[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top 5 Horror Films
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
File: download (1).jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Post your 5 favorite horror movies. But remember Anon, horror is opinionated, so don't be a huge fucking faggot.
>>
>>17343442

Phantasm
IT
the Gate
Doppelgangers
the Shining
>>
>>17343476
>IT
Good choice, Anon.

The Evil Dead (remake)
The Conjuring
IT
The Babadook (I got nightmares from that shit.)
Deliver Us from Evil
>>
>>17343442
Creepshow
Dead Alive
The Thing (Carpenter version)
Alien
Evil Dead (Original)
>>
Der Fan
Sleepaway Camp
The Shining
A Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
Repo! The Genetic Opera
>>
1. The Exorcist
2. Altered States
3. The Thing
4. The Shining
5. The Cabin in the Woods

pretty obvious that any horror movie with "the" in the title has a 50% chance of being good
>>
Audition
The Thing
The Exorcist
A Tale of Two Sisters
[rec]
>>
>>17343442
The Descent
The Thing
The Exorcist
The Ring
The Grudge
Death Bell (korean horror)
>>
>>17343442
>Noroi
>The Thing (original)
>Jacobs Ladder
>Let The Right One In
>Evil Dead (original)
>>
The Thing
Se7en
Black Christmas
28 Days Later
It Follows
>>
28 Days Later
Halloween (Original)
Rosemary's Baby
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
>>
The Ring
Phantasm
What Lies Beneath
Blair Witch Project
Cabin in the Woods
>>
>>17343980
I'd also say Plat Misty for Me as a runner up. Has the best ending in cinema history.
>>
>>17343442
1. Psycho (1960)
2. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
3. The Exorcist (1973)
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Alien (1979)

I really can't think of a horror film made after Alien that can technically qualify as stellar horror like the five movies I listed above other than The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
>>
>>17344971
I'd personally replace your Halloween with The Shining and Alien with The Thing,
>>
File: nazi in lake mungo.png (463 KB, 1164x554) Image search: [Google]
nazi in lake mungo.png
463 KB, 1164x554
I'm gonna take a lot of liberty with the definition of horror and say

>(The) Cure
>Hour of the Wolf
>Lake Mungo
>Black Swan
>Kairo (Pulse)
>>
File: mfw.jpg (504 KB, 1720x1236) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
504 KB, 1720x1236
>Noroi
>The Thing (80's one)
>Night of the Living Dead (original)
>One Missed Call (original)
>Dog Soldiers
>>
>>17343476
>IT
>>17343886
>A Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
>>17343926
>A Tale of Two Sisters
>>17343933
>The Ring
>The Grudge
>>17343935
>Jacobs Ladder

These.

>>17343980
>Dawn of the Dead (2004)
>not Dawn of the Dead (1978)

The original was far better.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
My life
Deep web suicde videos
Snuff films
My cooking
My tiny cocK
>>
The Ring
Blair Witch Project
The Shining
The Sixth Sense
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
>>
>>17345987
>My life
too boring
>My tiny cocK
too short
>>
>>17343442
Storm of the Century
The Mist
The Fourth Kind
Grave Encounters
The Babadook
>>
>>17343980
28 Days Later is by far my favorite zombie movie.
>>
>>17343935
fuck just watched noroi. really good stuff i always thought this kind of found fotage/documentary couldn't scare me at all.
>>
>>17345806
I liked the rendition a little better. It felt more like what would happen. If it really happened. I'm sure if I was non earlier I could relate more with the older one.
>>
>>17346309
One of my favorite movies in general
>>
Top 5 best horror remakes
1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
2. The Thing (1982)
3. The Fly (1986)
4. (inb4 it's not a remake. It is. Raimi only called it part 2 for legal reasons) Evil Dead 2 (1987)
5. The Blob (1988)
>>
>>17346108
>Storm of the Century
>Grave Encounters
>The Babadook
Nice taste in horror, Anon!
>>
1 The evil dead
2 The shinning
3 Martyrs
4 The Balir Witch Project
5 Ju On (Original, but the American remake The Grudge isnt bad, if only because same director and same actress playing the dead woman)
>>
File: 1450790752600.gif (383 KB, 496x268) Image search: [Google]
1450790752600.gif
383 KB, 496x268
1.The Thing
2.Halloween
3.Childs play
4.Blair witch
5.The shining
>>
The grifter
>>
The Mist
Event Horizon
Feast
Day of the dead
Scream
>>
>>17347991
The only part in Ju-On that legitimately scared me was the part with the distorted television, the rest seemed too cheesy
>>
>>17347991
Martyrs nigga
>>
>>17347329
Thanks friends!
I'm a huge purist for SK adaptions, and I was really excited to find the Storm of the Century screenplay...
Gotta say though, I see The Shining on a lot of people's list and I have to wonder whether they read the book.
>>
File: 1443154971664.gif (2 MB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1443154971664.gif
2 MB, 500x377
The Thing (1982)
Alien
Videodrome
Cube
Dellamorte Dellamore
>>
>>17343442
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Alien
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Ju-On
Session 9
>>
File: 1454490660780.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1454490660780.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
Not trying to sound like a douche, but since I've grown up (21 now) the last time I was scared by a horror movie was The Grudge (original jap version, American sucks ass) when I was 11.

