[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
atheism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: bear-hunting.jpg (30 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
bear-hunting.jpg
30 KB, 400x300
Why do atheists preach their religious beliefs to everyone even though technically they aren't qualified to preach anything about religion?

It seems weird to have someone talk about religion even though they don't have any religious standards/anti-religious.
>>
>>17157785
Buddy, going by your standards, Theists need to stop talking about Atheism, and boy do THEY have a lot to say about it!
>>
>>17157787
It just seems like a silly argument.

>"I am right, there is no God because we can't prove it and I said so it must be true"
Then
>"Oh yeah, well you are going to hell because you didn't listen to me I'm saved hallelujah"
>>
>>17157802
welcome to most of philosophy
>>
>>17157785
>Why do atheists preach their religious beliefs
K so for starters you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the word
>even though technically they aren't qualified to preach anything about religion?
I was taught religion my entire childhood, I have a very good knowledge of it
>>
>>17157851
It's why we shouldn't add a Philosophy board but Hiro is such a pushover it's not even funny...
>>
>>17157802
Well there's moral opposition to religion as a reason to not believe.
>>
>>17157855
>for starters you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the word
Didn't come here to be mean, I meant "religious" in a certain context, figured it was self explanatory

>Matthew 18:3

And He said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

I think when we are adults, we get so caught up in our life and our desires that we seek to fulfill that we forget about God and act as if the thought of Him isn't logical, hence why we are told to go back to the times when we are younger to gain a higher perspective about opening up to God
>>
>>17157857
I guess it is just a boundary between sense indulgence and sense restraint, and the battle continues of who is "more morally" right.

Both sides see the other side being trapped, but really the argument is what is trapping them, because who is really going to budge?
>>
>>17157861
I don't like the idea that this life on earth doesn't matter. If you think like that then you aren't going to give a shit about nature or the people coming after you're dead. I see most religions as just taking the easy way out and not dealing with problems, which in the end always just creates even more.
Avoidance doesn't solve anything.
>>
>>17157864
Not saying any of that, you can enjoy the life you live, it just is important to be able to distinguish matter from Spirit.

All of our desires and gain and wealth and our bodies are temporary, yet we chase after material things in this life as if they are eternally material, forever.

If enough people make claims about there being a Spirit of God, it is evident by testimony of it having validity, so it isn't a hard process to establish the connection between God and person.

Health for physical life and spiritual simultaneously have their importance
>>
>>17157864
>>17157884
You guys, check this out, two preachy 16 year olds gettin' INTO it over here!
>>
>>17157894
i fuked you're mom last night
>>
>>17157785
Atheists don't preech religious beliefs
They preech an absence of them
>>
>>17157894
>>17157899

And then people like this come in and ruin a good conversation for the sake of a lame joke, all to discredit something that could be productive.
>>
>>17157905
I meant that in a certain context, because it can spread the same way religion does.
>>
>>17157899
These things happen
>>
>>17157906
I assure you, nothing like that's happened here.
>>
>>17157785

>Why do atheists preach their religious beliefs

That's where I stopped reading.
>>
An atheist doesn't necessarily mean someone who isn't religious, just that they don't believe in a god or gods.
>>
>>17157785
People want other people to hold the same view they do. Restricting it to atheists is inflammatory but whatever. My reasoning behind giving comments on the matter (which I rarely do) is that on the scales where it matters religion is extremely damaging to us as a species. A species wide understanding of how the universe works and how to approach solving its mysteries is effectively undermined by religion.

Other than that I am an advocate of logic. Anything that says "believe this and behave like this because if you don't everyone hates you and you will have a very unpleasant eternity" does not seem to be a rational path to take in life.. Which is putting it mildly.

Please; any theistic belief holders, think very carefully on where your belief comes from and its alternatives.

He who loves knowledge loves being corrected.
>>
>>17161139
How is religion damaging? America has a big Christian population yet is on the forefront of technological innovation. You are also oversimplifying religion, many religious people support scientific research.

