[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JESUS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: muscle_jesus1.jpg (241 KB, 700x402) Image search: [Google]
muscle_jesus1.jpg
241 KB, 700x402
does it surprise anyone else that christianity managed to become so huge?

christianity was one of the last religions i seriously studied (reading original texts, in this case the gospels, etc) and i was extremely perplexed that a massive worldwide religion emerged out of what amounts to a few pages of miracle working and hallmark card-tier sayings.

i was expecting something different, something a bit... deeper? i don't know, jesus just seems fluffy to me in the gospels, there's not much to go by at all. people really live their entire lives with him as their example?
>>
>>17126784
If you want to know about the stuff you're curious about, reading the bible is the absolute last thing that matters. The text has literally nothing to do with what caused it to thrive.
>>
>>17126784
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdVzGLDCkMU

>You don't have the eyes to see.
>>
>>17126807
inb4 not all pagans worship lucifer
>>
>>17127076
There is only 2 things.
God.
And the rest.
You can worship your own feces, that isn't lucifer. But it is luciferian. And that is key.
>>
>>17126784
>hallmark card-tier sayings

kill yourself faggot
>>
>>17126784
It is pretty surprising, especially if you take it as a philosophy that some guy came up with, or plagarized, two thousand years ago.

On the other hand, I have yet to find a Hallmark card that claims to be the Son of God, or that says it is doing what it sees the Father do and tells you to follow it.

There are Orthodox Christians who say that Christianity does not have much going for it as a philosophy. They believe that the important thing is to join the Church, which is the tree of life, the vine, and the kingdom that Jesus talked about. By doing that, you transplant yourself, as it were, from the dead family tree of Adam to the living family tree of Jesus, who is the new Adam, in place of the original Adam who screwed up by not following God. In short, God came down and planted a family tree parallel to the family tree of Adam and invited anyone who wanted to move to his tree, because the tree of Adam is dead and everything that comes from it and remains on it will eventually die.

The Orthodox Church is what spread throughout the Roman Empire, wrote the books of the New Testament, compiled the canon of the books of the Bible, and defined what the correct belief about Jesus is. They are the only ones who have actually continued to follow him and to preserved all the things that he told his apostles to do and to teach.

The Roman Catholics departed from the Church, and by 1054 were officially dead and gone. Protestantism and everything else that derives from Roman Catholicism was dead before it even started. None of it is part of the Church, and so it misses the whole point even when it preserves some of the Orthodox Church's traditions and teachings.

Of course, today it is getting harder and harder to find the truly Orthodox, since most of them have bought into the idea that everyone who claims to be a Christian, or even worship God (whoever they think he is), is doing essentially the same thing. But that's another story.
>>
>>17126784
Not getting into christianity vs other things and all that (no real opinion and I'm mostly an idiot) but I believe a big reason it got so big was due to the romans adopting it.

Or at least that's what I always gathered.
>>
>>17126784
Modern Christianity is acctually a mishmash of the bible mixed with celebration on Pagan Holidays

Its like the most badass religion, alot of books of the bible were "deleted" because we didn't like them

its kinda fucked up and kinda funny, we made it what we wanted

forgiveness for sin, strive to be better, fogive your enemies, and dont seek revenge, just think that they are going to hell
>>
>>17126784

It's no surprise at all. Monotheism lends itself to imperialism and totalitarianism more readily than any other type of ideology. That made it attractive to leaders who enforced it from the top down.
>>
>>17127236
also pre christianity alot of the religion looked like it, like in Egyptian myth, half that shit is just redone into the bible

and christmas is Yule

we cellebrate Easter, a pagan holiday, only reworked for christ

Even Jesus is fucked up, We birthed god into a body (or at least a sinless male born to a virgin mother, if you dont think hes god)

Then he went around and performed miracles and told people to be nice

Then we killed him on a cross, the worst fucking way to die, crucifixion, and he apparently rose from the dead 3 days later

And by him dying on the cross, like a blood sacrifice, and btw i know christians and they always talk about "THE BLOOD" that blood is the whole thing that saves us now

we no longer, now that we killed god, have to sacrifice animals and burn them to please gods

like we used to have to do fucked up things to please god, now that jesus died we just pray for forgiveness and its all chill

Thats so much more useful than having to burn cows
>>
>>17126784

Because life was shit tier in the middle ages. People believed their lives were meaningless, and the only present religion that promised an afterlife - a meaning to all of their toil - was Christianity.

They told their children about how they'll go to heaven if they're good. Children have very malleable beliefs, and generally go off of what their parents say. They passed it on to THEIR cjildren, and so on.
>>
File: k0EPAMDC.jpg (39 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
k0EPAMDC.jpg
39 KB, 480x360
>>17126784
Christianity is huge because it was taken over by the Romans who still rule the world using the religion as a front

>>17127076
Actually, pretty much any form of "sun worship" is worship of Lucifer and Osiris

>>17127236
>deleted
Yup. Jesus says "Stay close to my yoke" and yoke in Sanskrit is the root (yuj) of the word Yoga, to unite with the divine.

Jesus essentially said "Stay close to my Yoga"

He never said be a Roman Catholic orthodox or "join the church and do the rituals it comes with" he says "Stay close to my Yoga"

Stay close to Him, you might find yourself in a church or even a Buddhist temple, everyone has a different experience

>>17127241
>monotheism leads to imperialism
Not the God Himself, but the people who take the religion as use "God" as an excuse and scapegoat.

I touched the crown, the only religion is love for God, and starting wars and using religion to scheme your plot is not love for God.