Just wondering if you guys can recommend something that would really make me fear the dark for a couple of days/weeks. IRL my main fears are ghosts or demons in terms of the paranormal. Little girls also creep me the fuck out.
Or even a good thriller would do too.

Thanks for reading if you did, and for recommending if you do.
>>
the thing (1982)
ju on (jap version)
nightmare on elm street (the only slasher type movie I like)
REC (only shaky-cam movie I like)
Tea Time (short internet horror movie, do those count?)
>>
>>17348422
>Session 9
I thought it was really boring and uneventful, but you obviously have the right to your own opinion.
>>
>>17348454
There's a movie called Shadow People. It makes you think...
>>
>>17348495
Thanks, buddy ol' pal, I'll check it out.
>>
>>17348454
you might want to try the Tales Of Terror From Tokyo series
>>
The exorcist (1-3)
Drag me to hell
Prometheus
Dark Skies
The Craft
Pet Cemetary
People under the stairs
The frighteners
Constantine
Zombieland

Good movies in my opinion
>>
1. VHS (1)
2. Badabook
3. The conjuring
4. Cloverfield
5.the mist
>>
The Nightmare
(which is on Netflix I believe)
can be pretty scary if you suffer from sleep paralysis or if you ever wondered what it would look like.

Under The Skin
Is very abstract, artsy, but has some crazy as shit scenes that fucked me up. If you're not a film buff with patience and understanding, this movie isn't for you.

Beyond The Black Rainbow
Even more abstract and artsy than Under The Skin. This movie can be best described as 'Sci-Fi Retro-Future Horror Mindfuck'. Lots of crazy imagery and some fucked up scenes. Some scenes can get kind of stretched out and boring though so it's definitely an endurance test until the crazy scenes start rolling in.

The Human Mutilation Cover Up
Crazy documentary with a lot of seemingly authentic evidence to back it all up. This one is available on YouTube if you feel like watching it before going to bed. Definitely gave me the creeps for awhile.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Pretty old 'found footage' mockumentary about a guy's tapes showing his descent into madness and how he becomes a serial killer. Has some pretty bad acting at times, but I remember watching this with my bestie as 16 year olds and it gives me nostalgia every time.

Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County
One of the first, more obscure, found footage films. It's basically like Blair Witch Project, but about aliens, obviously and it's older than BWP too. Very well done for its time and I enjoy watching it every time.
>>
I always wondered why people list Jacobs Ladder as a horror movie. I've always thought of it as a thriller.
>>
>>17348725
The argument here is does thriller = horror? Some people would say it's true, while others (like myself) would say otherwise. I mean, if a thriller qualifies as horror, Misery would be in my top 3.
>>
File: tumblr_ndv25ubabW1rp0vkjo1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x206) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndv25ubabW1rp0vkjo1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x206
>>17348624
>Drag Me to Hell
You Anons have not failed to impress.
>>
no particular order
may
family portraits: a trilogy of america
the shining
martyrs
dead mans shoes
>>
1.) It Follows ( also GOD TIER soundtrack)
2.) The Conjuring
3.) The Shining
4.) The Descent
5.) The Green Inferno
>>
>>17349812

>It Follows

this movie blows, was so disappointed because i heard so much about it I torrented it, kept watching the movie thinking "Ok maybe it gets good now"

never did
>>
>>17343442
Okay, so breaking a couple of rules, here. First off, these aren't my top movies. They're my, "top movies that aren't my top movies." Secondly, I'm listing ten instead of just five. Soooo, you know, just pretend I'm two eccentric people!

