[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/x/ what God/Gods do you believe in?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15
File: OlymNav.jpg (54 KB, 478x300) Image search: [Google]
OlymNav.jpg
54 KB, 478x300
/x/ what God/Gods do you believe in?
>>
File: god.png (182 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
god.png
182 KB, 392x500
>>
File: 6098528.png (538 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
6098528.png
538 KB, 640x1136
Pantheism. All things are part of one greater being or force.
>>
>>17337767
Mehrunes Dagon
>>
All of them, but I am a good and devout Christian
>>
>>17337863
this may actually be the key for a universal spirituality - local deities are manifestations of said force, and adapt to the region. It would be hard to set down a coherent scripture or belief system, but that is as much a benefit as it is a detraction. This would combine the community strength of volk religions with the recognation of the common source from which we all spring.
>>
Hail Odin, mother fuckers.
>>
>>17337767
I praise kek every day
>>
>>17337875
>It would be hard to set down a coherent scripture or belief system

I swear. How long have I been trolling this board, and people still say this.

> Bg 4.7 — Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion – at that time I descend Myself.

> Iso Invocation — The Personality of Godhead is perfect and complete, and because He is completely perfect, all emanations from Him, such as this phenomenal world, are perfectly equipped as complete wholes. Whatever is produced of the Complete Whole is also complete in itself. Because He is the Complete Whole, even though so many complete units emanate from Him, He remains the complete balance.
>Iso mantra 1 — Everything animate or inanimate that is within the universe is controlled and owned by the Lord. One should therefore accept only those things necessary for himself, which are set aside as his quota, and one should not accept other things, knowing well to whom they belong.

The theological position is called panentheism.
>>
>>17337886
The Aesir are assholes.
>>
File: 1331960890039.jpg (20 KB, 500x360) Image search: [Google]
1331960890039.jpg
20 KB, 500x360
>>17338434
We are all assholes. Look to the sky assholes to see yourself. as above so below.
>>
File: Hecates_Wheel.png (52 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Hecates_Wheel.png
52 KB, 300x300
Hecate
>>
>>17338411
fuck off namefag

You can't make a single scripture because of regional differences. the bhagavad gita isn't universal.
>>
Sorry to disappoint all of you. For there is only one God for us. Jesus is our God. The day you will realize it, it will be too late for some of you.
>>
File: assholes.jpg (48 KB, 800x163) Image search: [Google]
assholes.jpg
48 KB, 800x163
>>17338466
>>
>>17338598
This.
>>
>>17337767
Super Saiyan God
and
Hera is dressed like superman
>>
>>17338608
>This.
...is spoken from a point of view of ignorance. That anon doesn't know anything about God or Gods, he's just reciting his culturally popular generalization. It has no relationship with truth or reality.
>>
Ogum
>>
File: 1399012216683.jpg (101 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1399012216683.jpg
101 KB, 500x500
>>17337767
I believe there are possibly powerful entities out there which know shit we don't, but I don't worship them as gods.

Unless there is a being which somehow embodies an endless comfy sleeps free from all existence, then I'd worship them. But so far I'm the only god for me.
>>
File: 1452328709096.jpg (142 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
1452328709096.jpg
142 KB, 1024x819
>>17337863
There is a similarity to this, even in the philosophical degtee of daoism, where you have the source. The source by which all things provides to force, which we are made into manifestation. The driving force, and the source from which it dwells.
>>
Y'all need to read the Bhagavad Gita

Doesn't belong to any religion , its just the sheer truth
>>
Hail Sithis
>>
Your mom
>>
>>17338679
So Hinduism isn't a religion now interesting
>>
>>17337767
When you say "gods" it's lower case son. As in not too uncommon, kinda like superheroes. God with a capital G refers to the one and only.
>>
>>17337767
Just the fact that there might be something unimaginably horrible waiting after we die. Human reproduction: a game of chicken?
>>
Anglo-Saxon pagan here.
I pray to Thunor, Woden, and the rest
>>
>>17337767
The one true God.

>>17339100
Got horns on your helmet, edgemaster?
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 284x177
Many are the gods. But look to the sky on hallowed days, and see whose sigil is stamped clearly onto the heavens.

