[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lovecraftian movies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10
Had one of these threads a while back and am looking for some more to watch. Not necessarily looking for adaptations of Lovecraft stories, but films with Lovecraftian elements.

Saw pic related based on the recommendations in the last thread, and it was kind of meh. I didn't hate it, but calling it "Lovecraftian" was a little bit of a stretch.
>>
Bump I want a cthulu movie
>>
>>17262685

It's called, "The Call of Cthulhu"
>>
AKA The Borderlands

Really liked this.
>>
>>17262695
Is it good or nah?
>>
>>17262715
I'm not that anon, but honestly, I didn't really like it. It felt campy to me. Maybe I'll give it another shot, but the whole silent movie thing didn't work for me. A lot of fans seemed to enjoy it, though, so it's probably worth a viewing.
>>
>>17262723
Alright I'll check it out, thanks!
>>
Probably going to try out The Mist this morning. I hear it's pretty Lovecraftian.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_niy1z1m40N1rp9dwt.jpg (343 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_niy1z1m40N1rp9dwt.jpg
343 KB, 500x700
Highly recommended.
>>
File: tumblr_m00nwrj9rw1qbv9bbo1_1280.jpg (236 KB, 775x1069) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m00nwrj9rw1qbv9bbo1_1280.jpg
236 KB, 775x1069
Pic related was pretty nice, IMO.
>>
This one was vaguely Lovecraftian. Really enjoyed it.
>>
Pic related is possibly one of my all-time favorites. 10/10, spooky as hell. I've watched it 3 times and it's definitely the best thing available for streaming on Netflix right now. Lots of Lovecraftian stuff in here, and the scares and atmosphere are on point.

Watch it at night, alone, with the lights off and bricks will be shat.
>>
File: tasty.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tasty.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>
bumpin'
>>
>>17262630
The Italian film 'Dagon' is pretty neat. It's in English and the effects are slightly cheesy but for the most part it's a faithful and accurate retelling of The Shadow Over Innesmouth.
>>
>le lovecraftian meme
>>
>>17262630
>Had one of these threads a while back
You mean last week?
>>
>>17263188
Yeah, I guess it was about a week ago.
>>
File: colour from outer space.jpg (128 KB, 538x750) Image search: [Google]
colour from outer space.jpg
128 KB, 538x750
Start with the obvious:

From Beyond (1986)
Re-Animator (1985)
In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Dagon (2001)

These are films based on my own opinion to be lovecraftian in some way or another:

They Live (1988)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Dark City (1998)
Event Horizon (1997)
The Unnamable (1988)
>>
B-bump
>>
File: the beyond.jpg (495 KB, 1080x1600) Image search: [Google]
the beyond.jpg
495 KB, 1080x1600
The Beyond (1981), not a Lovecraft adaptation, but It has a strong Lovecraftian feeling throughout
>>
Lovecraft a shit.
>>
>>17265377
whoa, useful, thanks for contributing, have some upvotes
>>
>>17262751
There were a lot of hits and misses in that series, but I loved every minute of it. There was also H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch House. Not nearly as good as Cigarette Burns but I still liked it.
>>
Cabin in the Woods is the shit. Its lovecraftian but also has like tons of nods to other horror movies.
>>
>>17267387
Love that series too. If only more shows like this were made.
>>
>>17267407
It was a good movie, rather funny, but I'm looking for something more on the frightening side.
>>
>>17267434
Yea. Even the bad episodes had this indescribable quality that I loved. I looked on imdb and apparently there was another similar show that was made in 2008-2009 called Fear Itself. I may try that out tomorrow if I get a chance.
>>
Bumpin'
>>
>>17267407
Cabin in the Woods isn't Lovecraftian you fucking dullard.
>>
>>17267407
>>17270272
The only Lovecraftian aspect was the giant gods that need sacrifices to stop them from ending the world. And that wasn't really a big part of the movie until the last 30 minutes.
>>
>>17270303
Even then, the old gods weren't Lovecraftian.

Lovecraft's Gods are ancient cosmic entities that are completely incomprehensible and don't give a shit about the physical universe at large. Their existence and actions merely causes such massive destruction that they are comparable to cosmic forces of nature.

The Old Gods in Cabin in the Woods were completely understandable, to the point that not only did they know what they wanted, but they also knew why they wanted it. On top of that they were just a satire of theatre audiences.

There was nothing Lovecraftian about Cabin in the Woods.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.