>>17127258
You cannot kill God, but every now and then society plots against the greatest of messengers to symbolically "kill God" and the message He wants all to know. His true face is shut down my stereotyping mainstream religion and the anti-theism of His nature.

>>17127259
If you don't love God like a child, how will you expect to enter the Kingdom of Heaven
>>
http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/11/reasons-to-be-ashamed-and-not-fan-of.html
>>
31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
>>
>>17126784
spoken like a true muslim
>>
>>17126784
What surprises me more is there is not internal push to change the focus. We don't need more talk of sacrifice, even if it's the one that "Jesus" made. We need more strong and independent men and women, more capable to act. I've been influenced by the ideas of Thelema, yes. It's one of the best things I've ever read and some of what I see in it could be used to make Christianity good. The Second Reformation could be within our lifetime, if we can do something about the ones holding us back. That is the problem - some people won't go along with a non-salvationist Christianity.
>>
>>17128525
>>
>>17127212

Catholic here, I hope you do realise that even after the Great Schism we weren't having problems with each other, since the differences within the theologies were starting to take different paths from the 4th century, Eastern Churches were dealing with Christology and Trinitary theology, while the Western Church was dealing with soteriology, also there's the "problem" with the Holy Spirit, Western Church believes he flows from the Father and the Son while Eastern Churches believe it flows through the Father and Son (I hope you will understand what I meant, English is not my 1st language). Distinction between Orthodox and Catholic started only when Crusaders sacked Constantionople, but it was a secular and not a religious act, they were promised a reward if they interfered in the dinastic battles in it.
I agree with you, protestantism is a cancer to the Church of Christ which I hope and pray will be cured. I believe the biggest ecumenical problem is that the protestants would like to come in union with the Church but they wouldn't change their heretical doctrine while Orthodox churches have almost all of the doctrine and valid sacraments but they have almost 0 interest in joining in. Protestants give Christ without the cross, Orthodox give cross without the Christ while the Catholics give Christ on cross.
God bless you and have a blessed and joyful Christmas.
>>
>>17126784
>i was extremely perplexed that a massive worldwide religion emerged out of what amounts to a few pages of miracle working and hallmark card-tier sayings.
>i was expecting something different, something a bit... deeper?
If you think that's all there is, you didn't study very much. The people who believe that the Bible is the only text relevant to Christianity are in the minority.
>>
>>17127241
>It's no surprise at all. Monotheism lends itself to imperialism and totalitarianism more readily than any other type of ideology.
Which is why most of the Roman Empire's expansion occurred when it was Pagan. Oh, wait...
>>
Same way soccer is the most popular sport, it is the most accessible, dull and simple of them all, which appeals to the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>17126807
I'm like 16 mins in. When does he get the time to study all this???
>>
>>17129951
Some of us spend years studying this. What else am I supposed to do? Masturbate and watch cartoons, play video games, go get drunk? Go party? Nah.
>>
File: KJVonly.png (396 KB, 728x1080) Image search: [Google]
KJVonly.png
396 KB, 728x1080
>>17129951
Besides, when someone gets saved, they get the holy spirit, and you get a spiritual gift from God. This is his spiritual gift. Jesus Christ is God.

>Do you want to go to Heaven? Pic related. It's easy.
>>
>>17126784
Can't stump the logos
>>
File: anthony.jpg (120 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
anthony.jpg
120 KB, 480x300
>>17126784
>christianity was one of the last religions i seriously studied
>reading original texts, in this case the gospels, etc

In this case, what you consider to be a "serious" study is nothing more than a child's play at study.
>something a bit... deeper?

Before we jump off, I do hope you've read the epistles. The apostles clarify a shit ton about doctrine not featured in the gospels alone.

If you're still lacking then, read some church fathers...

>http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/

I specifically recommend Aquinas' Summa Theologica, Augustine's City of God, and (since this IS /x/ and full of gnostics) Irenaeus' Against Heresies.

If you still want complex, mysterious shit, go ahead and read through the Sayings of the Desert Fathers:

>http://www.copticbook.net/books/20101029002.pdf

Pic related get's thrown about here alot; it's St.Anthony, who's words are featured in the Sayings.

tl;dr Christianity seems shallow because you made shallow work of it. Read more.
>>
>>17126784
Don't underestimate the fact that they leaped into the bureaucratic void filled by the fall of ancient Rome.
>all that infrastructure
>>
>>17130794
>something a bit deeper
Like the fact that Christianity is simply watered-down paganism, as attested by Justin Martyr's Apologies where he tries to placate the Christians by saying there's no need to fear us as we're doing nothing different than what you're used to (Hercules, Isis/Osiris, and so on)?

Like the fact that the Ten Commandments are simply a part taken, almost word for word, from the Egyptian Book of the Dead? That the end prayer is a call to an Egyptian deity (Amen/Amon)?

You mean, like that kind of depth?

Anyone can believe what they want, but when you try to point out a whole school of beliefs that are based upon historical forgeries, you're up the creek without a paddle. If Christians left Christianity as a religious mythology and didn't present it as absolute one-truth fact, there would be far fewer problems. But they do, and there are.
>>
The gospels are essentially the cliffs notes of a much deeper oral tradition. You`re gonna have to look to other writings to get deeper ie "the cloud of unknowing" etc

>>17130837
>That the end prayer is a call to an Egyptian deity (Amen/Amon)?

How about no? Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic all have a variation of "amen" meaning "so be it" . Just about every time Jesus says "verily" was amen before translation for fucks sake.Also your interpretation of Martyr is so wildly off its not even funny.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.