========== (1/2)
My Top Ten Horror Films Not Usually On Top Lists. Not necessarily the best horror films, but all have some merit in my opinion and deserve attention.

1. Infection (2004, Japanese): Great psychological horror, although carrying a possible supernatural element, the film keeps you wondering how much of what appears to be taking place is external or internal. Great philosophy and terrifyingly oppressive atmosphere.

2. Dead Ringers (1988): David Cronenberg psychological thriller about mentally unstable, drug abusing, twin gynecologists spiraling downward. One of those movies you never really feel the need to give a second viewing.

3. Dead Birds (2004): This film gets far too little mention. Though a low budget supernatural horror film, as many critics have pointed out it takes everything we love about horror and does it right. Good old west with awful demons film.

4. Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things (1973): Silly and yet weirdly terrifying (to me) as it progresses. Old take on zombies before they became so beloved.

5. Company of Wolves (1984, UK): If only more horror films were about exploring horror itself. There are very few films anything like this in the genre, which makes it that much more worth watching.
>>
>>17350122
========== (2/2)
My Top Ten Horror Films Not Usually On Top Lists. Not necessarily the best horror films, but all have some merit in my opinion and deserve attention.

6. Hellraiser : Deader (2005): A Hellraiser movie that is, weirdly, weakened by being associated with the franchise. Very little of the film has to do with Hellraiser, but is genuinely terrifying and unique.

7. Lair of the White Worm (1988, UK): Loved for the same reason I love BBC productions, just good, wholesome story telling. For a horror movie.

8. Near Dark (1987): Rather like zombies these days, it’s nice to go back to a time when vampires were simply absolutely a bad thing. A bunch of redneck asshole vampires lends uniqueness as well.

9. Ravenous (1999): Great atmosphere, good exploration of the supernatural aspects of the cannibal theme, bizarre ass soundtrack that mysteriously manages to work.

10. The Stone Tape (1972, BBC): This weird little BBC production is a rare, great exploration of what might happen when the supernatural, science and industry in a way that’s almost mundane, while being surprisingly creepy. Legally free on Youtube!
>>
>>17350097
We sure went a while without any faggots in this thread.
>>
>>17350125
to be honest, and to add to the faggotry I guess, I didn't really like it either. The idea was good but they never went anywhere with it. When you're using a hook like that, you need to really flush out all the possibilities and ideas to some degree to make a good story out of it. Beyond its introduction they never really explore what it is or why it acts like it does or anything. Like, even at the end, it's never understood why what happens happens. It just "does." That's not good writing and it made it a lack luster movie.

To add to the faggotry even more, my roommate and I tried watching The Babadook the other night? I can't speak to how good a horror movie it is because we couldn't get through fifteen minutes of that fucking kid screaming MOOOM and crying every three seconds. How could you fuckers make it THROUGH that? It was horrible, HORRIBLE!
>>
Return of the Living Dead
Io Zombo, Tu Zombi, Lei Zomba
Papaya dei Caraibi
Cannibal Holocaust
Evil Dead
>>
Top 5 horror sequels (actual continuations, not in name only)
1. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
2. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
3. Friday the 13th Part 3-D (1982)
4. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 (1986)
5. A Return to Salem's Lot (1987)
>>
>>17343442
Why have you made this thread on /tv/ and /x/? Is this Jackie 4chan gathering info for shekels because it sure seems like it.
>>
>>17350237
Not my thread, Anon.
>>
>>17350348
That seems...counter-intuitive...
>>
>>17350171
How could we make it through that? Because it was just building on the kid's character. It makes you hate him with a passion and, possibly, start to imagine he created the book. I thought The Babadook was amazing, but (as stated in the initial post) horror is opinionated. Hell, I was a bit scared when I went to rewatch a Teletubbies episode for nostalgia.
>>
>>17350358
I should have been more clear. I'm OP, but I didn't post the one on /tv/. If you don't believe me, post the /tv/ thread number and this thread number.
>>
>>17350370
yeah, see, I don't usually want to watch films about people I only hate. His mom was no gem either. So you're just watching two people you'd glare at if you had to see them in a grocery store or something. Now, I get that it's set up but damned, too much.