>>17339007

Meaningless distinction.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 331x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 331x427
>>17339129
>>
>>17339166
>Meaningless distinction.
Not really. Mecrucry is a god, but YHWH or whatevs is God. Capital son.
>>
I wish Wodan was real and I really like "blue-eyed Athena"
>>
>>17339193

Yahweh started as a "normal" god. Besides, there is no ontological difference; there's no reason to assume angels and demons are any less "gods" than Yahweh, especially since actholics treat them the same way pagans treated other spirits.
>>
>>17339193
It is safe to dismiss people who get into Sesame Street theology as incapable of meaningful contribution to the topic.
>>
>>17339341
>>17339336
Do you guys really not see the difference between lower case g and upper case g gods? This is honestly pretty astonishing to me, I kinda figured it was common knowledge. You can't even compare Zeus with the Abrahamic God.
>>
>>17339360

Tautology, I see.

Actually, Zeus has been taken as a Yahweh-ish figure in neoplatonic Antiquity, seen as an omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent entity above the other gods.

Yet he wasn't "different" in terms of intrinsic nature.
>>
>>17337767
>>
>>17339496
The simple fact that there is a creation story for Zeus, whereas God has always been disproves that son. Lemme clear the air though, it's not like I'm religious. I don't think God is better than any of the gods really. I just thought this was common knowledge.
>>
>>17339529
Fun fact: the God of Catholic theology is Aristotle's unmoved mover and has nothing to do with the tribal Thunder God of the Jews, namely Yahweh, who was anthropomorphic and did go after Moses' son foreskin like a mad pedophile rabbi
>>
>>17337886
I've recently been thinking about the Norse gods. How does one worship them? How do you get to Valhalla?
>>
>>17339166
Dubs of truth. Inti, Amon Re, Palk, Malina, any deity of the sun I worship really.
>>
>>17339567
Listen son, YHWH is just the name I picked to use. The Abrahamic God, the one God, father of Jesus, the father part of the trilogy. He's who I was speaking of and just assumed YHWH was another name for him, my b, I usually stay away from Jewish lore. Comparing him to Zeus is ridiculous. Zeus was an ultra powerful god, but the ancients used him as a scapegoat for the natural worlds. Compared to the one God from the old test., new test., and the quran, he's nothing because the God from those three books is ascribed to everything the ancients ascribed to different gods. That's why I keep saying one true God, because to the people who follow him, he is the entire roman/greek/norse pantheon wrapped into one being. The alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. The end all be all of the universe.
>>
Also what's up with all the Christianity /jesus threads popping up on here lately
>>
>>17339529

The greeks didn't have a consistent creation myth. In some rural areas, for example, Zeus is not the son of Kornos but of Aether, and in platonic thought mythology is discarded altogether.

>>17339592

Under that logic, Zeus is yet another representative of this deity.

Many creation myths, from Shinto to Africa to even Hinduism, don't hold the creator/universal god to be unique in comparison to the others.

>>17339575

Amen.
>>
>>17339742
>The greeks didn't have a consistent creation myth. In some rural areas, for example, Zeus is not the son of Kornos but of Aether, and in platonic thought mythology is discarded altogether.
He still has a creation story, even if said story changes based on area.

>Under that logic, Zeus is yet another representative of this deity.
>Many creation myths, from Shinto to Africa to even Hinduism, don't hold the creator/universal god to be unique in comparison to the others.
That's fine, but that's not who I was talking about. I was talking about the religions that descended from Abraham.

I don't understand why you guys can't understand this concept. So you guys honestly believe in pantheons? If not, why are you not open to the upper/lower case thing?
>>
>>17339757
The upper lower case thing is childish. It's an infant's ideology focused on ignoring the symbolic complexities of theological imagery. It's like arguing that Superman is a capital s superhero and Batman and Wonder Women are lower case superheroes. It's pretty much exactly like that, actually.
>>
>>17337767
The monarchy of Lucifer and their legions.
>>
>>17339783
No it's not because supes isn't omnipotent. Even if he was, it's more akin to Captain Manhattan being a capital S superhero, compared to Batman or WW. But again, do you believe in pantheons? If not then you're arguing from a position with no legs. That's simply how things are. Capital G god is on a whole different scale compared with Zeus or Thor or even someone like Horus. These are aspects of nature whereas God is nature.
>>
>>17337886
Recently met Odin on the astral plane, he said Loke misses you, thats all I remember, I am from Norway btw
>>
File: AVE NEX ALEA.jpg (456 KB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
AVE NEX ALEA.jpg
456 KB, 2816x2112
SALUTO CUBUM NECIS

AVE CUBUM NECIS
>>
>>17339814
Omnipotence is an arbitrary declaration and one that does exactly what I describe, it tears away all the symbolic relevance of why a god acts at all.

