[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is dis?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (8 KB, 151x158) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8 KB, 151x158
What is dis?
>>
turkish eye thing

I loved those when I was a kid
>>
I have one hanging from my car keys, my mother said that it's a greek thing to keep me safe or something
>>
>>17361741
a yo yo
>>
>>17361741
In Mexico and other spanish countries it's a charm called a Nazar to ward off "Mal de ojo" (Evil eye) and it's said to protect you from a curse given by someone glancing with an envious eye but it varies from culture to culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye#Spain_and_Latin_America

You can read up on it there tho
>>
File: Balloon_scarecrow4.jpg (103 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Balloon_scarecrow4.jpg
103 KB, 350x350
>>17361782

Funny you post Yatsubato. The first thing I thought of (after a roller blade wheel) was the scarecrow balloon that Yatsuba was inexplicably afraid of.
>>
>>17361796
I actually have one of those in my room right now because of Yotsubato, it's hanging by a string behind me.
>>
File: IMG_8121.jpg (2 MB, 2592x3888) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8121.jpg
2 MB, 2592x3888
>>17361799
Saw it tossed in a bargain pile in Walmart and decided it was worth
>>
>>17361741
that is the famous one and unique "ojito" a lucky charms that protects people from envy and is very common in latino countries
>>
In Greece there is a curse of envy people put unknowingly on eachother
It can cause headaches, dizziness and is known to kill small animals
This charm is usually found in Greece on bird's cages
As for humans there is a little white spell that has to be done by someone of the opposite gender who's teacher of the spell has deceased.
>>
>>17361741

evil eye

i see those in Turkey and greece it's like a good luck charm or something
>>
File: 6590189._UY124_.jpg (3 KB, 87x124) Image search: [Google]
6590189._UY124_.jpg
3 KB, 87x124
>>17361796
>inexplicably
>item designed to engender fear
>inexplicably
>>
>>17361741
Allah's eye
>>
File: Nimrud_headdress.jpg (42 KB, 600x389) Image search: [Google]
Nimrud_headdress.jpg
42 KB, 600x389
>>17361741
ancient shit. pretty much every ancient culture throughout history recognized the evil eye and many used eye-like charms to ward it off. envy is a common and powerful source but it can be associated with any number of human malignancies.
>>
It's evil and causes bad luck seriously
>>
>>17363189
The thing that millions of people are using as an apotropaic amulet, in a tradition that's lasted thousands of years, is bad luck and evil. And we're supposed to just take your word for it, no explanations.

Don't be contrary for the sake of being contrary.
>>
File: oko.gif (28 KB, 243x281) Image search: [Google]
oko.gif
28 KB, 243x281
>>17361741
Hand of Fatima, there's similar symbol in Jainism

Mainly a Muslim world thing

The belief in "Evil Eye" was a strong thing in mediaeval, which eventually inspired creation of Beholder monster in D&D
In M&M universe one version of it was even called "Evil Eye".

I had an article on it on Celestial Heavens, but can't find currently :(

There was also version of the monster as a bat thing
>>
>>17361814
in hindsight it really wasn't was it?
>>
>>17361741
some ancient egyptic amulet that protects the carrier from evil forces
>i like to call it bullshit
>>
File: RAF-roundal.jpg (10 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
RAF-roundal.jpg
10 KB, 300x278
ww2
>>
File: $_575.jpg (141 KB, 1246x1600) Image search: [Google]
$_575.jpg
141 KB, 1246x1600
i sometimes wear tibetan dzi beads like pic related. not only do they absorb evil eye and black magic but they reutilize this energy to the benefit of the wearer.
>>17363380
cool I never noticed that, that's definitely an eye charm
>>
Kebabfag here,
In Turkey it's used as a charm against "Nazar".

It is believed that when someone is envious of you/one of your qualities/one of your possessions, that person can willingly/unwillingly cast a bad luck with eye contact, which harms the thing that the person envies.

For example someone likes your new car a lot and at the moment that he looks at the car and envies it, your car gets crushed in an accident.

The charm is supposed to attract attention in order to prevent eye contact. Actually the whole Nazar thing sounds a lot like magick when you think about it. I doubt it still works. The world got messier and these things attract little attention compared to everything else around them.
>>
>>17363339
Actually I kept it in my house and someone told my family it was causing bad luck
>>
>>17363358
Eh I'd say it was still worth. gotta keep them spooks distracted somehow
>>
File: identity-5287e5158b0d2.jpg (154 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
identity-5287e5158b0d2.jpg
154 KB, 1000x1000
eyes have many meanings

but the eye itself has the connotation symbolically with wisdom or rather the wisdom of mankind, which can be also called "self awareness" which most animals lack
>>
File: beautiful.png (308 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
beautiful.png
308 KB, 512x512
>>17363950
10/10
>>
These thins are old. I mean ancient egypt old.

http://www.cmog.org/artwork/eye-pendant
>>
>>17363950
do you practice magick, kebab?
>>
>>17361741
Is Turkish and protects you from evil. If it splits, breaks or anything like that than it worked, you should replace it. If you get stabbed in the back and this piece of shit is not broken, than it didn't worked.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.