Can you run for president? Please man.
>>
>>17373442

You only have to look towards a grasshopper. What happened when it died? Nothing, it didn't affect this world, we didn't even notice it, and neither did the world.

I think the ultimate red pill is to realize life is just another cycle. Unless we somehow achieve immortality, assuming we figure out how the consciousness works, we will just perish into nothing like everything else.

The point though, that's the curious part. And it's frustrating because we will never really know. The whole empty space, the empty darkness around us, where did it come from and what is it? Has it always been there? Was there a beginning to it? If there was a beginning to it, then what was the beginning of that? I think ultimately there must be a singular thing that always existed, and that's very hard to conceive, isn't it?

It's beyond the scope of our logic
>>
>>17371397
My true greatest fear, has always been a giant space monster. Obviously, no one wants to look up and see something larger than a planet, but I've even rationalized it a bit. There could be, something out there at least, amoeba like in nature. A giant, semi amorphous blob travelling space, simply absorbing planets as it goes.
>>
>>17373484

You're projecting now, I never said it was a NEET, that was your assumption from the start.

Myself, I'm a researcher in my university, and I am actually working on problems that have not been solved before. The only way you could possibly have this insight is if you yourself are a NEET, in which case you are self loathing. You blatantly ignored the statistic of 70%+ men not marrying anymore.

With relationships with women at that level, men have little to strive for - men have always been driven by that life, to attain a partner and provide. It's in our nature. Now that it's falling apart, you find less men going to universities, and a lot more NEETs.
>>
For me this sort of thing has also been absorbed into a fear of things like black holes. Massive, and undetectable. Imagine it, one day we're a planet, and the next second we're gone. In a single flash, thousands of years of lives, development and civilization, have just been rendered moot.

These thoughts are what push me to wanting to help space travel.
>>
>>17373510

I'm the kind who thinks space travel is a lost cause for the time being, we're just so far from the goal of attaining a pace that would make interstellar travel possible. Maybe it's possible, maybe it's not. But in my opinion, immortality would be much easier if we just figure out how the brain works and store information.

Once we eliminate time as a factor, then hopefully we can focus on the next step, visiting beyond our own galaxy. And as was said here >>17372185 even if we achieve light speed, it would take a long time to actually get across to other galaxies. Hence why I believe immortality is the natural first step.
>>
>>17373535
I see your point, but that really doesn't go against my issue with some unseen action wiping the entire world out forever in an instant. For me, it's like a sort of claustrophobia, you could say. I don't mind it taking ages to get somewhere, we'll make it work. The original moon-lander had less tech in it than an iphone, if we put our backs into it, we can make it to other earthlike worlds.

Also, as a little tidbit, it's also interesting to think of early voyages like that. I've always enjoyed the little story of a low tech ship being sent out to colonize, and in the many years since it was sent out, humanity had developed enough to get there before the ship ever arrived.
>>
>>17373551
>>17373503

Have to agree with this fear, and it's also precisely a driving factor for us to achieve a more capable body that can withstand at least some such events, like a sudden burst of radiation. It just feels so helpless and frightening that we really could end like that, having explored nothing at all as a species.

The worst part? It's happened before, species have dominated and have perished. We may think we are smarter, but we don't know enough to prevent something on that kind of scale. I'm betting most solutions would be to "retreat into some shelter and wait it out", this of course doesn't address an event where the whole planet might experience a catastrophe.

So yeah, we need to move our minds to rough, self-repairing, carbon fiber bodies as soon as possible.
>>
Interesting thread

If a star can be "born" and can "die" why isn't it considered living?
I mean, fuck, we know so little.

No one has stopped to think that the universe is so vast that the concept of "life" might be reletive?
>>
For something like a space whale to exist it would need to have to be subjected to a strange environment for evolution.

Imagine several small planets near each other with low gravity and creatures like manta rays or dolphins making the journey from planet A to planet B in order to forage or reproduce like sea turtles or trout.

