[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey. What are your thoughts on neo-pagan religions? I have a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: pentagram.png (5 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
pentagram.png
5 KB, 230x219
Hey. What are your thoughts on neo-pagan religions? I have a huge interest in such religions, I feel like I can relate to them a great bit. Just wanted to get some actual opinions from some folks that know a little about something. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>17367277
>What are your thoughts on neo-pagan religions?

The One True God owned them.
>>
>>17367277
Pagan is very offenisve word, that can be translated to non believer, used by christians.
>>
I'm a norse pagan. My gods are pretty cool.
>>
>>17367277
cringeworthy roleplaying for autists, manchildren and incels
>>
>>17367312
The context has changed. Now we're just "heretics".
>>17367336
Same. Hail Odin.
>>
>>17367344
>>17367344
>>17367344
>>17367344
This.
>>
>>17367344
t. monotheist LARPer
>>
>>17367368
>be pie-gun
>make assumption
>accuse others of LARPing
>>
>>17367381
>be monotheist
>raid pagan threads and shouts "LE ROLEPLAYING MANCHILDREN"
>find out i was roleplaying the entire time
>t. monotheist LARPer
>>
>>17367277
They are a result of and simultaneously miss the message of the dawning of the age of horus that we can follow our own aesthetic. We are unbound by tradition and all is but a means to an end.
>>
>>17367277
It's fun to see Germanic Heathens get triggered by Wicca. Praise be the Horned God, fuckers.
>>
>>17367428
Wiccans would be cool if they weren't hipster feminist faggots.
>>
>>17367277
Pagan religions are moribund. If that isn't enough for you, fine. It is for me.
>>
>>17367394
>be open-minded oh so tolerant pie-gun
>just can't stop assuming
>>
>>17367277
paganism is a broad, and I mean BROAD, term. Norse, Wiccan, and Satan worship fall under this term, for example. I would recommend getting a more refined idea of what you want to know than ask anywhere but here.
>>
Larpers wearing the skin of a dead religion. They have no history or real connection to anything .
>>
Who /covenlife/ here?
>>
>>17368337
this
really

This is why these threads always devolve into shitposting. No real questions, and lots of anti-pagan sentiment. Now I'm gonna save this thread with a more specific question I've had for a while now.

The founder of Wicca, Gerald Gardner, once claimed that homosexuality would bring down the "curse of the goddess" - a divine punishment. Most contemporary wiccans have abandoned this concept.

What was the theological basis for this claim?

Was there a nontheological influence?

Did Gardner or any of his followers go into detail about what this curse entailed? (Christians who condemn homosexuality often talk of needing to do penance in life or risk suffering in hell. Any analogues to this?)

Why has this been rejected by contemporary adherents?
>>
>>17369162
There was no theological basis. Homosexuality was illegal and taboo in 1950s England and he was either in agreement with this policy and feared that his movement would begin sheltering gay members, or he didn't agree but didn't want to risk breaking the law.
>>
>>17369162
Gardner made a fertility sex cult ;such a system obviously frowns upon sex acts that do not create life. As to why it is rejected now ,its merely an evolution of the collected morals of the hippies that latched onto his system. They then got butthurt over his writing and now actively reject the works of Gardner. Its all very strange honestly.
>>
File: 1441835184617-3.jpg (236 KB, 651x651) Image search: [Google]
1441835184617-3.jpg
236 KB, 651x651
>>17367281
>being this ignorant of Christianity's Egyptian/Canaanite/Mithraic/Et al origins
>>17367450
true
>>17368337
Satanism is not pagan. That is terribly dense.
>>17368407
>thinking that Nordic heathens have no connection to history
>>
>>17369953
Norse heathenism while better the average neo pagan tripe is still nothing more than a religious Frankenstein. There is no surviving lineages of ANY pagan/ heathen tradition. The best you get is an exercise in experimental archaeology.
>>
>>17369953
this guy gets several things
>>
Neo-pagan "religions" are laughable shit.

I can understand some nations that preserved their pagan tradition, but Europeans... We were Christianized millennia ago, did your father or mother were Pagan? Or maybe you Grandparents were? Doubt that. We don't know a shit about original pagan rites, priest system etc. etc. In "Neo-Paganism" it was invented from nowhere, like it was for Great Pasta Monster. Just replace him with loudly sounding name like "Odin", "Perun" etc and you will see no difference. And "neo-pagans" are no different from them.
>>
>>17370098
Why put religion in quotations? People honoring Gods that have 10's of thousands of years of recorded history somehow less valid than a 2k year old Middle Eastern transplant that wasn't even widely worshipped until 1000 years ago?
>>
>>17370102
Nobody really knows how long they worshipped their Pagan gods - almost every nation had their own. At first.
And second, even if this is true, modern paganism has nothing with believes of ancient people. European nations (and American too) were formed under Christian rule, as Christian ones and with Christian traditions. So it maybe true for Ancient Germanics, but for modern Germans, British, French and Americans - no.
>>
>>17370140
Europe was built by Pagans, Greco-Roman Hellenists specifically, Christianity didn't even have an impact until the second century at the earliest and even then it was mostly just driving the whole thing into the ground.

