[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Day for Night
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: backscan.jpg (2 MB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
backscan.jpg
2 MB, 1425x1425
Hey /x/ I'm curious: Have any of you tried to live exclusively at night? I don't mean it like as a result of sedentary life or bad sleeping habits as most of us probably go. I mean to orderly invert your sleeping and vigil hours, taking your foods properly, etc..
Just had this thought that maybe the so called biological clock isn't tuned the same for everybody.

Have you tried this? How many days did you last? Were there any changes in stamina, mood, creativity, productivity?

On a side note: I work as a freelancer so I may be able to pull this of at least in that respect. Just want to know of some experiences before going at it.
>>
>>17362539
So this is actually a very bad idea. Your circadian rhythm while adjustable isn't really meant to be fucked with this bad. Sure sleeping during the day here and there and staying up at night isn't that bad for you generally. But doing it for prolonged periods has long lasting and permanent effects on your brain chemistry depending on how long and what you actually do. I was deployed to Iraq for a year and worked exclusively at night the entire time, long story long it fucked me up real good, especially since when I got back and to the real world I ended up getting a night shift job and worked nights for a few years. After a while you start to develop symptoms of insomnia, depression, and other wacky effect from your brain not functioning like it should in the periods for which it is designed. I know have multiple sleep problems and suffer from severe depression. I can't even really approach the subject of the issues one can also develope in terms of eye and mineral deficiencies due to your body being fucking confused as all hell.
>>
>>17362539
>>17362669
TL:DR it's not worth the possible physical and mental side effects.
>>
Sort of, since I've always been more of a night owl, but it's mostly a result of bad sleeping habits mixed with minor illness. It's really unpleasant, though, and as a result my eyes are even more sensitive to light than normal, for one thing. I strongly recommend you don't do this unless it's absolutely necessary for a job or something. Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about. >>17362669
>>
>>17362669
Wow, this sounds fucking severe... I'm sorry you have to go through that. I totally don't need to fuck with my mild depression really. I just happen to perceive enhanced clarity and order to my thoughts late at night and was tempted to explore the potential behind.
But I recognize it's too extreme an idea.
Thanks for your input! And hope you get better
>>
>>17362675
No it's not necessary at all really. One only wants to take advantage of anything that seems to promise wellbeing. I refuse meds because I can't conceive the idea of having to depend on that to function better. And this seemed plausible and certainly more 'natural' than that.
Thank you!
>>
File: 1454568907186.gif (1 MB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1454568907186.gif
1 MB, 267x200
>>17362539
I wouldn't recommend it OP. Been a security guard on graveyard shift for near two years now and it sucks balls. I don't really know about the depression part but the insomnia part is definitely fucking true, and I start to feel disconnected from friends and family sometimes because of my fucked up sleep schedule. Doesn't help that I take classes in the morning and tend to sleep in the heat of the afternoon too.

If you end up doing it for whatever reason the best advice I can give is hit the sack while its still dark out and keep your bedroom as blackout dark as you possibly can. You can fool your body into thinking you're still sleeping properly about half the time that way. I still don't recommend it if you can avoid it. This nocturnal shit is for the birds.
>>
>>17362732
>I refuse meds because I can't conceive the idea of having to depend on that to function better.

While big pharma may be evil and our society in general is overmedicating or downing pills improperly, that doesn't mean all medication is bad for you. There are some people out there who literally cannot function without their medication and are really helped by it, so don't dismiss everything entirely.
>>
>>17362539
i've done it

it's harder to get chores done, I spent more time on the computer, depressing
>>
>>17362669
Not trying to be rude, but your experience was during being in the military.

There is no way I can just assume the problems you mentioned were just caused by staying up nights.
>>
>>17363923
>>17363923
>it's harder to get chores done, I spent more time on the computer, depressing

Thank you. Either way I don't think you approached it as I suggested. I meant to work, eat, get chores done, do exercise and so on, during the night. Like, spending all day on the computer is as depressing and boring as doing it trough the night.
This stupid idea of mine came through observing how I get significantly more efficient and enthusiastic about projects, etc..

Hey by the way I came to /x/ to discuss this basically because I figured muh vampyr people must lurk here of all boards. Hope it's not that off topic! This is my second board.
>>
>>17362748
>If you end up doing it for whatever reason the best advice I can give is hit the sack while its still dark out and keep your bedroom as blackout dark as you possibly can. You can fool your body into thinking you're still sleeping properly about half the time that way.
That's one valuable tip I'm sure.
>>
>>17362755
No no I'm sure meds can help me alot, for real. It's just that I'm not comfortable with taking those for years and eventually having to suffer through meltdowns when I can't afford them or whatever. That's a worst picture than I can imagine being right now.
I'd like to overcome my fears and demotivation taking some side path. Those are harder and longer I know but I think in the long run much more rewarded.
>>
>>17362539

I sleep whenever I feel like...

...once you properly and naturally fall into a rhythm of staying up at night it's actually pretty fun...

The only time it's been negative is when I tried to force it.

Forget assholes talking about "natural" sleeping habits unless they're telling you to sleep when you feel like it.

Plenty of tribal cultures to this date sleep during the day and ensure they are up at dawn and dusk since they are better hunting hours.

Don't be a slave to the Jewy system of 9-5.

It's a feeling you can't achieve elsewhere if you get up at 10PM and are vital and awake for 4AM, going outside completely peaceful in an empty city.
>>
>>17364061
Yes this is kind of where I'm coming from. I get that increased awareness that's precious. The beauty of nighttime is certainly a thing.
I have tried to force it back to a normal routine but I just end up feeling real shitty during the day and then not even sleeping much either.
>>
File: 1407187548961.png (146 KB, 350x401) Image search: [Google]
1407187548961.png
146 KB, 350x401
>>17364061
>Forget assholes talking about "natural" sleeping habits

Yeah, forget those "assholes", OP, totally ignore everything doctors or biologists would tell you about what's healthy and what isn't, just listen to this enlightened Guru on a some random-ass image board!
>>
>>17362539
I did it for... 5 years.
Most horrible I have ever felt.
Wanted to die a lot etc.
Started to sleep normally.
Never felt better.
Do. Not. Do. It.
>>
>>17365317

[citation needed]
>>
>>17362539
I'm a security guard, sometimes I do night shifts. I like to see the stars while walking by night. Buy I have no family, it works for me.
Two of the sec guards work only at night. One is not exactly what you can call normal. The other one is working at night for the last twenty years, and he says one never gets used to it. He's always kinda sleepy. And sometimes he talks with the dead in his dreams. And other /x/ stuff.
And then there is the most fucked up of all them, myself. Some odd people might be able to cope with this, but I would not recommend this for anyone.
>>
>>17366893
Uh, try all the people in this thread posting about how this is a terrible idea.

The sun is up, so I'm going to bed soon. This is my life now, and it isn't all that pleasant.
>>
>>17367078

>following instinct is BAD
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.