In that circumstance I could see a creature evolving to live in the vacuum of space, possibly storing oxygen or converting particles found in space to breathable atmosphere inside a pocket in its own body.
>>
>>17371473
>>17371527
>>17371581
>>17371620
>>17371672
>>17371869
The mistake you're making is applying the rules for earth life to other planets. We have a very specific type of life here. Carbon based, breathes gasses, use water. Life on other planets could be so radically different that there's just no way to know what to actually expect. A planet of silicon based life may need diffrent things than our life does.
>>
>>17373723
This.
>>
>>17373599
>If a star can be "born" and can "die" why isn't it considered living?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life#Biology
>>
>>17373599
Are you genuinely retarded or just pretending?
>>
>>17373602
Think about it more like an ecosystem. One big creature housing a host of symbiotes. Think about it, larger is better because significant gravity draws resources.
>>
>>17372496
What makes you think because earth organisms cant, that nothing can?
>>
>>17371510

>there's plenty of stuff out there that violates our current laws

Name one.

If there's stuff we know of that violates our laws, they aren't laws R-tard.
>>
>>17373806
Plus, Earth organisms not having done it yet doesn't mean can't do it ever.
>>
Due to the infinite size of the universe, and matter only having a finite number of combinations, what's the possibility we all exist somewhere out there in the universe?
>>
>>17373489
Many people that actually study/research this at a university level for years all come to the conclusion that it must be created by a higher power.
>>
>>17373814
Spoken like a man with zero physics education. Dark matter was proposed due to violation of law. Same with Schrodinger's formulae. Whole categories of stars violate current rules. Hell, we just reset kelvin. Laws are for engineers, not scientists.
>>
>>17371473
>A sound, logical response
WE DUNNO BOUT THEORY UNIVERSE BRO. PHYSICS DONT APPLY FOR SPACE MONSTERS QUEER
>>
>>17373800
>>17373803
Not the quoted poster, but you guys missed the point where the quoted anon said the concept of life is relative.
>>
>>17373803
Not that anon but fuck off shithead. Can you say anything other than the regurgitated "are you dumb dude durr durr"
>>
>>17371441
Europa scares the shit out of me.
>>
Dross made a video about it,according to that,a huge creature was spotted in the outer space but later days that shit disappeared.
>>
File: 1450651764435.jpg (244 KB, 1203x1447) Image search: [Google]
1450651764435.jpg
244 KB, 1203x1447
>>17373415
>thousands of years ago people would have wished for what you have now
>mfw not even 75 years ago would they have wished for the way it is now
>mfw fucking repulsed by this statement and trolls like you that exist
>>
File: 3483242-1827620361-monit.jpg (96 KB, 426x640) Image search: [Google]
3483242-1827620361-monit.jpg
96 KB, 426x640
>>17372719
JUST
>>
>>17371397
The bigger the star, the shorter its lifespan.
About your question, there's only speculation.
>>
>>17371473
Murphy's law...
>>
File: 023180-australia-japan-whaling.jpg (76 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
023180-australia-japan-whaling.jpg
76 KB, 650x366
>>17371565
It's terrifying to me too. Imagine the response it would get.
>>
Bump. One of the better discussion threads in quite some time I think
>>
>>17374103
yeah.

everyones nukes.
>>
>>17373230

The scribblers are closing in. The moralists and the ethicists. With their "concern" about human life. Isn't it amazing how we throw prisoners in jail for life sentences but if we mention using them for experiments people go batshit?

The worst part is the whole idea of equality. All men are not equal. Equality is a myth and a lie fabricated by the lowest of human society when they feel they deserve what greater men than them possess. I'm still in university myself and I'm not the greatest student but even I can see that. But so long as this garbage persists scientific experimentation will stagnate.

>>17373432
I don't understand where this whole NEET thing is coming from. The rates of marriage and birth rates have decreased for sure but you can hardly argue that's a problem. Most marriages fail and the world doesn't need an even larger population because it becomes increasingly difficult to sustain them.