Part of this is just my own personal tastes, but part of it is again, what I think of as good story telling. Like, I started watching another horror movie that same night, Housebound. At the outset, it's about a criminal, hateful daughter being forced under house arrest with her mom. And they establish that she has a really, really antagonistic attitude towards her mother. Then they establish it again. Then again. Then I said, "if they waste another five minutes repeating this point they've already driven home, I'm stopping this shit," because enough's enough. You have 90 or so odd minutes to tell a story, don't waste your fucking time repeating the same shit you've already made clear.

Fortunately, it's like Housebound heard me, and moved on. Babadook didn't. It just kept reiterating the same shit we already understood, wasting our time. And worse, wasting it listening to a child scream, one of the single most obnoxious sounds on Earth.

I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's sure as hell how to keep me from watching a movie! (Roommate and friends agreed! In fact, I wasn't the first one to declare that we should move on.)
>>
>>17350123
>>17350122
>your top 5 horror movies
>dumps his top 10 trash movies
Bravo, reddit.
Now leave forever.
>>
>>17350381
Oh, hahahahahaha, okay, that makes more sense. sorry!
>>
>>17350392
Real men don't play by the rules! Sorry I ruined your night exploring some ideas, though!
>>
>>17350390
A bit rare to find fairly... non-faggot-y people on 4chan (for lack of a better term). Anyway, if I could recommend an honorable mention (samefagging from >>17343603), I'd probably have to suggest Dead Silence. It's pretty spoopy. It revolves around one of my favorite plot devices in horror - a nursery rhyme. That's one of the reasons I adore The Babadook, that creepy ass storybook. (That and the face of its "funny disguise" that gave me those nightmares.) Legends, rhymes, storybooks, I love when they're implemented because it gives the viewer something to look forward to and (in most cases) enjoy the spectacular work that was done on it.
>>
>>17345371
i just watched lake mungo and was a bit disappointed to be honest... it has scary parts but the story was kinda boring and i didn't really care for the people there... the acting was abit of sometimes espcially her boyfriend but to be fair i'm not the biggest fan of this type of movie so it might just be me.
>>
File: stirofechoes.jpg (125 KB, 1920x893) Image search: [Google]
stirofechoes.jpg
125 KB, 1920x893
>>17350501
Wow, I guess no one here is older than 25. You all need to check out Stir of Echoes, it has pagan shit, kid seeing dead people shit, spoopy skellingtons, etc... Pic related.
>>
carnival of souls
pitch black
wolf creek
angel heart
planet terror
>>
>>17343866
You and me, we think alike...

Me:
Jacobs Ladder
Dead Alive
The Thing
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Evil Dead

All originals, I haven't seen the remakes, but the Freddy from the remake looks awful
>>
>>17343442
TOP 5 MOVIE MADNESS
LETS GOOOOOOOOO

Its like im on youtube.
>>
Top 5 horror movies with psycho dolls in them
1. Dead of Night (1945)
2. Trilogy of Terror (1975)
3. Poltergeist (1982)
4. Dolls (1987)
5. Child's Play (1988)
>>
1The Shining
2Poltergeist
3Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4Jacob's Ladder
5In the Mouth of Madness
>>
Fuck I forgot about Evil Dead!!! ED 5, ITMOM 6
>>
Christine
Jeepers Creepers
The Changeling
Sennentuntschi
Outpost
>>
>>17353895
Original or remake?
>>
Top 5 horror movies based on Stephen King novels (not short stories)
1. Carrie (1976)
2. The Shining (1980)
3. The Dead Zone (1983)
4. Christine (1983)
5. IT (1990)
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.