[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 512dL7uP0AL.jpg (47 KB, 312x500) Image search: [Google]
512dL7uP0AL.jpg
47 KB, 312x500
Looking for the creepiest horror novels/short stories ever written. I've been on a reading binge and wanted to drive myself away from lovecraft for a bit. I need a creepy read.
>>
Depending on what you find creepy you may like I Have No Mouth, But I Must Scream.

http://hermiene.net/short-stories/i_have_no_mouth.html
>>
>>17211675
Fucking love this one.

OP, check out "The Deep" by Nick Cutter. I'll greentext a rough plot outline, with no spoilers.

>strange disease wiping out mankind
>main character is a regular joe
>brother is a genius scientist working on a cure
>find weird, curative goo on the ocean floor
>build a lab at the bottom of the Challenger Deep to find more
>lose contact with lab for a while
>finally receive a radio transmission
>main character's brother asks them to find the main character and send him down to the lab
>he goes down
>fucking shit hits the fan

It's been described as 'The Shining, at the bottom of the ocean'. It's got a bit of everything - deep sea creepiness, claustrophobic moments (the lab is very small, think ISS), monsters, body horror, I even got a Lovecraftian vibe from the ending. Fuck, I just love it.
>>
>>17212151
You read "Sphere" by Michael Chrichton? You might like it based on how hyped you were about that^.

Also read Swarm, by Frank Schatzing.

Both cool ocean based horrors.
>>
>>17211372
Some awesome anon sent me this a while back, I really liked it. It has a really good chilly atmosphere, both figuratively and literally.

https://maggiemcneill.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/the-wendigo-by-algernon-blackwood.pdf
>>
>>17212526
I haven't read it, but I'll definitely check j out. Thank you, sir.

OP, I might recommend 'The King In Yellow' by Robert Chambers. It's a collection of short stories with a Lovecraftian feel to them. Chambers and Lovecraft were contemporaries, in fact. The last two stories in the book are more or less just love stories, but the first five or so are great supernatural/horror reads.
>>
Pick up a couple of Laird Barron's collections.
The best imo is The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All.
Then if you read and enjoy his short fiction, he has a couple novels; The Croning and The Light Is The Darkness.

I got into his work recently and since then he's become my favorite horror author, if not my favorite author overall.
>>
>>17212151
I read The Troop.
I wonder how plausible are the worms in that book.
>>
Summer of the Ubume is really good. Think locked room mystery meets ghost story.
>>
Naomi's Room by Aycliffe is probably the scariest, most disturbing novel I've ever read.

Off Season (Ketchum) and Floating Dragon (Straub) are close seconds.

Short stories are really the best format for horror, though. Too tough to sustain atmosphere and dread over much length.

Clive Barker's Books of Blood (Vols. 1-3), The Dark Descent (ed. by Blackwell), The Weird (ed. by the VanderMeers), and 999 (Edited by Sarrantonio) are all fantastic collections.

>>17212560
Virtually everything by Blackwood is worth reading, but if you liked The Wendigo, try The Willows.
>>
>>17211372

Dan Simmons has some strong horror fiction

>Carrion Comfort
>Song of Kali
>The Terror
>The Abominable

The GOAT horror novel is Gene Wolfe's Peace but it will go far over the heads of your average /x/phile
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.