[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mythopoeia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Tolkien_1916.jpg (99 KB, 327x473) Image search: [Google]
Tolkien_1916.jpg
99 KB, 327x473
Blake, Lovecraft, and Tolkein's constructed mythologies are all interesting. I say we work together to come up with our own mythos.
>>
Awesome idea! What sort of things would you want to put in a mythos? I think we would need egregores, spiritual practices and sigils, astral jazz, dragons and cryptobeasts, and a shit ton of spirits and elemental gods.
>>
DM of the pillar reporting in
First thing: you gotta come up with a Genesis
Adam and Eve? Gods creating a bunch of races? Space colons?
>>
>>17367919
Actually I think Tolkein said the first thing to come up with was a language.

Or is it language originates from myths?
>>
>>17367943
>>17367919
Symbols described the world to prehistoric man, and all symbols contain myths. We should come up with symbols describing stuff in our new world that will allow people to delve into the mythos we are building.
>>
>>17367943
It does. Tolkien didn't create sindarin or quenya one beautiful morning then only created Arda and all his mythos, he made it up along with his universe, coming up with names and legends to tell with those languages. But Tolkien is a bad example of technique, look up Edgar Howard's Conan: here you got a whole universe, built up from scratch, and all the characteristics of what we call now fantasy.
>>
>>17367919
A Genesis myth is perfect though. I always liked the mesoamerican concept of man made from clay the gods were sculpting.
>>
>>17367959
Man made from clay / ground / dirt is used in so many things, from Abramahic to Greek, let alone Mesoamerican.
>>
>>17367919
I like the space colons thing, remember Lanfeust des étoiles?
>>
What setting does our mythos exist in? Our own reality? Maybe we could incorporate history into our mythos.

Also, being that our time is the most technologically advanced, we should probably stay within the realm of what is scientifically known, in other words, no early Greek cosmogony beliefs about how the earth, sun and moon are the only things to exist.

Personally, I think we should create a mythology based around concepts such as the internet without going too much into cyberpunk / neuromancer territory.
>>
>>17367978
>In the beginning, there was nothing.
>And from this nothing, came a god: Raptor Jesus
>And his word was kek
> And his will was dank
>>
>>17367961
>>17367978

Ok, hmm, maybe a more modern mythos then, something derived from our own scientific knowledge in the 21st century?

How about Man mande from the divine romance of Light and Gravity, Photons and Dark Matter. The Internet is a portal into our own collective subconscious, alive itself as a growing embryo of digital information and holographic data. The Internet can be the "deluge" of the Astral, the Celestial or Heavenly, and the Digital as the Underworld, the World of the Dead, or Xibalba...
>>
>>17367987
Based on the concept of the internet, not based on culture of the internet.

The internet is basically chaos. Where everyone can link themselves up to it, but the longer you stay connected, the more insane you get.
>>
>>17368002
>edgefag detected
The concept of billions of minds networked together is awesome for a novel or a movie, but not for a mythos with a lot of lore.
>>
>>17368017
just throwing out ideas, >>17367997 has better thoughts though.
>>
>>17368026
I mean we don't have to do something involving the internet but its defs a cool route because we'll get to invent stuff along the lines of "internet dragons". i mean, what im ingaining in my head is something like a gigantic tolkien battle but in VR in the depths of the unexplored net, digital fish and all that
>>
>>17368029
I'm really more interested in the monsters that will evolve out of the mythos myself. Its why I prefer the Odyssey to the Iliad. I like reading about the monsters in ancient beliefs.

Rather than the internet, outer space is probably a better starting point. Some kind of mythos linked to the planets.
>>
>>17367882
4chan did have one as such, the long cat etc stuff.
>>
>>17368035
Yes! Monsters would be an awesome aspect of this mythos, like any other.

So, you could have the solar system and astronomy/astrology be the Heavens, Earth be the middle ground or playing field for the "races" in the setting, and the Internet would be the Underworld. Kinda cool!

The planets all have the names of Roman gods, maybe we could look into what those gods represented and work from there, developing symbols and myths...
>>
hey kaoycella. i remember you from 420chan. how's the meta-set coming along? crazy synchronicity this thread, i was about to meet up with a real life friend to smoke and discuss hyperfictional endeavours
>>
>>>/tg/
>>
>>17368082
Haha hey man, its good. I just started posting again but the metaset is good, working on my astral body with it, ts good makes me feel healthy! You don't happen to have one yourself do you? I always wonder if people take my advise and make one...
>>
>>17368135
What is this meta-set thing? It seems interesting. New thread?>>17368135
>>
THIS WILL FAIL JUST LIKE THE /x/ BOOK.

You fuckers will whine and wail and claim I am a shill or worse. In a couple months you wont have anything to show for it besides wasted time.
>>
>>17368167
If you give me a more soecific prompt I can try and answer like questions and make a new thread like that? I don't realy know whewre to start...
>>
>>17368180
What is à meta-set ? I said new thread because it was off topic in this one
>>
>>17368200
Ok, I'kll make up a new thread for it and link it back in this thread. STill, some more questions would be better to start with...
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 500x339
>>17368135
No, I don't have a metaset currently. I began working on a similar idea, however, back in 2012 when I was experiencing a psychotic episode / spiritual awakening. Unfortunately, I destroyed all the work when I grew paranoid that the government / Archons were moving in on me. I have recently been gravtating back toward the idea again though. I've been reading a lot about Greek and Egyptian philosophical practices these days. Kinda reminds me of the same thing. I wrote down some shit while high the other day. Something about a hexaphrenic schema of cosmic romance. In short, a dual duality of tetrad elemental material forces and a single spiritual polarity. I even drew some pictures of characters representing these six forces as absolute individuals / deities. The two spiritual forces would be the Logos and the Alogos. I speculate that they are each others mirror reflection. The mind is a mirror. Reality is a mirror. Imagine a light inside a mirrored cube. The ligt is reflected by all six faces. More interestingly, I propose that there is no way of divining whether a sage serves the logos or the alogos without recourse to subjective opinion. Has definitely aided me in my light body operations and shadow assimilation programs. Should read into I-Ching. Supposedly they got hexagrams too. Pic semi-related.
>>
>>17368219
What is a metaset? What is it used for? How does one create a metaset? Are there any resources you would recommend? Do you have a theory behind your metaset? Or is your metaset its own theory?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.