[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we get an all-things-lovecraft thread going /x/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6
File: Moon_Presence_Beckon.jpg (25 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
Moon_Presence_Beckon.jpg
25 KB, 560x315
can we get an all-things-lovecraft thread going /x/?
>>
>>17339482

You start
>>
Just watched Spring the other day. It's a wonderful lovecraftian movie.
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 750x1125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 750x1125
>>17339482
>>
>>17339482
Here you go, OP, knock yourself out:
http://www.hplovecraft.com/
>>
Check out The King In Yellow by Robert Chambers. Lovecraft worshipped him, and he even incorporated elements from King In Yellow into his stories.
>>
>>17339747

Roughly 99% of the people who jerk off to lovecraft don't actually read Lovecraft
>>
>>17340079
I listen to the books on tape over and over again because fuck dude... lovecraft cliff notes would be where it is at.
>>
>>17340088

What the fuck is wrong with you, most of his stuff is like 5-20 pages long.
>>
>>17340090
every book on tape I have listened to has been hours long

watch your fucking mouth douche, there are children around
>>
>>17340103

Either you're legitimately retarded or trying to troll. Either way a good example of fake Lovecraft "fans"
>>
>>17340108
I cant believe I am going to do this;
here is proof: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lovecraft+audiobook

your a faggot and your blood line is weak
BTFO
>>
>>17340112

You do realize even at 4 hours, At the mountains of madness is incredibly short right? It's not even a full length novel

Have you ever read an actual book in your entire life?
>>
>>17340123
He proved you wrong already, stop being an insufferable weirdo and shut the fuck up, stop bitching over some dudes form of entertainment you sperg
>>
>>17340129
>proved you wrong

About what?
>>
>>17340134
oh my god, just stfu

moving on... Has anyone played The Secret World? I hear there are some big lovecraftian spooks in it.
>>
>>17339482
Anyway, besides that vaginally disgruntled sperg I had to waste time telling to shut up, a great story by Joe Hill called Locke & Key is lovecraft inspired and directly referenced in some points, it's good if you like graphic novels with a Stephen King - esque storyline
>>
>>17340138
>oh my god, just stfu

Want to know how I know you're underage and probably female?

By the way, saying you listen to someone reading something doesn't prove the statement "you don't read" wrong, in fact it proves it right.
>>
>>17340143
amazon:
paperback: 18 bucks
comic form: 150 bucks

wow, people really like their comic books
>>
>>17339784
Awesome linkages. So True Detective season 1 is pretty much Lovecraftian cowboy detectives. Splains why I liked it so much.
>>
>>17340149
jesus christ you cant take a hint.
If you want to argue with other idiots like yourself go to /b/ or r9k. we are talking about lovecraft here.
>>
>>17340155
>>17340160
Someone's gonna come eventually and say the movie Borderlands is lovecraftian and tell you to watch it, but desu it's an okay found footage flick and really not that cthuluesque, just paranormal activityesque
>>
>>17340163
>we are talking about lovecraft here.

But you're not

Do you want to talk about Lovecraft? Which is your favorite of his unpublished works? Have you read his letters? Which part is your favorite from To Quebec and the Stars?
>>
>>17340171
Would you consider cabin in the woods lovecraftian?

>slumber creature
>rumbling in the deep
>giant creature at end

I like to think it is, but I can see how its different enough to also not fit the bill.
>>
>>17340180
It's not Lovecraftian at all because it explains exactly what's going on from the start.
>>
>>17340177
Name his unpublished works and ill tell you if I have listened to any of them. Same thing with his letters. I dont think I have read To Quebec and the Stars.
>>
>>17340182
But the Necronomicon movie explains whats going on from the start if I remember correctly
>>
>>17340183
>listened to

Not interested in your opinion anyway
>>
>>17340177
Lovecraft fan here. I've read the Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales cover to cover multiple times each.