So you don't like to follow the law, because if don't follow them that is exactly what will happen. Certain laws and rules have to be established in order to create progress.
>>
File: 1405196496610.png (39 KB, 400x378) Image search: [Google]
1405196496610.png
39 KB, 400x378
>>17161139

Theistic absurdist here

Your logic is far more toxic to the human race than religion is. Athiesm was never the religion of logic anyway, that would be agnosticism.
>>
I put atheists and theists in the same box, usually. Both are widely preachy, dogmatic, and closed-minded.
Atheists say, "There is no solid proof of God's existence, so he isn't real!"
Theists say, "There is no solid proof against God's existence, so you can't say he isn't real!"

They are two sides of the same coin. They both go around in circles, arguing about something that neither of them can prove for certain. Just like a dog chasing its own tail.
>>
>>17161139
>he thinks atheism is logical
Agnosticism is more logical, if you look at the bigger picture.
>>
>>17161443
>inb4 fedora fags hijack agnosticism for their own use
>>
File: 1449967913138.jpg (127 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1449967913138.jpg
127 KB, 403x403
>>17157787
>>
>>17157785
Because atheism is the opposite to Christianity - satanism is in its essence a very perverted version of Christianity rather than total rejection of it - and therefore obeys the law of duality. If Christianity,or any other religion, didn't exist, atheism also would fall out of existence, because it would have nothing to oppose to.
Atheism and religion are like man and woman: no matter how much they hate each other, they are defined by the other.
Also, the majority of atheists aren't really that smart or clever. All the atheist I met didn't feel shameful about using physical violence, just like the ones they hate so much, to teach religious people a lesson about logic.
Just change Christian beliefs to atheist ones in this, and you'll get an average atheist:
http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Top-Ten-Signs-Youre-a-Fundamentalist-Christian-20130707
If you're truly intelligent, you'll just stop playing this autistic game of us vs them and drop out of it altogether.
>>
>>17161437
They are getting there though.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11144442/First-hint-of-life-after-death-in-biggest-ever-scientific-study.html
>>
Because human issues indicate humans likely unable to construct real solutions to global issues while entertaining the concept that God exists
Those certain of God are least willing to systematically eradicate government corruption
Rather they are calling their own environmental degradation God's prophesied will AKA The Apocalypse (which comes from Greek and means uncover, not destruction)
IMHO
>>
Athiests are fucking boring and under 21, once the edge wears off or they experience real life they come around
>>
>>17161496
God is going to have to do something if we discover Heaven though...
>>
>aren't qualified

What qualifies an atheist to talk about religion in your opinion OP? Having a doctorate of divinities?
For that matter, what qualifies a theist to talk about atheism?
Explain OP.
>>
File: The-neverending-still-2.jpg (78 KB, 720x545) Image search: [Google]
The-neverending-still-2.jpg
78 KB, 720x545
>>17157785
Can't even do the meme right...apply yourself. 1/10.
>>
>>17161863
What are memes?

>>17161761
I mean as in, when someone realizes their soul, why you gotta bust their balls about it and try to get them stray away?

>>17161607
Agreed. I need someone I can talk to about God 24/7

>>17161600
>>17161469
I think you can uncover universal secrets and still be "religious"
>>
>>17161469
This guy gets it.
>>
>>>/his/
Please go
>>
>>17157857
the invalidity of a religion does not invalidate the existance of a god though.
>>
>>17161139
religion isn't damaging though.
Just looking at our religions from an orginizational point af view, most of them are good. Europe would not have recovered from the fall of rome as quickly as it did were it not for the unity the catholic church brought about.

Science would also not be as advanced, specifically in the field of genetics. Let's also not forget that it was a priest who first suggested the big bang theory.

Science is not opposed to religion. Science and religion are supposed to work hand in hand with eachother.

the thing is, Science deals with the physical while religion deals with the meta physical.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.