Secondly don't use relationships as some kind of important factor where learning is concerned. The reason most educated people even get married anymore (at least US wise) is to pay less in taxes. The marriage is 80% economic and 20% relationship.
The true driving force was learning and invention to make money and unfortunately most people think we've learned and invented most of the necessary and best things in terms of money. There's no more true innovation. And that comes about because no one can be a bill gates anymore. To learn all the things necessary to develop an impressive piece of technology you need higher education.

TL;DR the world is too circular. People aren't equal and they don't want to admit it.
>>
>>17373723
that's not the point, it boils down to physics in a way. in order to breed, the parents have to lend part of its mass and its energy to their offspring. in space this is a problem, because space is a huge load of nothing and no energy and mass are available for the species to feed on it
>>
>>17374045
>more technologically advanced than we've ever been
>shit like the Internet, a whole collection of human knowledge at your fingertips, was nothing more than a dream several decades ago
>can literally travel the planet cheaper and faster than ever
>can talk to pretty much anyone regardless of where you are in the world instantaneously
>"not even 75 years ago would they have wished for it the way it is now"

You wouldn't have had the Internet to fill your head with bullshit 75 years ago, yet here we are in the technological age where you can shitpost with ease.
>>
>>17374279
There's nothing but energy and mass out there. How do you think black holes and stars exist?
>>
>>17374284
You forgot to post the vast amount of negatives. Like the world living on a knife edge of some insane dictator. Religious extremists murdering people who believe something different.
The world isn't all rainbows and sparkles is what I'm saying.
>>
>>17372644
Also potentially solar winds, but the are pretty weak actually so maybe not
>>
I had a dream about this once
>finally after thousands of years we reach the depths of space
>not a single sign of life so far
>then we come across a suitable planet to host life, even after all this time still hoping we are not alone
>when we explore the planet, we discover something shocking
>humans
>but they all act like animals, walking on all fours, different heights and shapes acting like different animals
>some larger ones violently hunting and eating smaller ones
>then something seems off about the plants
>the trees have contorted human faces, looking like a twisted human body reaching upwards with branches bursting through their arms
>nope the fuck out of there
>get back to the ship, it's empty
>suddenly a huge shadow seems to block out this systems sun, possibly bigger than the planet itself
>swing shit around a bit
>see the figure illuminated by the sun
>it's a face, glassy eyes and smiling, a giant human head attached to a body obscured by the dark, seeming to reach infinitely down into space
>follows ship regardless of where I move it
>wake up
>>
>>17373230
That is not how you use the term edgy, anon
>>
>>17371555
trips confirms it
>>
many generations from now the concept of "life" in terms of existing outside of our planet will be drastically redefined. It's possible. there isn't really a sense of scale for anything when you factor in the infinite.
>>
>>17372688
You're biased.
>>
>>17374267
I actually disagree pretty heavily. I want stuff like genetic engineering to come about, but I want it because I have concern with human life. There are a lot of things that could be done without needing to go full evil scientists and kidnapping babies to mutate into abominations. I think the biggest issue is less to do with any objective concern, taking into consideration the benefit to humanity, and more subjective personal concern about where *they* would fit into this.

If you tell them that they can have genetic engineering that will be capable of effecting everyone? They'll be fine with it. But you tell them that you want to make the future generation greater than all that came before it? It threatens their egos, they rush to god, to "ethics", so they can justify halting the advancement of a species without admitting they're doing it for an extremely selfish reason; their own insecurity. Our natural fear of change and being left behind.