You're being a fucking autistic dweeb, and you should stop. You don't need to have read everything he ever put down on paper to be a fan of his work.
>>
>>17340188
I generally listen to them at work so I can do two things at once for stimulation because I am pretty high functioning, but I agree. It is best if you don't take part in this conversation.
>>
>>17340197
>I am pretty high functioning

As in autistic? That explains a lot
>>
>>17340198
Sounds good. Thank you for your contributions to the conversation. bye.
>>
>>17340185
>movie
There was your first problem. Seriously though, how can you know the monster and still call it Lovecraftian. The whole point of the mythos is that it's beyond comprehension. Unfortunately that's why it's also so niche, but it being niche doesn't justify changing the basis to fit a different narrative.
>>
>>17340138
>Has anyone played The Secret World?
Not the guy you're arguing with, but please. Keep your pleb hands and opinions away from that masterpiece.
>>
File: 0017-215.png.jpg (384 KB, 1021x1600) Image search: [Google]
0017-215.png.jpg
384 KB, 1021x1600
>>17340216
Seriously? Just gunna revert to shitposting huh? Alrighty then.
>>
>>17340206
Sry wrong board. Wrong thread. Wrong anon.
>>
>>17340212

Would you recommend The Park?
>>
>>17340223
Hahahahahahaha this nigga. We're good.

>>17340224
You mean that game Funcom put out?
>>
>>17340206
He talks about cthulu cult and cthulu itself (for example, I know cthulu is not the end all be all of lovecraft) and gives a decent outline of its disposition though in call of cthulu... no?
>>
>>17340212
keep my hands away from that masterpiece... its that good? I read they switched from a monthly sub to just buy the game. Is it some kinda like sleeper game?
>>
>>17340227
God no. He TRIES to explain how he looks but all his brain can do is stick preexisting animal parts together to make sense of it. All they say about the cult is that they had people strung up from trees for the "demons" or whatevs to feed on. There is absolutly no mention of Cthulu's disposition or even his reason for existing.
>>
>>17340225
>You mean that game Funcom put out?

It takes place in TSW universe, the titular park is Atlantic Island Park. I was just wondering if it's worth playing if you're already a TSW fan
>>
>>17340231
It's that good, and yeah they went from subs to straight Buy2Play. But honestly, if you need the cliff notes for short stories, I don't think it'll be a good fit for you.
>>
>>17340233
I thought it mentioned him slumbering beneath the sea as well, but I have been kinda working my way through so much horror stuff lately it could just be im getting wires crossed
>>
>>17340236
Ah fuck yeah. I thought it looked familiar, at first I took it for another Issue. Nah, I haven't played it and don't really plan to. I'm not all that in to horror games like that.
>>
>>17340241
Well yeah it does, but does that really tell you anything about his dispostion or features or anything really? The most it can tell you is that he was likely imprisoned by someone or something, but even that isn't stated, just my inference.
>>
>>17340238
you could be right. idk. I might pick it up when the quarter is over.

just to clarify I don't need cliff notes for short stories. Lovecraft goes to great pains to set up atmosphere and I am more (relative) facts oriented. So, for me, a flow chart of spooky shit is preferable to a poetic undertaking.

I am assuming your not that same dumbass I have been arguing with because you seem much more well spoken.
>>
>>17340245

Well it's on sale and I have some money in my steam wallet anyway. Maybe I'll just take the plunge.

I like horror games when they're not survival/jump scare style ones that are so popular these days.

I recently played an indie game called The Charnel House Trilogy which I liked a lot. I'd definitely call it lovecraftian. The pixel graphics might turn some people off but I found them charming.

It's like $2.50 on steam right now and fairly linear and short but worth it.
>>
>>17340265

Also, if anyone does decide to play it. Definitely go into it blind as possible. The ride is worth it
>>
>>17340253
I saw somewhere a breakdown of the lore and it stated that cthulu is like a Lt. and there is an even bigger badder biggie that (I think it said) sent him here but it backfired. I might be able to dig up sauce on that.
>>
>>17340275

There's hundreds of authors that added to the mythos after Lovecraft. Everything in his actual works is incredibly vague.
>>
>>17340276
right on.

