[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you first become interested in /x/ type stuff? For me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 13
File: isonimoy1.jpg (27 KB, 498x374) Image search: [Google]
isonimoy1.jpg
27 KB, 498x374
How did you first become interested in /x/ type stuff? For me it was this glorious piece of media.
>>
RIP William Bell
>>
I guess I just always have been
I'm sure Harry Potter books didn't hurt
>>
File: 1441147926177.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1441147926177.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
>>17105813
>be 6 years old.
>just started 1st. Grade.
>first month of class, class trip to library to learn Dewey Decimal System and how to check out books.
>there's a paranormal section.
>fuck yeah, knowledge!
>get book on cryptids, spirits and ayy lmaos.
>get spooked.
>have to find out how to deal with this shit.
>start studying.
> go deep into this shit.
>mfw the ride never ends.
>>
Same here OP. God just look at that sexy stash.
>>
My brother was 12 when I was born, he was really into horror. When we started to share a room (I think I was 3) he would always put on some horror type show. That's the only thing I can think of as to why I'm so into the macabre. Conspiracy theories.. I guess the Xfiles.
>>
>>17105999
Nice trips. My elementary school library had a little paranormal section. I found a cool book about Bigfoot there I checked out a lot. I can't remember the name of the author tho.. it was basically just a collection of Bigfoot cases presented for kids, and each case had a cool painting corresponding to it. I wish I could find it again. There was one painting with Bigfoot standing in a field of sunflowers looking over It's shoulder at the viewer with these creepy black eyes. It was hard to look at as a kid. 2spooky.
>>
When I was young and first learned to read, began to haunt the school and local library. Two topics, of all the colorful sections for beginner readers, I was obsessed with Ancient Egypt/Mesoamerica (I still don't understand why) and Paranormal books. Drawings of ritual sacrifice by the Aztecs, Bigfoot, UFOs, hell even spontaneous human combustion (that REALLY fucked my young mind up); I couldn't get enough of this stuff, though it terrified me. I mean, the idea of little grey men spiriting me away in the night, that kinda stuff, like I said, fucked my 5 year old mind up.

And now I'm an /x/phile.
>>
File: Imnotspillingthisshitnigga.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Imnotspillingthisshitnigga.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>17106069
>tfw I get to be the crazy uncle future /x/philes will read about.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (825 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
825 KB, 280x210
>>17105813
In Search of... was a bit before my time. My first intro to /x/ material was Unsolved Mysteries. The funny thing is the /x/ stuff on Unsolved Mysteries was all I was interested in seeing. If it was an unsolved crime or murder segment I would skip it, but if there was a UFO, cryptid, ghost, missing person segment it got my full attention.
>>
>>17105813

When I was about 6 years old I saw the Patterson Gimlin bigfoot footage on TV and something clicked because my whole life I was having nightmares about hairy monsters chasing and eating me alive. Maybe that was subconsciously inspired by seeing the Trolls in "Willow" though, who knows. I was soon reading about Bigfoot and Ghosts and Sea Monsters and never really stopped. As it turns out I just happened to be born in an area where Sasquatch is closely tied to local history as well but I didn't learn the details about that until I was older. Since then I've had UFO, Ghost and (arguably) Sassamo experiences of my own.

>>17106705

Oh yeah Unsolved Mysteries was awesome.
>>
>>17106779

>your whole life
>6 years old

So about 5 minutes after you became conscious?
>>
Kid's nowadays don't know shit, Lebowski. Dat warped nightmare visions of Stephen Gammell.

It didn't help there's a cemetery literally beyond my back yard. I used to clean all litter up in the cemetery because I had instilled it in myself that if young me didn't do it, the ghosts would come spoop me.
>>
File: willow-troll.png (475 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
willow-troll.png
475 KB, 1280x544
>>17106809

Maybe so. Maybe so.
>>
>>17105813
Saw my first ghost when I was 7 or so, in a house that was very "charged" (and which later burned down right after we moved out), where I also met the Hat Man soon after face to face. This was all in the mid-late '70s.