Most people who believe in a totally singular, omnipotent and omniscient god have no connection with the meaning behind any of its actions.

Let's take the subset of Christians who insist this is true about their god. They have no concept of Christ's relationship to the Roman mystery cults or Dionysus. They don't understand what Dionysus represents, or Prometheus. Look at the argument here about Zeus and capital "s" gods. How do you declare one god capital s or not unless you know what they represent in reality? You can't, which is why people mistakenly declare that just because they read that Zeus was king muckamuck in Olympus he must be the capital S god, like the Titans didn't exist on one side or Prometheus on the other.

They don't comprehend how the sacrifice of Christ relates to the very model of sacrifice as model changing. They don't know anything about the Hermes mythology or how it pertains, or any other corresponding concept of sacrifice and uplift to godhood.

In short, in their eagerness to declare their god "the biggestest and the bestestest," they have abandoned any understanding of gods or theology at all. It becomes about childish ego.

Look at your own comparison. Why was Manhattan a capital S? Because of your limited view on how power works? In the end he was beaten by a human with no special abilities save intellect and foresight, a person able to out think and out maneuver a being that could see into the goddamned future.

And that's the problem with capital S. It's really nothing more than an emotional appeal to popularity, at the expense of wisdom.
>>
File: loke.gif (211 KB, 450x257) Image search: [Google]
loke.gif
211 KB, 450x257
>>17339822
Misses DAT ASS, more like! Hahahahahahahaha, that Loke!
>>
>>17339840
No, Captain Manhattan is capital S because he's literally infallible. For your argument, a better caped-crusader would be Spawn. But no. Zeus got the sky, Poseidon got the sea, and Hades got the underground. They are representations of natural things. Hades was the totally natural fear of death and what happens beyond the veil. Poseidon was they're fear of the sea, because they were so dependent on sea-faring economy and production. Zeus was the fear of the weather and, because of his allotted power, also deals with people who offend the gods. On the other hand, all of these gods attributes are given to one being. The one God. That's why it's capital man, because it takes all the different godlike aspects and rolls them in to one being. It's just like the masonic concept of a grand architect.
>>
>>17337767
Its either none or all. I'm pretty undecided.
>>
>>17338605
Man, early Peanuts strips were really blue
>>
>>17339861
>No, Captain Manhattan is capital S because he's literally infallible.
False. He made mistakes, many of them. So my point is proven, you can't even evaluate him properly. The minute you declared him capital S, you started thinking of him as perfect. But he's not perfect, the book makes it abundantly clear he's not perfect. So you're already off the rails ignoring reality and making up a completely different Doctor Manhattan that only exists in your head. One that you don't have to think about, one that you can ignore the truth about, one that you can avoid having to deal with the complex details or all the hard work of really thinking about.

Just like how you approach gods.
>>
>>17339866
Ha! Nice!
>>
>>17339867
No dude, what you're referring to is purely a human power trip. They can't sell comics where the infallible god wins. It's the same reason you see Lovecraft "purists" bitch that there are no real lovecraft games, because if you sold a game where the evil dude rapes your mind, you go crazy and kill yourself with no resolution, it would sell like shit.
>>
>>17339849
Im not a grill. In my past life I was probably a part of Odins civilization wich I would like to know more about, and i Guess i must have known Loke
>>
File: determinism.jpg (3 MB, 1141x1914) Image search: [Google]
determinism.jpg
3 MB, 1141x1914
>>17338585
Bhakti specifically recognizes the differences in practice due to time, place, and circumstance,

>the bhagavad gita isn't universal
I disagree.

>>17338981
Hinduism is a collection of religions centered around texts. The Gita is not Hinduism.

>>17339814
>Bg 9.4 — By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.
>Bg 9.5 — And yet everything that is created does not rest in Me. Behold My mystic opulence! Although I am the maintainer of all living entities and although I am everywhere, I am not a part of this cosmic manifestation, for My Self is the very source of creation.

God is more than nature.