I didn't find any sauce on what I said but I found this which is pretty cool

"Lovecraft claims R'lyeh is located at 47°9′S 126°43′W. [H.P Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu" (1928)]
Writer August Derleth, a contemporary correspondent of Lovecraft and co-creator of the Cthulhu Mythos, placed R'lyeh at 49°51′S 128°34′W. [Derleth, A. The Black Island (1952)]
The latter coordinates place the city approximately 5,100 nautical miles (9,400 km) from the actual island of Pohnpei (Ponape), the location of the fictional "Ponape Scripture". Both locations are close to the Pacific pole of inaccessibility (48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W), a point in the ocean farthest from any land mass."
>>
>>17340258
>a flow chart of spooky shit is preferable to a poetic undertaking
But that's against the grain for the entire genre. The whole idea is that we are as insignificant, possibly even more so, than ants in the eyes of these horrors. Could an ant examine a human for all we are? And nah, I'm not that autist. He was a dick, but I'm kinda with him on some points. People think all Lovecraftian shit is is Cthulu waggling his tentacles and shoggoths floating doing nothing but waiting for the hero to swoop in and save the day. There's a reason Lovecraft died without many riches, his stories were bleak and the hero never wins. At most he lucks out.

>>17340265
Right on man. It looked dope, and the basis for the park itself (if you've played TSW you'll know, if not I can spoil it) leads to a pretty neat concept for a horror game.

>>17340275
What the guy below you said. I've only read the Lovecraft stuff from the Cthulu mythos because as far as I'm concerned 90% of the other writers fiction is fan-fiction tier.
>>
>>17340190
>I've read the Necronomicon
No, you didn't
>>
>>17340290
>here's a reason Lovecraft died without many riches
well also, consider the times. I don't think the world was at optimum susceptibility to the horror genre as a whole at the time. Especially not one that could be interpreted as at-odds with the christian bible.
>>
>>17340180
Its too obvious and tongue in cheek to be considered lovecraftian.
>>
>>17340304
Eeeeeh I dunno. I think that's a stretch. Most of Lovecrafts shit was published in something referred to as the pulps. Kind of an earlier 1900s shonen jump but for short stories instead of comics. When you're scaring the piss out of kids for a living, religious ideology doesn't come into play that much.Sure, that might have been a bit of it, but it's mostly because of his stories being bleak in my mind. It's the same reason Thanos never completly obliterates the avengers for good, or why the secret wars was survived and will eventually be won by the good guys. Because if everyone people loved died and shit just ended with no retribution, people would be downright furious.
>>
>>17340290

I'm that dick, I just get easily annoyed by the people who say they love Lovecraft but they're actually talking about things that are inspired by the people who were inspired by Lovecraft. It's cringey Hot Topic-core fan status to me.

If you're just into later mythos stuff that's great, more power to you. But I'm really just sick and tired of people saying Lovecraftian wrong.

Like look at The Thing

The Thing is all about the unknown, uneasiness, paranoia, isolation. They're stuck in a remote location, unimaginable horrors are happening, nobody gets a happy ending. It's very Lovecraftian (the entire apocalypse trilogy is really)

But there are a lot of fans who are like DUDE REMEMBER THE SPIDER HEAD THAT WAS SICK LOL #LOVECRAFT #BLOODBORNE #2SPOOPY

Silent Hill has similar issues, there are a lot of "fans" who just jerk off to pyramid head and don't care about the mystery, the story and the ambiguity of the characters.
>>
>>17340171
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2781832/ is this the movie you are talking about? it looks like it has been re-titled.
>>
>>17340297
He's reffering to a compilation of Lovecraft's stories, not the literal Necronomicon written by the mad Arab.
>>
>>17340321
Woah woah woah, lets get one thing straight here bud, don't be talkin smack about my Bloodbourne. It's as close as we can get and there are many ways to explain why no ending is a good ending. I feel you on the rest of it though. It's kind of annoying considering the only horror that can deeply scare me is this abstract type and then people just come and shit all over it with their "interpretations". Fuckin fan fiction grind my gears the most man.
>>
>>17340341