It's this selfish hubris that has doomed this fucking planet. If we could just go find another and start genetics engineering there, away from the grip of society, that would be great. But we only have this planet, and it is dying. Unless humanity either cleans up their act or gets culled within the next 30 years, everything will die. And honestly, issues like this show that humans as we are now are too stubborn and selfish, we refuse to think beyond our own little bubbles, to care about others the way we wished to be cared about. I'd be happy to just let humanity burn itself out, suffering the brunt of its ignorance. After all, they had the right to choose. But we will also take down everything else, innocents that did nothing to deserve this, and I'm not sure their suffering is worth giving humanity the reward of it's actions.
>>
Just gonna throw this out there tardigrades can survive in the vacuum of space
>>
File: Fantasy.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1201) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1201
>>17374279

I've always believed that we already have biological immortality, in a way. That the moment we breed, we basically make a living being out of our own structure. This is a child who looks like us, has our features, most of the time our personality. Of course, the offspring has the DNA of both the father and the mother, but you could say that far back in the time both of the parent's lines were one. You could think of humanity as one whole organism that has expanded and self-reproduced, that the male and female aspects are just a way for such organisms to spread more successfully. The same applies to other animals in the kingdom of course.

Question is, you then have to wonder what really makes us human beings, what makes us *us*. Maybe our driving force to reproduce, which you could say is one of the strongest forces in nature, is a mechanism so that this organism to expand.

>>17374550

I think what he meant to say was that we are too focused on social issues and not enough on scientific expansion. A look at history reminds us that there are far too many similarities between what occurred on the days before the collapse of Rome and what exists today. People whoring around, nobody bothering to raise kids right anymore, hypergamy, adultery, mass immigration, low birth rates. Barbarians overtook Rome then, and what followed were the dark ages. We should indeed fear another era similar to the dark ages, as it would tremendously delay scientific advancement. Although it may be far fetched to say such a thing is possible now.
>>
>>17373723
Carbon based life is really the only viable model for life because a) it's one of only a few atoms that has 4 spots to bind to and b)costs very little energy to form said bonds. Even if silicon based life exists it would need to have ungodly huge metabolism to be able to create organic molecules and they would wind up being too heavy to work properly anyway.

Even if such a lifeforms did exist basic chemistry tells us that carbon based life forms would so massively outperform them that they'd quickly go extinct. And unless the planet was devoid of carbon to begin with there is no reason why life wouldn't develop as carbon based anyway.
>>
File: AlienMegaStructures.jpg (192 KB, 968x545) Image search: [Google]
AlienMegaStructures.jpg
192 KB, 968x545
The interesting thing is that there are already some things scientists can't explain. Has anyone heard about these "alien megastructures"? They had a big scientific, normal theory about what these things were but that was proved to not be the case.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28786-comets-cant-explain-weird-alien-megastructure-star-after-all/

The "exciting theory" is that this star has alien megastrutures around it, harnessing its energy. Now, imagine if that was possible - this civilization would have to be tremendously advanced, and tremendously enormous to even conceive building AROUND a fucking star like this. Considering the time it would take, they would certainly have attained immortality and hardiness to even consider such a long and dangerous feat.
>>
>>17374661
So a dyson sphere
>>
>>17374689

Yeah pretty much
>>
>>17372964
don't get me on this shit mayen
>>
File: VY-Canis-Majoris.png (206 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
VY-Canis-Majoris.png
206 KB, 700x700
>>17371473
>The largest known star, Canis Majoris, is roughly 1,500 times the size of the sun.
>>
>>17371473
UY Scuti is even bigger
>>
>>17371821
>image
jesus christ I never even read about that supercluster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo
>>
>>17374717

>we're on the outskirts

Shit mane, can you imagine what it's like at the center, with all of those older galaxies there? Think of us as some old shitty shack out in the woods while there it's like NYC. I'm betting all kinds of interesting shit and species has occurred and interacted with one another there.
>>
>>17371466
>>17371514
http://www.nasa.gov/wav/123163main_cas-skr1-112203.wav

dude it sounds like hell.
>>
>>17372816
You're so fucking stupid.
>>
>>17373318
I'd recommend that you either learn to communicate effectively and work diligently on your reading comprehension skills, or kill yourself.
>>
>>17374832

You're telling me to work on my reading comprehension skills then you're the stupid fuck who thought someone was saying the sun wasn't a star.