Christianity taking credit for Europe is like Niggers taking credit for Egypt. no, they just came in at the end and broke shit.
>>
>>17370163

Ancient Europe - maybe (because late pre-Christian Rome can't be called 100% Pagan)
Modern Europe - no.

Pagans didn't explored America and conquered it, but Christian Columbus and Pizarro. First European inhabitants of USA weren't Pagans, neither J.Washington and other Founding Fathers were. Pagans didn't accomplished the Industrial Revolution and created the World we live in. Even Darwin was fervour Christian. So comparing Europeans with Egyptian Arabs is not right.
You can say these successes were based on Greco-Roman base. Yes, but Christians already surpassed it.
I can continue further but it will make no sense because Neo-Paganism is a synthetic, artificial "religion" which have no roots neither in European tradition nor connection with original ancient believes, including Greco-Roman.

Damn, it turns into /pol/-tier discussion.
>>
>>17369162
not a lot of big philosophical movements have happened in the last 75ish years but as a general rule, the religion moves independently of it's founder and expands upon the founder itself.

To my understanding there is no governing body of Wicca nor is there any authority over it beyond whatever authority a group entrusts to it's leader.

as a general rule, we as humans in the 21st century live in a dichotomy. Either we adhere to the letter of the law or the spirit of the law and hardly ever deviate, despite it's advantages on each end of the spectrum. Because of this Muslims can find justification in blowing up a bus, evangelical christians will teach their toddlers how to call a woman a slut as she walks into an abortion clinic and a wiccan will decline to create a creepy sex coven.
>>
>>17367277
Many westerners want more tradition, culture and lifestyle to their religion and protestant Christianity has grown bland. Paganism offers all of that and a sense of command over their environment that Christianity cannot give them.

Paganism isn't a negative thing if you see it through a modern paradigm and perceive it as another path to wisdom and personal truth.
>>
>>17370230
Not entirely true. The catholic church was a technology that the feudal system of Europe required to function. However, the catholic church slowly became obese and overburdened with tradition and self-indulgence that it could no longer compete with a growing merchant class and technological developments.

>Pagans didn't explored America and conquered it

Polynesians, actually.

>You can say these successes were based on Greco-Roman base. Yes, but Christians already surpassed it.

Except they still believed in a flat earth and rebuked the theory of heliocentricy.

>artificial "religion" which have no roots neither in European tradition

Much like christianity, which followed a jew messiah through the levant. The only thing Greco-roman about the story of Christ were the people that killed him.
>>
>>17370261
>Not entirely true. The catholic church was a technology that the feudal system of Europe required to function...

No, you are wrong.
Feudalism is a just development of earlier tribal relations. And it doesn't require Christianity to function. See pagan Magyar kings or Medieval Japan. Also Protestantism was more agressive and fanatical that times.

>Polynesians, actually.

South America speaks Spanish and Portugal, not Polynesian. So North America doesn't speak Old Danish.

>Except they still believed in a flat earth and rebuked the theory of heliocentricy.

Copernicus wasn't Pagan. Neither Galilei was. And Kepler. And many-many scientists after them.

>Much like christianity, which followed a jew messiah through the levant. The only thing Greco-roman about the story of Christ were the people that killed him.

Jesus based on religious tradition existed long before him. That's why you can't Christianity artificial and rootless.
From that time 2000 years have passed. Christian Kings ruled over Europe and common folk professed Christianity. And Christianity built Europe, its culture, nations, traditions etc. It is hard to find traces of original paganism in a modern Western World (maybe some superstitions but they can easily have Christian origin) and connection to Ancient believes vanished long, long ago. Like it or not.
But let's return to Neo-Paganism. Is this the same to what Germanics or Romans believed? No. We barely can reconstruct what original believes they had. But now some people come and say: "Let's worship Gods Germanics worshipped!" How? Where do you know which way they did it? Who said you to do it such way not another? Do you know about ancient rites, holidays, mysteries? There is no answer. Instead of it they just invent it basing on their imagination and call it authentic European religion.
>>
>>17367344
/thread

pagan fur-niggers BTFO
>>
I am pagan, mostly in to wicca
>>
Wicca are kinda like our cousins.. it's a relatively new religion (made in the 1800s by Aleister Crowley). It's just like any other religion: some are cool, some are eh.. they're basically magickal hippies, but like I said. Some are cool.

As for the others.. I don't know much about them
>>
>>17370249
That's one hell of a false dichotomy you ended on.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.