I don't consider Bloodborne similar to Lovecraft at all.
>>
>>17340321
>stop liking things I like but not in the way I like them
>>
>>17340346
Lovecraftian? Hell no. Cosmic horror based on the frailty of human minds and beings beyond comprehension? Sounds about right. That's why I said it's as close as we can get.
>>
>>17340319
>pulps
were these predominantly horror stories or what?
>>
>>17340351

My issue is just people calling it Lovecraftian, it's obviously cosmic horror. It's like I was saying earlier about people influenced by the people who were influenced by Lovecraft, maybe even more distant than that. Even going back to the originals it's closer to like Clark Ashton Smith

>>17340355

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_magazine

They were just cheap magazines basically. They catered to many genres
>>
>>17340355
No clue, I just heard they were called that as a passing phrase in a conversation. If you want to hear a decent spiel about Lovecraft look up the Podcast 'Bonfire Side Chat". It's mostly a Dark Souls and all it's se/prequel walkthrough but they do special episode every now and then and a couple of months ago they spent a few hours discussing Lovecraft and a few of his works. Just be careful if you're the non-SJW type dude as they like to talk about SJW shit from time to time. It's p. fuckin lame but the rest of the show is pretty solid. Good walkthrough too.
>>
>>17340365
I getcha man. Bloodborne was just my GOTY 2015 [spoiler] and was actually got me to start reading all of Lovecrafts works. I thoroughly enjoy the depravity and pure despair that Lovecraft works through more than Bloodbornes shock and "fight or flight" type fear. [/spoiler]
>>
>>17340368

If we're going to get into podcasts then The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast is where you want to go. hppodcraft.com

They go through Lovecraft's work chronologically, reading parts of it and stopping to discuss the story at hand. ST Joshi is a regular guest on them.

It's not a replacement for reading the stories yourself however because they only have a few full readings.

I'd suggest reading the story first, then listening to the episode on it.
>>
>>17340380
Right on, I've been needing a new podcast anyway so I might check that out.
>>
>>17340374
>and was actually got me to start reading all of Lovecrafts works

Bloodbourne was released less than a year ago.
>IM A DIE HARD KNOW IT ALL ABOUT LOVECRAFT AND FUCK YOU IF YOU DONT READ THE BOOKS

>>17340380
How much of lovecrafts works have they gotten through?
>>
>>17340390

If you're already read his major works then you can skip to an episode covering one of your favorites to test it out but I think going through his work chronologically is interesting.

>>17340393
>How much of lovecrafts works have they gotten through?

All of it, they've been doing non-lovecraft stuff for a while now. They have some Poe works for example
>>
>>17340393
Woah bro, are you telling me you've been readin since the early 1900s? Fuck off with that shit. Nowhere did I say I'm a hardcore Lovecraft fan. I said I like his style and hate fan-fiction.
>>
>>17340404

It seems like they (books on tape anon?) mixed up anons and thought you were the Anon that insulted them earlier.
>>
File: 1452696655971.jpg (71 KB, 927x380) Image search: [Google]
1452696655971.jpg
71 KB, 927x380
>>17340129
>>17340112
>>17340103

You are some stupid motherfuckers. At The Mountains of Madness is one of his longest stories.

He was a short story writer, most of his shit is only a few pages long.

There's a pdf online with all his stuff. Read a book, or in this case a handfull of pages.
>>
>>17340416
It was probably some dude who just happened to see it on the front page without reading the thread. I do it all the time.
>>
>>17340404
>>17340416

Thats what happened. Hard to keep whos-who straight when everyone is anon.

>>17340429
not going down that road again.
>>
>>17340439
"I don't read, and only listen to audiobooks, then wonder why people don't take me serious about literature."