>>17339867
He didn't make mistakes. Making mistakes would imply he had a choice in his actions.
>>
>>17339880
>God is more than nature.
That's kinda what I'm implying my man, but thanks for the sources.
>>
File: boldstrategy.jpg (76 KB, 625x468) Image search: [Google]
boldstrategy.jpg
76 KB, 625x468
>>17339876
So you're arguing...that there's a real Doctor Manhattan that's out there that's infallible, but that Alan Moore had to dumb him down and pretend he was flawed in the comic...to make sure it sold to audiences....is what you're saying...
>>
>>17339880
He did have a choice in his actions. He says so repeatedly himself. You don't get that in this interpretation, fate and free will aren't mutually exclusive. Knowing what's going to happen doesn't preclude doing it.

Of course, even if that weren't the case (and it is,) you might also recall that at the end of the book he enters a condition in which he is unable to predict the future. That is also a stage where he is making his own choices, where he is surprised, where he makes mistakes.
>>
>>17339894
Sorry, "preclude choosing it." should replace "preclude doing it."
>>
>>17339885
No bro, I'm arguing that the shit has to end with the good guys winning. Did you ever read the Infinity Gauntlet saga from marvel? In it, a dude named Thanos becomes literally impossible to stop. Literally snaps his fingers and half the life in the universe dies on the spot. Literally warping space and time to fit his needs and you know how he lost? He took himself out. They made Thanos so that he would be his own demise every time. You know why? Because if they didn't the marvel universe would have ended and they wouldn't sell any more comics.
If the story doesn't end in rainbow farts and a "Yeah humanity!" epilogue, the masses would shit all over it.
>>
>>17339907
>No bro, I'm arguing that the shit has to end with the good guys winning.
This doesn't even make any sense? Who the fuck were the "good guys" in Watchman? Did they win?

You brought up Doctor Manhattan. And you made the false claim that he was infallible. This was all done in an attempt to justify a ridiculous big G little g theology. Now you're trying to justify your clear error by explaining what you think is needed to sell comics?

Are you that asshole I hate talking to?
>>
>>17339916
Woah woah woah, first off, you brought up the capes not me. And second, who won in the end? You said he was brought down by a mere human, that's the shit that people remember and it's the exact "Yeah humanity!" thing I was refering to. As for his qualifications, seeing all there is and is to be as well as creating shit from a molecular level is pretty capital G like. But you're right that he's not infallible, the human tempering weakened him. I still stand by him winning in reality though, and that he only lost his omnipotence to sell comics. As far as the last part, I dunno? I've never seen your name before, but I usually ignore the shit out of namefags/tripfags. You came on to me here.

My argument was literally that that the Abrahamic God uses a capital G because he is one, whereas the pantheons get lower case g's because they are many. Not sure what your dog is in this race though.
>>
>>17339943
>And second, who won in the end? You said he was brought down by a mere human, that's the shit that people remember and it's the exact "Yeah humanity!" thing I was refering to.
No, I said that he was outmaneuvered, which he was. And it has nothing to do with "Yeah humanity," so now you're attributing bullshit to me that has nothing to do with what I said or my ideas.

Yeah, you are that guy, aren't you? Stupid theology, dishonest, complete inability to maintain a coherent conversation without misrepresenting other people's positions, constant straw manning. I'd sure as fuck hate to think there were two of you, Jesus.
>>
I believe in a being that overrules us but we struggle to make heads or tails of. A deity that we think we know shit about but only slightly know about. Like, a sliver's worth. I don't believe that once we die in this life, that that's it. Human beings are far too peculiar for something so bleak. We may shit and piss like other animal's but unlike other animals our capacity of though/imagination is far too impressive.
>>
File: overruled.jpg (94 KB, 1024x686) Image search: [Google]
overruled.jpg
94 KB, 1024x686
>>17339960
>>
>>17339952
>>17339952
Hahahahaha creating boogeymen is crazy shit dawg, but I've been having a bad day and that gave me a good chuckle so thanks for that. But no. like I said, I stand by it being done to sell comics. You don't "out maneuver" someone with that type of power, they either let you win for whatever reason like Thanos or it's a straight up human empowerment fantasy.

Also the fuck is up with these captchas? I have legacy on but it's still putting out this jumbled mess.
>>
>>17339967
No.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.