It's clear from the sentence that it's comparing our sun, our star, with stars out there. You're the narrow-minded autistic fuck who should reconsider your IQ
>>
What you are all forgetting is that the moons, planets, stars and blackholes Are supermassive life forms. That feed off one another. All the creatures that live on them are just parasites.
>>
>>17371424
Actually, our planet's gravity is denser than it was during the Triassic-Cretacious. Pretty sure oxygen was even lower back then. Even in the permian, giant bugs were from a lack of predation, not more oxygen. Fucking BBC teaching now debunked theories.
>>
>>17374832
you're an idiot
>>
>>17372964

Interstellar 2 baybeeeeeee
>>
>>17374659
Not necessarily. Carbon based life is just the only form that we are familiar with. If carbon based life were so efficient why does every physicist agree that moving from biological bodies into robotic bodies would be so much greater? The only need for energy could be fully satisfied by solar power.

Life developed as carbon because its one of the simplest atoms. It could be even simpler if they developed out of any atom lower on the periodic table and evolve to be much more complex. Say instead of having a double helix structure of DNA it could be a quadruple helix structure.

All I'm saying is that even scientists have a hard time trying to predict what other life forms could look like because we've never seen any other functional life forms. But it doesn't mean that there cant be others. The view you hold is too human-centric
>>
>>17374287
yeah, but what do you think is between black holes and stars? absolutely nothing. a space traversing species would find it very hard to breed while travelling from one amount of matter and energy to the other because they have nothing to sustain themselves with.
>>
>>17375111
The vacuum isn't actually a vacuum friend. Its flooded with cosmic dust a debris. Water (ice), with lots of rocks probably filled with amino acids and shit.
>>
>>17374840
>this assblasted that he was called out for being retarded
It's time to go outside, anon. Take a deep breath and reconsider your life.
>>
There is your silver lining :
http://youtu.be/L_x0abB40mo
>>
>>17375148
don't reply to the trolls man. they'll go away soon.
>>
>>17375148

>lel you mad

Disappointing
>>
>>17371473
But they did exist. Theyre have been herbivorous dinosaurs way bigger than blue whales. Sure the earth was different but they were able to support their size.
>>
>>17371473
The only creature that could survive in outer space would be a plant, living in the gases of a nebula and by a star. Living solely off of the radiation and elements as it floats by. It probably wouldn't be sentient, but it could have its own solar sails to navigate itself.
>>
>>17372010
Yeah, it's fucked because basement dwellers like >>17371966 have nothing better to do with their time than try to get rise out of people using "le ebin trollz xD". Can't have a thoughtful discussion anymore without these losers brushing the cheeto dust off their keyboard and spilling the cancerous contents of their shitty minds onto the thread.
>>
Main problem comes from the resources this creature would need to survive day to day and sustain itself. Also the unlikelihood of such creature coming out of natural selection, mostly because I can't imagine what would have to lead up to it evolving in such a way.
If it's not carbon based terrestrial like organism and possibly even a synthetic one, sure why not.
>>
>>17375196
Where are you getting your information from? It is widely known that the blue whale is the largest known creature to have ever inhabited the planet.
>>
>>17375221
>Argentinosaurus and a handful of other titanosaurs
>>
>>17375202
The minute you have that, something else will come along that survives by eating that. And so on and so forth until the nebula is flooded with things eating one another. And its possible that some of those things could be very large and quite omnivorous!
>>
>>17375235
>Argentinosaurus
Is currently estimated to have been less than half the length or weight of an average adult blue whale.
>>
I liked Highly Paranormal Janitor's threads about space whales.

He described them as not being "whales" in any real sense of shape, but just in their size. And that shooting stars were the result of of their bodies gettin caught in earth's atmosphere and burning out like meteorites. He even claimed that the Tunguska Event was caused by one, and that the reclaimation of its shell (hard exterior remains) provided the insight that kick started the space race.

It was fascinating shit.
>>
>>17375252
Or yknow...this thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unnamed_Patagonian_titanosaur_(2014)

Regardless, all i am saying is that things did grow massive with the right evolutionary environment.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.