Unless you suffer from dyslexia you have no excuse.
>>
>>17340445
I already broached this topic so forgive me if I don't explain it again... or don't, idrgaf either way.
>>
>>17340445

Well he can't follow reply chains and keep anons straight either so maybe reading is actually really hard for them
>>
>>17340472
>>17340445
>>17340429

You guys gonna bring anything interesting to the table at any point, or just shit the place up?
>>
>>17340491

Seems like we're the only ones actually having a conversation desu
>>
>>17340493
You think with CGI being what it is these days a explicit screen adaptation of lovecrafts works would work?
>>
>>17340498

No, you'd always have to find some workaround or make a derivative work. It's not possible to make a decent scene for scene adaptation.
>>
>>17340498
Eeeeh, I dunno. Being hardly describable what would they look like? And how would it go? It's a tricky thing. Someone mentioned the Apocalypse trilogy is alright if you have to I guess.
>>
>>17340505
Im not sure I understand why. Is it just because people are so accustomed to jump spooks and flash that the subtly is a lost art? Or does it get back to what you were saying about how the hero doesn't win? or what?
>>
>>17340079
DUDE CTHULHU LMAO
>>
>>17340513

No, I'm saying it's literally impossible. I'm not talking about making something that's popular.

The way Lovecraft's stories are written simply don't lend themselves to other mediums. You'd have to do heavy rewrites to adapt them to film. Which would make it derivative.

There's decent adaptations out there, but they're not exactly like the written stories.

A lot of his works are describing how characters are feeling and interpreting things. You can't do that in a movie
>>
>>17340513
Not him but it's more about imagination when it comes to the whole thing. The only thing's described about Cthulu in Call of Cthulu is his general outline in the figure, a line about angles that were "acute but acting as though they were obtuse" or vice versa or something, and one more line about non-Euclidean geometry. The rest is just in your head. How do you portray most of those things on screen?
>>
>>17340521

I'll give an example

"As the good lady shewed me out of the building she made it clear that the pirate theory of the Marsh fortune was a popular one among the intelligent people of the region. Her own attitude toward shadowed Innsmouth—which she had never seen—was one of disgust at a community slipping far down the cultural scale, and she assured me that the rumours of devil-worship were partly justified by a peculiar secret cult which had gained force there and engulfed all the orthodox churches.

It was called, she said, “The Esoteric Order of Dagon”, and was undoubtedly a debased, quasi-pagan thing imported from the East a century before, at a time when the Innsmouth fisheries seemed to be going barren. Its persistence among a simple people was quite natural in view of the sudden and permanent return of abundantly fine fishing, and it soon came to be the greatest influence on the town, replacing Freemasonry altogether and taking up headquarters in the old Masonic Hall on New Church Green."

How would you adapt that to film without rewriting it? The closest a movie has ever come was the silent Call of Cthulhu film and even that took quite a few liberties iirc
>>
>>17340529
>>17340521

The non-euclidean geometry coupled with the explanation of what makes a work a derivatives makes sense. I get it now.
>>
>>17340549
Yeah, that's why it's such a niche thing. Lovecraft is the guy who inspired the guy, who inspired the guy who made something great for the most part.
>>
>>17340537
I am not sure that is the best example as I feel like you could establish most of that through clever dialogue manipulation
>>
>>17340561

That'd make it a rewrite, there's no dialogue to manipulate. There's almost never any dialogue in Lovecraft's writing, you'd have to make it up yourself.

An exact adaptation would be like, silent except for a constant dialogue of the protagonist's thoughts. Which would just be an inferior version of the book
>>
>>17340572
>That'd make it a rewrite
got it. Never taken any theater or film classes so this is all kinda new territory to me.

>Which would just be an inferior version of the book
idk, I could get down on that if it was done well. I am pretty easy going though.
>>
>>17340583

Well you'd just be having someone read the book but show you visuals to go along with it instead of imagining them yourself.

All the best adaptations make something new, there's plenty of instances where the movie is actually better than the book (The Godfather, Drive, Jackie Brown, The Thing, Full Metal Jacket, Stand By Me, Jurassic Park, Jaws) because they weren't just trying to turn the book into a movie, they were making a movie based on the book.

This is true of all the decent Lovecraft adaptations. Re-Animator is a fine movie but it's nothing like the source material really. You can tell it's based on it but it's far from a direct adaptation.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.