From there, since you just accept these things as a kid, it wasn't until I was in high-school that I realized that kind of stuff wasn't 'normal' by finding a book on the occult in the hs library.
>>
>>17106868

So you started young with firsthand experience that's quite a start. Did you already post your hatman story in the hatman thread?
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 300x300
I started reading when I was almost 3 (no shit). My mom had all sorts of books about ghosts, UFOs and ESP. I'd sit over the bathroom heater vent with my blankie covering my legs (comfy as fuck) and read this stuff. She'd take me to horror movies and buy Fangoria magazine for me when I was in Kindergarten. Having a Masters degree in History was open to learning and teaching me everything that was out there, even the things that were "unprovable". What solidified my interest was my first grade teacher gave us the book "13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey" about real paranormal happenings in our state (with PHOTOS) and invited the author (who lived with a ghost she named Jeffrey) to speak to our class. We even went on a field trip to see one of the sites (a face in a window of an old country courthouse that would reappear every time the window was broken or changed) which was awesome and creepy as fuck at the same time.

I can't imagine a school doing that now. But that's another post for another thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (451 KB, 1292x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451 KB, 1292x1600
>>17106971
This is the author of the book.
>>
>>17106971
>>17106974
http://www.courthousewindow.com/the-story.html
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 600x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 600x1000
>>17106971
i remember that book! mine had a fluffy black cat photo on the front

that's pretty cool anon :D

as a kid i kind of embodied the movie carrie. my mom instilled in me a healthy (or perhaps unhealthy haha) christian terror of satan and an imminently impending apocalypse. i did develop a habit of prayer which i am thankful for but as i grew up i developed a fascination with dark, demonic type stuff which seems only natural seeing as i was raised to be in terror but also in admitted awe of black magic. i thought this kind of magic was the only type of magic. combined with a best friend, like a full on /x/phile who got me interested in chemtrails, 9/11 was an inside job, lucid dreaming, alien abduction and psychedelics when we were 12/13 or so pretty well set me up to lose my shit, most effectively triggered when we started playing with a ouija board because lonely/halloween. all sorts of weird stuff happened because of that, and i became obsessed and started playing with it alone. i was petrified that i had opened doors to demons - my mom had convinced me this is what ouija does - but again lonely and i decided that i was completely fucked already and invited the thing i was talking to on the ouija board inside my head

shit was weird, sparked some psychic phenomena, but because of this i have become somewhat educated on poltergeist, telekinetic and general cult phenomena. i feel that these interests were always inside me but the chain of events was required to spark things into place. many years later and in some ways still dealing with fears of god and the devil and everything inbetween. at least i know now that i do not know anything. and i try to view the world, unseen or not from a healthier perspective rather than a perpetual warfare of good and evil. i think on the whole the universe is a bit cold but not in a bad way, just a little detached with perhaps a hint of benevolence
>>
I remember owning a book about historical ghost stories. They were creepy as fuck for a ~10 year old.

/x/ was my first board on here after I realised /b/ (remember when we had to write 'bee'?) was pretty bad. It has fueled the fires of my curiosity ever since.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 323x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 323x475
>>17106971
>>17107018
this was it. so good
>>
>>17106896
Probably. I've posted it a few times on /x/ and have very recently. It happened in a dream-within-a-dream. I would say that it was a lucid dream, the controlling dream (as I've had many lucid dreams and know what they're like) that I woke up into, but it was 'more' than that. It was indistinguishable from reality, happening where I was sleeping, right time and everything. Possibly that part was astral, if that makes any sense.

This board was where I found out that the Hat Man actually did have an independent existence from me as I'd expected all my life, since I'd never talked about it to anyone but my wife and here were all these stories about this thing/being with perfectly correlating info and images.
>>
>>17107025
Neat! I think I'll pick both of these up and have a fun little read.
>>
>>17105813
I loved that show when I was a kid, and, yes, I am old.
>>
I always was. I remember checking out books on folktales and the paranormal from my school library, and reading plenty of ghost and horror stories. I'm still at it years later.
>>
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
>>
File: cast.jpg (8 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
cast.jpg
8 KB, 320x240
This shit made me a /x/ junkie
>>
>>17108431
Fuck yeah
>>
bomp
>>
>>17105813
Since I was a little kid, I loved monster movies and scary video games. It was just something I, and everyone else I knew, did.
Then I got older and I just stuck with it for fun, and found others who really study this stuff for careers. I still go back for fun, but its cool to see people take it to the professional level
>>
File: stack.jpg (163 KB, 997x1000) Image search: [Google]
stack.jpg
163 KB, 997x1000
>>17105813

Aside from my religion, which was open to all kinds of paranormal phenomena, I think it was Unsolved Mysteries and shows like that.
>>
>>17106971

I remember that book in my middle school library.
>>
>>17105813
I've been mentally ill since the age of 3? Or I look for other reasons for fun. I remember my experiences.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.